The All-Inclusive Shoe & Boot Thread

I had to check on this. Loake has half insole with writing on it. After that seems to be leather with a leather stamp visible. Trickers similar. Crockett and Jones handgrade the insole extends the length of the shoe.

It does not bother me and I never gave it much thought.

This is my Loake 1880 Suede Oxford Radleys with embossed leather.

20210502_054944.jpg

My Loake Shoemaker dark brown Oxford with some sort of suede. This feels really uncomfortable especially with ultra fine socks.

20210502_055142.jpg

You have never posted pictures of your shoos before, but so worth the wait. What a delight those are to my eyes. Wonderful footwear Mr Ambrose. Have always wanted a double brogue monkstrap.
Well, why not give that brand a try, Shooey? They deliver to Oz.

If I recall correctly, fxh has used the retailer.

Nope, i'll give them a pass. Not up to a connoisseurs standards. Open channel soles, likely built to mid end gyw standards etc, so it means l might wear them once a year at most. For me it is all about how a shoe feels on the foot; it needs to deliver `the experience', it needs to be `an event'. Nice looking shoe though, but looks is only a small part of the equation.

Nope, i'll give them a pass. Not up to a connoisseurs standards. Open channel soles, likely built to mid end gyw standards etc, so it means l might wear them once a year at most. For me it is all about how a shoe feels on the foot; it needs to deliver `the experience', it needs to be `an event'. Nice looking shoe though, but looks is only a small part of the equation.
Open channel has never been an issue with me, Shooey. I have all my shoes immediately Topeyed even close channelled ones.

I obviously agree with you about 'feel' being a main consideration and that is tied to fit. For me, this last fits perfectly and even after years of regular wear, including walking in them, they have kept their shape without buckling or creasing.

I recall many of your shoo pics you have posted and I think it likely that this last would suit you better than Mr. Dingo's dick suits his Mrs. And they are (for a connoisseur such as you) entry ievel and are priced accordingly. So go on, Shooey! Order a pair and , if no likee, send them back.

I can't comment on finer points such as their status on the GYW scale of build finery, as I'm just concerned with eating the pudding and not analysing how long the chef left it to rise, but I feel sure that Sargent know what they are doing.

So please reconsider Shooey. I know that in the past Herring have had reviews from Gentlemen's Gheyzette and others, but a real Big Daddy breakdown of one of their shoo offerings would be interesting in the extreme!

Finally, I know that the retailer keeps tabs on when they get a mention on the fora, so don't be surprised if the CEO contacts you requesting a review.

I obviously agree with you about 'feel' being a main consideration and that is tied to fit.

No, I am not talking about feel being tied to fit. I am talking about feel being tied to build/handwork,materials used inside. These are connoisseurs issues and beyond most forum folk, and these are issues beyond you at this stage in your shoo career, however if you rise to high levels you MAY be ready one day.

I recall many of your shoo pics you have posted and I think it likely that this last would suit you better

This is what small daddies or non daddies do, they make too many assumptions. That last looks tricky actually.

than Mr. Dingo's dick suits his Mrs.

what is with the foul language son? Cool it down, kids might be reading this.

And they are (for a connoisseur such as you) entry ievel and are priced accordingly. So go on, Shooey! Order a pair and , if no likee, send them back.

A BIG Daddy would never make such a statement. A small daddy or non daddy always gives himself away with what he says.

I can't comment on finer points such as their status on the GYW scale of build finery, as I'm just concerned with eating the pudding and not analysing how long the chef left it to rise, but I feel sure that Sargent know what they are doing.

That is not the point. They made a shoe for a certain level and price point, and didn't aim it to BIG Daddies.
So please reconsider Shooey. I know that in the past Herring have had reviews from Gentlemen's Gheyzette and others, but a real Big Daddy breakdown of one of their shoo offerings would be interesting in the extreme!
Gentlemen's Gazette are far from BIG shoo daddies, they are only little daddies at most.

Finally, I know that the retailer keeps tabs on when they get a mention on the fora, so don't be surprised if the CEO contacts you requesting a review.
They wouldn't want a review from me, i'd be too honest.

Frankly, it is a very decent and beautiful shoo, but it is not for BIG Daddies.

regards,
The Shooman

No, I am not talking about feel being tied to fit. I am talking about feel being tied to build/handwork,materials used inside. These are connoisseurs issues and beyond most forum folk, and these are issues beyond you at this stage in your shoo career, however if you rise to high levels you MAY be ready one day.

This is the problem with clothing and shoes (and with many other consumer items, too).

Up to a certain level, price plays a role - you pay more, you get better construction, better leather and so on. But ultimately, however much we may like to kid ourselves, once you get past a certain level you are paying for the name and the design.

You are not paying for fit or the actual feel of the shoes on your foot. It becomes psychological, rather than physical.

Now, I am not as much of a "shooman" as Shooey, but I have pairs from John Lobb Paris, Berluti, Edward Green, Vass, Santoni, Ferragamo's "Tramezza" line, and a couple of other upper-tier places. I also have shoes from C&J, Sargent, Cheaney, Carmina and (the horror!) even Loake and Meermin.

To be frank, one of the most comfortable, well-fitting pairs that I own is a pair of "Adelaide" (u-throat) brogues by Loake, on the Capital last. They fit my feet very well, they are very durable, they hold polish well and they look very nice. Perhaps I'm not a "BIG Daddy shooman" when I'm wearing my Loakes, as opposed to my Lobbs, but the Loakes actually feel more solid than the Lobbs and the Capital last fits my feet better than Lobb's 7000 last.

So please, let's not confuse price and advertising with what makes a good shoe. Once you get above a certain level, there's a very rapidly-diminishing rate of return.

My footwear for tomorrow. Herring Phillip II by Alfred Sargent.
Excellent! The fact that it’s a monk means it’s comfier and easier to wear thus giving the wearer the needed relaxation to possibly dress them down. That is one example of a manly shoo, not crappy clown shoos like Jewcomet and other deviants who meet in the dungeon of disease to fill their textbook.

This is what small daddies or non daddies do, they make too many assumptions. That last looks tricky actually.

what is with the foul language son? Cool it down, kids might be reading this.

A BIG Daddy would never make such a statement. A small daddy or non daddy always gives himself away with what he says.

That is not the point. They made a shoe for a certain level and price point, and didn't aim it to BIG Daddies.

Gentlemen's Gazette are far from BIG shoo daddies, they are only little daddies at most.

They wouldn't want a review from me, i'd be too honest.

Frankly, it is a very decent and beautiful shoo, but it is not for BIG Daddies.

regards,
The Shooman
Shooey: I have an idea. Seeing as you are using 'feel' in its Old English, figurative sense, rather than giving the word its literal modern English meaning, why not forget the idea of the Youtube channel, to improve on Kirby and Hugo etc, why not jump straight into metaphysics? You could maybe come up with a chant or two and being an Aussie you have a head start there.

Sorry about 'Dingo's dick'. I wanted something that I'd be sure you'd be able to relate to, and also something alliterative. It was either that or 'kangaroo's cock,' which was not alliteration when viewed.

But do consider the reviewing I have hinted at. Perhaps you could be the very first to do it telepathically and maybe, using astral projection, be able to involve those taking an eternal nap.

This is the problem with clothing and shoes (and with many other consumer items, too).

Up to a certain level, price plays a role - you pay more, you get better construction, better leather and so on. But ultimately, however much we may like to kid ourselves, once you get past a certain level you are paying for the name and the design.

You are not paying for fit or the actual feel of the shoes on your foot. It becomes psychological, rather than physical.

Now, I am not as much of a "shooman" as Shooey, but I have pairs from John Lobb Paris, Berluti, Edward Green, Vass, Santoni, Ferragamo's "Tramezza" line, and a couple of other upper-tier places. I also have shoes from C&J, Sargent, Cheaney, Carmina and (the horror!) even Loake and Meermin.

To be frank, one of the most comfortable, well-fitting pairs that I own is a pair of "Adelaide" (u-throat) brogues by Loake, on the Capital last. They fit my feet very well, they are very durable, they hold polish well and they look very nice. Perhaps I'm not a "BIG Daddy shooman" when I'm wearing my Loakes, as opposed to my Lobbs, but the Loakes actually feel more solid than the Lobbs and the Capital last fits my feet better than Lobb's 7000 last.

So please, let's not confuse price and advertising with what makes a good shoe. Once you get above a certain level, there's a very rapidly-diminishing rate of return.
Psychological sums it up nicely, and it's only for the few Big Daddies that the point of diminishing returns is never reached. Thank God we have them. Excelsior!

Excellent! The fact that it’s a monk means it’s comfier and easier to wear thus giving the wearer the needed relaxation to possibly dress them down. That is one example of a manly shoo, not crappy clown shoos like Jewcomet and other deviants who meet in the dungeon of disease to fill their textbook.
Yes. The borders of Clown Town are sadly very fluid. Their gutters are always gapingly open and of course, as you say, lead straight to the dungeons.

Update on heel stiffeners: on my Vass, they are very hard and do not allow the smallest indentation when pressed with a finger. On my Meermin Linea Maestro, they are supposed to be made of leather - and they are just as flexible as one would imagine leather to be. Thank you for nothing, Vass.

Do you know how long Vass have been using the salpa for? I was wondering the same thing because my more recent Vass are more hard and stiff at the back of the heel where-as my old ones are more flexible. Same goes with the fiberboard heels, easy to spot, the recent Vass have two different colours of leather on the heels where-as the older ones were all one uniform colour. It's a pity.
Nope I am not sure of when the change was done, perhaps in the last 2 years? I don't know but they seem to be struggling a bit, since covid hit they have been having sales pretty much non stop and the prices just keep getting lower.

Some awesome shoes from Yohei Fukuda. Absolutely impressive the finishing level, even tangible in the photos. You may perhaps find the style too refined, especially in some models, but these shoes are works of art.

Yohei-Fukuda-bespoke-oxfords-578x770.jpg

Simon-2-578x770.jpg
Simon-1-578x770.jpg

Yohei-Fukuda-jodhpur-boots-577x770.jpg
Yohei-Fukuda-chelsea-boots-577x770.jpg

Yohei-Fukuda-suede-chelsea-boot-577x770.jpg
Yohei-Fukuda-lazyman-shoes-577x770.jpg

As already said, I'm no fan of Chelsea and Lazyman, but you have to admire the precision of the work. That suede colour is gorgeous.

Some awesome shoes from Yohei Fukuda. Absolutely impressive the finishing level, even tangible in the photos. You may perhaps find the style too refined, especially in some models, but these shoes are works of art.

View attachment 37417
View attachment 37418View attachment 37419
View attachment 37420View attachment 37421
View attachment 37422View attachment 37423

As already said, I'm no fan of Chelsea and Lazyman, but you have to admire the precision of the work. That suede colour is gorgeous.
Very elegant and beatifully made.

Shooey: I have an idea. Seeing as you are using 'feel' in its Old English, figurative sense, rather than giving the word its literal modern English meaning, why not forget the idea of the Youtube channel, to improve on Kirby and Hugo etc, why not jump straight into metaphysics? You could maybe come up with a chant or two and being an Aussie you have a head start there.

Sorry about 'Dingo's dick'. I wanted something that I'd be sure you'd be able to relate to, and also something alliterative. It was either that or 'kangaroo's cock,' which was not alliteration when viewed.

But do consider the reviewing I have hinted at. Perhaps you could be the very first to do it telepathically and maybe, using astral projection, be able to involve those taking an eternal nap.
Psychological sums it up nicely, and it's only for the few Big Daddies that the point of diminishing returns is never reached. Thank God we have them. Excelsior!
Well at least you have a ‘shoo career’.

If I recall correctly, fxh has used the retailer.
I do have a few pair Herring Shoes and the last I have is the best fit. The Brogue Double Monks I have I think are Brooks Bros Peal and Co or something. I’ll check sometime.

You have to know that when Shooey and me have a “Big Day Out” I have to walk 3 paces behind him - he’s so embarrassed about my non daddy shoes.

I do have a few pair Herring Shoes and the last I have is the best fit. The Brogue Double Monks I have I think are Brooks Bros Peal and Co or something. I’ll check sometime.

You have to know that when Shooey and me have a “Big Day Out” I have to walk 3 paces behind him - he’s so embarrassed about my non daddy shoes.
But at least he let"s you go with him.
And some of the admiring glances and cor blimies he must attract will rub off on you.

I find myself putting these on even if just running over to the shop in jeans. Unfortunately, I can't seem to capture how nice the leather is.

20210320_172351.jpg
20210320_171935.jpg
20210503_155650.jpg

Silvano Lattanzi loafers.

Yes. I'm currently too fat for all of my trousers/jeans other than a couple of pairs, and I find that these shoes work well enough so they've been getting a lot of wear lately. They need a polish.

20210503_162538.jpg
20210503_162415.jpg

Last edited:
I wish I were a 7UK. Look unworn. $1100.

View attachment 37472
It's impossible to tell from this shot, isn't it? I have no issue with 'tried on' shoes, but unless they've been hand me downs from a relative, I've never considered second-hand shoes. Maybe this disinclination would fall within what Shooey defines as the 'experience'.

For sentimental reasons, I bought a pair of Hartt gunboats on eBay. Decent shape. At least from the pictures as I have not received them yet. Need some heel caps.
Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 9.09.27 PM.png

1620098951893.png

There once were three Canadian shoe companies that had Church's/Cheaney quality construction. All defunct for more than 30 years, with a couple resurrected as shadows of their former selves. Dack's, McHale and Hartt. When I was a kid, I did not know who Big Johhny Lobb was. But I knew those 3 and that they were the best shoes in the country. My old man was a saleman and we had a modest life. But he sprung to buy good shoes to pound the pavement. He had a pair of each. McHale brown longwings, Dack's burgundy pebble grain PTB and black Hartt wingtip bluchers.

They cost $55 USD shipped. A "why not?" purchase. It will be interesting to see what I think of them now that I a bit about shoes.

It's impossible to tell from this shot, isn't it? I have no issue with 'tried on' shoes, but unless they've been hand me downs from a relative, I've never considered second-hand shoes. Maybe this disinclination would fall within what Shooey defines as the 'experience'.
if I could read, I could find out. still, no sole wear in other pics.

For sentimental reasons, I bought a pair of Hartt gunboats on eBay. Decent shape. At least from the pictures as I have not received them yet. Need some heel caps.
View attachment 37473
View attachment 37474

There once were three Canadian shoe companies that had Church's/Cheaney quality construction. All defunct for more than 30 years, with a couple resurrected as shadows of their former selves. Dack's, McHale and Hartt. When I was a kid, I did not know who Big Johhny Lobb was. But I knew those 3 and that they were the best shoes in the country. My old man was a saleman and we had a modest life. But he sprung to buy good shoes to pound the pavement. He had a pair of each. McHale brown longwings, Dack's burgundy pebble grain PTB and black Hartt wingtip bluchers.

They cost $55 USD shipped. A "why not?" purchase. It will be interesting to see what I think of them now that I a bit about shoes.
I have a pair of Dack's made by Cheaney from the store on Yonge Street in Toronto. A sound pair of shoes. I got them Topied by Dave, the British West Indian. Also on Yonge Street, I think.

I also wouldn't consider to buy/wear pre-owned (worn) shoes.

Sorry about 'Dingo's dick'.

As a very "ocker" (ie true-blue Aussie) friend of mine used to say, "It's as dry as a dead dingo's donger out here".

Brilliant. I worked in the military overseas at one time. There was a little Aussie who was harmlessly abusive in the mess bar at times. He was known as wombat.

One of my colleagues uses "wombat" as a term of disdain for people that he regards as fools - "He's a bloody wombat".

As a very "ocker" (ie true-blue Aussie) friend of mine used to say, "It's as dry as a dead dingo's donger out here".

One of my colleagues uses "wombat" as a term of disdain for people that he regards as fools - "He's a bloody wombat".
Careful. Shooey may be listening. He'll mark you down on your next Big Daddy scholarship exam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom