The Wonderful World of Oz

Leitmotif

Eating his po boy w/oyster,petrosyan caviar,& gold
They are all cool so far, I was expecting more of this;

The above video destroys my placid notion of Australia as just another Canada, a place where people talk a little different but is otherwise not an alien universe. Kangaroos fight in the middle of the streets, sexy utes. I think it's winter for them right now?

Aren't Canadians just Americans who can read and also have some social graces?

Sometimes I picture Arnathor standing in downtown Hamilton with his camera and yelling "hot beef injection" and snapping pics of astonished people.

I have never tried Foster's, your national drink. More importantly, in which direction does the toilet water go when flushed?

I have never tried Foster's, your national drink. More importantly, in which direction does the toilet water go when flushed?
I haven't actually see Fosters on sale here for ages. I think it's only export now. Wasn't all too bad a drink when we only had Big Beer. But now we have big beer posing as hipster craft beer and the offerings are pretty bloody good. With yer actual small craft hipsters beers even better. Just up the road from me one of the small wine shops has a special beer section with over a 1000 different beers from around the world. Lots of good ipa round.
Trouble is they fucking have force the price of a stubby up from $2 or less on special to a new normal of $4 to $5. I can get a decent bottle of shiraz for that.

Newcastle Herald
A MAN has been charged after allegedly driving a bulldozer through a house at Teralba, Lake Macquarie, on Monday.

About 7.10am, police were called to a home on The Weir Road after reports a bulldozer had crushed three parked vehicles at the house.

Investigators have been told a 48-year-old man allegedly drove a bulldozer over the top of three vehicles parked in front of the house, and another that was parked at the side of the property.

The man then allegedly drove the vehicle toward a 29-year-old man who'd been sleeping in a detached garage on the property.

He stopped pursuing the man a short time later and turned the bulldozer toward the house, before continuing over the building until it was demolished.

A neighbour ran to the property and assisted a 56-year-old woman and her two daughters, aged 15 and 20, from the home before it was destroyed.

No one was injured during the incident.

Local police, with assistance from the Dog Unit, smashed the window to the bulldozer's cabin, before deploying OC spray to subdue the driver. An officer was then able to press an emergency stop button to stall the bulldozer.

6530004-3x2-940x627.jpg

I applaud this display of individual freedom, which should have occurred in the United States.

I was bit worried it might give sarto ideas and then I'd be an accessory. If I hear of a dozer stolen in napoli and used to run over tackies, Spanish sleeves and untailors. I'll have get Rambo to delete the original post.

Australians: Our Wealthy are Just as shonky as everyone else.
------
Scotch College student: family had high hopes for entrepreneur

Date June 12, 2015 Marissa Calligeros, Allison Worrall, Timna Jacks
1434065435116.jpg

Alexander Beniac-Brooks. Photo: Facebook.

The family of a Scotch College student behind a get-rich-quick scheme had faith in his entrepreneurial skills and high hopes for his future.
"I am so very proud to call him my brother because he is so talented and already a success at 17 (his success started at 14/15)," his sister wrote online.

"One day he will be a buzzing entrepreneur (he already is) and will have the world falling at his feet. He is amazing!

1434064513799.jpg

The ill-fated start-up has reportedly left Scotch College students tens of thousands of dollars in the red. Photo: Gary Medlicott
"He has already made a name for himself around town...I believe Alexander is all about making change [not only] within his own, but others' lives."

That was before Alexander Beniac-Brooks' online business venture, importing luxury watches, clothes and sneakers, collapsed owing more than $185,000 to schoolboy investors.

Mr Beniac-Brooks reportedly traded in Rolex watches and luxury brands Gucci and Louis Vuitton, importing the goods and selling them via a private Facebook page.

An excerpt from the online blog praising Alexander Beniac-Brooks.
1434065435116.jpg

It has been reported that one student lost $150,000 in the business venture, which collapsed about two weeks ago.

It has also been revealed that a number of students from at least five private Melbourne schools were caught up in the scheme.
Students from Melbourne Grammar, Haileybury, St Kevins, Trinity and Brighton Grammar reportedly invested in the business.

1434065435116.jpg

Alexander Beniac-Brooks. Photo: Facebook.

A source told Fairfax Media the business had investors from a group of elite Melbourne schools: "All private school kids anywhere from Brighton [Grammar] to Scotch."
Adults outside the school were also caught up in the scheme.
Trinity Grammar principal Michael Davies said the school has been made aware that some of its students had invested in the scheme.
"We were made aware of this situation in term one [through] our community because this isn't something that happened in our school," Dr Davies told Fairfax Media.
"We immediately investigated and we found that a small amount of money was passed on from four boys to be invested. We shut it down immediately and all the money was returned.
"I was very satisfied with how we acted as a school and I can say that it was completely shut down at Trinity."
Fairfax Media has been told Mr Beniac-Brooks' father has met the student investors in regard to his son's debts after the business collapsed.
Detectives from the Boroondara Crime Investigation Unit are examining the case to determine whether a crime was committed, after receiving reports regarding possible deception.
"A number of victims reported the matter to police yesterday," Constable Bernadette Smith said.
"At this stage it would be inappropriate to make further comment."
A spokesman for Scotch College, which charges more than $25,000 a year for senior students, said "the school's view is that this is a matter for the families and individuals involved".

Mr Beniac-Brooks has expensive taste in clothing, as evident in a video posted online last month.
He speaks of his love for fashion and shoes in the video, saying he draws inspiration from European styles.
He also says he plans to move overseas to "live the lifestyle I enjoy".
"I sort of want to do my entrepreneurship course and expand the businesses I already have," he says in the video.
"I can collect shoes and look at fashion and things."

Five more elite Melbourne schools caught in Scotch College get-rich-quick scheme
KATHRYN POWLEY, MONIQUE HORE, CHAD VAN ESTROP NEWS CORP AUSTRALIA NETWORK, JUNE 12, 2015 3:35PM
SHARE33
Alexander Beniac-Brooks explains his love of shoes
external

Alexander Beniac-Brooks explains his lov...
THE Scotch College get-rich-quick scandal has spread to at least five other elite schools as police begin investigating the disastrous business dealings of a disgraced student.

A failed business run by ex-Scotch student Alexander Beniac-Brooks is alleged to have left his classmates an estimated $185,000 out of pocket.
A business associate of the teenage entrepreneur said last night students from Brighton Grammar, St Kevin’s College, Haileybury and Melbourne Grammar had also invested.
After the Herald Sun revealed the scandal, it emerged another exclusive college — Trinity Grammar — had “shut down” the scheme’s operations within its own grounds.
Trinity headmaster Dr Michael Davies said up to five students paid very small amounts, but the school had been able to recover the money.

753285-40167882-0fdb-11e5-92d4-be2ab03e6b13.jpg

Alexander Beniac-Brooks was “pretty confident” according to an acquaintance.
“We were aware in term one this year that Trinity boys had been approached to invest in this scheme run by a boy at another school,” he said.
“Money did change hands, but when we became aware of it the school acted very firmly and quickly to ensure we shut this down.”
“This is not something that happens at this school and we don’t condone it in any way, shape or form.”
It is understood some students received Rolexes for investing in the failed business of Mr Beniac-Brooks who traded in European watches and luxury import brands Gucci and Louis Vuitton.
An investor in the scheme said he gave the teen $1000 on a promise it would be more than doubled.
“Alex would never have done that to scam anyone,” he said.
“I don’t think anyone really knew (what they were investing in) but people just gave him money.
“Lot of my mates got heaps of money back and it was all working.
“(What people invested) varied from $500 to $5000 to $10,000. The more you gave the more you got back.”

728192-f535a0fe-100c-11e5-bb38-91e363bd21ce.jpg

Scotch College in Melbourne.
Mr Beniac-Brooks — who attended Trinity before transferring to Scotch — was labelled a “gimp” and a “fake” in a Facebook conversation in 2012 that discussed him leaving Trinity.

In response to questions about the failed investment scheme at Scotch, Victoria Police said a number of victims had reported the matter to police on Wednesday.
“Detectives will now assess the matter to determine whether any crimes have been committed.”

The teen’s parents — both professionals who live in a two-storey home in leafy Kew — have been repaying the debts of their son’s failed scheme.
A business acquaintance said Mr Beniac-Brooks sold Louis Vuitton and Gucci products to a Facebook group of 5000 members.
He was an administrator of one online group that boasted it sold “shoes, clothes, jewellery, phones and much more of Melbourne.”
“He had a reputation as being top of the hierarchy for selling clothes and shoes online,” the acquaintance said.
He said Mr Beniac-Brooks, who appeared to have significant amounts of money, was popular because of the goods he sold.
“In terms of buying and selling he was pretty confident,” he said.
“You could tell he was a nice guy.”
Another teen said customers who bought goods from Mr Beniac-Brooks online paid via Paypal and received their items in the mail.

How have I just noticed this thread...

Belle Gibson - most hated person in Australia
Aborigines - generally the PC term is indigenous these days, definitely not Abo (I'm a small part Indigenous which explains my need to be near rivers all the time)
Aborigines on the road- it's a problem but only up north in the remote communities of the Northern Territory.
Fosters - indeed it's shit. We do have some great non mainstream beers though. Kosciuszko Pale ale is my drop.

Any other questions?

How have I just noticed this thread...

Belle Gibson - most hated person in Australia
Aborigines - generally the PC term is indigenous these days, definitely not Abo (I'm a small part Indigenous which explains my need to be near rivers all the time)
Aborigines on the road- it's a problem but only up north in the remote communities of the Northern Territory.
Fosters - indeed it's shit. We do have some great non mainstream beers though. Kosciuszko Pale ale is my drop.

Any other questions?

Do you guys still have those public BBQs? Best invention ever. They should have them in every park in London.

Quality of life in Australia is amazing. Always close to a beach, great weather, and beautiful nature. I'm very jealous of you guys down under, and I'll never understand why so many of you move to London. Wish you had a bigger financial sector and it was a bit easier to move to for qualified professionals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom