The Harrington Jacket

Panama

My latest Harrington Jacket arrived courtesy of Private White VC. Made in Ventile cloth, it is 100% cotton in both outer and inner lining.

VENTILEHARRINGTONSAND_ea2c94a5-e639-4ddd-80dc-1e6cb0e22e6c_900x.jpg

20210819_191512.jpg

Panama

My first Harrington was a black Ben Sherman or Fred Perry in the 80's as a teen. In my early thirties I had a Blue Harbour from M&S and in my late thirties a Christian Berg from Peek and Cloppenburg , both long since thrown away or donated. I currently have a Navy blue Lambretta Harrington with a 100% cotton peached outer, it faded quite quickly. I also had a Grenfell, again in peached or brushed cotton. This was passed on last weekend. If Grenfell have a sale, I want to get a Grenfell cloth Harrington instead of the brushed cotton version.

Panama

I think the Baracuta is poor value, especially as it's not 100% cotton. I am not enamoured with artificial fibres.

150812-Baracuta-Daniel-Craig-jacket.jpg

Daniel Craig does look good in his G9.

belinmad

Honestly, I never found the Harrington to be particularly interesting, stylewise. I find it a bit non-descript, perhaps because it has been copied and dumbed-down over and over by mainstream brands to the point of being “just a regular jacket”.

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter
Honestly, I never found the Harrington to be particularly interesting, stylewise. I find it a bit non-descript, perhaps because it has been copied and dumbed-down over and over by mainstream brands to the point of being “just a regular jacket”.
That's kind of the point imo

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter
I think the Baracuta is poor value, especially as it's not 100% cotton. I am not enamoured with artificial fibres.

View attachment 40748

Daniel Craig does look good in his G9.
As I said earlier, I think it is supposed to be a blend. I honestly don't think I've ever seen an all cotton jacket now that I think about it.

formby002

As I said earlier, I think it is supposed to be a blend. I honestly don't think I've ever seen an all cotton jacket now that I think about it.
Weren't the originals made out of Ventile which is 100% cotton but with a special finish applied?

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter
Weren't the originals made out of Ventile which is 100% cotton but with a special finish applied?

The Baracuta rain coats were. I honestly don't know about the G9. You could buy an all Ventile G9 not too long ago, for like twice the price.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Let’s merge this into the main thread:

Panama

Which brands?

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Mine. I pretty much only wear it with jeans. Old Barra Made in Taiwan. Shell= 65% Poly: 35%= Cotton

1629520823520.png

Panama

I would imagine the Harrington Jacket would follow the design of the jacket that was worn by Rodney Harrington which may have been a Baracuta or another heritage brand.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
I would imagine the Harrington Jacket would follow the design of the jacket that was worn by Rodney Harrington which may have been a Baracuta or another heritage brand.
Whether the original design came from Baracuta or Grenfells (still disputed), the design details that make a harry a harry are pretty constant (the two button tab funnel neck collar, Fraser tartan lining, umbrella vent on the back, raglan sleeves, etc.

James Dean wore a red fabric jacket in RWAC, but it wasn’t a Harrington because it missed a lot of these details.

Even John Simmon’s current tweed jacket retains most of the right features:

Panama

Whether the original design came from Baracuta or Grenfells (still disputed), the design details that make a harry a harry are pretty constant (the two button tab funnel neck collar, Fraser tartan lining, umbrella vent on the back, raglan sleeves, etc.

James Dean wore a red fabric jacket in RWAC, but it wasn’t a Harrington because it missed a lot of these details.

Even John Simmon’s current tweed jacket retains most of the right features:

James Dean wore a McGregor Drizzler ...

20210822_053006.jpg

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter

The Rodney Harrington jacket was a Baracuta G9 where the G literally stands for golf jacket.

Journeyman

Supporter
I haven't looked at any Baracuta G9 jackets for quite some time, but I'm pretty sure that they used to have two ranges - one "classic" that was a bit looser-fitting and made of 100% cotton, and another that was slimmer cut and made of a cotton-blend.

Perhaps they've now stopped the 100% cotton entirely, and it's all a blend nowadays?

Panama

The Rodney Harrington jacket was a Baracuta G9 where the G literally stands for golf jacket.
A Cottage pie is pie of minced beef and mashed potato (Golf jacket), if you add cheese on top it becomes a Cumberland pie (Harrington) it is no longer a Cottage pie. Again if you substitute the beef for lamb it becomes a Shepherd's pie (Windcheater). The fact is a change to the original product is a big enough nuance for it to become something else, as the Cumberland pie is clearly a derivative of the Cottage pie.

Panama

Or to paraphrase the well known analogy, all Desert Boots are Chukkas, but not all Chukkas are Desert Boots....

All Harringtons are Golf jackets, but not all Golf jackets are Harringtons.

Richard Wilson is wearing a Golf jacket or Windcheater but not a Harrington.

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter
A Cottage pie is pie of minced beef and mashed potato (Golf jacket), if you add cheese on top it becomes a Cumberland pie (Harrington) it is no longer a Cottage pie. Again if you substitute the beef for lamb it becomes a Shepherd's pie (Windcheater). The fact is a change to the original product is a big enough nuance for it to become something else, as the Cumberland pie is clearly a derivative of the Cottage pie.

I'm not sure metaphor is your strong suit. If you want to go the pie route, it's a Cottage pie straight through Rodney Harrington. You can delve off into the oxtail pies from there if you fancy.

If you really want to be accurate everything after Rodney Harrington is a pensioner jacket.

Or to paraphrase the well known analogy, all Desert Boots are Chukkas, but not all Chukkas are Desert Boots....

All Harringtons are Golf jackets, but not all Golf jackets are Harringtons.

Richard Wilson is wearing a Golf jacket or Windcheater but not a Harrington.

Yeah this doesn't remotely say the same thing as the previous post lol.

Panama

I'm not sure metaphor is your strong suit. If you want to go the pie route, it's a Cottage pie straight through Rodney Harrington. You can delve off into the oxtail pies from there if you fancy.

If you really want to be accurate everything after Rodney Harrington is a pensioner jacket.

Yeah this doesn't remotely say the same thing as the previous post lol.
An analogy....

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
James Dean wore a McGregor Drizzler ...

View attachment 40784
I think the origin of his jacket is highly disputed. Set costume designer Moss Mabry said that he made it himself. Nicholas Ray claimed he got it from a Red Cross worker. Others noted it’s similarity to the McGregor’s Antifreeze jacket that the costume department may have modified.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
I haven't looked at any Baracuta G9 jackets for quite some time, but I'm pretty sure that they used to have two ranges - one "classic" that was a bit looser-fitting and made of 100% cotton, and another that was slimmer cut and made of a cotton-blend.

Perhaps they've now stopped the 100% cotton entirely, and it's all a blend nowadays?
That does ring a bell. I don’t recall the fabric differences but it’s probably right. Before they were bought-out by one of the fashion houses a decade or so ago and their line ‘rationalized’, they had a wide range G’s in both standard and slim fit. Then the range was cut by 70% and prices tripled.

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter
That does ring a bell. I don’t recall the fabric differences but it’s probably right. Before they were bought-out by one of the fashion houses a decade or so ago and their line ‘rationalized’, they had a wide range G’s in both standard and slim fit. Then the range was cut by 70% and prices tripled.

They are owned by Lavori now.

Thruth

Created the finest posts in internet forum history
Supporter
Harringtons predate Ventile cloth. Ventile is not proofed. Etaproof, which is Swiss-made Ventile is proofed.

Top Bottom