The All-Inclusive Shoe & Boot Thread

alright, they turned it down quickly, why that?

iirc, they were handmade before northhampton took the lead with igents, not?

They are still handmade, except the heel block is now machine done. Vass turned into a designer due to that northamptom bloke, they knew the money was there and sold out to the modern styling. Combining Vass with modern styling doesn't really work, but at least they still make the classics.

according to vass dna, the balance is out of whack, imo. it's about the heel block, which seems to be adapted to style preferences. the picture doesn't give it away, if it's still handmade? things might have changed in their workshop and in their strategy, I dunno. nevertheless, a handmade heelblock is something you never forget, apparently in a romantic way, but still.

as said above by sirloin , it seems to be a catalogue style, which was presented in a plain colour and now it's museum and/or what it's called in their terminology.

Yeah, the heel block looks good on the traditional models like the alt wien on the 3636 and the Budapest last, but it looks odd on the P2, F last etc. Vass do the time tested classics the best, everything looks natural with nothing out of place.

When it comes to Vass' modern styling, it is a bug bear, but l accept it because l like the quality of vass, the comfort, and especially the ride. Very few shoes feel like Vass on the feet.

Sometimes l compromise and wear English gyw. I don't get the full handmade beauty and ride, but l get beautiful classic styles.
Sometimes l compromise and wear Vass modern styles. I don't get the classic beauty, but l get the ride and quality.
Sometimes l just wear the Vass classics. They are perfect, but iot is not a shoe l want to wear every day, sometimes l want something more exciting.
Sometimes l don't want any compromise, so l wear Lattanzi. Top ride, top quality, top styling, top everything.

Last edited:
They are still handmade, except the heel block is now machine done. Vass turned into a designer due to that northamptom bloke, they knew the money was there and sold out to the modern styling. Combining Vass with modern styling doesn't really work, but at least they still make the classics.
thanks for confirming, nothing to add.

Do you not think the cap aesthetically matches the relatively slim waist of this shoe?
relatively, we are talking about vass. the p2 was designed to match the english ambitions of their crowd. the people asked for slimmer ..., I dunno, if they did, I don't follow vass since years. if they did, they should call it p2/2 and communicate to their people.

changing the scale of a last is about the fit. this is your bread and butter. if this version works, it's good, if, it's a rework of the old version, you push the existing clients into mto. this is a plan, but, is it a good plan? does it work? we talk about usd 600 without mto charges going to usd 800, if this ok for their current customers, it will work. I have no clue about their business plan, anyway.

I have ordered these espadrilles online from Oliver Sweeney, they offer free returns if they turn out to be a poor fit. They are very similar to my Rivieras...

Campomar-Khaki_1_850x.progressive.jpg

Oliver Sweeney

IMG-20210526-WA0011.jpg

Rivieras

I like these Oliver Sweeney Sirolo's. But they are quite expensive. I have bought two pairs of Clarks Court Lites. I may consider the final pair below, hand made in Portugal for ETQ.

Sirolo-Bianco-1_850x.progressive.jpg

26163885_W_2.jpeg
ETQ_Model_034Angel5_2048x.jpg

ETQ Amsterdam Portugal version.

Last edited:
ETQ Amsterdam are having a sale. I am thinking about either of these, there are slight differences...

ETQ_Model_028Angel5_2048x.jpg
ETQ-Amsterdam-LT01PortRoyal0082_v1crob_2048x.jpg

Well in the cold light of day, I am sticking with the Clarks and will head into London to try on the Repetto Zizi's next month...

Last edited:
Well in the cold light of day, I am sticking with the Clarks and will head into London to try on the Repetto Zizi's next month...
Think these look alright from Clarks (at least side on) for a knock around summer shoe:

The last desert boots I had from them were pretty uncomfortable on the soles of the feet after a few hours. They looked comfortable, but weren't.

Think these look alright from Clarks (at least side on) for a knock around summer shoe:

The last desert boots I had from them were pretty uncomfortable on the soles of the feet after a few hours. They looked comfortable, but weren't.
I will be wearing Wallabees next like my barber...

I will check out some casual "Bucks".

In The Mid-1950's, Italian Shoemakers Were Selling "Defense Shoes", Complete With Spurs On Toes And Heels To Kick Away Offensive Sex Pests, Especially In Rome

1659771235278.png

Yeah, the heel block looks good on the traditional models like the alt wien on the 3636 and the Budapest last, but it looks odd on the P2, F last etc. Vass do the time tested classics the best, everything looks natural with nothing out of place.

When it comes to Vass' modern styling, it is a bug bear, but l accept it because l like the quality of vass, the comfort, and especially the ride. Very few shoes feel like Vass on the feet.

Sometimes l compromise and wear English gyw. I don't get the full handmade beauty and ride, but l get beautiful classic styles.
Sometimes l compromise and wear Vass modern styles. I don't get the classic beauty, but l get the ride and quality.
Sometimes l just wear the Vass classics. They are perfect, but iot is not a shoe l want to wear every day, sometimes l want something more exciting.
Sometimes l don't want any compromise, so l wear Lattanzi. Top ride, top quality, top styling, top everything.
Exactly. I was thinking to myself the other day as I was wearing a new pair of F lasts (ordered 4, all F) that they always feel so good out of the box. It is the ride indeed. I also bought a pair of EG Dover as EG has brought it out on the 32 last and the 32 last fits me better than the 82 does now unless I go up a width in the 82.
relatively, we are talking about vass. the p2 was designed to match the english ambitions of their crowd. the people asked for slimmer ..., I dunno, if they did, I don't follow vass since years. if they did, they should call it p2/2 and communicate to their people.

changing the scale of a last is about the fit. this is your bread and butter. if this version works, it's good, if, it's a rework of the old version, you push the existing clients into mto. this is a plan, but, is it a good plan? does it work? we talk about usd 600 without mto charges going to usd 800, if this ok for their current customers, it will work. I have no clue about their business plan, anyway.
Great relative value for a hand-lasted, hand-welted shoe.

A lot of people, iGentts think Topy is a chunk of old tractor tyre hacked off with an axe or blowtorch and glued with some thick gunk to the sole. It isn’t. It’s a thin, or very thin, strip fitted to the sole and works wonderfully.it not only protects the sole from wear and tear and can be easily replaced but, most importantly, will protect you from falling arse over tit in the marbled corridors of power.
good to see this nonsense is still around the forums. do it, but please, don't praise it. it's a half-assed measure. it's a last exit scenario for beaters. otherwise, just get your things right and have your leather soled shoes versus rubber soled, done. no need to mess around on good shoes with this crap. sorry to say. I will not necessarily continue this discussion. I'm totally fed up with it and the record is broken on several lines. many thanks.

good to see this nonsense is still around the forums. do it, but please, don't praise it. it's a half-assed measure. it's a last exit scenario for beaters. otherwise, just get your things right and have your leather soled shoes versus rubber soled, done. no need to mess around on good shoes with this crap. sorry to say. I will not necessarily continue this discussion. I'm totally fed up with it and the record is broken on several lines. many thanks.
A last resort for beaters? Ok, whatever you think.

Exactly. I was thinking to myself the other day as I was wearing a new pair of F lasts (ordered 4, all F) that they always feel so good out of the box. It is the ride indeed. I also bought a pair of EG Dover as EG has brought it out on the 32 last and the 32 last fits me better than the 82 does now unless I go up a width in the 82.

I have no idea of the 32 last. does it look any good?
Great relative value for a hand-lasted, hand-welted shoe.
I agree to this statement, but after the debacle with this asian guy located in london - ascot shoes. big player for vass. they had to sort out a lot of unwanted issues, right?

The Shooman’s worst nightmare…

He is missing out on so much. Trickers or the BIG Johnny Lobb could change his life, but so far he doesn't know about these things. We should get together, and l could explain the importance of experiencing these things. He got rid of his shoos because they weren't worth keeping in the first place, but I am sure, if he entered the world of the BIG Johnny LObb everything would change for him.

So, am I right in thinking you don't like to topy, klementine?

He is missing out on so much. Trickers or the BIG Johnny Lobb could change his life, but so far he doesn't know about these things. We should get together, and l could explain the importance of experiencing these things. He got rid of his shoos because they weren't worth keeping in the first place, but I am sure, if he entered the world of the BIG Johnny LObb everything would change for him.
A trip to the doctor might be a better solution, Shooey. And a serious rethink about education on the whole. Or maybe find some genuinely poor people and have him live with them for a few months. If he survived, which is unlikely, offer him the choice of shoes again. Forget Big Johnny and just send him to Primark.

A trip to the doctor might be a better solution, Shooey. And a serious rethink about education on the whole. Or maybe find some genuinely poor people and have him live with them for a few months. If he survived, which is unlikely, offer him the choice of shoes again. Forget Big Johnny and just send him to Primark.

Yes, walking around bare foot on the streets does make one questions someones mental state.

Ok then, be that way ….

I looked at his shoe collection, and most are shockers. He has many shoes and obviously loves them, but most look cheap and nasty, ie, fred flinstone shoes made in really cheap grainy leather. Would be better off spending the extra money on better pairs and buying less pairs. Then again, he is from Japan where everything is expensive. At least he is making an effort to get better shoes, hence the shoe constructions on his shoes, but....

So, am I right in thinking you don't like to topy, klementine?
absolutely, it's like a nose protector for a porsche 911, even worse. as I said, it's a last extit measure for outworn beaters you love, nothing else.

been there, done that, got the shirt.

ps: it's for cheap people, not for me, sorry.

absolutely, it's like a nose protector for a porsche 911, even worse. as I said, it's a last extit measure for outworn beaters you love, nothing else.

been there, done that, got the shirt.

ps: it's for cheap people, not for me, sorry.
I see. So you like walking round with a worn down sole at the toe, Klementine. Why do you think the smart French always topy leather soles? And not only the Frenchies: even Big Daddy Shoomen such as Shooey have been known to do it.

Talking of Porches, my boy has one. Not sure which number though. I'll have to ask him.

I see. So you like walking round with a worn down sole at the toe, Klementine. Why do you think the smart French always topy leather soles? And not only the Frenchies: even Big Daddy Shoomen such as Shooey have been known to do it.

Talking of Porches, my boy has one. Not sure which number though. I'll have to ask him.

That is exactly right Sammy Ambrose Sammy Ambrose , topy avoids ratty looking worn down soles. Nothing worse than a leather sole that is getting thin, i'd rather have full meat on those soles at all times. Some people also wear soles more at the toe, so numerous resoles can be required over a few short years, which means the welt will need replacing, and not all factories do it. The other issue is sending shoes back to the manufacturer for repair, what if they get lost in the mail? Recently l had a pair of Lattanzi get lost in the mail, my best pair ever....Lattanzi's top shoe, a norvegese Oslo. I don't want to be sending shoes all the time in the mail each time they wear down at the toes.

I do enjoy reading Klementine's posts however. His views is very anti topy, so it is interesting to see what he has to say. I did enjoy his "it's for cheap people" comment (so sarcasm meant here), it made me smile. Maybe that is true too, it probably is for `cheap people'....topies save me so much trouble as mentioned above, but it also saves me big bucks in posting shoes for expensive resoles, taxes, fees etc.

Wore a pair of Gaziano & Girling down to the welt after about 7 wears. Imagine the cost of wearing these over the long term, ie, posting to England, taxes and resole costs. They would also take months to return, especially in these COVID times. I also wear down double soles down at the toes quickly, especially when new, they are stiff; soles look ratty and worn down after 7 or 8 wears.

Last edited:
Sent my shoos back to Lattanzi for a resole. Cost was 980.00 euro + $320 ASD postage to get it safely delivered within 7 days. Total cost = roughly $1,800 ASD :oops:

Result:
- crudely sewn soles with crooked wide stitches
- they arrived rattling around in a big box without any packing insulation.

Things were much worse than that, but l won't go into it. Lattanzi and I probably have a karmic relationship that needed to be settled, so l needed to take everything on the chin like a man.

Another pair of Lattanzi also need restitching, but instead of going through the drama again l might just put them in the back of my cardboard and forget about them. I am putting it down to paying off karma. We don't always win, sometimes we lose. Gotta take it on the chin like a man and move on.

Sent my shoos back to Lattanzi for a resole. Cost was 980.00 euro + $320 ASD postage to get it safely delivered within 7 days. Total cost = roughly $1,800 ASD :oops:

Result:
- crudely sewn soles with crooked wide stitches
- they arrived rattling around in a big box without any packing insulation.

Things were much worse than that, but l won't go into it. Lattanzi and I probably have a karmic relationship that needed to be settled, so l needed to take everything on the chin like a man.

Another pair of Lattanzi also need restitching, but instead of going through the drama again l might just put them in the back of my cardboard and forget about them. I am putting it down to paying off karma. We don't always win, sometimes we lose. Gotta take it on the chin like a man and move on.
hang on a sec shooey. you sent this in to them and spent damn near $2000 and got a piss poor job back yet you're just going to accept it and ride off into the sunset?

hang on a sec shooey. you sent this in to them and spent damn near $2000 and got a piss poor job back yet you're just going to accept it and ride off into the sunset?

I could fight and fight, but for what? They don't care, and don't have integrity. You can't change dark hearts Rambo.

I have only told that good parts of the story, it gets a whole lot worse than that. Would rather throw those shoes in a fire than deal with him again. Worst person l have ever dealt with.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom