The All-Inclusive Shoe & Boot Thread

Edward Green are pushing a lot of cheaper made shoes at their trunk shows and website now. Notice all the rubber soles that are stitched a loft that sell for very high prices, and loafers and boots where the uppers are so flimsy that they look like a crumpled mess. Numerous glued soles too. Like with many English makers now, they are reducing their standards. They can't compete with all these Italian and Asian firms making great handmade shoes, so maybe they are starting to sellout.

image_2021-11-14_183047.png

Edward Green are pushing a lot of cheaper made shoes at their trunk shows and website now. Notice all the rubber soles that are stitched a loft that sell for very high prices, and loafers and boots where the uppers are so flimsy that they look like a crumpled mess. Numerous glued soles too. Like with many English makers now, they are reducing their standards. They can't compete with all these Italian and Asian firms making great handmade shoes, so maybe they are starting to sellout.

View attachment 42047
The problem is the demographic interested in shoes is declining and I think very rapidly.

Some awesome shoes from Yohei Fukuda. Absolutely impressive the finishing level, even tangible in the photos. You may perhaps find the style too refined, especially in some models, but these shoes are works of art.

View attachment 37417
View attachment 37418View attachment 37419
View attachment 37420View attachment 37421
View attachment 37422View attachment 37423

As already said, I'm no fan of Chelsea and Lazyman, but you have to admire the precision of the work. That suede colour is gorgeous.
First post for me so please be gentle.. And I would kill for these Suede Chelsea beauties. Until then the meh EG Galway Dainite is killing me. How much time it takes for the GB beasts to break ?! or should I just leather resole them?! never again Dainite. :-(

First post for me so please be gentle.. And I would kill for these Suede Chelsea beauties. Until then the meh EG Galway Dainite is killing me. How much time it takes for the GB beasts to break ?! or should I just leather resole them?! never again Dainite. :-(
If you're use to leather soles, you'll have a shock when you have Dainite ones.

Please explain in more detail if you don't mind. I thought it might have been the opposite.
From my anecdotal position, I hardly see any male in an office business environment or at street level in anything above white sneakers or cheap and nasty shoes. A decade or more ago, that would not have been the case.

The great new frontiers in China are not about subtle quality, but lavish displays of logo labels. Hence with these new mass markets, despite the massive populations, it hasn't translated into sufficient business streams to replace the baby boomers.

It's a hypothesis, but I think it will be interesting backed up with D&B reports over a couple of years.

The great new frontiers in China are not about subtle quality, but lavish displays of logo labels.

Yes, the Chinese associate logos with western wealth so it is supposed to elevate a brand. They loves brands.

Hence with these new mass markets, despite the massive populations, it hasn't translated into sufficient business streams to replace the baby boomers.
It's incredible how all this has happened. These days we have those awful shopping centers everywhere which sell highly inferior wears from China and Bangladesh. I remember the days when those shopping centers sold quality goods from Australia, England and France.

Hard to find quality items these days. Quality is forgotten or unknown by most people now. Trousers and socks are poor quality and limited here in Oz, and jumpers are lacking too. This in a city of over 5 million people.

Got me a new family member recently. Shoos for BIG daddies! They never cease to amaze me. Good fit too.

Silvano Lattanzi
Lattanzi - my brown pair 1.jpg Lattanzi - my brown pair 3.jpg Lattanzi - my brown pair 8.jpg

Last edited:
Future shoos to order

1). Will snag one last Lattanzi before Christmas
2). Next year I will place a special order from ACME shoemaker with a special trial shoe before l finalise the fit. It will be my ultimate dream shoe, a 2 eyelet derby in a chameleon patina in the colour exactly like this green one below: it is the shoo l wear with beautiful white trousers on sunny warm days.
G & G patina 1.png G & G patina.jpg

Might even do the Galaxy patina one day too. Just wanna have a bit of fun on sunny days, hence a patina shoo here and there. I get too board with browns and blacks and reds...sometimes something fun is needed.

After these fun kicks i'll be going back in my shoo cave again for many months. Been really enjoying myself of late, but trying not to get too excited.

W.I Shoeguy claims he is a shoo aficionado, but immediately after saying that he proves that he is anything but. He makes a tragic mistake and claims the tight waist on a fully handmade shoo is glued or blake stitched. He made one of the worst possible mistakes and showed his knowledge is very poor. Having a glued or blake stitched waist defeats the purpose of a handmade shoe. He made a grave mistake that reveals he has an entire body of knowledge missing.

ACME - close cut waist 1.jpg

Hello, Im designing a classical saddle oxford and my thoughts are going to something more 30-ish rather than to modern take on the saddle. So we are talking a bit of extravagance, spade sole, the works. Anyone got a pair of saddle that really hits the spot that you can share. I would love to see some old saddles from the 30s if you got.

I have a pair of mtm black engineers about 3 months out, coming from Benzein and a new black leather jacket. I was going to wear the Mason boots I bought a few months ago, but their idea of extra-wide is not mine.

Anyway, I didn’t want to buy new boots just for this winter and black clashing leather colors offends my occasional OCD.

Luckily, I remembered yesterday I still have a pair of new GP boots I left the army with. These went out of production over thirty years ago - first replaced by the same boot in baby shit brown, then snot green and finally replaced with a completely nylon upper.

A00C2553-76A5-4C9C-A5D3-47E8F4D81E36.jpeg

Hey, I took some photoes of a pair of spades that really came out well. These came with inspiration from a pair of old 100s I found on Ebay.
PS, if you guys dont want me to post just tell me. I'm new to this forum.

/As

Attachments

• IMG_8771.jpg
    IMG_8771.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8783.jpg
    IMG_8783.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 55
Hey, I took some photoes of a pair of spades that really came out well. These came with inspiration from a pair of old 100s I found on Ebay.
PS, if you guys dont want me to post just tell me. I'm new to this forum.

/As
Very nice. Where did you buy those spade soles?

I don't know about knowing so much about loafers, but one thing l do suspect is that these forums have ruined many a man's life. I feel sorry for the wives.

the gf seems like a know-it-all thinking she knows more about men's clothes than men. So many of these young ones are still wet behind the ears....haven't learned the way the world works yet.

Such sad combos...bf addicted to clothing forums, and gf thinking they know everything. Pthh, l eat those types for lunch and spit `em out. I grind their bones and make my bread out of them.

Don't let anyone tell you that Artioli aren't good shoes. Here is a pair being sold by Shoesnob.

Artioli handmades - hand welted and hand stitched soles.
Retail = $10,000 USD. Rare!!! They make some of the finest handmade shoes, look at the high spi on the soles.
Artioli alligator hand welted 3.jpg
Artioli alligator hand welted 5.jpg
Artioli alligator hand welted 6.jpg

Chinese, eh? Amazing.
I suppose with a sole such as that you would need 1940s style trousers with quite a width.
Haha I would say you either love them or hate them, I like some extreme widths though. These bespoke golfers were made with extra width. An eye sore for some, dersire for others.
IMG_8403.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Some final scenes in the film The Cobbler. Some dad had a hidden shoe collection behind closed doors. Here are the scenes:
image_2021-12-24_175748.png

Last edited:
1640770662344.png

I probably own more boots than I’ll ever need, but I kinda like the retro look in these ones. Dropbear Dropbear , any ideas what brand they are, or have you seen something similar in good quality?

Attachments

• 1640770627555.png
    1640770627555.png
    504.6 KB · Views: 45
belinmad belinmad I don’t recognize them from the front, but all the PNW custom boot makers offer a lace-to-toe (ltt) configuration. I’d start with Whites and Nicks, then look at Wesco and Drew’s and some of the lesser brands stocked by Bakers.

Whites offer a lot of vintage/retro style base models with a LOT of custom options. They are also the real deal - still the preferred boot for loggers and wildfire fighters, etc

belinmad belinmad I don’t recognize them from the front, but all the PNW custom boot makers offer a lace-to-toe (ltt) configuration. I’d start with Whites and Nicks, then look at Wesco and Drew’s and some of the lesser brands stocked by Bakers.

Whites offer a lot of vintage/retro style base models with a LOT of custom options. They are also the real deal - still the preferred boot for loggers and wildfire fighters, etc

Thanks, will take a look!

White’s look like they will last through Armageddon. How much are their customs, and how long do they take?
They have some diffusion lines for the SWD crowd, but I’d suggest going all-in on something like a Bounty Hunter:

You can also do a mock-up here:

I think they take around 2-4 months now, depending on the season.

Another option would be the Packer boot. Whites, Drew’s, Nick’s and I think the others all offer a model as well - definitely a vintage style (made for long hours standing, packing salmon in the cannery).

I don’t have first hand experience with Nicks or Drew’s, but I can attest to the comfort of White’s arch ease. Wouldn’t be my first choice for a long hike but they are unbeatable if you are standing around on your feet all day.

Another option would be the Packer boot. Whites, Drew’s, Nick’s and I think the others all offer a model as well - definitely a vintage style (made for long hours standing, packing salmon in the cannery).

I don’t have first hand experience with Nicks or Drew’s, but I can attest to the comfort of White’s arch ease. Wouldn’t be my first choice for a long hike but they are unbeatable if you are standing around on your feet all day.

What would you choose for walking and hiking?

What would you choose for walking and hiking?

For serious hiking I’d try something lighter (Danner and most of the military boots look more like tall sneakers these days). All these PNW boots are HEAVY (and bombproof). The custom fit and lasting options are great for my wide feet, but it’s a trade-off. Maybe something with additional cushioning in the foot bed. Workboots are layers of leather with a Vibram sole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom