The Food Thread

You must think I'm posh. I don't shop at Whole Foods.

I could go to Iranian supermarkets up town but I feel like I'm going to be bamboozled.
I fail to see the difference between being bamboozled at Whole Foods vs the Iranian market.

I fail to see the difference between being bamboozled at Whole Foods vs the Iranian market.

Whole Foods = I knowingly submit myself to be taken advantage of. I'm conscious of it.
Iranian market = I am taken advantage of because I'm ignorant, naïve and I may not be conscious of it.

Whole Foods = I knowingly submit myself to be taken advantage of. I'm conscious of it.
Iranian market = I am taken advantage of because I'm ignorant, naïve and I may not be conscious of it.
Well that's something I suppose

Buy it local. If you are worried about getting ripped off by Iranians buy some Spanish saffron. It is almost as good and it is regulated so if it says Spain it's legit.

Great to cook with....oh yeah, you don't cook.

NVM

Make sure you buy your saffron gift from an Iranian wearing the ubiquitous Arab fit

Buy it local. If you are worried about getting ripped off by Iranians buy some Spanish saffron. It is almost as good and it is regulated so if it says Spain it's legit.

Great to cook with....oh yeah, you don't cook.

Yes I do. I use it to make chicken kebabs and saffron infused rice and tah deeg.

My local grocer sells "American saffron".

There are - I'm just trying to find the real stuff.

How far are you from St. Lawrence Market? Scheffler's deli used to carry all kinds of Saffron. And no "American saffron"

I'll check it out. I'm a 15-20 minute walk from the market.

Just go to the Iranian market; they will have a range of products at every price point -- a diverse experience of bamboozlement.

Plus if you spend enough time there asking for help, you can pick up some Iranian chicks. At the end, everyone is bamboozled and happy.

Plus if you spend enough time there asking for help, you can pick up some Iranian chicks. At the end, everyone is bamboozled and happy.

No, no - stop encouraging me.

I did buy a new mortar and pestle to crush the saffron though.

Mint chocolate chip as much as you may want it, falls into the mid-range, but high quality. A canny scoop. And I know diplomats who eat mint chocolate chip before other ranges. It says you cannot be bought.

Not sure where to put this, but does anyone have a recommendation for an espresso machine? My lady friend was looking for one.

I see cheap is pump. Semi-automatic without grinder. Then automatic. What's the difference between a $600 machine and $1000? I can't get something too industrial size as she said she has space issues in her flat.

Not sure where to put this, but does anyone have a recommendation for an espresso machine? My lady friend was looking for one.

I see cheap is pump. Semi-automatic without grinder. Then automatic. What's the difference between a $600 machine and $1000? I can't get something too industrial size as she said she has space issues in her flat.

Just get her a Nespresso machine.

The ones with the packets or capsules? Quite sure she doesn't want that.

The capsules. They're neat looking, good wide range, the Brazilian and Ethiopian coffees are authentic and they coffee's not to harsh on your stomach. Unless you go full-on six in a morning.

You should have all kinds of Toronto hip shops to sell you whatever you want.

Or just go to the Bay, get the Breville Barista Express on sale for $639 CDN right now. Award winning when it came out in 2013 (Coffee Assocation of America).

Easy to use so she does not have to call you to come and make her a cup.

Made for lazy and entitled urbanites who want their espresso with little hassle.

The capsules. They're neat looking, good wide range, the Brazilian and Ethiopian coffees are authentic and they coffee's not to harsh on your stomach. Unless you go full-on six in a morning.

Why not? Is she a hard core coffee snob?

I don't know. She found a new cafe and likes to get beans grounded up there. She always orders Cortado now. Okay - I may have to ask my brother if no one owns anything more than k cup and nespresso.

I pressed send right when he wrote that. I want to get it from The Bay so she can exchange it if she needs to but Amazon has it for $499.

The other one I saw was DeLonghi but some people moaned about repairs and defects due to shipping whereas no one moaned about Breville.

Or just go to the Bay, get the Breville Barista Express on sale for $639 CDN right now. Award winning when it came out in 2013 (Coffee Assocation of America). Easy to use so she does not have to call you to come and make her a cup.

Cheers - bought it. I have no idea who to operate it so it'll have to be someone else.

Cheers - bought it. I have no idea who to operate it so it'll have to be someone else.

Good man. Operation is pretty simple and it does all the things you want from an auto machine.

Did you get it on Amazon or at the Bay?

Good man. Operation is pretty simple and it does all the things you want from an auto machine.

Did you get it on Amazon or at the Bay?

Amazon - did I do something wrong? I really wanted to get it from The Bay but the price difference is too big. I checked the models look the same.

Now I realized there's a bunch of accessories - cleaning tablets, etc. This thing looks like it will chew up more money to keep it going.

Amazon - did I do something wrong? I really wanted to get it from The Bay but the price difference is too big. I checked the models look the same.

Now I realized there's a bunch of accessories - cleaning tablets, etc. This thing looks like it will chew up more money to keep it going.

No. Just wondered. He price was too good on Amazon to pass up.

Razor and blades. . .

Compared to a capsule-operated machine, though, you'll be just fine with this one.

Starting gremolata for tonight's osso buco.

Got myself a Henckels Pro 8" chef for Christmas this year.
20171224_125120.jpg

If I minced things like that, I'd be losing a few finger tips and need a blood transfusion. Good knife skills.

If I minced things like that, I'd be losing a few finger tips and need a blood transfusion. Good knife skills.

I've got some crazy sharp Japanese stuff, but honestly, a new blade always intimidates me. Managed to keep all my digits though.

I'm the oven and braising now, sipping some Balvenie 17 year.

20171224_145255.jpg
20171224_145258.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom