Tech Questions

LelandJ

Chicken Testicle Enthusiast
Can't find the deleted video audio forum so ask here.

What's the advantage of getting a "web" TV, is it like any other computer but with cable TV hookup?

Can't find the deleted video audio forum so ask here.

What's the advantage of getting a "web" TV, is it like any other computer but with cable TV hookup?
Alright, so you get your own playground then.

What do you mean by "web"? Give me two TV's that you're looking at, one "web" and one normal.

Just says webOS.

Just want a TV I can use as my laptop monitor as well.

I saw like a 56" LG for $600 at K-mart today, but 65" is $1600 online??

Just says webOS.
WebOS is LG's name for their TV software

LG webOS TVs: Wifi TVs & Magic Remotes with Universal Control | LG USA

Just want a TV I can use as my laptop monitor as well.
To do what? Just browse from the couch? Play games?

I saw like a 56" LG for $600 at K-mart today, but 65" is $1600 online??

The 56 was probably the cheapest version they make and the 65 is on the higher side of the lineup.

I would not recommend LG. Their customer service is fucking abysmal. I'm going through hell with them and their appliances.

WebOS is LG's name for their TV software

LG webOS TVs: Wifi TVs & Magic Remotes with Universal Control | LG USA

To do what? Just browse from the couch? Play games?

The 56 was probably the cheapest version they make and the 65 is on the higher side of the lineup.

I would not recommend LG. Their customer service is fucking abysmal. I'm going through hell with them and their appliances.

I can't get a TV with a cheap shiny plastic black frame which a lot of them seem to have, that design is too hideous to look at. The LG looked nice with their matte brushed aluminum (plastic) frame. Have you had an LG TV before though?

And just to browse, I don't play video games so don't need an IMAX experience but want good non-pixelly imaging.

I can't get a TV with a cheap shiny plastic black frame which a lot of them seem to have, that design is too hideous to look at. The LG looked nice with their matte brushed aluminum (plastic) frame. Have you had an LG TV before though?
No, never had one of their TV's. I can't really help you with TV aesthetics, as that's personal, but I would definitely caution you on picking a set based on that alone.

And just to browse, I don't play video games so don't need an IMAX experience but want good non-pixelly imaging.
How big of a TV do you want? If you're talking 56" inches a screencast is going to be pixelated.

How big of a TV do you want? If you're talking 56" inches a screencast is going to be pixelated.

Somewhere between 60" and 65". The 56" LG I saw today I thought the picture looked really good, couldn't tell completely since they were only showing cartoons. Crazy that a 60" LG MSRPs at $1000 and their 65" at $2800.

I assume every TV regardless of brand is wall mountable now, can't take risks with earthquakes in Cali.

My eyesight's starting to degrade from using a laptop so that's why I want to switch to a 'large' wall monitor.

Somewhere between 60" and 65". The 56" LG I saw today I thought the picture looked really good, couldn't tell completely since they were only showing cartoons. Crazy that a 60" LG MSRPs at $1000 and their 65" at $2800.

I assume every TV regardless of brand is wall mountable now, can't take risks with earthquakes in Cali.
The problem with computer monitors is that they don't run on the same resolution as tv shows. It's much much higher. So when you upscale it on a screen that large it's going to look worse.

Also, if you do want a high quality picture from the connection it's going to have to be a wired connection.

Why not get a big screen computer monitor like a 28"?

The whole point is to increase distance btwn my eyes and the monitor. With a 28" I'd still have to sit twice as close as 60".

I hadn't considered the resolution difference though. Maybe a wall projector would provide more computer quality? Probably be a lot more expensive I imagine.

I already have a portable wireless Apple keyboard, mouse, and tray that holds them together so wired is no problem from laptop to TV.

Rambo,

Just found out this 4k UltraHD has four times as many pixels as standard 1080p HDs so you're getting computer monitor quality !

That's why LG's 60" costs $1600 it's 4k UltraHD.

No reason not to merge TV and computer now.

Just have to find the best deal with a frame that doesn't look like a POS.

Yes, across the room.

Jesus, check out the OLED type of TVs. I read a review a guy returned an LG LCD 4k tv because it has lighting issues unlike his 'old' LG plasma, but said to hold off for OLEDs..

Here's the latest customer review on the LG's OLED:

The 2 stars have nothing to do with the picture quality of this TV. The OLED picture is by far completely FLAWLESS... it's the VERY BEST out there bar NONE! Don't let the naysayers try to convince you otherwise. There's NO clouding, no flash-lighting, no blooming, no off angle fade, no... no.... no NOTHING that plagues backlit LCD TV's. It has the best blacks of any TV ever made. Gaming and sports (with proper tuning) are simply fantastic (except for those few geeks that find that performance specs speak louder than what they see with their own eyes).

So why the TWO STARS? We have been through 5, yes FIVE of these TV models within the last three weeks. The box condition for each set was perfect, no dings, dents, scratches nor damaged, yet every TV was still defective. The problem can be seen on the panel's front surface while the TV is off. The design of the factory internal packaging is damaging the screen during transport and LG is aware of it, thus the two price-cuts for the TV within the last few months. Apparently the curved surrounding styrofoam along the face of the TV is not one flat continuous foam piece but a series of equally spaced vertical foam ribs, 6 inches apart. These "ribs" apparently place pressure onto the screen surface while the boxes are strapped onto a pallet during transport. If the temperature within the container from Mexico rises, the surface panel softens allowing the styrofoam ribs to place permanent "DINGS" or "DENTS" into the front surface of the TV's panel (screen). Look at the reflection on the screen with the set off from a 45 degree angle. The glossy surface has distorted dings and dents that line-up with these packaging ribs perfectly! Some TV sets were so damaged that the managers wouldn't sell them. (see pix) It's as if you had a series of bad door dings on your brand-new black painted car. According to LG, they are NOT SURE if these pressure dents (that do not spring pack like LCD or Plasma TV's) will affect the picture of the Organic Cells somewhere down the road. They were going to send their Top Regional Rep to look at all these defective OLED TV's but then they backed down for some reason... next thing I know, they went on sale AGAIN! Translation = They're DUMPING them on the market at their lowest possible price, but no one knows the long-term effects it will have on the screen. (Sorry these are not the best quality pix taken on my phone. You can see the dings and the foam ribs)

71FuKQ5-xBL._SL256_.jpg

What did I tell you about LG?

The reviews for Sony, Samsung, and Vizio all say the same thing, horrible support. And Samsung isn't even compatible with Apple.

And OLEDs right now are no good for computing because the whites show closer to greys. LCD still for all in one monitor solution.

The reviews for Sony, Samsung, and Vizio all say the same thing, horrible support. And Samsung isn't even compatible with Apple.

And OLEDs right now are no good for computing because the whites show closer to greys. LCD still for all in one monitor solution.
Get a 28" monitor. Bigger viewing area.

Pretty sure a 60" has bigger viewing area than a 28".
Yes, thank you for that Dr.. But a computer monitor will better be able to display the laptop, depending on the graphics card in your laptop. They also make 30" monitors. You can have it all on your desk then, and not bother with a TV that you're not going to watch TV on.

I am going to watch TV on it and I want it off the desk, further away from my eyes.

Amazon reviews show about a 10% chance of receiving a lemon or one turning into a lemon within two months. I guess those odds aren't too terrible.

I am going to watch TV on it and I want it off the desk, further away from my eyes.

Amazon reviews show about a 10% chance of receiving a lemon or one turning into a lemon within two months. I guess those odds aren't too terrible.
Seems like you've already made up your mind. What do you need our help for again?

Seems like you've already made up your mind. What do you need our help for again?

Waiting for someone to tell me to not risk infamous UPS TV throws and go to Sears and pay a premium for good handling.

Waiting for someone to tell me to not risk infamous UPS TV throws and go to Sears and pay a premium for good handling.
well why didn't you just say so? pay for premium. you're neurotic enough that if there's anything wrong with it you'll CONSTANTLY be second guessing the delivery.

leland - have you asked your Attic Rats what they would prefer?

leland - have you asked your Attic Rats what they would prefer?

I went outside to look at the eclipse tonight and something jumped out of the bush right next to my roof, dunno what it was since I had the porch light off still.

It's showing my age that whenever I need to create a PowerPoint slide from scratch, I break out some paper and start sketching or doodling or drawing. I may look things up on a PC, but I mainly do the "copy" and "layout" if you will on paper. Then I move it to PowerPoint.

I'm too old to be one of those who stares at a tablet with an LCD screen and come up with something innovative that way - even with a stylus.

Has anyone tried this Oculus virtual reality? Or the Holo Lens from Microsoft? Or that one in the Samsung adverts where you use your mobile?

CES just finished and everyone is touting it as a life changing experience. I barely spend enough time on certain things in physical reality. Why would I need the troubles of maintaining a second life? Another set of responsibilities, money draining liabilities - good God, maybe another group of needy women.

Is there anyway to download windows 10 and use as a dual boot?

I am concerned it f I go over to Win 10 I wont be able to go back to my perfectly OK win 7 and at some point MS will want me to pay to continue using Win10 and require me to pay for upgrades to existing programs like MS Office etc to be able to use them. I'm also concerned about backwards compatibility of win10.

Basically I just cant bring myself to trust MS.

Last edited:
Not out of the box - maybe if you use some other tool or virtualize your old PC. It doesn't dual boot with the F8 menu. Your old Windows is moved to a Windows.old folder so you can go backwards though.

I reckon the next Windows is free too. They're more interested protecting their operating system turf as a means to get you to buy subscriptions to Office and other Microsoft services.

Thanks thruth - I suppose I coulda done a search but I was hoping someone might have done it

I hadn't realised there was an option of an ISO d/l.

I'll have a look to see if its possible to burnt a live DVD to use

I've just created a Xubuntu boot/live drive OS on an old USB stick - works wonderfully and easy to set up.

I'm doing a revamp /upgrade of network storage etc before I try Win 10. Rationalising internal hard drives on PC, maybe new laptop and sorting storage and backup. Just found out I can get a new Seagate 5TB Expansion Desktop Hard Drive for $220.

I don't have any
substantial cloud storage - any cheap or free ones out there? I just up to the cloud a bit of high priority stuff - it would be good to get about 2TB and auto back up everything each night - any suggestions?

mmh I resisted Google Drive as it will scrape all my files for info on me and contacts.

I know about most of the above _ i was seeking friendly knowledgeable consumer feedback from nice tackies here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom