Sports Media Thread

John Lee Pettimore III

Supporter
70-100 people are predicted to be laid off today at ESPN. Given the recent leftist political coloring of the network and the trend towards lecturing, Conservatives are claiming some sort of victory, but in my opinion the layoffs are due to a series of poor business decisions and the overall decline of network television. They really overpaid for the NBA and NFL television rights.

70-100 people are predicted to be laid off today at ESPN. Given the recent leftist political coloring of the network and the trend towards lecturing, Conservatives are claiming some sort of victory, but in my opinion the layoffs are due to a series of poor business decisions and the overall decline of network television. They really overpaid for the NBA and NFL television rights.

Really? This has political overtones?

No, you are right that their downfall has been having to pay more for rights to televise events plus almost a billion in lost revenues from decreasing subscribers.

Will be interesting to see who gets gassed. The twittosphere is suggesting half of the cuts will be well known personalities.

i do not understand the new show with michael and jemelle. it seems like sports center with living room furniture and more dumb interviews.

This decision is 100% because ESPN is failing.

I'm not sad about that either.

Their entire NHL staff. In the middle of the Stanley Cup playoffs. :rage:

On the flipside, looks like Ryen Rusillo will have more time to get jacked and play pickup basketball.

I'd like to see a breakdown of who actually watches ESPN anymore. Outside of a college football game or two, I don't think I've watched it in 15 years.

I'd like to see a breakdown of who actually watches ESPN anymore. Outside of a college football game or two, I don't think I've watched it in 15 years.
Same. I listen to the PTI podcast now so I don't have to try and illegally download it.

Wait, wait, wait...

It's all been worth it.

Danny Kanell was canned. This is a glorious day. I'm giddy right now.

ESPN 30 for 30 is still great.

As far as the layoffs, I predict we'll see a lot of new podcasters.

Otherwise, there are too many chicks on ESPN now that don't know shit about sports.

He's a conservative and I actually really like the guy.

I'm baffled that you're disappointed he didn't go with the usual, "I'd like to thank my employer for firing me" bullshit.

Indeed that is bullshit, and 10 years ago I would have agreed, but with millennial culture so ripe with entitlement, it just doesn't ring the same anymore.

I think I finally have a plausible explanation for why all media has veered so suddenly left in the last few years. It's because of Silicon Valley.

For context, this guy was on Tucker Carlson the other night and mentioned it, and I realized he was right, and so did Tucker.

We have gone from a NYC based media, which was still biased left, to a San Francisco based media as its now become technology based and driven. And who populates this space? A bunch of hyper leftist globalists. This finally explains my perception. I'm not moving right, they are moving left. Just look at how pathetic the Washington Post has become under Bezos.

John Lee Pettimore III John Lee Pettimore III

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2017/06/26/Media/ESPN-main.aspx

Taking the pulse of ESPN
The sports media giant is on the defensive about a declining subscriber base, layoffs and executive changes. What happened? And what’s the plan for the future?

That's the best article I've read about it so far. Avoids the whole "this is people fed up with the liberal media" narrative and gets into the actual business and statistics. Thanks for sharing.

Does the Fox Sports guy getting fired also qualify as news in this thread?

I'm just wondering how much that played into Pam Oliver being replaced and then somehow shoehorned back in on a temp contract.

ESPN pulled Korean-American play-by-play announcer Robert Lee from calling the UVA game because of concerns.

Yes, that's right. ESPN thinks you're so stupid that you might tune in and think that Robert E. Lee has risen from the dead, started announcing college football games, and that you'll be offended by it. And you have to love this line from their statement - "It's a shame that this is even a topic of conversation and we regret that who calls play by play for a football game has become an issue." The balls it took to come up with that....

http://deadspin.com/espn-broadcaster-robert-lee-wont-be-calling-virginia-ga-1798333201

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom