The knitwear thread

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Fun fact. Unless it's too severe, caused by heat, you can, often, mostly, not always, stretch wool back.

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Warm water, tepid, not hot, not cold . Gentle wool detergent or hair shampoo. Stretch a bit in water (bath) then lay out flat wet. Do not wring. On towel.
Pull to stretch. Dry slowly over a day or more. Flat on towel. No hot heat

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
yup. temperature, agitation, alkalinity of detergent can all result in the shrinkage. Even agitating by hand too vigorously ion cold water can result in some shrinkage. When you knit wool fabric it undergoes fulling to close up the fabric and make it more dense but softer. It is done by agitating the wool. That's what the shrinking really is. There is always more shrinkage left in it depending on what caused the original shrinkage and how much. looser knits more.
that makes sense, I have had a couple of jumpers shrink very slightly by washing them in cold water by hand. Too much agitation.

Some cashmere jumpers are impossible to shrink. I used hot water on a 6 ply Ballantyne and left it out in the summer sun and repeated this process 4 times and it got bigger. No problems, l send it to perhaps the world's top knitting expert and she is unraveling it and reknitting it in the exact pattern/6ply style. She has shortened it, took it in slightly at the sides and shortened the sleeves and added a loop at the top. It will be worth the wait and all the work done on it imo. She works with the top knitwear and has done this type of work successfully before.

btw, those Berk/Ballantyne 3 ply turtlenecks I bought recently are utterly fabulous!!! Beefy and great quality. The Ballantyne 4 ply's l also bought are amazing....one is an 80's 4 ply intarsia, so rare.

Last edited:

aristoi bcn

Spanish Rookie
It worked, at least now it's wearable. Still a little too tight all over but the length is now ok.

Thanks a lot for the advice.

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
Ballantyne for Berk 3 ply cashmere turtleneck. These are really great.
Ballantyne for Berk 3 ply - royal blue turtleneck.jpg

This ugly Versace shirt has been floating around in ebay for years. The bloke wants almost $3,000 USD for the crazy thing.
Versace 1990 velvet turtleneck.jpg

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
In praise of the heavyweights, my special focus

I am a collector of heavyweights these days, and they are hard to come by too. Trying to find 3 pound fat boys is a tough ask.

I am now lucky enough to own three 3 pound jumpers:
1). William Lockie cashmere 8 gauge 6 ply button neck (thick and heavy)
2). Ballantyne 6 ply shawl cardigan (meaty and heavy)
3). Abercrombie & Fitch turtleneck

I also have heavy arans, but they are not as heavy as those those 3 pound fat boys. Very hard to find 3 pound cashmere jumpers, almost impossible. Any time l see the superheavy weights l pounce on them.

My other thick Ballantyne 4 plys and 6 ply Lockies are also great, but not as heavy as the super heavy weights.

Nothing like a f-a-t boy to brighten up your day during the winter. Got a fat mtm custom aran on today, it's a true rip snorta.

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
Pthh.

Here is something different, a real beauty.

Abercrombie & Fitch 1940's - 1950's made-in-Scotland

This is a fat boy that weighs 3 pounds. HEAVY! Supposed to be 40's or 50's. Wool.

View attachment 32163
I got the heavyweight Abercrombie & Fitch, and l must say it is an absolute monster. Never been worn, excellent condition and bulletproof. It is easily twice the weight of my heavy John Molloy aran. It is the most dense jumper l have ever seen (can't even see any light through it), and thick as they come. All l can say is WOW!

Last edited:

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
Got a beauty today! Something quite rare:

Tom Ford - made in U.K cashmere turtleneck (plum colour).

Look at the same jumper except in a different colour, made-in-U.K

Other Tom Ford jumpers exactly the same as the one l bought: I was eying this one off for weeks.

I've never owned Tom Ford before, so it will be interesting to see how their knitwear is. Seems too cool and modern for England or Scotland, so maybe Wales?? I know Anderson & Sheppard has had some amazing knitwear made from Wales that is really classy.

Last edited:

aristoi bcn

Spanish Rookie
Got a beauty today! Something quite rare:

Tom Ford - made in U.K cashmere turtleneck (plum colour).

Look at the same jumper except in a different colour, made-in-U.K

Other Tom Ford jumpers exactly the same as the one l bought: I was eying this one off for weeks.

I've never owned Tom Ford before, so it will be interesting to see how their knitwear is. Seems too cool and modern for England or Scotland, so maybe Wales?? I know Anderson & Sheppard has had some amazing knitwear made from Wales that is really classy.
Which factory/brand in Wales?

Next Autumn/Winter I will acquire some Lockies. Now that I own several Ballantynes I'd like to compare them both.

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
Which factory/brand in Wales?

Next Autumn/Winter I will acquire some Lockies. Now that I own several Ballantynes I'd like to compare them both.

I am not sure, but what l have just found out right now is that my Tom Ford turtleneck was made in Great Britain.
https://www.tribecafashionhouse.com/products/tom-ford-mens-cashmere-blue-rib-knit-turtleneck-sweater

so then went the search to see who made it. After googling British knitwear brands and searching for a while l came up with this make called Paul James. I'd be willing to bet they are the maker. Look at that collar and rounded shape of the Paul James jumper, and quite chunky - very similar to my Tom Ford. John Smedley and other top British makers don't do knitwear like that. Lets hope my new one is top quality, and l really think it will be....the factory was probably told to make the best stuff. Lets me also say that Kiton cashmere is amazing,as good as anything you could buy these days, and certainly the best ltalian knitwear i've ever seen...why?...because it's chunky and luxurious and tightly knit and hardly pills at all and is solid.

Paul James.......................................................................................................................... Tom Ford

Paul James knitwear.jpg Tom Ford turtleneck blue.jpg

Noob

Is the Scotch House any good? The tag and sweater look pretty old

Last edited:

Noob

A belated thank you!

Bought it used, online. Nice color, nice thick material, good price. There is a small food stain on the front that I'll need to try to remove, but even if I don't, it's a good deal.

Top Bottom