The Cold-Pocalypse Cometh!

Grand Potentate

Supporter of Possible Sexual Deviants
Prepare your insulated condoms, people, you're gonna need em!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/03/cold-us-temperatures_n_4538827.html

Cold U.S. Temperatures Expected To Break Records As 'Polar Vortex' Blasts Midwest
By CARSON WALKER 01/03/14 06:35 PM ET EST
ap_wire.png

n-COLD-large570.jpg

A pedestrian covers her face to keep warm in New York, U.S., on Friday, Jan. 3, 2014. Wind-driven snow whipped through New Yorks streets and piled up in Boston as a fast-moving storm brought near-blizzard conditions to parts of the Northeast, closing roads, grounding flights and shutting schools. Photographer: Jin Lee/Bloomberg via Getty Images | Bloomberg via Getty Images

Follow:
Cold U.S. Temperatures, US Weather, Midwest Weather, Polar Vortex, Us Cold, Us Cold Weather, Us Polar Vortex, Us Storm, weather, Green News

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) — The weather warnings are dire: Life threatening wind chills. Historic cold outbreak. Bitter cold temperatures.

Winter is normally cold, but starting Sunday tundra-like temperatures are poised to deliver a rare and potentially dangerous sledgehammer blow to much of the Midwest, driving temperatures so far below zero that records will shatter.

One reason? A "polar vortex," as one meteorologist calls it, which will send cold air piled up at the North Pole down to the U.S., funneling it as far south as the Gulf Coast.

The temperature predictions are startling: 25 below zero in Fargo, N.D., minus 31 in International Falls, Minn., and 15 below in Indianapolis and Chicago. At those temperatures, exposed skin can get frostbitten in minutes and hypothermia can quickly set in because wind chills could hit 50, 60 or even 70 below zero.

Temperature records will likely be broken during the short, yet forceful deep freeze that will begin in many places on Sunday and extend into early next week. That's thanks to a perfect combination of the jet stream, cold surface temperatures and the polar vortex — a counterclockwise-rotating pool of cold, dense air, said Ryan Maue, of Tallahassee, Fla., a meteorologist for Weather Bell.

"All the ingredients are there for a near-record or historic cold outbreak," he said. "If you're under 40 (years old), you've not seen this stuff before."

Snow already on the ground and fresh powder expected in some places ahead of the cold air will reduce the sun's heating effect, so nighttime lows will plummet thanks to strong northwest winds that will deliver the Arctic blast, Maue said. And there's no warming effect from the Gulf to counteract the cold air, he said.

The cold blast will sweep through parts of New England, where residents will have just dug out from a snowstorm and the frigid temperatures that followed. Parts of the central Midwest could also see up to a foot of snow just as the cold sweeps in pulling temperatures to 10 below zero in the St. Louis area.

Even places accustomed to normally mild to warmer winters will see a plunge in temperatures early next week, including Atlanta where the high is expected to hover in the mid-20s on Tuesday.

"This one happens to be really big and it's going to dive deep into the continental U.S. And all that cold air is going to come with it," said Sally Johnson, meteorologist in charge at the National Weather Service in Sioux Falls.

It's relatively uncommon to have such frigid air blanket so much of the U.S., maybe once a decade or every couple of decades, Maue said. But in the long-run the deep temperature dives are less meaningful for comparison to other storms than daytime highs that are below-zero and long cold spells, he said.

And so far, this winter is proving to be a cold one.

"Right now for the winter we will have had two significant shots of major Arctic air and we're only through the first week of January. And we had a pretty cold December," Maue said.

Cities and states are already taking precautions. Minnesota called off school for Monday statewide, the first such closing in 17 years, because of projected highs in the minus teens and lows as cold as 30 below. Milwaukee and Madison, Wis., students also won't be in class Monday. North Dakota Gov. Jack Dalrymple urged superintendents to keep children's safety in making the decision after the state forecast called for "life threatening wind chills" through Tuesday morning.

Sunday's playoff game in Green Bay could be among one of the coldest NFL games ever played. Temperatures at Lambeau Field are expected to be a frigid minus 2 degrees when the Packers and San Francisco 49ers kick off, and by the fourth quarter it'll be a bone-chilling minus 7, with wind chills approaching minus 30, according to the National Weather Service. Officials are warning fans to take extra safety measures to stay warm including dressing in layers and sipping warm drinks.

And though this cold spell will last just a few days as warmer air comes behind, it likely will freeze over the Great Lakes and other bodies of water, meaning frigid temperatures will likely last the rest of winter, Maue said.

"It raises the chances for future cold," he said, adding it could include next month's Super Bowl in New York.

Thursday and Friday were cold. Even I had to go inside with a full flannel kit and my heaviest overcoat. The weekend has been mild in comparison although it will now dip back to frigid temperatures at least for a few days this coming week. I always wonder about the women who do not wear pantyhose. Is it therapeutic to expose your thighs/knees to icy weather? Surely boots do not go higher than one's knee?

BTW - you see that area down in the bottom right with the warmest temperatures in the nation? That's me.

Ah, yes, the sun always shines on the righteous. Of course, come July, when it's still shining
Hey, I have to put up with all of your striving, yuppie, Piobaire-like cocksuckers who escape your frigid temperatures to come down here and live. And, or, die. So I deserve something, dammit.
I'm doing my best. I woke up to -9F with a windchill of about -30F. It'll be gone in a few days and back to normal around here. 30F is gonna feel like Summer.

I've been keeping track of this storm...

https://www.facebook.com/MissouriSevereWeather
Good christ man. Keep safe and warm.

It was pretty warm on the weekend - around 0c. Now it's back to -16 with high winds. It looks like Wednesday will be the only time we'll see relief.

That said I chose to live where I live. I can't imagine building a proper men's wardrobe if a three season suit is considered winter wear. I'm having quite a bit of fun digging up all the sweaters, scarves and accessories that my parents got me from Scotland last spring.

-22c. Wind chill -39c. I remember walking to school when I was 12 in this weather. For lunch I decided to walk 3/4 of the way back to get a pizza for lunch that instantly became cold leftovers when I left the store.

And similarly in university, I skipped taking the subway to save on the fare and walked five stations. Now I'm pretty sure I would have just used the subway or even taken a cab.

Okay, that little crackle of ice crystals on the car's rear window was unfazed by a good fifteen minutes of defrosting while driving. That's a new one for me. Usually even real ice will melt in a few minutes.

46°F around here with a max of 65°F. :problemo:

Seriously that City that is -31... it's close to where the Celsius and Farenheit measures instersects! How do they live!?!?!?!

It could be worse. You could visit some of the Antarctic science stations in the Winter. Just think, you might get a chance to experience -130F temperatures, 100 mph winds and a dry ice snow storm all at once. I have no idea what kind of wind chill value a 100 mph wind and -130F temps would be. Taking a bath in liquid nitrogen might be warmer.

Hahaha could be. Liquid nitrogen temperature is -195.8 °C that is -320.44 °F

tumblr_ma490rsnXs1ql5h2oo1_250.jpg

It's back!

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4669946/

Brutal Cold Returns To The Midwest
AP01/26/14 12:51 PM ET

CHICAGO (AP) — An unusual weather pattern that drives air from the Arctic Circle south will send temperatures plummeting from Minneapolis to Louisville, Ky., and leave a huge swath of the country colder than Alaska.

Mike Hudson of the National Weather Service says the wind chill will make Minneapolis feel like minus 43 degrees Monday morning — far colder than the minus 4 degrees it will feel like in the nation's northernmost city of Barrow, Alaska.That will be a shock for much of the Midwest. In Kansas City, Mo., the high temperature Sunday was expected to be 60 while Monday's high is forecast to be only 15.

Not only that, but the cold will stick around for a couple days. In Chicago, Hudson says, temperatures should remain below zero for 2½ days.

To be honest I am rather getting used to it. I am definitely walking outside less. I don't remember the last time I walked four blocks except to work.

I really wish the tailor hadn't screwed up the hemming of my moleskin pants. It would be nice to have them to wear tomorrow.
I saw some other douche out in shorts.

I have proper clothing for this kind of weather.
I have some, but proper warm clothing that doesn't have me looking like I'm going backpacking is something that I've never needed for more than a few days in a row...ever. Of course if I stock up, it will be balmy winters for the next few decades...

My main complaint is the amount of time I spend cleaning my trouser cuffs. On really slushy days, I have salt stains all the way up to my knees. We have cheap paper towel in the office. It leaves paper lint on my trousers so I have to use my kent brush to take off the lint as well.

I saw this cobbler have a salt remover spray. Is that dangerous for clothing? I just use water to wipe down my shoes.

Otherwise, I enjoy mixing and matching my scarves, gloves, sweaters and waistcoats. Wearing a tweed jacket at home isn't at all frowned upon by the less rakish in my family.

This snow over ice thing is no good. I'm okay with ice when I can see it, or at least have a clue that it's there. But that fluffy snow mask had me on my ass within a few steps out the door today.

No words on the rock salt shortage? Local news keeps yapping about how the Jones Act (requiring cargo travelling between domestic ports to be owned and licensed by American companies), of which I'm generally a fan, is keeping gobs of ice-melting sodium out at sea.

Last edited:
Or you get hit by a Katrina style storm surge or a Japanese tsunami. Then again slipping in your bathtub could have the same outcome without all the drama.
Neither of which would happen unless you were actually on the beach. Or a complete cripple/moron. Bathtub slipping would be more likely, especially here in FL.

With an average height of a whopping six feet above sea level a direct hit from a Katrina class storm surge would royally fuck up Florida. A 100 foot tsunami would wipe the entire state clean.
Oh, it most definitely would, and will at some point (let's be honest), devistate south Florida. But the point that I was making was that deaths from drowning would be few and far between. Barring some kind of apocalyptic water event.

Well we are talking about apocalypses and a water event would be yours. Speaking of water events we do get horrendous flash floods around here so that can be added to my list of awaiting disasters.
Nah, it wouldn't even take that. Just the continual rising of the sea level will be enough to doom Florida.

Living the good life in the Desert Southwest through winter. Then you all can laugh at me when it's 130 here during the summer.

Enjoy it. Hurricane season will be around soon enough.

CSB - When I was nine years old, I was eating Thanksgiving with my paternal great-grandmother, Louisa. My mother asked if Louisa had evacuated St. Petersburg, FL during the nasty hurricane in the twenties (it made Pinellas County an island the storm surge was so high). My ggm scoffed and said "Heavens no. It's just some wind and some rain. We didn't worry about getting wet back then."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom