The Art of Packing Well

Pimpernel Smith

Tone Deaf Daddy
Here we go: cabin size approved, one extra shirt (extra from the several days needed)/boxers/socks/tie/pants, plus travel blazer and shoes with trees and I've still got room for the laptop:

IMG_1011.JPG

Next stop Washington DC!

How long are you in DC?

Not long enough: I'm flying tomorrow only on account the flight on Monday was nearly €4000 in economy and it's full on until Wednesday when I fly out and Thursday afternoon I'm back in the office meeting one of the shareholders and the offshore windmill ''It's going to be bigger than oil & gas!'' consultants looking for a sugar daddy. Friday is officially a holiday here and then the next day I'm on my family all-inclusive experience . Normally I would add a good day on at the end to do things, but this isn't a good one for getting on the museum/shopping/meeting esteemed members of the forum front. Which as you know, I like to do!

I will of course, be keeping a journal of my restaurant/drinking/meals including the flights of which my kids take a particular interest. They also think for a strange reason, perhaps because I've told them so, I've been invited to the Whitehouse to advise Trump on USA-Anglo-Dutch relations and the driver tomorrow is from the USA embassy and will have a big Stars and Stripes flag on the car. I need to leave extra quiet in case I am exposed!

Well, if you want any eating and drinking reccys, let me know.

I'll look for you at Dulles, I'm passing through tomorrow myself.

Not long enough: I'm flying tomorrow only on account the flight on Monday was nearly €4000 in economy and it's full on until Wednesday when I fly out and Thursday afternoon I'm back in the office meeting one of the shareholders and the offshore windmill ''It's going to be bigger than oil & gas!'' consultants looking for a sugar daddy. Friday is officially a holiday here and then the next day I'm on my family all-inclusive experience . Normally I would add a good day on at the end to do things, but this isn't a good one for getting on the museum/shopping/meeting esteemed members of the forum front. Which as you know, I like to do!

I will of course, be keeping a journal of my restaurant/drinking/meals including the flights of which my kids take a particular interest. They also think for a strange reason, perhaps because I've told them so, I've been invited to the Whitehouse to advise Trump on USA-Anglo-Dutch relations and the driver tomorrow is from the USA embassy and will have a big Stars and Stripes flag on the car. I need to leave extra quiet in case I am exposed!
I've just finished the Michael Wolff book - - you couldn't be any worse than Trump's existing advisors - even with your strange ties - and remember Manton has been booted out of there now - so they need a sartorial guru in the White House now.

Well, if you want any eating and drinking reccys, let me know.

I'll look for you at Dulles, I'm passing through tomorrow myself.

Thanks, fortunately I was with one of my US colleagues and so they already knew all the good restaurants. I was impressed with Washington, I expected a New York might get mugged vibe. Sadly, too short to see the Lincoln Memorial and the Vietnam Memorial Wall, I did get to see the aero and space museum which was excellent.

Also managed to get to Brooks Brothers before the taxi arrived to take me to Dulles, but sadly they don't stock my size in Elliot chinos (36-33) only on the website. Which was the only disappointment. Then I decided to get some madras and linen shirts instead and once again I found they had every size except L - in the shirts I wanted. Okay, I lied that was second disappointment.

Was seriously impressed with the cocktails, none of this mostly fruit juice, when you have a Washington DC cocktail you know you've had a serious drink. Also at the airport on the way back. Impressive.

One of my Washington stories::
Many years ago I was in USA for 12 months. At one stage I was doing some training in Washington and commuting down from NYC for a few days every week. I had arranged a visit/day program to St Elizabeth's Hospital. I had to catch a bus there. The Hospital is along Martin Luther King Jnr Avenue.

I waited at the bus stop in the chilly morning. I was the only white guy there. I jumped on the bus - asked the driver to tell me when we reached the stop. He was happy to. I sat down about half way down the bus. I was the only white guy on the bus. Down Martin Luther King Jnr Avenue.

After a while the bus stopped. The driver looked in the mirror and said "Right You OUT" - I thought he was a bit abrupt but I duly got up, and walked to the front of the bus - while all around me said " No, No". I stopped. Then he looked up and again said "Out" - I kept walking while everyone told me " No No". I was very confused. When I got to the front and driver - he said to me " Not you man - its those kids smokin' dope down the back - I'm ordering them off the bus if they don't stop." . They stopped.

I walked back to my seat, with a few people smiling and others giving me a bit of sympathy.

Then the bus stopped at my stop. The driver said " Now its your stop"

I walked up the front and people started laughing. I got off at the stop. All the bus erupted in laughter. The young dope smoking dudes leaned out the window laughing like mad and yelling at me. "Hey white boy - you OK"

The bus stop sign said, in big letters: St Elizabeth's Psychiatric Hospital

Last edited:

Alas, you couldn't get away with Flynn's autobiography today.

What airlines - what destinations routes?
Size weight of bags?

I ask 'cos Ms fxh and my good self are contemplating trying to get away with carry on luggage for 6 weeks in EU

That's a Samsonite one which is cabin approved for most of the world's airlines and has the lock that can be opened by USA customs if you decide to send it the hold. It's 21.5 x something or other so pretty much good to go for KLM, Delta, Qantas, etc. You can easy use that for 6 weeks so long as you limit number of shoes and have no problem with using the hotel laundry service.

Weight between 10 - 12 kgs, I think. You don't need to worry too much about weight as it's size that's the issue.

Last time we made do with cabin luggage but it was 3+ weeks only and it was only .nl, Scotland and Ireland with not much climate variation.

This time we are starting in Portugal in Sept , then Spain, France and up to Scotland then England and home in Nov - so we'll need some jackets etc for UK I assume. Also we have a wedding in Scotland but I'll probably mail my worst suit and shoes etc to Scotland. Hold luggage is no problem on return home as its just on at LHR and 27 hours later home and luggage doesn't have to be carted around.

Thanks for that - I thought there was a 7K cabin limit?

Dunno', just check out the Samsonite website they have all the info there.

Last time we made do with cabin luggage but it was 3+ weeks only and it was only .nl, Scotland and Ireland with not much climate variation.

This time we are starting in Portugal in Sept , then Spain, France and up to Scotland then England and home in Nov - so we'll need some jackets etc for UK I assume. Also we have a wedding in Scotland but I'll probably mail my worst suit and shoes etc to Scotland. Hold luggage is no problem on return home as its just on at LHR and 27 hours later home and luggage doesn't have to be carted around.

You're going to need proper winter gear in Scotland and England from the start of October.

I had a guy make me up a old school duffel bag for my trips to Indian country and out to the place in BC.

Something to hold enough but that I can use as cabin baggage or checked.

British Millerain waxed canvas and oiled saddle leather.

Canvas is burly. 11 ounces.

Nice construction.

Dust cover

IMG_2506.JPG

I stuffed it to fill it out. 12 inch diameter opening. 24 inches tall.
IMG_2507.JPG

Grommet and spring hook closure
IMG_2508.JPG

Side pocket

IMG_2509.JPG

IMG_2510.JPG

Carry handle
IMG_2511.JPG
IMG_2512.JPG
IMG_2513.JPG

Comparison to a 50 L pack

IMG_2514.JPG

I had a guy make me up a old school duffel bag for my trips to Indian country and out to the place in BC.

Nice construction.

Dust cover

View attachment 30916

View attachment 30917

View attachment 30918

Side pocket

View attachment 30919

View attachment 30920

Carry handle
View attachment 30921View attachment 30922View attachment 30923

View attachment 30924
what's the leather thing in the pocket?

I miss William Wardrobe. He used to send a steamer trunk ahead - even for short weekends.

Proper old school.

Duffel bags are so ungainly and not particularly efficient for travel but to each their own. Pretty robust though.

Airlines keep changing the game with regards to cabin luggage. And I find Samsonite and the likes ( whilst somewhat attractive) not efficient and does fall foul with a few airlines.

Last edited:
Clamshell is the only way to go, whether pack or roll aboard. Getting in and out of duffels is maddening.

The Arc'Teryx I/C/O is what I have for a backpack, though I don't use it as much anymore.

86653_2.jpg

99% of the time I use my Tom Bihn Co-Pilot. Pretty much anything under 3 or 4 days.

copilot-closed.jpg

well done

Nice construction.

Dust cover

View attachment 30916

View attachment 30917

View attachment 30918

Side pocket

View attachment 30919

View attachment 30920

Carry handle
View attachment 30921View attachment 30922View attachment 30923

View attachment 30924

Depends on length and purpose of trip. Just a three day business jaunt then one shoe all the way. Longer or leisure, then I'll bring two pair.

There is always ‘Wearable luggage’.

You avoid giving money to Ryanair....

..and you get a chance to feature as the subject in ‘Disagreeable Menswear Post of The Day’.

Jack Reacher style. Just carry a toothbrush and the clothes you stand up in.

When you need a change buy new stuff and leave your old clothes in a bin at the shop.

Reacher wears inexpensive stuff not igent clothing (unless he has taken a suit from a villain).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom