The knitwear thread

me = "it's rude (rood) stuff mums and dads do when they wanna have babies. I'll tell you when you turn 18. :omg:

Shoo, in this day and age you might need to adjust your timeline. By the time they are 18 they will have long figured it out!

Shoo, in this day and age you might need to adjust your timeline. By the time they are 18 they will have long figured it out!

yeah, all the kids know stuff these days. The innocence has long gone.

I'd love to be able to tell daughters: "look, i'll tell you about the birds and bees when you turn 21", but sadly those days have long gone. They all know what goes on.

The chinese never used to know about sex, but these days they'd all know. The internet has destroyed their innocence.

Bought a Ballantyne burgundy cashmere v neck jumper. Said to be in great condition. 1980's. Ballantyne burgundy cashmere v neck.jpg

Can you please report on this one when you get it? This is the type of purchase that I would be scared to buy because of the condition.

I'd be more scared of the dead grandpa's ghost from whose grave this was stolen. Lads, ditch the stuff smelling of some old guy's farts and treat yourself to some fine ass Brunello.

I'd be more scared of the dead grandpa's ghost from whose grave this was stolen. Lads, ditch the stuff smelling of some old guy's farts and treat yourself to some fine ass Brunello.
Mmmm,

Whilst I agree with your point about scouring flea-bay for moth eaten old cashmere shit, after visiting the Brunello site I can't agree with your recommendation. I mean, £6 ton for a pair of leather trainers that only a Zoolander-like-Milan-catwalk-strutting-ponce would wear is pushing it waaaaaaaaaaaaay to far.

IMO Cashmere is overrated anyway, leave for the laydeeeeez.

I'll say it again - I haven't felt any modern cashmere that actually felt nice. Maybe I haven't got the right brands, but any old vintage cashmere - regardless of brand - feels nice.

Mmmm,

Whilst I agree with your point about scouring flea-bay for moth eaten old cashmere shit, after visiting the Brunello site I can't agree with your recommendation. I mean, £6 ton for a pair of leather trainers that only a Zoolander-like-Milan-catwalk-strutting-ponce would wear is pushing it waaaaaaaaaaaaay to far.

I think the main benefit of cashmere is its warmth in relation to its weight, which is especially true for coats and jackets needed for places colder than the UK.

But, yes. For pullovers it's only the girlymen who covet it; at least, that's how it appears to be.

Can you please report on this one when you get it? This is the type of purchase that I would be scared to buy because of the condition.

What do you mean by condition?
nah, I have bought numerous Brunello Cucinelli new and none of ti compares to the vintage cashmere. The old Scottish cashmere is so special where-as none of the modern stuff is except for maybe Hermes made-in-Scotland (Barrie).

No substitute for cashmere. Cashmere and tweeds = the greatest fabrics of all, and both very Scottish.

I see the vintage scottish cashmere in very romantic terms. It was an old Scottish cashmere club few were part of, and l wanted to be part of that world when men wore the best cashmere jumpers in existence that the modern world no longer knows about. But even that doesn't describe my real feelings; like l said, it is a romantic love of Scotland and the old world of cashmere that men and women moved in....it is a love of the cold gloomy old days of Scotland and the homely comfort of cashmere, and it's representation of when man was more simple and family orientated etc etc. The Italian cashmere jumpers doesn't give those warm romantic feelings.

Every piece of vintage scottish cashmere amazes me. Every piece l see wows me.

Last edited:
what has this got to do with cats. Wrong thread.
I think the main benefit of cashmere is its warmth in relation to its weight, which is especially true for coats and jackets needed for places colder than the UK.

But, yes. For pullovers it's only the girlymen who covet it; at least, that's how it appears to be.
No Sammy, you have got it wrong too. Cashmere is about the warmth, the special look and the comfort. Who wants hard wool when you can have cashmere, it is worlds apart and definitely a luxury fiber.

Buying the vintage cashmere is the best thing l ever did. All you do is wash it and it is like new. I've had good cashmere free of holes. I like getting a cashmere you can't get anymore, ie, the golden era of cashmere. And no, l don't see dead mans skin or old mans f*rts.

Last edited:
what has this got to do with cats. Wrong thread.

No Sammy, you have got it wrong too. Cashmere is about the warmth, the special look and the comfort. Who wants hard wool when you can have cashmere, it is worlds apart and definitely a luxury fiber.

Buying the vintage cashmere is the best thing l ever did. All you do is wash it and it is like new. I've had good cashmere free of holes. I like getting a cashmere you can't get anymore, ie, the golden era of cashmere. And no, l don't see dead mans skin or old mans f*rts.
Shooey: You haven't needed to be warm since your spirit escaped hanging for stealing sox off the market stall in England and ended up in Oz on Invasion Day.

That's why you're always cold shooey! You're feeling the breaths of dead grandpa ghosts down your neck. They're coming for you, shooey! Now that Trump's gone, the forces of darkness can roam freely again. Biden and the Catholic Church sent hem to harvest your soul to serve as a slave till judgement day and then it will be destroyed. They know you're strong and that heathen protestant Scottish cashmere protects you but THEY WANT YOU!!! No more sleep from now on and only Scotish cashmere at all times! They can't do it all at one so they take it piece by piece, that's also why Voldemort broke his soul into parts. It wasn't just a book shooey!!! It's a propehcy!!! You can learn his power!!! Just hurry, hurry, hurry!!! It's not too late!!

Everyone hating on the king! Just excuses for being too poor. At least shooey now knows why it's not working for him. Brunello's in with the Catholics to get him so that Umbrian magic doesn't work for him.

They're looking fo you, shooey!!! The white Angel and the dark reapers!!! All in corduroy and cashmere!!! They'll destroy you like they destroyed Scottish cashmere!!!
NORCIA-foto-i-Monaci-Benedettini-di-Norcia-Brunello-Cucinelli-e-Nicola-Alemanno-Sindaco-di-Norcia.jpg

That's why you're always cold shooey! You're feeling the breaths of dead grandpa ghosts down your neck. They're coming for you, shooey! Now that Trump's gone, the forces of darkness can roam freely again. Biden and the Catholic Church sent hem to harvest your soul to serve as a slave till judgement day and then it will be destroyed. They know you're strong and that heathen protestant Scottish cashmere protects you but THEY WANT YOU!!! No more sleep from now on and only Scotish cashmere at all times! They can't do it all at one so they take it piece by piece, that's also why Voldemort broke his soul into parts. It wasn't just a book shooey!!! It's a propehcy!!! You can learn his power!!! Just hurry, hurry, hurry!!! It's not too late!!

Everyone hating on the king! Just excuses for being too poor. At least shooey now knows why it's not working for him. Brunello's in with the Catholics to get him so that Umbrian magic doesn't work for him.

They're looking fo you, shooey!!! The white Angel and the dark reapers!!! All in corduroy and cashmere!!! They'll destroy you like they destroyed Scottish cashmere!!!
NORCIA-foto-i-Monaci-Benedettini-di-Norcia-Brunello-Cucinelli-e-Nicola-Alemanno-Sindaco-di-Norcia.jpg

Chuckles...

The actual condition of the jumper. It is 40 years old. Unless it has been placed inside of a wardrobe unused for a long period of time it can't be in good condition.

Most of them look new after 40 years, no jokes. None of my Brunello Cucinelli or Loro Piana holds up near as well as the old stuff from Scotland.

Wow, what a memorable post.

Even my tailor is stunned that l like 17 oz fabrics (very few people wear them), but now he is floored that l want 22 oz tweeds (both trousers and coat). I think nothing of having an enclosed log fire on while l am wearing 18 oz tweed trousers. 18 oz tweed trousers don't even feel heavy enough. When it comes to corduroy, l told him l want 22 oz and up for my trousers.

Most of them look new after 40 years, no jokes. None of my Brunello Cucinelli or Loro Piana holds up near as well as the old stuff from Scotland.

Wow, what a memorable post.

Even my tailor is stunned that l like 17 oz fabrics (very few people wear them), but now he is floored that l want 22 oz tweeds (both trousers and coat). I think nothing of having an enclosed log fire on while l am wearing 18 oz tweed trousers. 18 oz tweed trousers don't even feel heavy enough. When it comes to corduroy, l told him l want 22 oz and up for my trousers.
Do you actually wear that intarsia shit, or do you just stroke it?

The reason I ask is because that last time I saw someone wearing stuff like that they were getting out of a Range Rover in Sloane Sq (London) and wearing an Alice band.

The reason I ask is because that last time I saw someone wearing stuff like that they were getting out of a Range Rover in Sloane Sq (London) and wearing an Alice band.
Ronnie Corbett wore intarsia. It was part of his image. He lived in a house that backed on to The Addington golf course. Very funny man too.

1612021803370.gif

OK you mean pictures then. I think of intarsia as the type of patterns Ronnie wears.
Well, technically, its probably both. But when someone mentions intarsia to me I naturally think of more complex patterns than diamonds which I always refer to as Argyle.

With regards to those Jumpers with pictures on them that Shooey posted, whilst I appreciate the skill involved, aesthetically, I find them ghastly, especially when worn by men. Women however, can get away with this kind of thing and look cute.

I also find the practice of sniffing around flea-bay for second hand kit a bit....

Been wearing my intarsias a lot in recent weeks. Had this on last night with a shirt. Thick and plush, and l love it. By Corgi.

Most of my cashmere is stored away, but l still have two complex intarsia out along with two skivvies.
Corgi cashmere intarsia 1.jpg

I have also been wearing this a lot with a pink shirt at night:

Ballantyne intarsia - polo design 5.jpg

In the last few weeks the internet had had numerous high quality cashmere intarsia for sale after a dry spell of several months. Here are some others recently for sale.

John Laing intarsia.jpg Corgi intarsia.jpg

This John Laing argyle also caught my eye yesterday: he makes some of the nicest ones.
John Laing argyle.jpg

Last edited:
Well, technically, its probably both. But when someone mentions intarsia to me I naturally think of more complex patterns than diamonds which I always refer to as Argyle.

With regards to those Jumpers with pictures on them that Shooey posted, whilst I appreciate the skill involved, aesthetically, I find them ghastly, especially when worn by men. Women however, can get away with this kind of thing and look cute.

I also find the practice of sniffing around flea-bay for second hand kit a bit....
Most intarsias are made for women and look cute on a woman, but intarsias have to be worn right if a man wears them, and it is a lot more limited for men. Men can't wear animals, but he can wear polo intarsias and golf ones...that's about it.

I wouldn't wear an intarsia going in to the city, but l would wear it in my local area to do messages or at home or some other low key event. It all has it's place.

I'm referring to the intarsia in Shooey's haul.

Argyle is fine, in the right colours.

Yes, finding the right type of argyle is key. I have found some great ones over the years, but there are many bad ones out there.

Two more Ballantyne intarsia just listed here:

(not my style)
Ballantyne intarsia 5.jpg

and would look nice on your girl:
Ballantyne intarsia 6.jpg

but the best of them all are that dog one by Ballantyne (see below), you never see that type of skilled intarsia. The price was reduced lately too; l am stunned no woman has bought it.

The one of Fred Astaire owned by Rjman is also one of the better ones made by a highly skilled maker, but doesn't compare to that dog one:

Attachments

• Ballantyne intarsia 4.jpg
    Ballantyne intarsia 4.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Ballantyne intarsia 3.jpg
    Ballantyne intarsia 3.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Ballantyne intarsia 1.jpg
    Ballantyne intarsia 1.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 113
  • Ballantyne Intarisa Fred Estaire.jpg
    Ballantyne Intarisa Fred Estaire.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

I've never bought any clothes on evil-bay. A few years ago though, my daughter bought me a green handled Bullworker after I'd been talking to her hubby about them. Don't laugh. They work. Ask Dave Prowse.

Ah, I can smell it through the screen, cold sweat, remnants of Old Spice and long dried wet farts. The distinct scent of the great vintage cashmere world. The thrill of the chase, working you way though the depths of eBay hunting for the last remnants of a lost and long fogotton era. Armed with nothing but a laptop and an ever itching trigger finger scamming the screen for the legendary "Buy it now!"-button. Our forefathers fought on the banks of the Rhine and on the beaches of Normandy. We fight ourselves in the battles for one last piece of a better age, that final piece of vinrage Ballantyne. O tempora, o mores! What a time to be alive!

Most intarsias are made for women and look cute on a woman, but intarsias have to be worn right if a man wears them, and it is a lot more limited for men. Men can't wear animals, but he can wear polo intarsias and golf ones...that's about it.

I wouldn't wear an intarsia going in to the city, but l would wear it in my local area to do messages or at home or some other low key event. It all has it's place.

Yes, finding the right type of argyle is key. I have found some great ones over the years, but there are many bad ones out there.

Two more Ballantyne intarsia just listed here:

(not my style)
View attachment 36165

and would look nice on your girl:
View attachment 36166

but the best of them all are that dog one by Ballantyne (see below), you never see that type of skilled intarsia. The price was reduced lately too; l am stunned no woman has bought it.

The one of Fred Astaire owned by Rjman is also one of the better ones made by a highly skilled maker, but doesn't compare to that dog one:
Shooey, dearheart. Make me a promise (cross your heart and hope to die and all that jazz) that you never, and I MEAN NEVER EVER wear ANY (wth the possible exception of the Laing Argyle even though its too bright for my taste) of those jumpers in those two posts above.

NEVER EVER!!!!!

Most intarsias are made for women and look cute on a woman, but intarsias have to be worn right if a man wears them, and it is a lot more limited for men.

The Shooman The Shooman - I saw this intarsia jumper while looking at knitwear today, and thought of you:

(Edited to add: Oops - just noticed that it's cotton, rather than wool.)

19-01-2021_BB_MF21-KW-064-CRM_1_1.jpg

19-01-2021_BB_MF21-KW-064-CRM_3_1.jpg

That is the problem these days, too many intarsia made from cotton. Hathaway sells many of these golf intarsia made in cotton, and even Pringle did cotton intarsia from Hong Kong.

Another recent trend has been Ballantyne cashmere intarsia being made in the hundreds in all types of designs in Italy, but not made in the old ways of hand knitting painstakingly one at a time. They are all mass produced now. Thankfully l have one of the Ballantyne originals.

Picked up a Big Daddy today, check him out!

A 1960's McGeorge shetland shawl cardigan.

A true beauty from the original owner. It was too hot for him so he stopped wearing it. Looks to be as fat as the 12 ply boys. All l need now is thick dark brown cords to go with it.
Mc George shawl cardigan 2.jpg

Attachments

• Mc George shawl cardigan 1.jpg
    Mc George shawl cardigan 1.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 109
  • Mc George shawl cardigan 3.jpg
    Mc George shawl cardigan 3.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 91
Picked up a Big Daddy today, check him out!

A 1960's McGeorge shetland shawl cardigan.

A true beauty from the original owner. It was too hot for him so he stopped wearing it. Looks to be as fat as the 12 ply boys. All l need now is thick dark brown cords to go with it.
View attachment 36248
Gorgeous
Especially in the cold snowy days we are going through these days here

Shooey wears this over a cashmere turtleneck when it's 25c on a cold Australian summer's night. All this money would probably be better spend towards seeing a doctor about your unnatural body temperature issues. The fact that he can't smell anything should also raise some concern. Maybe some post-covid symptoms, but then again he probably doesn't believe in this.

Shooey wears this over a cashmere turtleneck when it's 25c on a cold Australian summer's night. All this money would probably be better spend towards seeing a doctor about your unnatural body temperature issues. The fact that he can't smell anything should also raise some concern. Maybe some post-covid symptoms, but then again he probably doesn't believe in this.

Yep, my thinking is world's apart from the conventional western thinking when it comes to covid and medicine. I see things from a very traditional eastern point of view when it comes to disease and treatments. Masks and vaccines and medical doctors are things stemming from western ideologies, but from a traditional eastern point of view those treatments treat the surface part that you can see, it doesn't treat the underlying causes underneath the surface. Covid is a symptom of issues that are much bigger than mere illness.

Yep, my thinking is world's apart from the conventional western thinking when it comes to covid and medicine. I see things from a very traditional eastern point of view when it comes to disease and treatments. Masks and vaccines and medical doctors are things stemming from western ideologies, but from a traditional eastern point of view those treatments treat the surface part that you can see, it doesn't treat the underlying causes underneath the surface. Covid is a symptom of issues that are much bigger than mere illness.

OK, Doc. So what’s the best way to avoid dying in a pandemic in a traditional eastern point of view?

OK, Doc. So what’s the best way to avoid dying in a pandemic in a traditional eastern point of view?

I am not a medical doctor, please don't associate me with those types of western titles.

Reduce your karma is a good start. The great cleansing is here, and it will get much worse. This happens every 4,000 - 5,000 years during the dharma ending period when cultures get wiped out and things start anew again. People with vast levels of karma build-up over many lifetimes will be effected, this is why some kids have died of covid. Karma build-up makes people vulnerable to symptoms of illness.

Masks and vaccines can put a dent in things for a while, but it is not going to stop what needs to play out for the renewal. Eventually the system will become overwhelmed and the Gods will start a new with a new mankind. We are at this time right now.

I just advise people to be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom