The Official Roycru Fan Thread

E

ElioDA

Roycru of SF fame has gained more than a few fans thanks to the consistent quality of both his dressing style as well as of his dry comical writings.
This thread is an attempt to collect the best of Roycru's brilliant SF posts. Starting off with his posts from last week and working backwards. Here we go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roycru

Thanks again to everyone who takes the time and trouble to post pictures of themselves and also thanks always to everyone who likes my pictures. Mcobinad didn't mention which country where it is summer he is going to. Mcobinad, if you're coming to Los Angeles, please let me know and we can have lunch and then go up on Louis Vuitton's roof. and you can see that it's perfectly safe up there and I'll take your picture with the "Hollywood" sign in the background.

There have recently been some posts about hats. Today I went into a hat store near the seashore (Goorin Brothers, on Santa Monica Blvd between 3rd Street and 4th Street in Santa Monica) and tried on a hat. I think that we all agree that it's ok to wear a hat indoors at a hat store. For those who can't figure out how to take pictures except with a cell phone in a mirror, I asked one of the ladies who worked in the hat store to take this picture.

All Brooks Brothers except Bass white bucs and a Goorin Brothers hat. As I was by the seashore, I followed the fashion set by Kaiser Wilhelm II when he wore his admirals uniform to the aquarium and I wore a jacket with real mother of pearl buttons.

Sometimes people pop up out of the marquetry (usually people who never post pictures) and ask bizarre questions like, "Did you see the sea while you were at the seashore?" Yes, I saw the sea while I was at the seashore. You can also see the sea behind me........

....you can also see the Santa Monica Pier, typical warm summer Saturday beach crowds on the beach (the water is usually about the same temperature as the water Titanic sunk in), and that the cold damp breeze from the sea is blowing my hair around. You can also see that I didn't buy the hat.

Quote:

Adventures on the 8400 blocks of Melrose Place and Melrose Avenue......

When we are on Melrose Place, we usually eat at Fig & Olive. We went there again today. I always have Provence Roasted Chicken and my friend always has one of the fish things, Today she had Salad Riviera. The bread comes with three types of olive oil, on the off chance that someone wants to put olive oil on their bread and then hopes that it doesn't drip onto them.

The wine list has almost entirely French wines, so since I couldn't do my patriotic duty and order California champagne, we had Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label. We were having so much fun with our champagne (although not as much fun as we have with California champagne) that I forgot to take a picture of our food before we had started eating it, so you get more food than in this picture........

There is a shoe store, The Left Shoe Company, on the 8400 block of Melrose Avenue that makes made to measure shoes using a computer to measure your feet. You put on socks with a pattern like graph paper for the computer to measure your feet. I am standing next to the thing that you stand on to get your feet measured. There are thousands of options and hundreds of shoes on display. I am thinking about getting a pair of tweed and suede Spectator shoes made.

There are several mens stores on Melrose Avenue and Melrose Place such as Diesel and Marc Jacobs, but most of the stores are ladies stores. Since we usually go out for lunch rather than for dinner, all of the stores are open wherever we go, and we look around to see what's happening.

Just before Valentine's Day, we got invited to a pre-Valentine fashion show at Kiki De Montparnasse, a ladies underwear store on the 8400 block of Melrose Place. (There are several ladies underwear stores in the area.) I posted a picture from the fashion show in the Classic Menswear WAYWT thread. Since some of you may only look at the Streetwear And Denim posts, here's the picture that I posted over in Classic Menswear.......

Melrose Place and Melrose Avenue are interesting places to go for lunch with someone who likes looking at clothing (there is also DASH, the store owned by the Kardassians for people who like the Kardassians) and for extra amusement, you can try to figure out who all the paparazzi are trying to take pictures of.

Quote:

As there recently was a request for no more pizza pictures, here's a Provence Roasted Chicken and Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label picture taken at Fig & Olive on the corner of Melrose Place and La Cienega.....

...and for those who might be wondering if I was wearing trousers, here's a picture with my favorite relay box, on the corner of Melrose Place and Melrose Avenue.

Napps ivory silk half-lined three button sack coat with welted edges, patch pockets and a hook vent (just about as Ivy as Ivy can be), Brooks Brothers tie and PPBD shirt, Jim Thompson red silk pocket square with elephants (yes, I'm one of them), Trafalgar blue and red surcingle belt, Polo Ralph Lauren Madras trousers with my Hamilton 992B pocket watch in the watch pocket, Rugby Ralph Lauren red, white, and blue socks, and Bass white bucs with blue shoe laces.

Quote:

I recently went to my Class Of '65 50th Reunion. One of the boys I was at school with shared a picture that he took on the front lawn during lunch sometime in the 1964-1965 school year. I was probably somewhere off to the right of the picture, in the English Patio talking to a girl. The person wearing the grey suit with his hands in his pocket is the Dean Of Boys who was always sure that we were all up to no good and is questioning a likely suspect (since we all were all likely suspects)........

......at our 50th Reunion the Boy's Room was decorated with pictures of the Dean Of Boys (and I heard that the Girl's Room was decorated with pictures of the Dean Of Girls, whose favorite activity was coming up behind girls, yelling "Drop" and if, when the girl kneeled on the floor her skirt didn't touch the ground, she was sent home to change her skirt).

I am wearing an orange and white tie, our old school colors (changed to orange and black, like Halloween, many years after we graduated).

(I hope the links to the original posts on SF still work, because in his writings he often makes witty comments on current discussions.
Edit: they don't work anymore... styleforum.net gets replaced by dressedwell.net. Is there any way to edit the source code of posts directly?)

What do you mean?

After "Originally posted by Roycru" should be a link to the post on SF. The URL looks to be still intact, but instead of styleforum.net it links to dressedwell.net.

After "Originally posted by Roycru" should be a link to the post on SF. The URL looks to be still intact, but instead of styleforum.net it links to dressedwell.net.
Ah I see. I don't think it copied over properly. That's the forum expressing a dead link. I can't edit that since its code and not text. Truly reinserting a post link.

seeing him makes me wonder if I'll be able to avoid rampant alcoholism in retirement.

If i'd try
I'd write dtories maybe half as interrsting

Didnt sleep for 26 hrs
Drank a lot
Good night

But before i'll smoke a toscanello

I take from your so nice answer that the night didn't go well... all those bears so picky and choosy.

please stop the attacks inside the roycru thread
please

he has no work
like 95% of spain

so please leave the aggression outside

Despite my opinion that his stiff is all too baggy even for old-school trad, I do adore the way he just wears ancient clothes eternally. Anyway, this interview with him is otherworldly.
Interview with Roycru | Keikari.com Interview with Roycru | On classic men's style, elegance and the beautiful life.
VR: How have you gathered your knowledge of the tailored look — from books, talks with salesmen or somewhere else?

RP: I have always just gone into a store, looked around, and got things that I liked.
I’ve always worn the same clothes. In many ways, the changes in men’s fashions in the fifty years between 1965 and 2015 was almost as great (and maybe in some ways greater) than it was in the fifty years between 1790 and 1840. Sometimes I think that I am like some of the characters in H. Rider Haggard’s Victorian novels, who got their clothes in when they were younger in the Georgian era, and are still wearing their Georgian clothing in the Victorian era.
I thought there was an even older photo of him, but it's only this:
For those who have never seen such a thing in action, here's a picture taken in Portland OR in June 1986 on the way back to Los Angeles after an awful trip (one of the passengers brought his tuba with him and a tuba on a train is worse than snakes on a plane) to EXPO 86 in Vancouver BC.......
LL

Last edited:
I am a fan of how Roycru never smiles for photos. It often makes him look like a wax dummy, but he never looks like a fruitcake with a creepy fake smile.

I thought there was an even older photo of him, but it's only this:

LL

The old railway pics are among the very best. Which leads me to the question: shall we make this thread a 'best of' or collect all his posts (as I originally intended)? Perhaps that would be a bit too much of le Roi Cru?

Bam!
Tan-Vest-Roycru-1968.jpg

Here's Roycru's myspace page, which gives his real name and explains why image searches on Roycru keep showing pics of Rolls Royces. EDIT: a user on some exotic car page with the same name is clearly a different person.
Roy R. Platt Photos on Myspace

Last edited:
Couple more recent posts. Lazy girls can skip the text, but they miss out on the fun.

Quote:

Thanks again to everyone who posts pictures of themselves and to those who like my posts.

A few weeks ago, I went to my Class Of '65 50th Reunion. Today, my "official" picture from the Reunion arrived.

Brooks Brothers blue blazer and ecru PPBD shirt, Squarextraordinaire ecru pocket square, and Polo Ralph Lauren tie. The tie is the old school colors. (Years after we graduated, the school changed its colors to black and orange, like Halloween.)

Here's a scan of my picture in the 1965 Yearbook.

Back then, many of us often wore tab collars (like in the picture) or pin collars. I wish that tab or pin collars were as easy to find now as they were then. I am also wearing an 18kt Bacchus head (with diamond eyes) tie pin, which I don't wear any more. Suit, shirt, and tie all from Brooks Brothers.

Quote:

I lived in Silverlake (on the 900 block of North Vendome Street) when I was younger (and still had blond hair). I lived in the building behind me. To the right of the building (out of the picture) are what are now called the "Music Box Stairs" where Laurel and Hardy filmed the scene in "The Music Box" where they are trying to move a piano up the stairs.

If you like walking up and down stairs, Silverlake is a good area for walking up and down stairs.

Quote:

My friend and I had lunch at DOMA today. It's one of our favorite places. My friend had a Grilled Swordfish Milanese Sandwich with Truffle Potato Chips and I had a Blackened Chicken Sandwich with a salad. As the sandwiches at DOMA are very juicy, they have recently started using paper underliners on sandwiches. I am always careful to wear a bow tie, so I don't drip anything on my tie and my friend never wears a scarf when we go to DOMA. The new paper underliners on the plates are a big help in avoiding getting anything on yourself.

A Modern Italian Restaurant in Beverly Hills | DOMA | Home

The Louis Vuitton store on Rodeo and Brighton has been remodeled, and now has a men's department. They were very eager to show off their new suits and jackets (which I decided to call their "Synergy" line) which is woven from threads of wool and cork ("Synergy" because Louis Vuitton Moet Hennesy is a big user of cork in some of their other products) and does not wrinkle.

I am standing next two two of the "Synergy" wool and cork items. I am wearing a blazer that I got at Brooks Brothers in 1970, which is made out of wool and polyester and also doesn't wrinkle. Before the "Official Preppy Handbook" came out (it was originally sold as a joke book and was in the "Humor" section in bookstores) people didn't think that polyester was evil and Brooks Brothers (and other stores) carried many polyester blend products. Then a gaggle of Preppy wannabes didn't realize the the OPH was a joke book and wouldn't buy anything with polyester in it and ruined things for everyone else.

Whilst on the subject of Brooks Brothers (or, as one well known menswear writer calls it, an "Italian Department Store") we saw some bizarre shirts in the store on Rodeo and Santa Monica. In the recently massively shrunken "Black Fleece" department (proving my theory that nobody buys that stuff) we saw some white piquet (or if you prefer, Marcella) button down collar shirts....

Quote:

Once again, thanks to all of you who post pictures of themselves and who like my pictures.

My high school 50th Reunion was Saturday night at a local country club. Here's a picture standing under giant balloon letters of our old school's initials by one of the fireplaces. I am wearing a Brooks Brother blue blazer and ecru PPBD shirt, a Polo Ralph Lauren orange and white (our school colors) repp tie, Squarextraordinaire pocket square, Orvis trousers, and Allen-Edmonds tan Strandmoks.

Although I never take mirror selfies, I took one at the Reunion to show that the Boy's Room was decorated with pictures of the Dean Of Boys, and I heard that the Girl's Room was decorated with pictures of the Dean Of Girls....

In the 1964 Talent Show, nine girls and I did an act called "Surfer Roy". We did the act again at the Reunion, with all of the former cheer leaders and flag girls who were at the Reunion. Here I am with my former classmate and neighbor, Lynne Stewart (who some of you might recall was "Miss Yvonne" in "Pee Wee's Playhouse" and more recently in "It's Alway's Sunny In Philadelphia") waiting our cue to go on for the final performance of "Surfer Roy". (We decided not to do it again at our 100th Reunion.)

I am wearing a t shirt from our 20th Reunion in 1985 (in our class colors of green and white), L L. Bean shorts, Gold Toe argyle socks, and Allen-Edmonds than Strandmoks with pink shoelaces, which was a reference to our act in the 1963 Talent Show, "Tan Shoes And Pink Shoelaces". (This is also the first and the last time in my life that I have worn a ball cap. It wasn't my idea to wear it.)

Yes, it is a"Frozen" boogie board that I am holding.

Couple more recent posts. Lazy girls can skip the text, but they miss out on the fun.

Quote:

Thanks again to everyone who posts pictures of themselves and to those who like my posts.

A few weeks ago, I went to my Class Of '65 50th Reunion. Today, my "official" picture from the Reunion arrived.

Brooks Brothers blue blazer and ecru PPBD shirt, Squarextraordinaire ecru pocket square, and Polo Ralph Lauren tie. The tie is the old school colors. (Years after we graduated, the school changed its colors to black and orange, like Halloween.)

Here's a scan of my picture in the 1965 Yearbook.

Back then, many of us often wore tab collars (like in the picture) or pin collars. I wish that tab or pin collars were as easy to find now as they were then. I am also wearing an 18kt Bacchus head (with diamond eyes) tie pin, which I don't wear any more. Suit, shirt, and tie all from Brooks Brothers.

Quote:

I lived in Silverlake (on the 900 block of North Vendome Street) when I was younger (and still had blond hair). I lived in the building behind me. To the right of the building (out of the picture) are what are now called the "Music Box Stairs" where Laurel and Hardy filmed the scene in "The Music Box" where they are trying to move a piano up the stairs.

If you like walking up and down stairs, Silverlake is a good area for walking up and down stairs.

Quote:

My friend and I had lunch at DOMA today. It's one of our favorite places. My friend had a Grilled Swordfish Milanese Sandwich with Truffle Potato Chips and I had a Blackened Chicken Sandwich with a salad. As the sandwiches at DOMA are very juicy, they have recently started using paper underliners on sandwiches. I am always careful to wear a bow tie, so I don't drip anything on my tie and my friend never wears a scarf when we go to DOMA. The new paper underliners on the plates are a big help in avoiding getting anything on yourself.

A Modern Italian Restaurant in Beverly Hills | DOMA | Home

The Louis Vuitton store on Rodeo and Brighton has been remodeled, and now has a men's department. They were very eager to show off their new suits and jackets (which I decided to call their "Synergy" line) which is woven from threads of wool and cork ("Synergy" because Louis Vuitton Moet Hennesy is a big user of cork in some of their other products) and does not wrinkle.

I am standing next two two of the "Synergy" wool and cork items. I am wearing a blazer that I got at Brooks Brothers in 1970, which is made out of wool and polyester and also doesn't wrinkle. Before the "Official Preppy Handbook" came out (it was originally sold as a joke book and was in the "Humor" section in bookstores) people didn't think that polyester was evil and Brooks Brothers (and other stores) carried many polyester blend products. Then a gaggle of Preppy wannabes didn't realize the the OPH was a joke book and wouldn't buy anything with polyester in it and ruined things for everyone else.

Whilst on the subject of Brooks Brothers (or, as one well known menswear writer calls it, an "Italian Department Store") we saw some bizarre shirts in the store on Rodeo and Santa Monica. In the recently massively shrunken "Black Fleece" department (proving my theory that nobody buys that stuff) we saw some white piquet (or if you prefer, Marcella) button down collar shirts....

Quote:

Once again, thanks to all of you who post pictures of themselves and who like my pictures.

My high school 50th Reunion was Saturday night at a local country club. Here's a picture standing under giant balloon letters of our old school's initials by one of the fireplaces. I am wearing a Brooks Brother blue blazer and ecru PPBD shirt, a Polo Ralph Lauren orange and white (our school colors) repp tie, Squarextraordinaire pocket square, Orvis trousers, and Allen-Edmonds tan Strandmoks.

Although I never take mirror selfies, I took one at the Reunion to show that the Boy's Room was decorated with pictures of the Dean Of Boys, and I heard that the Girl's Room was decorated with pictures of the Dean Of Girls....

In the 1964 Talent Show, nine girls and I did an act called "Surfer Roy". We did the act again at the Reunion, with all of the former cheer leaders and flag girls who were at the Reunion. Here I am with my former classmate and neighbor, Lynne Stewart (who some of you might recall was "Miss Yvonne" in "Pee Wee's Playhouse" and more recently in "It's Alway's Sunny In Philadelphia") waiting our cue to go on for the final performance of "Surfer Roy". (We decided not to do it again at our 100th Reunion.)

I am wearing a t shirt from our 20th Reunion in 1985 (in our class colors of green and white), L L. Bean shorts, Gold Toe argyle socks, and Allen-Edmonds than Strandmoks with pink shoelaces, which was a reference to our act in the 1963 Talent Show, "Tan Shoes And Pink Shoelaces". (This is also the first and the last time in my life that I have worn a ball cap. It wasn't my idea to wear it.)

Yes, it is a"Frozen" boogie board that I am holding.

It's imperative Roycru never wears shorts again.

I have printed this photo out, framed it and put it on my desk. If anyone asks I say that's my father. My wife called me out on it but I told her to shut the fuck up.

I think Roy would be flattered - or at least say he was flattered even if he was creeped out.

That interview is like reading a classic American novel.

"As I was a horrid child, I thought that it was best not to add any more horrid children to the population, particularly since nearly all the girls I have known were also horrid children when they were young, so we were almost certain to have truly horrid little children."

I think Thruth Thruth will be like Roycru in a couple of years from now, either that or he will find out a way to destroy humanity.

I mean in the way that you don't give a shit what others think.

I actually do care. I really do. I just want to be respected and loved for who I am. Is that too much to ask? I have developed this crusty outer layer, but really I am just a sensitive guy shaking like a human being.

I actually do care. I really do. I just want to be respected and loved for who I am. Is that too much to ask? I have developed this crusty outer layer, but really I am just a sensitive guy shaking like a human being.
uh what? I don't understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom