The knitwear thread

Just to add, those companies are very secretive where they have there stuff made. When checking online they never mention the country of manufacturer, that is why l revealed the secrets.

It is a good start with Mc George, but better if they increase the quality to highend. The top Italians do it, and hopefully they will to.
In general if they official sell in Italy or other european countries they are required by internal laws to specific wheres made, the composition and everything else must to be on point . But by now, by how its made and how its draped/shaped i can tell whats made in Scotland, Italy and whats made in China...the mess around the crew neck is China written all over it . Some people still believes that China has come very close to what the european makers are doing...its a true and a lie depends on how you spell it...it all depends on what you compare with...best out of China never and is still leagues behind of the best out of Scotland or Italy, and im not even talking about Grade A knit or Grade A+

Any reason why? Other than the obvious that they use Hinchcliffe yarn and are made in Hawick.
from my point of view, is better made especially inside out, the style and fit tend to be for regular and slim fit, the other one on same size is a little bit baggy on our belly, the bottom connection with the vertical threads is better made on Mallochs. Again, that recommendation is if the user like both style and have to chose one of them, because if he likes something from Stanley Biggs , people goes for what they like to wear , how they fit in their life style wardrobe etc
The yarn are comparable, at least pre-pandemic around 4 years ago..

A lovely Sulka shawl collar cardigan on ebay
Not cheap at $1500 for camel hair.. but these are not common for sure

Wow, such a beauty, but a touch too big for me. The issue l have with those Ballantyne 6 ply cardigans is that they stretch a lot; therefore if l pay big $$$$ for a new one, l am going to end up paying $$$ for alterations. Not buying much knitwear this year, l am focused on highend tailoring this year, but may buy a hat or two and a highend pair of shoes. Funny enough, since l have cut back on knitwear, all the best stuff has been available.

New vicuna addition
A darker (true vicuna?) color compared to the other Ballantyne vicuna cardigan I posted photos of recently
Interestingly, the N.Peal label is in 'secondary' position (at the bottom inside the button placket) whereas the Ballantyne vicuna label is in the 'primary' position in the collar.
Also, it is cut slightly shorter than the lighter color one (which is not ideal for me...)
IMG_8142.JPG

IMG_8140.JPG
IMG_8141.JPG
IMG_8143.JPG

And this is a small size cream color shawl collar cardigan that will be used by Mrs Swiss.
Buttons are really ugly I think but that's easy to address.
Would anyone know who the maker is? The fabric tag does not look familiar to me...
IMG_8144.JPG
IMG_8145.JPG
IMG_8146.JPG

New vicuna addition
A darker (true vicuna?) color compared to the other Ballantyne vicuna cardigan I posted photos of recently
Interestingly, the N.Peal label is in 'secondary' position (at the bottom inside the button placket) whereas the Ballantyne vicuna label is in the 'primary' position in the collar.
Also, it is cut slightly shorter than the lighter color one (which is not ideal for me...)
View attachment 46043
View attachment 46048View attachment 46049View attachment 46051

Interesting that they use armpit protectors on these. Yes they put the N Peal before the Ballantyne. They did it with this one too.
Ballantyne vicuna 3.jpg

And this is a small size cream color shawl collar cardigan that will be used by Mrs Swiss.
Buttons are really ugly I think but that's easy to address.
Would anyone know who the maker is? The fabric tag does not look familiar to me...
View attachment 46055View attachment 46056View attachment 46057

I have seen these S Fisher knitwear sometimes, they are old as the hills. Who makes it? Could be it Pringle in the early days? Similar isn't it, when Pringle was still a strong company and when they haven't off shored their shawl collars to Hong Kong. Someone claims this label is from the 1950's, but l can't be sure.

I think l have seen that label before. Pringle label. I think this could be the same label as yours above, but an older one. This is said to be a 1950's Pringle according to a vintage collector. Maybe yours is a 1960's?? Just a guess.
Pringle - made in scotland label 1.jpg

One lady claims hers are 1950's despite title saying 1960's

another lady claims most of hers are also 1950's, and same label l posted comes up posted on a 1950's Pringle (green one).

Last edited:
Interesting that they use armpit protectors on these. Yes they put the N Peal before the Ballantyne. They did it with this one too.
View attachment 46058
I really like these armpit protectors. It is a nice artisanal touch that shows those items were made with the customer and durability in mind.
My other Ballantyne vicuna cardigan has them too. Other than those I had only seen it on some vintage Hermes cardigans.
Regarding the labels, I was surprised at the fact that the one mentioning the retailer (Am I right in thinking N.Peal has only ever been a retailer and not manufacturer?) was not placed in the main sport (collar)

I have seen these S Fisher knitwear sometimes, they are old as the hills. Who makes it? Could be it Pringle in the early days? Similar isn't it, when Pringle was still a strong company and when they haven't off shored their shawl collars to Hong Kong. Someone claims this label is from the 1950's, but l can't be sure.

I think l have seen that label before. Pringle label. I think this could be the same label as yours above, but an older one. This is said to be a 1950's Pringle according to a vintage collector. Maybe yours is a 1960's?? Just a guess.
View attachment 46059

One lady claims hers are 1950's despite title saying 1960's

another lady claims most of hers are also 1950's, and same label l posted comes up posted on a 1950's Pringle (green one).
I think you are most likely right, it must be Pringle. It feels similar in terms of construction to another old Pringle shawl collar I used to have. The cashmere is much less fluffy than than other Pringle though...

This is my lastest Shawl collar cardigan.
It is a NOS cardigan from 70's/80's. It is missing its main label but I believe it to be a J&D McGeorge, because of the construction, weight 3.5 pounds, the horizontal button openings, and the bottom side labels, that replicates the dual labels size-care instructions/selling store on another of my J&D McGeorge shawl collars.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230131-134209_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230131-134209_eBay.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot_20230131-132655_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230131-132655_eBay.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 20230131_165226.jpg
    20230131_165226.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20230131-132652_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230131-132652_eBay.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 49
There this Ballantyne on ebay, I'm posting pics, as I have never seen green cashmere griffin/labels before.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230131-165913_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230131-165913_eBay.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20230131-165904_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230131-165904_eBay.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 42
If anybody is interested, there is this nice listing for a womens cashmere shawl collar cardigan in ebay...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230131-170634_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230131-170634_eBay.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20230131-170621_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230131-170621_eBay.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 40
For those of you who fancy intarsias, there is a listing for this ballantyne model.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230131-173159_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230131-173159_eBay.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 35
This is my lastest Shawl collar cardigan.
It is a NOS cardigan from 70's/80's. It is missing its main label but I believe it to be a J&D McGeorge, because of the construction, weight 3.5 pounds, the horizontal button openings, and the bottom side labels, that replicates the dual labels size-care instructions/selling store on another of my J&D McGeorge shawl collars.
Any thoughts?

That is Mc George writing. Is it really 3.5 pounds?

It had a 90's label. 48 size.
I'm not one for intarsias, but do acknowledge the detail on the cars was magnificent.

Does anyone here wear cotton cardigans or sweaters. I’ve never owned one or understood the appeal, but I see them advertised a lot.

I have an old cotton LL Bean sweater. It's good for roughhousing because you can pretty conveniently wash it without thinking it's going to be ruined.

Does anyone here wear cotton cardigans or sweaters. I’ve never owned one or understood the appeal, but I see them advertised a lot.
When I was younger and had less of a gut I used to live in (cotton) windcheaters - jumpers - or in USA-sian sweaters - sweatshirt

You’ve never owned a sweater made of cotton???

Why would I? Why would anyone want one. Seriously.

When I was younger and had less of a gut I used to live in (cotton) windcheaters - jumpers - or in USA-sian sweaters - sweatshirt

Sure, but a windcheater (sweatshirt in American) is meant to be cotton. I’m talking about jumpers (knitwear or sweaters to the yanks).

I don’t remember any cotton knitwear as a kid in the 70s/80s. My school uniform jumper was pure polyester and anything my mum would get me was wool. I can remember her teaching me to check the label because on cheap stuff they would sometimes try to sneak a little cotton or polyester into the mix to save money.

She did grow up on a sheep farm, so maybe cotton knitwear was a thing back then and I never knew it?

Cotton jumpers/cardis are a thing - always have been - they just aren't wool.

Cotton jumpers/cardis are a thing - always have been - they just aren't wool.
So what’s the appeal, other than being cheaper? Easy care?

I also found a linen cardi - a fabric I associate with summer and trying to stay cool by wearing the most light and minimalist fabric. I don’t get why you would use it to layer for warmth - especially since it is, I assume, kinda scratchy.

I’m still confused about cotton knitwear, but I ordered a cotton cardigan from the UK to understand. Good return policy, so no risk. I’m guessing the sizing is less forgiving without the stretch of wool, but hopefully better for traveling since it is washable.

CE8C0226-64ED-495E-AA04-CDFBE571F038.jpeg

There's a NOS Scott & Charters cashmere Shawl Collar Cardigan on ebay. Size M, it doesn't fit me or else I would've bought it.
Some one really should buy it!
Scott & Charters was bought by Begg several years ago, and under the Begg label, this Shawl cardigans go for ~£1000.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230602-180502_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230602-180502_eBay.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20230602-180510_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230602-180510_eBay.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20230602-180540_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230602-180540_eBay.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20230602-180624_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230602-180624_eBay.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I have a load of Lands End Drifters and similar sweaters. I fell in love with the style in the 80's buying them from the UK brand Blazer.

So what’s the appeal, other than being cheaper? Easy care?

I also found a linen cardi - a fabric I associate with summer and trying to stay cool by wearing the most light and minimalist fabric. I don’t get why you would use it to layer for warmth - especially since it is, I assume, kinda scratchy.
It depends on the weather old chap. They are cool in Spring and Fall. Wool is for Winter.

They are not scratchy they are soft. I always have Supima cotton. I have a load of John Smedley Sea Island cotton sweaters too.
So soft...

It depends on the weather old chap. They are cool in Spring and Fall. Wool is for Winter.

They are not scratchy they are soft. I always have Supima cotton. I have a load of John Smedley Sea Island cotton sweaters too.
So soft...

I ended up getting a Paul James cotton cardigan, but haven’t had a chance to try it out yet.

Dearly-Departed pimpy used to swear by cotton jumpers. We had a few conversations about it.

Off I told him simply: cotton sucks for jumpers. They bag and lose their shape very quickly, not particularly nice to wear, not flattering. He disagreed and obviously saw some merit in them.

Linen or Linen-Cotton blend even as a shoulder-season sweater if one wishes. Save your cotton for shirts - for the trunkal part of your body. Oh, cotton tie sucks too.

There's a NOS Scott & Charters cashmere Shawl Collar Cardigan on ebay. Size M, it doesn't fit me or else I would've bought it.
Some one really should buy it!
Scott & Charters was bought by Begg several years ago, and under the Begg label, this Shawl cardigans go for ~£1000.

How much was this selling for?

I notice that Ballantyne is still for sale. Originally was for sale at $1,800 + for second hand. Was tempted to buy it for $970 on sale, but said to myself "must not support this buyer". Now it is back over $1,300. His markups are too much, so l avoid him like the plague. I bought an excellent 10 ply Malo back when he started selling for a decent price, but soon after he started selling similar 4 ply Malo for over $500. His prices have gotten higher and higher. I do understand his mindset though - he gets rare items that are truly outstanding, but the point is, in Australia l am still paying $$$$ for second hand. That Ballantyne would be about $2,000 if l bought it now, or almost $3,000 if l bought it a few months ago, and yet has repairs done to it and second hand. Like l said, his prices are on the high side. His Ballantyne turtlenecks are $280, yet only a few years ago they could be scored on ebay for as low as $50. The prices have gone way up on ebay, probably due to me and that bloke. Soon as l started raving about the Scottish knitwear this thread went global and prices rose quickly, especially with Ballantyne. Same went with those vintage shoo guys; they all got excited, raved about them, bought them all (exhausted the supply), and now vintage pairs can be in the $$$$. Hardly any Ballantyne gets listed anymore, l think l and some others here bought them all.

Got my Ballantyne 1980's turtleneck on today in forest green. It was NOS and is one of the greatest cashmere purchases l ever made.

Last edited:
Seller was asking $499, and took a best offer. So my guess ~$400.
A great deal as this is a NOS 6 ply cashmere cardigan from one of the better makers.
My guess, this is early 2000.
The listing did not last more than 12hrs!

^^^
would have been worth it, new too.
Have a Scott & Charters in wool, it is nothing compared to the Ballantyne shawl cardigan or the old McGeorge.

Well, what Shawl Cardigans compare to old Ballantynes?
You may compare it to new Lockies, and even those are 4 ply, against this S&C 6 ply.
This vintage Scott and Charters blow all the new Colhays, Campbell's, revived Mc George, Ralph Lauren et al...
Was a very nice Shawl Cardigan, to bad about the size.

I have been really busy for quite a while so I have not posted any photos. It is also because I have not made any particularly significant acquisition.
One exception is this staple Hermes vneck with the armpit reinforcement that are some knid of grail for me.
It is a perfect fit so it will be a pleasure to wear in a few months

Attachments

• IMG_8455[1].JPG
    IMG_8455[1].JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_8456[1].JPG
    IMG_8456[1].JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_8457[1].JPG
    IMG_8457[1].JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 39
Here is another Ballantyne made in Inner Mongolia garment. I wonder when Ballantyne had them made there and if some are still made there. It is interesting how Ballantyne never talk about this: they always talk about Scotland, the Queen, Italy and luxury, but they never talk about cheap offshore labour. Hmmm.

They also use the Heritage label for their made in Italy, Scotland and Inner Mongolia wears.
Ballantyne - Made in Mongolia 3.jpg
Ballantyne - Made in Mongolia 4.jpg

If they pay for cheap Mongolia labour i'd be willing to bet they pay those poor Italians cheap wages too. When l ask them questions they never respond. It's like...`just be quiet, pay $1,000 for our jumpers and don't ask questions, we have yachts to pay off so we need dumb consumers'. And it is true....who remembers the luxury of old? Many of those are dead now. Globalisation wrecked the place 40 years ago, so few remember the glory days. The companies know this, and they can con the consumer easily. Use a brand name, pay people crumbs to make it, charge high markups, act like creeps and get rich off clueless people who will buy it.

I am going to expose some big secrets soon, but not in the knitwear thread.

Ballantyne also sell sneakers and all types of things now, but where are these things really made? Are the made-in-Italy jumpers really made in offshore sweatshops and then finished in Italy to get the Made-in-Italy stamp?? With these type of snakey companies you can never be quite sure. See, it is a big mishmash of everything now, and l bet it is all cheaply made in fast mass production. This is the type of thing companies try to have consumers buy into now, because they know most know no better.

See the polo...designed for someone with a horses head (a huge collar that hangs so low it sits on the top of his chest) and armholes probably big enough to fit someone's legs. Typical sweatshop labour garments, poorly cut. But no matter, most people know no better.

Late edit: hang on, they show where the polo is made, Inner Mongolia. Points for being honest at least, but no points for anything else. It's o,k if the quality is good and they are paying people a fair wage, but is it?...I doubt it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom