Socks thread

Here is another company people talk about. Pretty expensive, and very odd in that the selection is very limited, but said to be very good.

That said, these are some of my favourites, the one colour textured silk/wool Viccels here. The best of all their socks imo. Numerous great colours to choose from. Unlike many Vicels, they are a good length, not too tight on of calf, and stay up.

The second best socks Viccel make are the herringbone silk/wool ones. Not as well fitted...made for Fred Flinstone ankles, but still nice to wear.

Viccel can make very good socks when they put their mind to it, but their hand linked toes are not as refined as the better brands. They are getting better and better.
If the Penance Hall site was more detailed I would have ordered. But there are no product descriptions.

A bit of a treat. Would have liked more discussion on comparing sock brands, in particular Gallo v's Bresciani, and more discussion on the materials, but the video is o.k l guess.

So little discussion on Gallo anywhere, but to me Gallo is the highest form of artistry in a sock - so fine, and makes other socks look blobby in comparison. Not always an ideal sock though, sometimes a more meaty sock like Bresciani wool is warranted, but sometimes the high level purity of a Gallo is needed. Some sock daddies tell me l don't know what l am talking about, but I trust my instincts on Gallo. Gallo is a mighty fine sock, the best l own. It's not an everyday sock for me, but reserved for every now and again (maybe once a week).

Last edited:
A bit of a treat. Would have liked more discussion on comparing sock brands, in particular Gallo v's Bresciani, and more discussion on the materials, but the video is o.k l guess.

So little discussion on Gallo anywhere, but to me Gallo is the highest form of artistry in a sock - so fine, and makes other socks look blobby in comparison. Not always an ideal sock though, sometimes a more meaty sock like Bresciani wool is warranted, but sometimes the high level purity of a Gallo is needed. Some sock daddies tell me l don't know what l am talking about, but I trust my instincts on Gallo. Gallo is a mighty fine sock, the best l own. It's not an everyday sock for me, but reserved for every now and again (maybe once a week).

Yes, interesting video. As you say, no comparisons between different brands, nor any sort of quality classification, but, as always, enjoyable and entertaining material.
Some few points: making a pair of socks in vicuna is an absolute nonsense. As much as I like my socks and love to have them luxurious and exclusive, I would never spend heaps of money (520 EUR) in a garment so prone to have a (very) short life.
I don't like silk for socks, neither in its finest expression for evening dress, nor in the less formal version offered by Mazarin. I tried some of them and they could by no extent meet my expectations, as touch, consistency and durability.
I think instead that having bespoke socks could be a very good idea, especially for people like me, who prefer wool to cotton, but can't find much variety in the offer.

Some few points: making a pair of socks in vicuna is an absolute nonsense. As much as I like my socks and love to have them luxurious and exclusive, I would never spend heaps of money (520 EUR) in a garment so prone to have a (very) short life.

It was interesting to hear that hardly anyone owns vicuna socks. The market is smaller than small. Would love to own a bunch of pairs, but could never justify it. Who has ever owned vicuna socks on the forums?...probably no-one.

Remember these vicuna socks sold in a handmade box.
Vicuna socks.jpg

and then there are those red deer socks at William Abraham that are about 1,200 euro. I would think hardly anyone owns those, more than twice the price of vicuna sox.

I don't like silk for socks, neither in its finest expression for evening dress, nor in the less formal version offered by Mazarin. I tried some of them and they could by no extent meet my expectations, as touch, consistency and durability.
I think instead that having bespoke socks could be a very good idea, especially for people like me, who prefer wool to cotton, but can't find much variety in the offer.

Silk socks look really nice in the pictures l see, but l think a combo with other materials is probably better (thicker and more durable). It is interesting how they said silk on it's own is not durable, nor is cashmere, but when combined in a 70% cashmere with 30% silk the combo is stronger than the separates.

I will try silk cashmeres if l can work out how to buy from that site.

Silk socks look really nice in the pictures l see, but l think a combo with other materials is probably better (thicker and more durable). It is interesting how they said silk on it's own is not durable, nor is cashmere, but when combined in a 70% cashmere with 30% silk the combo is stronger than the separates.

I have a 70% cashmere 30% silk crewneck sweater by Sergio Nessci of Rome thats easy 10 years old. Still like new Shooey and I've wore it a lot. Colours are super strong still as well. Never pilled either.

It was interesting to hear that hardly anyone owns vicuna socks. The market is smaller than small. Would love to own a bunch of pairs, but could never justify it. Who has ever owned vicuna socks on the forums?...probably no-one.

I'm also interested in buying some cashmere/silk blend items. My Falke cashmere/nylon socks feel pretty sturdy, but the silk could provide some durability as well, without turning to artificial fibres.

I'm also interested in buying some cashmere/silk blend items. My Falke cashmere/nylon socks feel pretty sturdy, but the silk could provide some durability as well, without turning to artificial fibres.

Kabbaz was saying that some silk/cashmere combos last over 100 wears. I think l remembering him saying that was the most durable combination.

See this post:

He also made a post on the forums somewhere talking up the silk/cashmere as durable. Unfortunately he sells the one-size-fits-all in silk/cashmeres.

Why don't you try to contact them at: contact@meschaussettesrouges.com? I could buy some items this way from other producers.

Funny enough, each time l have tried to contact them on the fill out contact form it never sent, and l lose my message each time. It is crazy. Has been impossible to contact and impossible to buy.

Thanks for that email contact, l will use it if l need it.

BUT

Was just checking the payment methods, and they use paypal, so when l order sox again l will try it and see if it works. Credit card never works on that site or many european websites, but paypal does. Interestingly enough, I was never able to buy from Vass until they included paypal more recently.

I like there site because postage is only 7 euro compared to about 60 euro from Gallo and Kabbaz. I am sick of paying about $85 to have socks delivered, completely over it. Kirby is the same. Corgi postage is more reasonable.

Remember these vicuna socks sold in a handmade box.
Vicuna socks.jpg

I saw these in the KaDeWe store in Berlin some years ago, at neaby 900 EUR, if I remember correctly. Lovely natural colour by the way, but, as you say, only a millionaire could justify the purchase of such garments.

Funny enough, each time l have tried to contact them on the fill out contact form it never sent, and l lose my message each time. It is crazy. Has been impossible to contact and impossible to buy.

Thanks for that email contact, l will use it if l need it.

BUT

Was just checking the payment methods, and they use paypal, so when l order sox again l will try it and see if it works. Credit card never works on that site or many european websites, but paypal does. Interestingly enough, I was never able to buy from Vass until they included paypal more recently.

I like there site because they postage is only 7 euro compared to about 60 euro from Gallo and Kabbaz. I am sick of paying about $85 to have socks delivered, completely over it. Kirby is the same.

I always use PayPal when possible, it also gives you more protection.

florisgreen florisgreen are you able to tell me why you don't think the Gallo socks are as good anymore?

As already said, the vast majority of Gallo production is nowadays represented by very fancy to tacky one-size-fits-all socks. That's the reason I don't acknowledge them a high status any longer.
This doesn't mean that it's not a prestigious brand and their high-end products are not excellent anymore.

Some sock daddies tell me l don't know what l am talking about, but I trust my instincts on Gallo. Gallo is a mighty fine sock, the best l own. It's not an everyday sock for me, but reserved for every now and again (maybe once a week).

The ones you bought, from the Tailoring line, are certainly good quality, and I can understand your appreciation, but they represent a very small percentage in their whole production.

Screenshot (690).png
Screenshot (691).png

By the way, interestingly almost the totality of high quality socks, similarly to high-end knitwear, comes either from Italy or the UK, with very few exceptions, like Falke in Germany.
Mes Chaussettes Rouges for example is French, but the socks under their own brand Mazarin are all produced in Italy. Just the bespoke items are made in their workshop in Paris, with an Italian machine though.

Last edited:
The ones you bought, from the Tailoring line, are certainly good quality, and I can understand your appreciation, but they represent a very small percentage in their whole production.

View attachment 41218View attachment 41219

Now this post is a very interesting one, and now l am starting to understand Gallo better. The lines of socks, AHA! I study it for a moment and l see about 3 lines and some unclassified. Non poly patterned cottons are priced higher and a higher line.

Classic = no pattern, but full cotton
Collection Line = patterned socks with poly in them
Tailoring Line = patterned socks of pure cotton or pattered socks of wool with poly in them.

Interestingly enough, those 100% wool socks are classified as belonging to a seasoned collection.

By the way, interestingly almost the totality of high quality socks, similarly to high-end knitwear, comes either from Italy or the UK, with very few exceptions, like Falke in Germany.

Yes. Just as interesting is how my Loro Piana cashmere hasn't pilled, yet any made-in-Scotland highend cashmere after 1990 has pilled. My Borrelli cashmere jumper has never pilled despite decent wear, and l suspect it was made by Loro Piana too because the quality is amazing.

I understand that Loro Piana has their own cashmere source where the goats are brought up the traditional way in inner Mongola with great quality control.

It is all about quality products and factory workers having pride in making quality, but globalisation has destroyed that thinking now. Everything has become warped now...it's all about selling off jobs and making poor quality products. The CEOs have become dumb, they make lots of money but they have nothing to show for it except a big mess. We need real CEOs to take control again, not greedy grubs.

Mes Chaussettes Rouges for example is French, but the socks under their own brand Mazarin are all produced in Italy. Just the bespoke items are made in their workshop in Paris, with an Italian machine though.

Yes, Dore dore is also French, but a very high poly count. Never have been tempted to get them because of that reason.

Never knew Mazarin was their brand.

We are very lucky that some makers continue to make good things and enough men are willing to buy them. I believe we will go back to the old ways because we will realise it was better when great products were made and manufacturing jobs offered men real employment instead of the silly nonsense employment we see around now.

About five years ago there were many UK start up Sock manufacturers, even Emma Willis bought a sock machine. I will have to list them if they survived the start up period.

About five years ago there were many UK start up Sock manufacturers, even Emma Willis bought a sock machine. I will have to list them if they survived the start up period.

Can you give some informations and advices about them? Is any one worth of note?

Can you give some informations and advices about them? Is any one worth of note?
I haven't bought from any of the:

Sock and Trotter - Dissolved

There was a start up in Bath, but I can't find any information on them.

I haven't bought from any of the:

Sock and Trotter - Dissolved

There was a start up in Bath, but I can't find any information on them.

Noteworthy that some suppliers does not offer at all over the calf socks. From what I've seen, nothing interesting.

Probably a stupid question - when do you guys get rid of your socks?

I've always been convinced that socks are consumables, so I've bought various named brands to try out when they're on discount just in case. To my shock, I don't think my everyday socks have ever worn out.

I have forced myself to throw out some older ones that have shrunk way too much, or don't feel as nice anymore, but I still have maybe 50+ pairs in total, at least half of them unworn. My taste has outgrown some of the pairs (mainly due to preferring over-the-calf socks, and dislike of synthetic blends); it seems wasteful to buy anything new when I have so many wearable / tolerable socks, and they just won't die.

I've always been convinced that socks are consumables, so I've bought various named brands to try out when they're on discount just in case. To my shock, I don't think my everyday socks have ever worn out.

I have forced myself to throw out some older ones that have shrunk way too much, or don't feel as nice anymore, but I still have maybe 50+ pairs in total, at least half of them unworn. My taste has outgrown some of the pairs (mainly due to preferring over-the-calf socks, and dislike of synthetic blends); it seems wasteful to buy anything new when I have so many wearable / tolerable socks, and they just won't die.

Too much piling, too many/big holes for me to fix, things that I don’t wear anymore.

But lately, after experiencing floris, I might decide to be buried with all my socks

I wear mine to the death. Once they get too shabby for going out in I wear them for work. I work in construction so they get holes in pretty quick but even then I squeeze a few more wears out of them. In the winter I wear two pairs so as long as the holes aren't in the same place they can do me for ages. When I have to top up my work socks I just buy some cheap stuff. I rarely wear socks in home so I don't really need so many pairs.

Next time I going to take Guero's tip and give Calze Sabas a try. 10% off the first order if you sign upto their newsletter and free shipping over 60 euro. They look pretty good. Not that I have much wisdom on the subject beyond wearing socks all my life. :rolleyes:

I get rid of my sox when they are worn out. fxh fxh has made me thrifty, and now l darn my socks when they get holes and runs, and just as well because socks can be an expensive luxury. I have even had crazy ideas about putting in a new heel seat and toe area when they wear out, but l think l am getting too extreme with that idea, fxh planted that seed.

This week l faced my first major sock challenge. One of my nice wool/silk viccel socks could face the scrap heap. Eventhough l have darned them 5 times after only about 12 wears, now a big run has occured and the heel area is getting thin. The work required to fix it would be enormous, and finally l have almost admitted defeat and am tempted to throw them out because the sock has been a nightmare to maintain after minimal wears. I am tempted to get another pair from my enormous sock trunk where l have about 10 identical pairs.

I won't be getting anymore of those silk/cashmere houndstooth pairs, they are too brittle and shrink.

To my shock, I don't think my everyday socks have ever worn out.

haha, you are so lucky.

My socks get holes in them, but l am extra careful to keep my toe nails extra trim since l have started buying big daddy socks.

I have forced myself to throw out some older ones that have shrunk way too much, or don't feel as nice anymore, but I still have maybe 50+ pairs in total, at least half of them unworn.

Good that you keep spare pairs. :cool:

I went through my sock draw the other day and found a pair i've had for about 40 years. My old school sox, and in good condition.

My taste has outgrown some of the pairs (mainly due to preferring over-the-calf socks, and dislike of synthetic blends); it seems wasteful to buy anything new when I have so many wearable / tolerable socks, and they just won't die.

Yep, my bamboo aussie socks just refuse to die. I've worn them over and over again.

Too much piling, too many/big holes for me to fix, things that I don’t wear anymore.

But lately, after experiencing floris, I might decide to be buried with all my socks

It is so tempting to throw them out when they get holes, but l don't like being wasteful when it comes to socks.

Sock report
- My Kabbaz Bresciani argyles have pilled somewhat, and they do fall down every now and again, but overall they are very good socks.
- My Gallo 100% wool socks are incredible. Absolutely faultless. The quality shows, and definitely superior to Bresciani. Great fit and workmanship, and they never fall down. I have them on today with a fantastic fitting handmade shoe, and the feeling is the tops of the tops. The ultimate treat day.

Sauce Sauce I love your cheapness with socks. You wear them until they can't be worn anymore, and even then you squeenze more wears out of them. 😍 I am the same.

Maybe you could install a new toe area and seat so you never have to replace them ever again. :lolguy:

Last edited:
Sauce Sauce I love your cheapness with socks. You wear them until they can't be worn anymore, and even then you squeenze more wears out of them. 😍 I am the same.

Maybe you could install a new toe area and seat so you never have to replace them ever again. :lolguy:
Mate it takes 30 minutes to sew a button on a shirt so repairing a sock like that would be a massive task, well beyond me.

Calze Sabas update for you. I couldn't get Norway up as a country of destination in their options. I sent them a message via their FB page to advise me and they don't ship outside the euro zone. Seems a bit dumb to limit your sales like that? They'll ship to Sweden and I'm 30 minutes from the border.

Maybe I'm too light or sit around too much but these never happen to my socks. The main reason for me to throw them out is when they get too loose and slide down. Some of my low end socks have lasted for 7 years, outlasting even some of my bags:jchan:

Mate it takes 30 minutes to sew a button on a shirt so repairing a sock like that would be a massive task, well beyond me.

Calze Sabas update for you. I couldn't get Norway up as a country of destination in their options. I sent them a message via their FB page to advise me and they don't ship outside the euro zone. Seems a bit dumb to limit your sales like that? They'll ship to Sweden and I'm 30 minutes from the border.
Nah. Darning socks is easy. Just get a mushroom, appropriate needle and matching wool or cotton. holes are always toes or heels so no one ever sees your work.

I’ve rarely had to throw socks out . In fact I can’t remember when I last did.

I have a thing about white socks, almost the only colour I wear with jeans or desert boots.

For construction work, just house repairs etc for myself or friends, or helping son who is a sometime chippy I’m big on Aldi Motobike OTC socks , last forever.

I get rid of my sox when they are worn out. fxh fxh has made me thrifty, and now l darn my socks when they get holes and runs, and just as well because socks can be an expensive luxury. I have even had crazy ideas about putting in a new heel seat and toe area when they wear out, but l think l am getting too extreme with that idea, fxh planted that seed.
I think Kirby Alison briefly mentioned that he repairs his silk socks in one of his videos...likely his wardrobe tour one. Don't think I'd ever do that though.

One of my nice wool/silk viccel socks could face the scrap heap. Eventhough l have darned them 5 times after only about 12 wears, now a big run has occured and the heel area is getting thin.

Shooey, it's quite amazing that the socks have worn so quickly. What are your experiences with other brands of socks - do they also wear quickly?

With regard to Viccel, it could mean one or more of the following:
- they are very fragile;
- you walk an awful lot in dress shoes, much more than most people (are you going for a 10km walk ever day while wearing good socks?); or
- your shoes don't fit properly so you've got lots of rubbing (yes, sacrilegious suggestion, I know!).

Shooey, it's quite amazing that the socks have worn so quickly. What are your experiences with other brands of socks - do they also wear quickly?

With regard to Viccel, it could mean one or more of the following:
- they are very fragile;
- you walk an awful lot in dress shoes, much more than most people (are you going for a 10km walk ever day while wearing good socks?); or
- your shoes don't fit properly so you've got lots of rubbing (yes, sacrilegious suggestion, I know!).

It's the sox. I don't walk far, and my shoes fit good.

Viccel aren't sock experts, so they have had quite a few dogs along the way.

All the different Viccel in these silk/wool houndstooth are dogs. Brittle and shrink. One pair got holes on the first day.
Viccel houndstooth.jpg

These cotton socks are also dogs. They stretch and fall down after a few wears, and they don't fit well around the ankle.
Viccel birdseye.jpg

It's the sox. I don't walk far, and my shoes fit good.

Viccel aren't sock experts, so they have had quite a few dogs along the way.

All the different Viccel in these silk/wool houndstooth are dogs. Brittle and shrink. One pair got holes on the first day.
View attachment 41350

These cotton socks are also dogs. They stretch and fall down after a few wears, and they don't fit well around the ankle.
View attachment 41352
Your feet must be jinxed, Shooey.

Since Florisgreen is no longer with us, I decided to do my part in fulfilling the giant hole he left in our socks... I mean, lives.

I mostly own socks by Bresciani, Gallo, and Mazarin. Merino wool, linen, cotton lisle, a few hunting socks made of lambswool. Every single one is over-the-calf, and I have about 25 pairs combined.

Of these, I find the latter maker to be the worst quality, while I agree with The Shooman The Shooman on Gallo wool socks being absolutely amazeballs. I have had three pairs by them for +5 years, and they are as good as new.

I mostly buy socks in rather subdued colours, with a few patterns here and there. I found these on top of my laundry pile:
CDE9FF41-FB56-4AA3-B9D0-49F464C0D463.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom