The Explosion in Beirut

Pimpernel Smith

It's stupidity and not terrorism ?
It looks the same as Tianjin in China, 2015: ammonium nitrate contaminated and then drawing in oxygen. That was 800 tons, Beirut it's 2750 tons.

It's not without historic precedent either:

That was near the same amount in tonnage. I imagine the final number of deaths will be well over 500.

Fwiffo

Supporter
I just read an article on the weekend most Lebanese were applying for residency and immigration elsewhere (ex: my country) because of the sordid state of their financial situation, government and economy. How they are going to find money to clean up this mess - no idea.

Most of them couldn't flee because of the coronavirus restrictions and pause in immigration. And then you have the million plus refugees from Syria who decided to camp out there.

More pockmarks to adorn the city.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
It looks the same as Tianjin in China, 2015: ammonium nitrate contaminated and then drawing in oxygen. That was 800 tons, Beirut it's 2750 tons.

It's not without historic precedent either:

That was near the same amount in tonnage. I imagine the final number of deaths will be well over 500.
I worked the response to the West, Texas explosion seven years ago. Not sure of the tonnage, but it was pretty nasty.

Last edited:

Rambo

Supporter of Possible Sexual Deviants
Supporter
Very nasty.

They don't seem to have muck luck in that neck of the woods...
well their entire economy is already in shambles and now that their grain silos got blown up they're about to have food shortages.

Top Bottom