The All-Inclusive Shoe & Boot Thread

Johnny Lobb + Gallo

Saturday arvo lockdown combo. Was a nice day so l wanted to look at nice colours. A poor photo, but striking colours in person that POP.

Very comfy sox, very comfy shoos.

John-Lobb-Gallo.jpg

Johnny Lobb + Gallo

Saturday arvo lockdown combo. Was a nice day so l wanted to look at nice colours. A poor photo, but striking colours in person that POP.

John-Lobb-Gallo.jpg
They look great. A perfect fit, too. Are they purple or burgundy and just appear purple in the pic?

They look great. A perfect fit, too. Are they purple or burgundy and just appear purple in the pic?

They look far better in person. Here is the real colour, a purple museum calf. I have both of these pairs, and they are among my favourite shoos ever. The purple goes really well with white trousers, bone trousers, khaki trousers and light gray trousers.

You like `em?

John Lobb for Paul Smith purple shoos 3.jpg John Lobb for Paul Smith purple shoos 5.jpg

They look far better in person. Here is the real colour, a purple museum calf. I have both of these pairs, and they are among my favourite shoos ever. The purple goes really well with white trousers, bone trousers, khaki trousers and light gray trousers.

You like `em?

View attachment 41654View attachment 41655
I think light grey would be the best trousers to pair them with . I'm basing that on how well a purple tie looks with a ight grey suit.

I think light grey would be the best trousers to pair them with . I'm basing that on how well a purple tie looks with a ight grey suit.
Light grey trousers works great, and especially when paired with a light blue shirt and purple striped tie. Those shoes also work surprisingly well with navy trousers and purple/white gingham check shirt (today's outfit).

Navy bloo shoos also work well with light grey trousers and navy blazer, but it is still a quirky look and never as perfect as black or brown shoes with classic combinations. None-the-less, l get bored with brown and black shoes, so bloos and purples and greens shoos are welcome in warmer weather.

Johnny Lobb + Gallo

John-Lobb-Gallo.jpg
Can a Big Daddy use the term ‘arvo’?

I always imagined a Big Daddy would sound like the master of ceremonies on ‘The Good Old Days’ - Leonard Sachs.

So lots of big words and long sentences.

Can a Big Daddy use the term ‘arvo’?

It is a laid back term that true blue aussies use. Most in Oz probably wouldn't know the term, but country folk with linkages going back 5 to 8 generations of aussie. Fxh would probably know what the word means because he was raised from fairdinkum troo bloo stock.

Spoke to a young bloke the other day from the country. As aussie as can be. He knew exactly what l was talking about when l used the word `arvo'.

Last edited:
Fair crack of the whip - are you even a dinkum Aussie if you don't know what 'arvo' means?!
all 5th generation old school aussies would know what it means, however many of the youth of today probably wouldn't because our unique culture has been lost. It's a real dinki di aussie term that used to be used when aussies were real aussies. Globalisation has greatly watered down the aussie spirit....the people are less simple and less welcoming now.

Fxh and my family used to live next door to each other. We understand the aussie spirit and the simple ways of the old schoolers. Our families were classics of the old school. I miss the simple ways when people were humble and didn't want much. The human mind has become too complex now.

Ordering some mtm engineers from Indonesia, made with a 1.2mm black horserump from Maryam tannery in Italy and Dr Sole half sole from Japan.

I sent them about a dozen foot measurements and tracings, but still nervous on the fit.

I based the make-up of some 1930s Chippewa boots that stayed in production through to the 60s. Probably same as worn by James Dean and The Clash, btw.

Four to five month wait now.

799CE275-046B-43EC-A9B2-4E32F8F912A2.jpeg

Is there an practical advantage between a half and a full sole (assuming heel stacks equal out)?

F49B6BC8-FB8B-4856-8322-6EC93F5B9168.jpeg
9575109E-E717-4877-A025-3D07816897D8.jpeg
1A5A4E5B-9F30-451C-9A56-E404C2FB7D70.jpeg
32E8E3A2-91E6-403F-A0C2-821189F43CA5.jpeg

I have been thinking about my shoo game lately and what l am going to do. I have certain options:

1). buy top goodyear welted shoos locally.
2). get a try-on shoe and eventually special order Paolo Scafora in a green norvegese wholecut
paolo scafora green wholecut.jpeg
3). Special order ACME shoes for glitz and glamour.

4). Special order Passus shoes and then have Dandy shoe care do a flashy patina in green and yellow. I like Passus shoes a lot, and may still do it.
5). Pay $4,000 and order Gaziano & Girling optimum handmade range.
6). Order more Vass and get kind of bored. I love Vass and the footwear experience, but sometimes I crave more excitement in footwear.
7). Order my dream shoos!

Frankly...I am over goodyear welted shoes, and flashy shoes with snouts like Scafora and ACME are too over the top for me these days. I love the shoes, but l am at an age where l want to tone it down much of the time now. Gaziano & Girling is too elegant and flashy for me too, so l don't really care to pay the big bucks for handmade.

I like the lasts of Passus, and Vass, and Lobb and Edward Green. But what really excites me is Lattanzi, nothing looks better than Lattanzi when it is done well. When Lattanzi is right, it is very very right.

Here is my recent Lattanzi. Bought him off a reseller who owns Passus shoes. I know my shoes and sizing and lasts, so l should be o.k. I would much rather order shoes like this than anything else in the world. ASnd while not cheap, still priced less than G&G optimum and probably much better overall in every way possible.

Silvano Lattanzi
My dream shoe. It should fit right on, but if it doesn't l can always return it. It is worth taking the chance for a shoe of this caliber.
Silvano-Lattanzi-monk-mine-1.jpg

Silvano-Lattanzi-monk-mine-2.jpg

Silvano-Lattanzi-monk-mine-3.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a few Lattanzi I love. My type of shoos.

This is my exact size and slightly used. A good price. Would have bought it the seller allowed me to contact him. Bentivegna construction.
Lattanzi - bentivegna construction - brown derby 1.jpg

These are some dream Lattanzi l love. Absolute English classics with an Italian Patina!!!!
Silvano Lattanzi tan captoe oxford stunning 1.jpg Silvano Lattanzi tan captoe oxford stunning 3.jpg Silvano Lattanzi tan captoe oxford stunning 2.jpg

English style Lattanzi monks
Silvano Lattanzi brown monk english style 1.jpg
Silvano Lattanzi brown monk english style 2.jpg

Here are a few Lattanzi I love. My type of shoos.

This is my exact size and slightly used. A good price. Would have bought it the seller allowed me to contact him. Bentivegna construction.
View attachment 41687

These are some dream Lattanzi l love. Absolute English classics with an Italian Patina!!!!
View attachment 41688View attachment 41689View attachment 41690

English style Lattanzi monks
View attachment 41691
View attachment 41693
Custom Passus for the practical choice but I think you should get Lattanzi to soothe your soul.

It is a laid back term that true blue aussies use. Most in Oz probably wouldn't know the term, but country folk with linkages going back 5 to 8 generations of aussie. Fxh would probably know what the word means because he was raised from fairdinkum troo bloo stock.

Spoke to a young bloke the other day from the country. As aussie as can be. He knew exactly what l was talking about when l used the word `arvo'.
It's used in parts England as well. An abbreviated form of this afternoon.

Custom Passus for the practical choice but I think you should get Lattanzi to soothe your soul.

Yep, ordering custom Passus will do just nicely. Other than that, specially sourcing Lattanzi and ordering the occasional John Lobb will see to most of my needs. Still want to special order the John Lobb spectator shoe in navy and white. Lattanzi for my best days.

Passus. A good shoe for the warmer weather. Need more like this. Want a few 2 eyelet derby including one with a fancy antique. Hope it fits, have almost given up on the Vass U last. Passus looks better imo.
Passus shoes 1.jpg

Last edited:
Ordering some mtm engineers from Indonesia, made with a 1.2mm black horserump from Maryam tannery in Italy and Dr Sole half sole from Japan.

I sent them about a dozen foot measurements and tracings, but still nervous on the fit.

I based the make-up of some 1930s Chippewa boots that stayed in production through to the 60s. Probably same as worn by James Dean and The Clash, btw.

Four to five month wait now.

View attachment 41678
Those look brilliant. Please tell me you’re going to dirty those on an actual motorcycle, and not in an office.

Here you go, the waist treatment of the Chinese made ACME. Far superior to Gaziano & Girling waists. Just like a waist the Japanese do. See from 10:30

I remember 10 years ago when a friend visited China to teach them how to make shoes. He said that China would soon learn how to make G&G style shoes. No-one believed me at the time, but China had everything going for it: they had the quality teachers from England, the modern machinery and the attitude where-as India was just the opposite and was never a bright star for a great shoemaking future.

So that’s $2k and a two year wait, no customization and not even a custom last or modifications allowed to the lasts - all for something completely unseen outside of an Instagram photo?

They don’t look as good or offer as much as Role Club or Clinch in that price range. Attractions look nicer at nearly half the price.

I don’t like the heel counter and the logger heel curve looks bad. The bottom strap angle is off. The toe box looks way too low and the instep looks too high (like they took the last from a chelsea boot).

And yeh everyone is diving on these like the lost ark. 🙄

Good and worn, as it should be. Too many boots are shined and babied. Fine if you’re in the military, otherwise no.

Net-gent W.I Shoeguy lets the cat out of the bag. The sole of the shoe you see here has been worn 6 times, yet hardly any wear. Some of his soles have lasted 10 years regular rotation.

6 wears! He babies his shoos. The shoe to the left of picture has been worn 2 times, yet hardly any wear at all. He should wear swims over the top of them so he never wears them out, and walk without flexing the foot so the leather upper never cracks.
image_2021-10-17_201957.png

Well well well, what have we here?!? You never cease to amaze me. What shoes are these son?

I am guessing Barkers.
No idea some pic I just snaffled off the internet - looks dreadful to me - those socks das well as the shoes - but what would I know - I'm not even a Small Shoo Daddy

No idea some pic I just snaffled off the internet - looks dreadful to me - those socks das well as the shoes - but what would I know - I'm not even a Small Shoo Daddy
Yep, awful sox and the shoes look too long. You might be a small shoe daddy, but you are miles ahead of the average aussie bloke with footwear. I am very impressed that your soles are stitched on. fxh fxh you know what really shocked me?...it was when you purchased Edward Green, you punched so far above you weight that l have never forgotten it. Do you still own them?

Last edited:
Been tempted to get a Berluti wholecut, but too much of a rip off. Might try this instead, the Altan wholecut. Would want a try on shoe first.

Altan wholecut 1.jpg Altan wholecut 2.jpg

but of course have it in French patina green or purple. Purple is more versatile, but l want the perfect looking green shoe.

Dream green patina from Altan

Berluti green patina

One of the last bastions here of classic off-the-peg menswear is Pelger. Their business model is gone and it's not coming back. Lots of elements to that and it's a sad family business story. Amongst several elements: they're mega-over priced, try to cover too many bases from Italian to the English look, but you can still get Crockett & Jones there. Alas, my busines with them, which is limited to said C&J's, isn't going to save them.

Noticed yesterday, they had a window display of white sneakers/trainers. Should have took a photo of it. That's how bad and desperate it is. They're having to jump on the band wagon. Next up, I reckon C&J's will go.

One of the last bastions here of classic off-the-peg menswear is Pelger. Their business model is gone and it's not coming back. Lots of elements to that and it's a sad family business story. Amongst several elements: they're mega-over priced, try to cover too many bases from Italian to the English look, but you can still get Crockett & Jones there. Alas, my busines with them, which is limited to said C&J's, isn't going to save them.

Noticed yesterday, they had a window display of white sneakers/trainers. Should have took a photo of it. That's how bad and desperate it is. They're having to jump on the band wagon. Next up, I reckon C&J's will go.

Yep, our local retailer who always stocked quality items is the same. Gone are the Church's and C&J and most other nice things, and in are the sneakers and spanish shoes and clothing made off shore. Henry Bucks has badly fallen in the last few years, especially in the last 12 months. Insiders predict doom for them. Lots of old timers who used to work there have also been sacked. The place is soulless now. Henry Bucks used to be an institution owned by family for over 100 years, but the new owner has wrecked the joint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom