The All-Inclusive Shoe & Boot Thread

View attachment 38752

The man who made them:
View attachment 38749

The two men on the right (looking at photo) are responsible for the alligator perfection. Top TOP experts, the two of them. Both have left Cleverley now, thank goodness. I wonder what my shoemaker is doing now, he seems to have vanished. Would have thought he might have started his own brand, but then again, bespoke making doesn't make much money....certainly not glamorous. View attachment 38750
Not a shoe I would wear. But clearly perfection. How often have they been worn? To what extent does alligator crease/stretch/distort etc?

Not a shoe I would wear. But clearly perfection. How often have they been worn? To what extent does alligator crease/stretch/distort etc?

I have worn them a fair bit. Alligator creases much less than calf. My alligator shoe looks exactly the same as it did years ago, it looks brand new. No wrinkles or creases at all. Alligator doesn't really stretch either.

Thanks florisgreen florisgreen that is a compliment coming from you. I probably should have ordered it in medium brown, but l am a real sucker for navy blue shoes.

A family shot of some of my colourful shoos.

I like colourful shoes in the warmer months. The one on the right at the front is a rare aussie bespoke, he was one of the finest aussie shoemakers and l was his only client for handmade bespoke. He stitched over 3,000 pairs in Italy and came to Oz in 1957, but he made machine shoes for everyone else except for me.

The purple shoe is perhaps the finest rtw derby ever made, but BIG Johnny Lobb of course. What a beauty!
View attachment 38753
Thanks to you! It makes me proud to have your esteem.

I very much like the amber colour one on the bottom rights.

I have worn them a fair bit. Alligator creases much less than calf. My alligator shoe looks exactly the same as it did years ago, it looks brand new. No wrinkles or creases at all. Alligator doesn't really stretch either.
Interesting.

Without a doubt a shoe that keeps its shape has a lot going for it.

I've noticed, too, that women rate the practial expression of that quality highly when they give an opinion on men's shoes.

I am not an expert in Crockett and jones but the brogues seem to be made on the 337 last from Crocket Jones that is a the same last than the the Audley model from the handgrade range

Audley29447A-C01L32_1200x1200.jpg
w960.jpg

The loafers I don't know but I dont like elongated lasts on a loafer.

Thanks florisgreen florisgreen that is a compliment coming from you. I probably should have ordered it in medium brown, but l am a real sucker for navy blue shoes.

A family shot of some of my colourful shoos.

I like colourful shoes in the warmer months. The one on the right at the front is a rare aussie bespoke, he was one of the finest aussie shoemakers and l was his only client for handmade bespoke. He stitched over 3,000 pairs in Italy and came to Oz in 1957, but he made machine shoes for everyone else except for me.

The purple shoe is perhaps the finest rtw derby ever made, but BIG Johnny Lobb of course. What a beauty!
View attachment 38753
Shooey if you ever decide to become a pimp you’ll have half the wardrobe essentials covered.

I just bought a pair of Loake Shoemaker's Seaham...

Image318_f4a9bfef-a86c-4cf8-b8c0-537e6a8f24cd.jpg

I have a rotation of around 30 shoes, so should get 240 wears before I die.

Very nice combinations of colours.

I really enjoyed that colour combination today, it hit the right spot and got the day off on a good note. In person those colours look richer, especially those socks.

The shoes are all hand welted with hand stitched soles, so the flexibility of that double sole is a unique experience that only connoisseurs of handmade shoes get to really appreciate and understand. The shoe is solid yet soft. It is an experience a goodyear welted shoe can't even approach, the feeling is completely different. Comparing the feel of a fully handmade shoe to a factory shoe is like comparing apples to oranges. I went for a walk today in those shoes and the feeling was just WOW. The shoe has molded to my foot over the years, but the handwork really impacts the shoe and brings out the magic. Nothing compares to a proper handmade shoe, it delivers a proper footwear experience.

I read so much on the forums about Johnny Lobb comparing or being better than Vass etc. No no no, the comparison is not even close. Vass blow BIG Johnny Lobb rtw right out of the water in so many ways, but mainly because of the way it is built and stitched. It provides the true footwear experience with no compromises.

I hope he's got more than eight, otherwise what a complete amateur...:cool:
Four pairs of uber expensive and hard to get boots from the Japanese master. As much as I admire them, I can’t ever imagine dropping $2k+ on one pair.

So if most loafers are too ghey for me outside of penny loafers, I cam across the C&J Demi-boots that seemed to be more butch than loafers but still ghey enough for me to be hated by at least 50% of knowledgeable shoes wearers.

1623732527627.png

1623732736015.png

So if most loafers are too ghey for me outside of penny loafers, I cam across the C&J Demi-boots that seemed to be more butch than loafers but still ghey enough for me to be hated by at least 50% of knowledgeable shoes wearers.

View attachment 38898
View attachment 38899

Best loafer design of the lot. Have always loved that design. It's very high class too imo, for important people only. I think you should do it Thruth, you are at that level.

Apparently you can rent footwear by the day. Not just ski boots and bowling shoes either.

The British PMs wife did just that for the G7 meeting.

Handy for Instagram photos. Get the whole outfit and a flash car and park up outside a posh house.

A bit two bob though if you get found out or, worse still, admit it.

She could have saved a bit on redecorating 10 Downing Street and bought a decent pair of shoes for herself or hobnobbed with fashion people and cadged free samples.

What happened to the term ‘teh gheys’ ? The definite article change in particular seems to have disappeared. No longer fashionable?

It is difficult to keep up for oldies. ‘Tissue’, ‘un’ this and that etc.

Would you wear rented shoes like Carrie Johnson?​

The Prime Minister’s wife has divided opinion with her sustainable style strategy

ByTamara Abraham, FASHION EDITOR14 June 2021 • 5:20pm

Carrie Johnson Prada

Carrie Johnson at the G7 Summit in a rented pair of yellow Prada shoes CREDIT: Jack Hill - WPA Pool / Getty Images
Buying shoes can be a bit of a lottery - especially when it comes to a brand you’ve never worn before. There’s no way of knowing whether you’ll get a blister 10 minutes into their first outing, or if your soles will be throbbing before you’ve even finished your first drink on a night out.
A misstep (sorry) can be an expensive mistake, so renting a pair of designer heels or hype trainers seems like a savvy solution for those who want to road-test a style before shelling out the big bucks, or to tap into a passing trend without it costing them a small fortune.
It is also a good solution should one be required to host world leaders and their spouses at a G7 summit. Ok, so it’s not everybody’s reality, but Carrie Johnson made a strong case for the service at Carbis Bay in Cornwall this weekend, where she was rubbing shoulders with Jill Biden and Brigitte Macron.
carrie johnson jimmy choo

Mrs Johnson at the G7 Summit in a pair of rented Jimmy Choos CREDIT: Shutterstock
There were the yellow Prada kitten heels that she wore for dinner at the Eden Project (RRP £645, available to rent at My Wardrobe HQ from £13 a day), and the black Jimmy Choo pointed-toe pumps that she wore the following day (RRP £500, available to rent at My Wardrobe HQ from £11 a day). It was a move that allowed her to hold her own alongside a group of famously elegant dressers who have had more time and experience to prepare for this kind of occasion.
Many remain a little squeamish about the idea though. While most of the women I know are happy to rent a dress or a handbag, footwear hire is a line they’re not prepared to cross. “I don’t love the thought of it,” one fashion-loving friend told me. “Someone else’s sweaty feet - yuck.”
There were similar comments beneath articles and Instagram pictures about Mrs Johnson’s G7 outfits. “I love how she rented all of her clothes, very clever, they are expensive - but I wouldn’t rent a shoe,” said one. “I love the idea of renting dresses, clutches, bags, or even jewellery, but not shoes,” read another.

I can identify to an extent. Though I’ve purchased vintage shoes in the past, and borrowed pairs from my mother or sister, I always feel a little grossed-out when I see staff at a bowling alley or skating rink do a cursory spritz of some unidentifiable product into used rental shoes or boots before putting them back on the shelf. Is it any different renting a pair of Chanel slingbacks?
Victoria Prew, CEO of HURR Collective where Gucci sandals and Paris Texas boots are the most popular styles to rent, insists it is. Shoes rented on her platform are sent to sustainable cleaning company Oxwash, along with other rented fashion items. “Their medical-grade technology is typically used in spaceship and hospital sterilisation, without the nasty chemicals of other industry players. If it’s good enough for NASA, it’s good enough for us,” it reads on the HURR Collective website.
There’s also the risk of damaging them though. I’ve trashed pristine shoes by walking across soft grass at a wedding, or dancing until the early hours. I’d be nervous about doing the same to a rented pair, then being stung by the cost of replacing them.

Prew is prepared for that too: “We've partnered with the ‘Deliveroo for Alterations’ app Sojo to provide on-demand repairs to shoes,” she says
I can see why fashion rental platforms are invested in shoe rental. It’s a gamble, but the market has the potential to be huge - shoes are an easy way to make a bold style statement, plus there are fewer issues with fit than with clothing - as long as they can convince their customers that there’s nothing gross about walking, literally, in someone else’s shoes.
Of course, you’ll still run the risk of getting a blister (a couple of decent plasters should be stowed in every shoe-lover’s handbag) but at least you can return them, a far preferable outcome to letting them gather dust at the back of the wardrobe.

The best shoes to rent now​

rent shoes my wardrobe hq hurr collective chanel hermes christian dior fabrizio viti

Loeffler Randall twisted metallic cracked mule, from £8 a day, My Wardrobe HQ; Fabrizio Viti Daisy heeled sandals, from £6 a day, My Wardrobe HQ; Christian Dior J’Adior slingbacks, to rent from £109, HURR Collective; Chanel flower ballerina flats, from £14 a day, My Wardrobe HQ; Hermès Oran sandals, to rent from £55, HURR Collective
For more news, analysis and advice from The Telegraph's fashion desk, click here to sign up to get our weekly newsletter, straight to your inbox every Friday. Follow our Instagram @Telegraphfashion

Apparently you can rent footwear by the day. Not just ski boots and bowling shoes either.

The British PMs wife did just that for the G7 meeting.

Handy for Instagram photos. Get the whole outfit and a flash car and park up outside a posh house.

A bit two bob though if you get found out or, worse still, admit it.

She could have saved a bit on redecorating 10 Downing Street and bought a decent pair of shoes for herself or hobnobbed with fashion people and cadged free samples.
What about athletes foot and verrucas?

Would you wear rented shoes like Carrie Johnson?​

The Prime Minister’s wife has divided opinion with her sustainable style strategy
I find it embarrassing that a first lady rents her shoes, are her own so terrible?
I have to say however that she looks certainly better than her husband, to me one of the worst dressed and styled politicians worldwide.

Excellent buy. Here Edward Green's will be €950ish with a discount. You won't get them any cheaper.

You are very lucky. In oz Edward Green never goes on sale. Things are expensive, but not near as expensive as things used to be. Shoe and clothing prices used to have insane markups, including Oxxford suits that sold for $9,000 almost 20 years ago.

You are very lucky. In oz Edward Green never goes on sale. Things are expensive, but not near as expensive as things used to be. Shoe and clothing prices used to have insane markups, including Oxxford suits that sold for $9,000 almost 20 years ago.
There's no official sales, that's the discount if you ask. Official price here €1150-1450.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom