The Movie Preview, Review, & Recommendation Thread pt. II

Arnathor

The Hamiltonian Hung Like a Horse
Supporter
Have not seen it. Isn’t that Mel Gibson?

The original Red Dawn is a classic. I must have watched it a hundred times as a kid.
Yes, I'm a sucker for the wardrobe.

I will watch Red Dawn.

Watched Hitchcock's Marnie, loved it.

Pimpernel Smith

Currently rereading Alan Sillitoe's Saturday Night Sunday Morning and I wanted to watch the film which I haven't seen since 1986/87 when we had the Angry Young Men as part of our O Level English syllabus. Haven't been able to find the full film on Youtube, but I've got the opening with the monologue which is classic of it's kind:

ter1413

Witness Protection Program
the-woman-in-the-window-wide.jpeg

I-Am-All-Girls-Netflix-Review.jpg

Started both of these over the wknd. Didn't finish either....yet.

-The Woman in the Window is a LIGHT take on the Hitchcock classic, Rear Window. Basically(from the 20-30 min that I caught), a woman sees what she believes is a murder in the townhouse across from hers.

That's all I got! I fell asleep at that point, but the reviews really roast the flick. I will try to get through it over the long wknd.

-I am All Girls focuses on the trafficking on young girls and follows a detective as she realizes that a serial killer is targeting those doing the trafficking.

This has potential. I also fell asleep while watching this after a long day. I will revisit this before TWITW.

Rambo

Supporter of Possible Sexual Deviants
Supporter
Army of the dead on Netflix - Zach Snyder is a terrible director. This movie is all over the place and the story really makes no coherent sense. Would pass on this one unless you’re a hardcore fan of the genre.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Army of the dead on Netflix - Zach Snyder is a terrible director. This movie is all over the place and the story really makes no coherent sense. Would pass on this one unless you’re a hardcore fan of the genre.

Awful film but I am slogging my way through it for Sweetbitter girl (who should not be doing action or comedy films, based on this).

Arnathor

Supporter
Thank you for the warning. Is there any decent zombie film made in the last decade?

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Thank you for the warning. Is there any decent zombie film made in the last decade?

Black Summer the TV series is good. Dead Set, another series, wasn’t bad.

As far as movies, the remake of Dawn of the Dead and 30 Days After set the bar pretty high. I can’t think of anything that’s topped them since.

Edit: I Am Legend was ok, for a remake.

Last edited:

Arnathor

Supporter
https://www.goldderby.com/feature/l...-series-premiere-date-photos-cast-1204262054/

Does anyone else care or feel excited for the Silmarillion series? The second age in the books has some very interesting events including the Founding, Rise and Fall of Numenor, the forging of the Rings of power and is the time period where Sauron really shines and does some of his best and most devious work.

I am keenly interested to see if they will incorporate some of the stories from the first age because it is my favourite section of the all books. I've said in the past that if they just told the stories verbatim it would be perfect and hopefully they will restrain themselves from adding the phoney Elf meets Dwarf love story stuff that we saw in the later Hobbit movies.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Things Seem and Heard. Starts as a predicable formula with young couple moving into haunted house and then takes a turn. The husband is a bastard and the ghosts are trying to save the wife. The lovely Amanda Seyfried. Weak ending. 7/10

Starry Eyes. Slow burn indie horror. Watching this now and haven’t finished, but it definitely has my attention. EDIT: did not end well.

Last edited:

formby002

Currently rereading Alan Sillitoe's Saturday Night Sunday Morning and I wanted to watch the film which I haven't seen since 1986/87 when we had the Angry Young Men as part of our O Level English syllabus. Haven't been able to find the full film on Youtube, but I've got the opening with the monologue which is classic of it's kind:

LOL, Cleaning your hands in cutting fluid.

Fwiffo

Supporter
I watched Extraction.

I will forever have a weak spot for this type of woman.

Last edited:

ter1413

Witness Protection Program
p14217_p_v10_aa.jpg

I always got this confused with Taps....but after starting it last night...I realized that I never caught it.

Based in the 1950's, a standout quarterback(Brendan Fraser) from a small town gets recruited to attend a top flight prep school. His sights area set on Harvard after he finishes out the year.

He forms a tight bond with the other popular students and his roommate. All is AOK!

He then starts to fall for the "girl" of one of his crew(Matt Damon). She also falls for him. That crew member was supposed to play quarterback, but has lost that spot and his "girl". Big deal, right?

Nope....see...Brendan Fraser is Jewish...a BIG no-no at the school and during those times! After Matt Damon accidentally finds out that secret, he exposes BF and most everyone turns on him.

What happens next is a display of how someone is looked at based on their color/faith/sexual preference/etc. The way that this film captures that still existing element of society is why it is definitely worth a watch!

4/5.

Top Bottom