The All-Inclusive Shoe & Boot Thread

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
Here is the Florsheim Imperial plastic heel base. They started using plastic heels on many Florsheims from the 50's. Finally l have a picture.

image_2021-10-25_191617.png

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
Big Johnny Lobb is only for the biggest of daddies these days. Prices are wayyy out of hand now.

1,700 GBP for velvet slippers?
almost 18,000 GBP for alligator shoes??

wow, must be some real big daddies out there to be having their shoos made by Lobb these days.

John Lobb price list.jpg

Sammy Ambrose

Big Johnny Lobb is only for the biggest of daddies these days. Prices are wayyy out of hand now.

wow, must be some real big daddies out there to be having their shoos made by Lobb these days.

View attachment 41880
There is one born every minute Shooey. £1, 141 for a polished shoe tree.

Are these endangered crocs, I wonder?

We should call on the ghost of Steve Irwin to deal with Big Johnny.

An African mate of mine is a Juju big daddy. I think I might give him a call.

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
There is one born every minute Shooey. £1, 141 for a polished shoe tree.

Are these endangered crocs, I wonder?

We should call on the ghost of Steve Irwin to deal with Big Johnny.

An African mate of mine is a Juju big daddy. I think I might give him a call.

Must be some good profit on a 17,700 GBP alligator shoe, same goes with Lattanzi with his 18,000 euro alligator shoes. Someone is making the money to fund their lifestyle. The few who become huge names are able to do that. Mr Lattanzi also likes to live well, and he charges the big bucks because he knows he can. Big Johnny Lobb is the same....plenty of lads out there who were born into BIG Daddy circles.

Rambo

Supporter of Possible Sexual Deviants
Supporter

View attachment 41880
They’re out of their fucking minds!

Sammy Ambrose

If you could, Rambo. But I've got no idea where. Maybe just let it decay naturally. Shoes are mentioned as in: Weejuns blah, Brogues blah, Weejuns blah, Brogues and Weejuns blah, blah. So perhaps just let it die a natural death.

Pimpernel Smith

If you could, Rambo. But I've got no idea where. Maybe just let it decay naturally. Shoes are mentioned as in: Weejuns blah, Brogues blah, Weejuns blah, Brogues and Weejuns blah, blah. So perhaps just let it die a natural death.
It's alright as a stand alone Ivy piece.

The rubber sole season has well and truly arrived here.

Sartodi Napoli

Can anyone tell me why this ugly chinese made unshoes do sell for 1300 euros?

The stitching is very irregular, made by not 1 class sewers, I have noticed that.

The leather or plastic in the point has creases as well, in Naples this would have been a discharted
unit by bad quality unless made in some chinesse copy factory.

Limited series or something?

People do pay 1300 euros on this 2 euros chinese bazar designs?

I really though were 13.00 euros, 13!!! not 1300!!!

The design is so horrible that if any kid would have worn these in my child school in the 80´s, would have been
bullyied by the rest.

1636051124972.png

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
Yep, there is a lot of this silly rot going around in recent years. Lots of dumb sneaker-heads around these days, so sellers know they can suck them in. I have always scoffed at sneaker heads, I think those guys are so daft. They completely missed the boat on footwear and got something so inferior: poor guys, they got duped so badly that it is pitiful. They have the word SUCKER written on their foreheads.

If my son was a sneaker head i'd be so disappointed in him.

Sartodi Napoli

Yep, there is a lot of this silly rot going around in recent years. Lots of dumb sneaker-heads around these days, so sellers know they can suck them in. I have always scoffed at sneaker heads, I think those guys are so daft. They completely missed the boat on footwear and got something so inferior: poor guys, they got duped so badly that it is pitiful. They have the word SUCKER written on their foreheads.

But those Nike victims do believe people would admire them or even disguise they dropped 1300 for a 10 euros shoes?

They lack of class to buy real shoes as Lattanzi and so but expend the same on a 1000% overpriced awful crap.

Awesome, society has been alienated too much for me this days...

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
But those Nike victims do believe people would admire them

Yes, they are such tragic figures. I can't think of anything sadder than grown adults acting like mindless children over such mundane things.

Actually, I think that is what it really is....tragic man babies with little grey matter between the ears trying to find something to amuse their small minds. It must be horrible to live in that type of bubble, ie, a bubble where all the man babies live. Urk.

Thruth

Created the finest posts in internet forum history
Supporter

The counter-argument to yours is that it is not daft and not unlike iGents seeking their grail [insert grail piece to kop here]. it is not about quality. it is about rarity and exclusivity. Supply and demand. Selling and buying above retail. Not unlike what has happened with the new Rolex sub except it is Yeezys and Dunks. Any streetwear for that matter. Supreme NYC clothing sells out immediately on release and it is then flogged on the resale market for more than sticker price. Canada Goose parkas and a host of other brands and products that many view as products for the bad tasters and tackys, AZNs and Eurotrash.

New Big Johnny Lobb St. Crepins from years past, new, and not selling for more than retail at resale. All kinds of Lattanzi new shoos out there on the resale interwebz for far less than retail. Just saying'.

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
It is very interesting that well made famous igent brands sell for moderate prices, extremely well made igent brands sell for even less, while famous fashionista brands sell for a lot of money. Vass sell for cheap, and Lattanzi doesn't command super high prices online because it does not have name recognition either. Even though Lattanzi sells for a fraction of the price online, the price is still too high for the sellers to clear stock.

Edward Green and Johnny Lobb sell for a decent sum, but less than they used to. Actually shoe prices on the net have tanked in recent years. Berluti still sells for big bucks. Those man baby brands sell for $$$$$, while Hermes commands decent dollars.

What is interesting to observe is the jumper market online. I've been studying the market each days for years. Prices are pretty much the same, but Ballantyne has greatly increased prices in the last 18 months with roughly a 400 - 500% jump. I think it is due to the thread at dressedwell.net. You see, it is an unknown brand to most people, yet it now commands prices almost as high as hermes (a globally famous brand).

Sammy Ambrose

It is very interesting that well made famous igent brands sell for moderate prices, extremely well made igent brands sell for even less, while famous fashionista brands sell for a lot of money. Vass sell for cheap, and Lattanzi doesn't command super high prices online because it does not have name recognition either. Even though Lattanzi sells for a fraction of the price online, the price is still too high for the sellers to clear stock.

Edward Green and Johnny Lobb sell for a decent sum, but less than they used to. Actually shoe prices on the net have tanked in recent years. Berluti still sells for big bucks. Those man baby brands sell for $$$$$, while Hermes commands decent dollars.

What is interesting to observe is the jumper market online. I've been studying the market each days for years. Prices are pretty much the same, but Ballantyne has greatly increased prices in the last 18 months with roughly a 400 - 500% jump. I think it is due to the thread at dressedwell.net. You see, it is an unknown brand to most people, yet it now commands prices almost as high as hermes (a globally famous brand).
It's just supply and demand, Shooey.

Pimpernel Smith

Edward Green I can get for 600-700 here now.

The Shooman

A Pretty Face

Yep. Saw some dream Johnny Lobb too, not selling for that much. Thought hard about snaggin' them, but how many pairs does a man really need. It is important to be disciplined. I did snag a third pair of Lattanzi lately, but that will be the end of shoo buying for a good while now. Being in control is more noble trait than being addicted. While it is nice to have a small Lattanzi collection, it is good to be able to walk away from the hunt and enjoy what l have.

I do find the modern lasts and styling of Vass aren't as good as the originals. Budapest and 3636 lasts are winners. The Vass, P2 and F styling is not near in the same league as Lattanzi...sometimes a man wants a perfect work of art, and not a factory shoe or a hybrid style.

Lobbster

Yep. Saw some dream Johnny Lobb too, not selling for that much. Thought hard about snaggin' them, but how many pairs does a man really need. It is important to be disciplined. I did snag a third pair of Lattanzi lately, but that will be the end of shoo buying for a good while now. Being in control is more noble trait than being addicted. While it is nice to have a small Lattanzi collection, it is good to be able to walk away from the hunt and enjoy what l have.

I do find the modern lasts and styling of Vass aren't as good as the originals. Budapest and 3636 lasts are winners. The Vass, P2 and F styling is not near in the same league as Lattanzi...sometimes a man wants a perfect work of art, and not a factory shoe or a hybrid style.

Where? Standard prices for EG start from ~1200€ for entry models these days, Dovers are closer to 1500€. John Lobb are even a little above that. C&Js have been available on sale quite often recently though.

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
Those shoos are to show off Corthay's immense talent. He is a great shoe laster (the best l have ever seen from photos); he gives great sharp definition to shoes unlike any other IMO, hence this design to show off his strengths. He also does highly skilled patina work and is a master shoemaker.

Actually, l was privately told that one of Frances most esteemed and respected shoemakers said Corthay was the best of them all. The evenness of the antiquing and the sharpness of the lasting is something not really seen at this level.

The same goes with Lattanzi...you either get what he is doing or you don't. Both makers showcase their skills. Of course no-one in their right mind would buy that shoe above, but Corthay is making a statement with that shoo: he says "try beating that, l am the best there is, and no-one can do what l do". He puts out numerous statement pieces like that, and the fact that he also made shoe trees like that is mind blowing. You need to understand the Corthay language to understand what he is saying, but few men do speak that language.

Rambo

Supporter of Possible Sexual Deviants
Supporter
Those shoos are to show off Corthay's immense talent. He is a great shoe laster (the best l have ever seen from photos); he gives great sharp definition to shoes unlike any other IMO, hence this design to show off his strengths. He also does highly skilled patina work and is a master shoemaker.

Actually, l was privately told that one of Frances most esteemed and respected shoemakers said Corthay was the best of them all. The evenness of the antiquing and the sharpness of the lasting is something not really seen at this level.

The same goes with Lattanzi...you either get what he is doing or you don't. Both makers showcase their skills. Of course no-one in their right mind would buy that shoe above, but Corthay is making a statement with that shoo: he says "try beating that, l am the best there is, and no-one can do what l do". He puts out numerous statement pieces like that, and the fact that he also made shoe trees like that is mind blowing. You need to understand the Corthay language to understand what he is saying, but few men do speak that language.
no i meant literally what did he do to get the leather to look like that?

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
no i meant literally what did he do to get the leather to look like that?
That is the point!!! He achieved the impossible and molded the leather to that shape with a sharp definition. Just as amazing is that he hand carved a shoe tree to exactly match the last, and that would be almost impossible too. That last would not be machine duplicated, that would defeat the point of it all.

His shoo is so good that it would win the world championships of shoemaking hands down. Those other guys just do high spi on the soles, and some are daring enough to hand stitch the uppers. But Corthay's shoe difficulty would be on a whole different level.

Corthay may make some ugly looking shoes, bit WOW, he pushes shoemaking and art to limits never seen before. Lattanzi is at one end where he makes an old world shoe look so natural and perfect, while Corthay is at the other end pushing boundaries no man would dare ever push.

Kingstonian

Clothes must have been really shit back in the day if you jizz yourself at a short sleeve button down and pair of 501s.
Clothes would have been great. Decent cloths and plenty of inexpensive tailors. Great UK knitwear and shoes. Plenty of British made kit including shirts, coats etc.

He is just looking for something different and combining it with oneupmanship.

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
It is quire ironic how former shoemaker for Gaziano & Girling Daniel Wegan made shoes that look more G&G than does its founder Tony Gaziano. It is probably because Daniel Wegan made shoes for G&G for such a long that that we got used to the styling. Now the shoes look just like Cleverley again since Tony began making bespoke again, and no coincidence since Tony worked at Cleverley.

Cleverley style = slouchy long shank, small heel, cleverley toe, and elegant elongated upper. It is very unique.

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
Word to Journeyman Journeyman

W.I Shoeguy has ONLY been collecting shoos since 2018, and now he has 144 pairs and shows no signs of stopping any time soon. W.I Shoeguy seems like an o.k fella, but he is becoming like so many others on the forums, tragic figures who are chronically addicted. It's easy to become addicted and fall off the wagon, so l feel for him because he is out of control. If he really is a true shoo lover he will not regret the purchases however.

I say to these blokes, SNAP OUT OF IT AND CUT THE STUPID ROT!!!

Enrile

Esos shoos son para mostrar el inmenso talento de Corthay. Es un gran zapatero (el mejor que he visto en fotos); Da una gran definición a los zapatos a diferencia de cualquier otro IMO, de ahí este diseño para mostrar sus fortalezas. También realiza trabajos de pátina altamente calificados y es un maestro zapatero.

En realidad, me dijeron en privado que uno de los zapateros más estimados y respetados de Frances dijo que Corthay era el mejor de todos. La uniformidad de las antigüedades y la nitidez de las duraderas es algo que realmente no se ve a este nivel.

Lo mismo ocurre con Lattanzi ... o entiendes lo que está haciendo o no. Ambos creadores muestran sus habilidades. Por supuesto, nadie en su sano juicio compraría ese zapato de arriba, pero Corthay está haciendo una declaración con ese shoo: dice "intenta vencer eso, soy el mejor que hay, y nadie puede hacer lo que yo hago". Publica numerosas piezas de declaración como esa, y el hecho de que también hizo hormas de zapatos así es alucinante. Es necesario comprender el idioma Corthay para comprender lo que está diciendo, pero pocos hombres hablan ese idioma.

kneeshuh

While I agree that the Corthay shoes above may be ugly from a certain point of view, they are, in my opinion, a perfect example to show what a great lastmaker and shoemaker can do.

They are Pierre Corthay's way of flexing his shoemaking muscles, saying: "Look what I can do with leather, wood, thread and my hands".

On an entirely different note, in the WDYBT thread I was asked about the performance of the Dainite soles on my C & J Brecons.
Having worn them a few times in different conditions, I think I can say a few things about them.

1. The rubber (logically) doesn't really flex as a whole like leather does, only the creases made by walking do so, while everything else remains quite stiff

2. They are relatively hard rubber soles.
I don't have a problem with that, someone else might want more cushioning.

3. Dainite soles are hard to classify, they are always somewhere in between.

They are not robust enough for actual "shitkickers" and too heavy for smart shoes.

They provide good grip on dry and wet asphalt and cobblestone pavement as well as gravel and soil, but are slippery on ice and snow.

In my world, Dainite soles are good for casual city shoes and country shoes that do not see the actual country (don't wear them on long,wet grass, you might break something).

Top Bottom