The knitwear thread

Kingstonian

I saw this article. I wonder what the factory shop for Lockie is like.

If you are in the market for cashmere and UK based it might be worth a visit.

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
A treasure?

There is this bloke called Joseph Philip who hand looms his own Scottish knitwear. Check this out!

his prices are really good too:

here is a 5 ply he made himself:
Joseph Phillip knitwear 5 ply.jpg

I wonder if l could order a MTM 12 ply off him. Hmmm.

I just write to him and will let you know what he says. I asked him of he could do a MTM 12 - 14 ply thick densely knitted crewneck jumper and how his quality compared to brands like William Lockie.

Kingstonian

A treasure?

There is this bloke called Joseph Philip who hand looms his own Scottish knitwear. Check this out!

his prices are really good too:

here is a 5 ply he made himself:
View attachment 32927

I wonder if l could order a MTM 12 ply off him. Hmmm.

I just write to him and will let you know what he says. I asked him of he could do a MTM 12 - 14 ply thick densely knitted crewneck jumper and how his quality compared to brands like William Lockie.
Seems very cheap. I assume you would not expect him to do cashmere. As he is 80 years old I would not hassle him either. Maybe stick with a garment he has already made.

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
Seems very cheap. I assume you would not expect him to do cashmere. As he is 80 years old I would not hassle him either. Maybe stick with a garment he has already made.
I was thinking about cashmere but was also having doubts because sourcing good cashmere could be risky. Anyway, he wrote back to me last night and said this:

"thanks for your message. Unfortunately I'm almost 81 and no longer make jumpers as I have retired. This is the last of my stock. I do still plod away with beanies but I no longer have the enough yarn to make big items.
All the best Joe"

Well, it looks like the end of that. All dreams are dashed.

Kingstonian

While you are on here. What about Barrie of Hawick?

They have reasonably priced stuff in House of Bruar catalogue. Not the mega ply garments you seek but they seem to be Scottish based and a decent price.

I will probably visit Hawick some time just for a look around. Cashmere is a bit pricey for me, given the moth danger.

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
While you are on here. What about Barrie of Hawick?

They have reasonably priced stuff in House of Bruar catalogue. Not the mega ply garments you seek but they seem to be Scottish based and a decent price.

I will probably visit Hawick some time just for a look around. Cashmere is a bit pricey for me, given the moth danger.
Is Barrie of Hawick the same as Barrie? If it is then it is probably very good. Much of their stuff goes for well over $1,000 for simple 2 ply cashmere knits. Chanel bought the factory because they wanted to ensure that quality from Scotland was guaranteed for the future.

It makes me wonder who makes Hermes cashmere jumpers now. Maybe Barrie does them.

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
Wasn't that Mcgeorge they bought?
No. Mc George was made in China for a while. Mc George also produced a label for Ballantyne, BUT it would seem that Ballantyne is just a registered name and has nothing to do with Scotland what so ever. Tricks of words to try and trade on a company's old heritage. China is well known for such tricks. Doesn't inspire much confidence in a company when they have to resort to such tricks.
Ballantyne - made in China.jpg

but alas, l find this. Looks like things are looking up for Mc George once again. Who would have ever thought that people would be smart enough to move production from China back to Scotland again. The thing is....Chinese goods often cost so much these days, often many hundred dollars for cashmere jumpers, but they have a label many people loathe (made in China), so why not get some confidence and locate back in Scotland, make a better product and charge hundreds of dollars to beat their competition.

Such a terrible website though, the public are unable to buy directly from them so we basically write them off and never give them another thought. They need to get smarter.
Historic cashmere brand to recommence trading

None-the-less, they are designing collections. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter
That's the article I was referring to. Some fashion brand is propping them up, I thought it was Chanel but most be someone else.

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
That's the article I was referring to. Some fashion brand is propping them up, I thought it was Chanel but most be someone else.
Chanel bought Barrie a while back, but you never know what has happened behind the scenes. Some fashion brand that appreciates quality has probably gone to great efforts to bring them back to Scotland. Who gets their stuff made in Scotland?...it could be Hermes, Chanel, Thom Brown or a few others. They know that made-in-Scotland knitwear is an endangered species and want to keep the skills alive before it all dies out, so they did what Chanel has done. Interesting heh.

Oh look, it could be an Italian fashion company called Fedeli who is a partner with Mc George who has had a hand in them locating back top Scotland. Why? "our main partner Fedeli buys his cashmere yarns in Scotland".

Mc George has some wonderful looking stuff.

Last edited:

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter
Thanks Kingstonian.

FWIW, Johnston's stuff has always been quality in my experience.

Kingstonian

Shooman you might want to investigate the yarn manufacturer.

Todd and Duncan are mentioned in the Barrie descriptions and it seems they are the only surviving Scottish yarn producers.

No. Mc George was made in China for a while. Mc George also produced a label for Ballantyne, BUT it would seem that Ballantyne is just a registered name and has nothing to do with Scotland what so ever. Tricks of words to try and trade on a company's old heritage. China is well known for such tricks. Doesn't inspire much confidence in a company when they have to resort to such tricks.
View attachment 32931

but alas, l find this. Looks like things are looking up for Mc George once again. Who would have ever thought that people would be smart enough to move production from China back to Scotland again. The thing is....Chinese goods often cost so much these days, often many hundred dollars for cashmere jumpers, but they have a label many people loathe (made in China), so why not get some confidence and locate back in Scotland, make a better product and charge hundreds of dollars to beat their competition.

Such a terrible website though, the public are unable to buy directly from them so we basically write them off and never give them another thought. They need to get smarter.
Historic cashmere brand to recommence trading

None-the-less, they are designing collections. :rolleyes:
Shooman, this is excellent news thanks for sharing. I looked at their site and their new pieces look pretty good with some modernized knit pieces as well as some old favorites like the shawl and aran fisherman sweater. I feel Scotland deserves a resurgence, considering the history of the cashmere mills within the area and the quality standard that they created.

I recently acquired a Mc George piece myself which is probably a 3 or 4 ply but unfortunately it is too large for me. I'll probably sell it or gift it to a family member.

berk_mcgeorge_cashmere.jpg

berk_mcgeorge_cashmere_2.jpg

Here is another piece I recently acquired that was made in Scotland for Brooks Brothers. I am not sure if they used their own mill or outsource it to one of the mills there? Perhaps one of you knows about this. It is a full-zip cable knit sweater in at least a 6 ply so I am pretty happy with it. It fits me perfectly and is quite lofty and warm. Considering it has been averaging highs of -1 to 6 degrees Celsius this past week or 30 to 43 degrees Fahrenheit, it's a necessity out here. It already snowed multiple times as well.

brooksbrothers_full_zip_cable_knit.jpg

brooksbrothers_full_zip_cable_knit_2.jpg

brooksbrothers_full_zip_cable_knit_3.jpg

I was thinking about cashmere but was also having doubts because sourcing good cashmere could be risky. Anyway, he wrote back to me last night and said this:

"thanks for your message. Unfortunately I'm almost 81 and no longer make jumpers as I have retired. This is the last of my stock. I do still plod away with beanies but I no longer have the enough yarn to make big items.
All the best Joe"

Well, it looks like the end of that. All dreams are dashed.
Sorry to hear your dreams were dashed, his sweaters look to be of really good quality. I can understand how his age might make it difficult to knit larger items now. I am sure there are some knitters out there who would be happy to knit MTM custom cashmere sweaters in a super thick 12 ply. Do you know where you can buy cashmere yarn in such thick ply, I figure it is pretty rare. I know they sell it here - https://www.purlsoho.com/12-ply-cashmere.html

I figure just purchasing the fabric alone would be quite costly. I think a 12 or 16 ply wool cable knit would be more cost effective for me personally. Have any of you purchased some of the super fat hand knit sweaters sold on Etsy or on other sites?

I found these on Etsy for example: From the shop named TheTiffyMohair
I have a feeling they will probably pill a lot.

tiffymohair_wool_turtleneck_etsy.jpg

tiffymohair_wool_turtleneck_chunky)etsy.jpg

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
Sorry to hear your dreams were dashed, his sweaters look to be of really good quality. I can understand how his age might make it difficult to knit larger items now. I am sure there are some knitters out there who would be happy to knit MTM custom cashmere sweaters in a super thick 12 ply. Do you know where you can buy cashmere yarn in such thick ply, I figure it is pretty rare. I know they sell it here - https://www.purlsoho.com/12-ply-cashmere.html
I haven't given up yet. I plan to network and try to find someone in Scotland who can loom at least a 12 ply.

knitwearaddict said:
Have any of you purchased some of the super fat hand knit sweaters sold on Etsy or on other sites?

I found these on Etsy for example: From the shop named TheTiffyMohair
I have a feeling they will probably pill a lot.

View attachment 32940

View attachment 32941
I have listed various sources of super fat ones in this thread, but l haven't tried any yet. Why? I have concerns about stretching and pilling and general quality issues.

Thanks for posting TheTiffyMohair, l don't think I have heard of that one before.

It is summer in Oz, yet l have been rugging up to the hilt. It has even been snowing in summer.

Top Bottom