The All-Inclusive Shoe & Boot Thread

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
alright, they turned it down quickly, why that?

iirc, they were handmade before northhampton took the lead with igents, not?

They are still handmade, except the heel block is now machine done. Vass turned into a designer due to that northamptom bloke, they knew the money was there and sold out to the modern styling. Combining Vass with modern styling doesn't really work, but at least they still make the classics.

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
according to vass dna, the balance is out of whack, imo. it's about the heel block, which seems to be adapted to style preferences. the picture doesn't give it away, if it's still handmade? things might have changed in their workshop and in their strategy, I dunno. nevertheless, a handmade heelblock is something you never forget, apparently in a romantic way, but still.

as said above by sirloin , it seems to be a catalogue style, which was presented in a plain colour and now it's museum and/or what it's called in their terminology.

Yeah, the heel block looks good on the traditional models like the alt wien on the 3636 and the Budapest last, but it looks odd on the P2, F last etc. Vass do the time tested classics the best, everything looks natural with nothing out of place.

When it comes to Vass' modern styling, it is a bug bear, but l accept it because l like the quality of vass, the comfort, and especially the ride. Very few shoes feel like Vass on the feet.

Sometimes l compromise and wear English gyw. I don't get the full handmade beauty and ride, but l get beautiful classic styles.
Sometimes l compromise and wear Vass modern styles. I don't get the classic beauty, but l get the ride and quality.
Sometimes l just wear the Vass classics. They are perfect, but iot is not a shoe l want to wear every day, sometimes l want something more exciting.
Sometimes l don't want any compromise, so l wear Lattanzi. Top ride, top quality, top styling, top everything.

Last edited:

klementine

They are still handmade, except the heel block is now machine done. Vass turned into a designer due to that northamptom bloke, they knew the money was there and sold out to the modern styling. Combining Vass with modern styling doesn't really work, but at least they still make the classics.
thanks for confirming, nothing to add.

klementine

Do you not think the cap aesthetically matches the relatively slim waist of this shoe?
relatively, we are talking about vass. the p2 was designed to match the english ambitions of their crowd. the people asked for slimmer ..., I dunno, if they did, I don't follow vass since years. if they did, they should call it p2/2 and communicate to their people.

changing the scale of a last is about the fit. this is your bread and butter. if this version works, it's good, if, it's a rework of the old version, you push the existing clients into mto. this is a plan, but, is it a good plan? does it work? we talk about usd 600 without mto charges going to usd 800, if this ok for their current customers, it will work. I have no clue about their business plan, anyway.

Panama

I have ordered these espadrilles online from Oliver Sweeney, they offer free returns if they turn out to be a poor fit. They are very similar to my Rivieras...

Campomar-Khaki_1_850x.progressive.jpg

Oliver Sweeney

IMG-20210526-WA0011.jpg

Rivieras

Panama

I like these Oliver Sweeney Sirolo's. But they are quite expensive. I have bought two pairs of Clarks Court Lites. I may consider the final pair below, hand made in Portugal for ETQ.

Sirolo-Bianco-1_850x.progressive.jpg

26163885_W_2.jpeg
ETQ_Model_034Angel5_2048x.jpg

ETQ Amsterdam Portugal version.

Last edited:

Panama

Well in the cold light of day, I am sticking with the Clarks and will head into London to try on the Repetto Zizi's next month...

Last edited:

Pimpernel Smith

Tone Deaf Daddy
Well in the cold light of day, I am sticking with the Clarks and will head into London to try on the Repetto Zizi's next month...
Think these look alright from Clarks (at least side on) for a knock around summer shoe:

The last desert boots I had from them were pretty uncomfortable on the soles of the feet after a few hours. They looked comfortable, but weren't.

Panama

Think these look alright from Clarks (at least side on) for a knock around summer shoe:

The last desert boots I had from them were pretty uncomfortable on the soles of the feet after a few hours. They looked comfortable, but weren't.
I will be wearing Wallabees next like my barber...

I will check out some casual "Bucks".

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
In The Mid-1950's, Italian Shoemakers Were Selling "Defense Shoes", Complete With Spurs On Toes And Heels To Kick Away Offensive Sex Pests, Especially In Rome

1659771235278.png

Thruth

Big Winter Daddy
Yeah, the heel block looks good on the traditional models like the alt wien on the 3636 and the Budapest last, but it looks odd on the P2, F last etc. Vass do the time tested classics the best, everything looks natural with nothing out of place.

When it comes to Vass' modern styling, it is a bug bear, but l accept it because l like the quality of vass, the comfort, and especially the ride. Very few shoes feel like Vass on the feet.

Sometimes l compromise and wear English gyw. I don't get the full handmade beauty and ride, but l get beautiful classic styles.
Sometimes l compromise and wear Vass modern styles. I don't get the classic beauty, but l get the ride and quality.
Sometimes l just wear the Vass classics. They are perfect, but iot is not a shoe l want to wear every day, sometimes l want something more exciting.
Sometimes l don't want any compromise, so l wear Lattanzi. Top ride, top quality, top styling, top everything.
Exactly. I was thinking to myself the other day as I was wearing a new pair of F lasts (ordered 4, all F) that they always feel so good out of the box. It is the ride indeed. I also bought a pair of EG Dover as EG has brought it out on the 32 last and the 32 last fits me better than the 82 does now unless I go up a width in the 82.
relatively, we are talking about vass. the p2 was designed to match the english ambitions of their crowd. the people asked for slimmer ..., I dunno, if they did, I don't follow vass since years. if they did, they should call it p2/2 and communicate to their people.

changing the scale of a last is about the fit. this is your bread and butter. if this version works, it's good, if, it's a rework of the old version, you push the existing clients into mto. this is a plan, but, is it a good plan? does it work? we talk about usd 600 without mto charges going to usd 800, if this ok for their current customers, it will work. I have no clue about their business plan, anyway.
Great relative value for a hand-lasted, hand-welted shoe.

Top Bottom