The All-Inclusive Shoe & Boot Thread

Can't you find a way of stopping Shooey from watching this? By the time he's sorted out all the iGents there will be only Crusty left.

Can't you find a way of stopping Shooey from watching this? By the time he's sorted out all the iGents there will be only Crusty left.

I had to turn the video off after a short while, far too much foul language. When l hear the F word I always turn things off straight away. Even the S word will make me turn something off.

Last edited:
I had to turn the video off after a short while, far too much foul language. When l hear the F word I always turn things off straight away. Even the S word will make me turn something off.
Thank Goodness for that. If you'd decided to adopt any of those tricks to establish who was the Daddy, there would have been screams galore on Ask Andy About Aching A**hole* and Smashed F***ers.

Of course there are different opinions about that, all legitimate, but it's undisputed that a loafer is NOT a formal style, and a plain oxford is the most suitable match with a suit. Of course it depends much on the last and colour, whether or not you can "dare" a loafer with a suit: a plain, sleek black one being noticeably more appropriate than a typical cognac penny loafer, possibly in cordovan.
Nowadays we see all sorts of disgraces, like suits with sneakers, but whether it's stylish appropriate, is a different matter.

No. For many men it won't matter if they wear tassle loafers, but for Thruth Thruth it will matter . Thruth will always be an exception to the rule. He is too manly to pull off tassle loafers.

Yes, loafers with suits can look off because it is too casual, but sometimes men can make it work, but it is not something I would ever do either.

Lace-up black oxfords have been the most formal type of shoe during some time, but it has not been always like that and it's a pure convention that has no rationing behind.

If you go a bit back in time, the most formal option is not the plain black oxford but a lace-up boot:

Unusual-Balmoral-boot-by-Dimitri-Gomez-900x600.webp

But probably the button boot was even more formal at around that time or shortly before:

2012-03-05+16.59.02.jpg

And before that, the chelsea boot that nowadays is a pretty casual style was the norm with the frock coat. This one is from around 1870:
Chelsea5.jpg

And going even earlier, the most formal shoe was a buckle in a derby/blucher construction:

fb7ce23be785ffc985a7aa6e2ad65476.jpg

If you want to be attached to mid XX century conventions it's perfectly fine but this is a convention that I (and most people) don't care anymore about.

Lace-up black oxfords have been the most formal type of shoe during some time, but it has not been always like that and it's a pure convention that has no rationing behind.

If you go a bit back in time, the most formal option is not the plain black oxford but a lace-up boot:

Unusual-Balmoral-boot-by-Dimitri-Gomez-900x600.webp

But probably the button boot was even more formal at around that time or shortly before:

2012-03-05+16.59.02.jpg

And before that, the chelsea boot that nowadays is a pretty casual style was the norm with the frock coat. This one is from around 1870:
Chelsea5.jpg

And going even earlier, the most formal shoe was a buckle in a derby/blucher construction:

fb7ce23be785ffc985a7aa6e2ad65476.jpg

If you want to be attached to mid XX century conventions it's perfectly fine but this is a convention that I (and most people) don't care anymore about.
So, which of the 4 shoes you have shown would you wear with a suit?

Last edited:
Yes, loafers with suits can look off because it is too casual, but sometimes men can make it work, but it is not something I would ever do either.

Actually, far from being casual, these evening, or opera, pumps (a style of loafer) are one of the most formal styles of footwear and should only be worn with evening dress:

Black-Tie-Formal-Opera-Pumps-Court-Shoes.jpg

I loooove the EG Portland. So light, so soft, so sexy. Not with a suit but linen trousers and a casual shirt. Oh my god yes. So good. I'm getting frisky just thinking about them.

Alas too narrow for my fat plates. I was super sad when I tried a pair on.
tumblr_nxn7402tfR1qe3h9lo1_1280.jpg

I loooove the EG Portland. So light, so soft, so sexy. Not with a suit but linen trousers and a casual shirt. Oh my god yes. So good. I'm getting frisky just thinking about them.

Alas too narrow for my fat plates. I was super sad when I tried a pair on. View attachment 38357
Wouldn't it depend on the 'type' of suit. Certainly a mismatch for a business suit in most instances. But there are more casual combinations of matching jackets and trousers that some might wear. (I'm playing devil's advocate here to see if the more creative and artistic posters can come up with something.)

Blue seersucker, or something in linen. Any suit super light really I guess. I was thinking a suit along work lines. But for sure the sort of suit you can wear a camp collar shirt with. Not that I like camp collars really but you get my drift...

Gaziano&Girling Astaire in Vintage Cedar and Tobacco Suede, GG06 last.

20210526_162907.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Winson, who have a good rep making shoos, have a new spin-off called Midas who are doing classic MTO boots now:

And they stock Carlo Badalassi’s beautiful steer and horsehides.

Forget tassle loafers and thin soled loafers (only certain guys can pull them off....you are far too manly to wear those). Choose a proper manly loafer that isn't too fancy. Follow yoiur instincts and you'll nail it.
HarrisonPenny_4320_DarkBrown_Profile_web.jpg

Allen Edmonds has this chunky waterproof one out now. Jarring look, but manly enough?

'Other than the absence of these shoes fitting you, they are the same as bespoke and only cost $4,000. '

OMG. There really are mugs born every minute.

Let's caputure that oozing and pay for it. Making sure Kirby gets his bit so he fan buy a new neck brace.
Do you think someone doing that as a “profession” has much personal dignity? On the other hand: if people are unable to learn how to inform themselves while a lot of info is free, then there’s not much to bemoan, I think.

Do you think someone doing that as a “profession” has much personal dignity? On the other hand: if people are unable to learn how to inform themselves while a lot of info is free, then there’s not much to bemoan, I think.
Kirby's info is free of course. It's all bait for whatever overpriced products he's selling or shilling.

Obviously there's no harm in enterprise ,but when Kirby gets taken seriously the mental soundness of those who do so inavoidably needs to be questioned.

And at the end of the day, and perhaps more appositely, Kirby's smirk is very irritating.

Despite being a decent presenter, Kirby always seems stressed and a little unwell delivering his ads. Wonder what causes this state.

Definitely not traditional jodhpurs, but they are growing on me the more I see them:

Definitely not traditional jodhpurs, but they are growing on me the more I see them:

Definitely not growing on me, especially the dented toes.

They remind me of the boots that 1910s cosplayer who used to be a member here would wear - was it LelandJ? He loved expensive boots that cost $1000 but looked as though they'd been worn by a coalminer or a peasant farmer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom