the Strange and Unusual.

tumblr_m04glmXGBm1qifapbo1_500.jpg

In the early 1900's the dueling scar (renommierschmiss, bragging scar) was a totally badass body modification popular with upper-class, elite Germans and Austrians. It was a mark of class and honor. Doctors, lawyers, professors and politicians got their faces intentionally fucked up as it signified high rank or status. Bandages were common on the faces of young men in unversity.

schmisse2.jpg

SkorzenyOtto.jpg

wagner,adolf2.jpg

tinafey.jpg

es44waltherpuritz19045.jpg

duelingscar.jpg

Yeah, how old is that pic? She's gotta be pushing 60 now, right?

She is 64. The only picture I could find of her this year--she's out of costume. It would probably be difficult to tell how old she is when she's all made up.
8666144701_95f142f37f.jpg

Tall-tale Postcards of Wisconsin.

Shortly after putting roots down in Wisconsin, settlers and immigrants realized what the rest of Americans already knew. Wisconsin is a shitty place that fucking sucks. But it was their state and they were going to make it work. To realize this bland, unimaginative dream they needed more people. Their solution to this problem?

Lies. Huge, fantastic, over-the-top, lies. The type of lies that only people in the optimistic age of American expansionism would ever believe.

tall_tale_postcards_48.jpg

tall_tale_postcards_122.jpg

44599.jpg

These photographs were pioneered by Alfred Stanley Johnson, Jr. at his Waupun studio and were quickly adapted to other states attempting to attract residents. The popularity of tall-tale postcards waned after WWI after communications methods were updated and people stopped being such fucking idiots.

A horror movie just waiting for actors, cameras and a director at the abandoned L’école de Médecine Vétérinaire (Veterinary School) in Brussels.

L%C3%A9cole-de-M%C3%A9decine-V%C3%A9t%C3%A9rinaire-5.jpg

L%C3%A9cole-de-M%C3%A9decine-V%C3%A9t%C3%A9rinaire.jpg

L%C3%A9cole-de-M%C3%A9decine-V%C3%A9t%C3%A9rinaire-2.jpg

L%C3%A9cole-de-M%C3%A9decine-V%C3%A9t%C3%A9rinair-6.jpg

L%C3%A9cole-de-M%C3%A9decine-V%C3%A9t%C3%A9rinaire-4.jpg

L%C3%A9cole-de-M%C3%A9decine-V%C3%A9t%C3%A9rinaire-3.jpg

L%C3%A9cole-de-M%C3%A9decine-V%C3%A9t%C3%A9rinaire-8.jpg

L%C3%A9cole-de-M%C3%A9decine-V%C3%A9t%C3%A9rinaire-7.jpg

Don't know if this classify as "Strange and Unusual" but I think this has to be one of those experiences in which you can feel the fear of "not knowing what is going to happen, cause you don't know what's there" but at the same time admiring one of the most amazing places of the earth.

The famous "Drop".

tumblr_m4hucegVwX1rwq8p6o1_500.gif

Zé Ferreira Zé Ferreira , Argen, would you do it?

Cafe de L'Enfer, Montmarte, Paris. The doorman dressed as Satan (of course) and would greet customers by screaming "Welcome to Hell! Enter and be damned!". I can't find a source that says when it shut down but it seems it was sometime in the early 20th century. Too bad, it looks amazing.
ciel.jpg

interior.jpg

outside.jpg
door.jpg

enfer_2.jpg

tumblr_mbwt86dbyw1rfehu5o1_500.jpg

Don't know if this classify as "Strange and Unusual" but I think this has to be one of those experiences in which you can feel the fear of "not knowing what is going to happen, cause you don't know what's there" but at the same time admiring one of the most amazing places of the earth.

The famous "Drop".

tumblr_m4hucegVwX1rwq8p6o1_500.gif

Zé Ferreira Zé Ferreira , Argen, would you do it?

Betelgeuse Betelgeuse What the fuck is this? Famous 'drop' of what? Where???

Betelgeuse Betelgeuse What the fuck is this? Famous 'drop' of what? Where???

It is where the reef ends and it suddenly just drops off and you cant see the bottom or what’s down there, and you swim over the edge and suddenly your in open water.

1950's movie gimmicks: smell-o-vision, tingling seats, refunds for cowards, cinerama, electric buzzers, no one admitted without vomit bag...

I'm sure some of these ideas were ineffective and prone to failure but they sound like fun.

tingler_poster_edited.jpg

cinerama1.jpg

tumblr_ljellymfdf1qf83cro1_500.jpg

the-fly-and-mark-of-the-devil-1024x874.jpg

smell.jpg

apolyester.odorama1.gif

Oh that part... I don't know, they post in tumblr didn't said. But I guess that even in Miami you can find a place like that. :)

I imagine that sort of drop is off anywhere where the continental shelf drops into open ocean.

Betelgeuse Betelgeuse , the prospect is frightening, but I've also been licensed by PADI for scuba diving, so I do like going down... just in controlled environments. No sea-beasts.

No, Betel, you can't. If you could, it wouldn't be unusual now would it???

I imagine that sort of drop is off anywhere where the continental shelf drops into open ocean.

Betelgeuse Betelgeuse , the prospect is frightening, but I've also been licensed by PADI for scuba diving, so I do like going down... just in controlled environments. No sea-beasts.

This, Grand Potentate Grand Potentate , what the Argen said in the first sentence.

Didn't knew that, that's awesome, Argen!

Movie posters from Minsk, Belarus.

Clockwise from top left: Freaky Friday, Bridget Jones Diary, Shallow Hal, Scooby Doo.
456urtjhnvnvb.jpg

A day or two ago I posted images of the 'well of death' in India...

I mentioned how dangerous it was...

I'd guess this shot from England predates the India pictures by 60-70 years and I'm 100% sure that woman has a fucking lion in her sidecar.

0046shk1.jpg

This looks like a Lambo Countach, but its not.

Ken Imhoff spent 17 years in his basement building this amazing replica by hand. He had to smash a hole in his house to get it out.

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

Inspiration from another thread.

Chang & Eng Bunker. They had 21 children all together. Just imagine the sex positions they had to come up with.

In 1742 workmen erecting a bench in Royston in Hertfordshire, removed a large millstone in the ground and discovered it covered a shaft, 2ft in diameter and 16ft deep, with toeholds cut in the chalk sides to climb down. They sent down a kid, who found a large, bottle shaped chamber, 26 feet high and 17 feet wide, whose walls were filled with carvings. To this day no one really knows who made it or why the hell it's there, under the pavement of an otherwise very ordinary market town.

Royston-Cave-17421_museumimage.jpg

4381403033_8c448e7efb_o.jpg

roystoncave.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom