The Polo Thread

A beautiful polo shirt, G. Inglese.

Screenshot (407).png
Screenshot (410).png

From the Ballantyne "Raw Diamond" line, a nice operated cotton polo shirt.

Screenshot (444).png
Screenshot (446).png
Screenshot (445).png

I'd prefer it were in wool. Moreover what are they suggesting by showing that awful outer big label, that one could let it attached? Nothing tackier than that.

I’m pretty much done with polos. On a younger guy it can evoke some cool mod vibes, but as I get older I start to feel like another old man heading to the golf course.

I will say that Spier and Mackay do a nice cutaway collar and are definitely good for the low end of the market.

D9335FB6-B775-4241-AF45-BA4CFBC87C16.jpeg

I’m pretty much done with polos. On a younger guy it can evoke some cool mod vibes, but as I get older I start to feel like another old man heading to the golf course.

I will say that Spier and Mackay do a nice cutaway collar and are definitely good for the low end of the market.

View attachment 40523
I agree. I have a whole bunch of Polo RL that I use less and less. Sometimes I still do, when I'm bbqing or just in very informal situations (go get something from the shop).

Having said that, I have however bought a bunch of these knit open collar polos from Timothy Everest - they are quite comfortable, good quality and go well with a jacket and tailored trousers.

I dunno, pretty hard to find a better garment for lounging around on the weekends with.

20210719_162719.jpg

Favourite polo of mine is a Diesel made out of pure knitted silk in a blueish grey I bought 15 years ago, when I was 18. Perfect collar, perfect length, perfect tapper of the sleeve. Knitted silk smells different than wool or cotton, the touch is incredible. I've had knitted polos from John Smedley, Sunspel, and Cos but none compared to the Diesel. Do you know any maker doing knitted silk (Loro Piana excluding)?

Decided to not buy anymore polos, just think pique cotton isn't that great against the heat.

Thinking that if I want a knocking around short-sleeved t-shirt look, might as well do like Ringo Starr and sport Trojan gear:

Decided to not buy anymore polos, just think pique cotton isn't that great against the heat.

Thinking that if I want a knocking around short-sleeved t-shirt look, might as well do like Ringo Starr and sport Trojan gear:

too bad Brutus went bust! I love the style, but I’m not sure polycot is going to be good in the heat.

I recommend trying some of the Sunspel Sea Island cotton polos. Not a pique. Very soft cotton.

In super hot a muggy conditions like we get here though, linen button down shirts or a viscose blend is the only thing to wear if you go outside, and even that isn't good enough. Fortunately you don't have to deal with that. Even if the mercury hits 45 C in Europe it's not even close to the heat indexes we get.

on the lower end i've found the banana republic luxury touch polos to have a nice feel. trouble is they shrink like a son of a bitch so you might need to size up. about they best feeling polo i've found on the low end. jcrew's are too rough and polo brand isn't anything special these days.

For cheap, Spier and Mackay are good. They shrink a little, which is good because they aren’t slim at the start. Kent Want and Fred Perry M12 (made in England) cost more and are perhaps better. I had one Sunspel - nice, but not worth the price.

For cheap, Spier and Mackay are good. They shrink a little, which is good because they aren’t slim at the start. Kent Want and Fred Perry M12 (made in England) cost more and are perhaps better. I had one Sunspel - nice, but not worth the price.
What are the best sales S&M run on polos?

What are the best sales S&M run on polos?

I think I paid around $20 each for mine, buying them on-sale and off-season.

Since Covid, their sales program has been a mess. They dropped the buy three get $10 off each deal but are running a constant, rotating 20% off sale - not bad, but you still need to hit $100 for free shipping.

Black Friday they do a good 25% site-wide to clear-out summer stock. If they are are still around on Boxing Day (25% off sitewide again - with winter stock), they are likely to be discounted in the sales section as well - but that’s a gamble.

I think I paid around $20 each for mine, buying them on-sale and off-season.

Since Covid, their sales program has been a mess. They dropped the buy three get $10 off each deal but are running a constant, rotating 20% off sale - not bad, but you still need to hit $100 for free shipping.

Black Friday they do a good 25% site-wide to clear-out summer stock. If they are are still around on Boxing Day (25% off sitewide again - with winter stock), they are likely to be discounted in the sales section as well - but that’s a gamble.
thanks for the info. i'll keep an eye out. if a good sale on the polos or button downs crosses your desk let me know.

I recommend trying some of the Sunspel Sea Island cotton polos. Not a pique. Very soft cotton.

In super hot a muggy conditions like we get here though, linen button down shirts or a viscose blend is the only thing to wear if you go outside, and even that isn't good enough. Fortunately you don't have to deal with that. Even if the mercury hits 45 C in Europe it's not even close to the heat indexes we get.
Might give them a go, thanks.

The hottest place I've ever been for absolute sheer frightening wall of heat when you went out of the hotel was New Orleans in July. Even Rio at 45C+ didn't feel like that. Been lousy summer here between 17-22C for much of the time and the wind hasn't stopped and today it's definitely Autumnal.

Bought a few Orlebar Brown linen /C-L polos this summer. Definitely overpriced at full price but on sale, very good, stylish and well made.

True, any poly-cotton mix in whatever % is going to be a no-go in the heat.
How so? I have some with wicking and UPF protection and they seem to work well. All cotton shrinks too much in my experience without being noticeably cooler. All polyester feels and smells gross after a while.

Who do you recommend for these things on the low and mid range of the spectrum?
Yup, there’s a world of difference between cheap linen which is scratchy and still wears hot, and the good stuff Doghouse refers to.

Who do you recommend for these things on the low and mid range of the spectrum?

Yup, there’s a world of difference between cheap linen which is scratchy and still wears hot, and the good stuff Doghouse refers to.

Well not just linen, but there are plenty of light wearing cotton shirts out there that aren't crazy hot.

Something out of Tencel is great in the heat, like these Orvis shirts.

How so? I have some with wicking and UPF protection and they seem to work well. All cotton shrinks too much in my experience without being noticeably cooler. All polyester feels and smells gross after a while.
You're right, there are some poly type stuff designed to wick away sweat. Had some Rohan shirts and pants in the late 90s that I wore in Venezuela and Brazil. Made specifically for those climates and very effective.
I have light weight shirts in Leno, Giro d'Inglesse, Batiste, Lawn, and Voile.

View attachment 40633
Looks like some Oxford cloth there?

Looks very nice, but I am curious as to the purpose of a cashmere polo. Is it long-sleeved?

Yes, it is long-sleeved. As I see it can be very versatile: you can wear it on its own, over a shirt, under a jacket, it always looks good and refined.

You're right, there are some poly type stuff designed to wick away sweat. Had some Rohan shirts and pants in the late 90s that I wore in Venezuela and Brazil. Made specifically for those climates and very effective.

Looks like some Oxford cloth there?
No, definitely open weave and light weight. They have a very low GSM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom