The All-Inclusive Shoe & Boot Thread

I'm talking Dainite. Dainite in 10cm or more of snow and the slush. Leather soles are no good when the ground is like that. Total car crash when its slush and pretty grim when its snow. And it can be snow for upto 4 months here in Norway. Then it melts, freezes overnight, melts and so on for 3-4 weeks. I know their hard but I'll take that over slopping wet anyday.
I'm talking Dainite too, British made.

I thank you for your approbation, Shooey. But is there only ONE 'taste'? Mrs Ambrose sometimes criticises my style of dress as being too 'classic' , and I think we need to be cautious of stunting creativity.

One of the strengths of the Dressed Well forum is that it hasn't split into a 'trad' forum and one veering away from the classic. As a result, we all get the chance to view and appraise styles which we may not have ordinarily considered or even been aware of.

But to return to those dainty bloo shoos: It would be good to see them being worn as part of a 'rig' and then be able to comment on them in a deeper sartorial context.
Short or long ladies dress?

Ms. Sammy says you’re “too classic”

You will notice we have refrained from telling you what she really means.

I prefer Vibram 700/705 over Danite for traction without looking too rugged. It’s all just rubber, but Vibram seems a little less stiff and offers better traction. RMW’s sole (Comfort models and Gardener/Lachlan) is too soft and slippery.

I think this is what I was getting at. Setting aside Danite's usefulness in snow and slush, it's surprising there is not a wider range of more forgiving alternatives like Vibram for shoes like chukkas etc.

I'm talking Dainite. Dainite in 10cm or more of snow and the slush. Leather soles are no good when the ground is like that. Total car crash when its slush and pretty grim when its snow. And it can be snow for upto 4 months here in Norway. Then it melts, freezes overnight, melts and so on for 3-4 weeks. I know their hard but I'll take that over slopping wet anyday.

Coming from somewhere where there is no snow, this seems very intense! Do you have to treat the leather in any way to cope?

I've got my black Alden crepe soles on today, the leather isn't great quality, it's got that almost grey shine to it:

IMG_2614.jpg

Two nice pairs of Edward Green.

Not a fan of cordovan, but these look so nice:
Screenshot (462).png

This Dover in Sienna Hatch Grain and Snuff Suede on the 82 last is stunning:
Screenshot (461).png

Coming from somewhere where there is no snow, this seems very intense! Do you have to treat the leather in any way to cope?
When its slush you can't wear good shoes. Just have to get the beaters on and put up with it. I don't treat the leather but if its not snowed for a few days and not got upto zero the snow gets a sand like texture and thats not so bad for the uppers.

Last edited:
Two nice pairs of Edward Green.

Not a fan of cordovan, but these look so nice:
View attachment 40300

This Dover in Sienna Hatch Grain and Snuff Suede on the 82 last is stunning:
View attachment 40301
Surprised that cordovan can be used in such a tightly constructed shoe. It usually features in gunboats/clodhoppers.

Dover in Dark Oak is their signature shoe. Not keen on this two tone model. EG is simply too expensive now. I have a nice sensibly-priced split toe from Trickers.

I see Vass has ended their sale pricing and prices are back up by 100 Euro euro. Good thing I ordered weeks ago.

Hey Dropbear Dropbear , what do you think of the OK Oil that you got with your Daytons? I've always used Huberds Shoe Grease but I could not find the tin today and used the OK Oil for the first time and I really like it. It smells nice too.

Hey Dropbear Dropbear , what do you think of the OK Oil that you got with your Daytons? I've always used Huberds Shoe Grease but I could not find the tin today and used the OK Oil for the first time and I really like it. It smells nice too.
I don’t remember getting any with my boots. I’ve always used Obernauf’s, if I’m not worried about darkening the leather.

¿Qué se entiende por zapato "sin forro"? ¿Cuáles son los beneficios de un zapato de vestir sin forro como un oxford? ¿Algún inconveniente? Estoy viendo un Oxford sin forro Carmina a la venta en este momento. https://www.carminashoemaker.com/unlined-oxfords-funchal-black-80727

Loake have opened a shoe store in my city. It's very disappointing, there is far more stock online. I overheard the SA/Manager tell a potential customer that Loake's top sellers are the trainers and sneakers...

I have held out getting a pair of leather sneakers. I keep adding a pair of Crown sneakers to my wish list but I keep see identical copies at half the price..

Picked these up on eBay since I didn’t have any casual black boots and a black leather jacket on order- as new for $60 shipped. Made in the US, GYW, Vibram 700 sole and an EEEE width.

99C6466D-408C-4676-B9F8-23ED8ADE9172.jpeg

Last edited:
They’re called Mason. Apparently they were one of the original work boot companies. Along with the Snap-On Tool guys, they would sell boots out of a van at factories and worksites. Still in existence, but production moved to China a few years ago.

They’re called Mason. Apparently they were one of the original work boot companies. Along with the Snap-On Tool guys, they would sell boots out of a van at factories and worksites. Still in existence, but production moved to China a few years ago.
Interesting. Let me know how they shake out when you get them.

Interesting. Let me know how they shake out when you get them.

Today was my first day wearing them. EEEE width feels closer to EE, but the instep is fairly high, so I think they will be ok. The leather is a bit dry and cardboardy, so I put some Obernauf on them. I wish the midsole was thicker and they had a more substantial arch ease. They are definitely not on the level of Wesco/Dayton/Whites/Nicks/Vibergs but I’d say they are pretty close to Red Wing quality. Nothing lux about them, but reasonably sturdy.

It’s an interesting cross between a western and an engineer boot that I rather like.

Last edited:
Jack Reacher’s shoe :-

One way to go. A single pair of decent shoes (by most people’s standards) and the clothes you stand up in. Wear for a few days, then bin them and buy new stuff from a ‘mom and pop’ store. Need a good suit? Just beat up a villain who wears the same size and take his. Sorted.

The blueprint for Shooman before he sees the light and goes walkabout ?

Never been a fan of patinas, but when they are subtle and properly accomplished like these by Gaziano and Girling, they can be quite attractive.

Conker patina, Savile on MH71 last:
Screenshot (517).png

Canyon patina, Savile on DG70 last:
Screenshot (516).png

Average number of shoes owned in the U.K.

Eighty or ninety quid a pair too! Should have gone to ShoeZone.
I feel so superior when going to Deichmann. They have massive signs saying genuine leather. I didn't realise artificial leather shoes existed.

Jack Reacher’s shoe :-

One way to go. A single pair of decent shoes (by most people’s standards) and the clothes you stand up in. Wear for a few days, then bin them and buy new stuff from a ‘mom and pop’ store. Need a good suit? Just beat up a villain who wears the same size and take his. Sorted.

The blueprint for Shooman before he sees the light and goes walkabout ?
The excerpt and shoes look like something a Moldy Fig would wear.

Panama filled his bath with warm water, he then added the finest bath salts from Floris and relaxed with a fine glass of Hennessey. After drying himself with Egyptian Giza cotton towels he relaxed.
He had an appointment at the Savoy grill, but he was in no hurry to dress. He applied his favourite scent, Sex Panther. Then he put on his Turnbull and Asser Sea Island cotton shirt, Pantherella Sea Island cotton socks, and Zimmerli Sea Island cotton boxers. The Sea Island cotton caressed his skin. He put on his Kilgour suit, it was in the recent sale and 50% off.
He picked up a pair of black toe cap Oxford's, they were from Church's. They were made out of corrected grain leather and just looked cheap. He threw them in the bin, and found a pair of Cheaney's. Ah, these looked good and not as narrow as Crockett and Jones which gave him blisters.
He was now set, Scaramanga had text him, he booked an Uber and set off for the Savoy.

Panama filled his bath with warm water, he then added the finest bath salts from Floris and relaxed with a fine glass of Hennessey. After drying himself with Egyptian Giza cotton towels he relaxed.
He had an appointment at the Savoy grill, but he was in no hurry to dress. He applied his favourite scent, Sex Panther. Then he put on his Turnbull and Asser Sea Island cotton shirt, Pantherella Sea Island cotton socks, and Zimmerli Sea Island cotton boxers. The Sea Island cotton caressed his skin. He put on his Kilgour suit, it was in the recent sale and 50% off.
He picked up a pair of black toe cap Oxford's, they were from Church's. They were made out of corrected grain leather and just looked cheap. He threw them in the bin, and found a pair of Cheaney's. Ah, these looked good and not as narrow as Crockett and Jones which gave him blisters.
He was now set, Scaramanga had text him, he booked an Uber and set off for the Savoy.
The ending left me at the edge of my seat - I demand a sequel! Was Nick Nack with Scaramanga, and did theFoo‘s come steal the shoes from the bin?

The Uber arrived at the Savoy, they had left Mayfair but had travelled via the Dartford tunnel. The Uber driver must have spotted they were being followed.
Panama was seated at his table, Scaramanga had not yet arrived. He looked at the menu, he was expecting Sole Meunière, although he preferred Sole Grenobloise. Alas, this wasn't on the menu, he ordered the Turbot with Béarnaise sauce. Scaramanga arrived, they had been rivals at Eton where a well known author had borrowed his name. Panama, noticed his shoos. Graziano and Girling, suppliers to iGents and Circus Clowns.
He wore a Italian styled suit from the best Napolitano tailor. He was sweating.
Had he been followed?
Panama looked around the room, a sophisticated brunette was on the table next to theirs. She was stunning, she smiled. "How you doin?" he asked. Scaramanga slumped on the table his head hitting a bread roll sending it flying into the air. He was dead...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom