The Wonderful World of Oz

"There are around 1.2 million Australians with Chinese heritage but there has never been a Chinese-Australian MP in the lower house."

Think they mean the first female Chinese Australian in the lower house.

Yes, I think that they missed out the "female" qualifier - my former local federal MP was born in HK of Chinese heritage and served from 2001 to 2010. There's also a federal MP from Western Australia who was born in Singapore of Chinese heritage.

The Chinese-Australians making political history

"There are around 1.2 million Australians with Chinese heritage but there has never been a Chinese-Australian MP in the lower house.

When Australians go to the polls on 18 May in a federal election, history could well be made in the seat of Chisholm in Melbourne, where two Chinese-Australian candidates are running against each other."

Australia has never elected an oriental MP? Shocking. fxh fxh might accidentally elect one.
As far as I recall we have never had a Chinese -Australian in the Lower House -Federally.

I think most states have had a few members in state Parliament.
Theres plenty of Chinese Australians in local government and theres been a fair few Chinese Australian Mayors - theres even been a Chinese Australian Mayor of Melbourne. ( Mind you Melbourne city area isn't such a big deal.)

Penny Wong is one of the most formidable politicians in Australia. And maybe even young enough to be PM one day.

And it's not true that the two candidates in Chisholm are Chinese - the Labor candidate in Chisholm is Taiwanese - Australian

I'm confused about the three posts above. Hopefully some diversity will make it into parliament and/or cabinet by 19th May.

As far as I recall we have never had a Chinese -Australian in the Lower House -Federally.

I suppose it depends what you mean by "Chinese" in Chinese-Australian. If you mean someone born in mainland China, or with mainland Chinese parents, then perhaps we haven't.

However, if you mean someone with ethnic Chinese heritage, then we have - Michael Johnson (born in HK) and Ian Goodenough (born in Singapore) are two examples of federal members of the House or Reps who were both born overseas, and who have Chinese heritage.

Penny Wong's father is Malay-Chinese. In addition to Penny Wong, there have been a few Senators who were ethnically Chinese - Tsebin Tchen, Bill O'Chee and Dio Wang are a few examples.

Penny Wong is one of the most formidable politicians in Australia. And maybe even young enough to be PM one day.

we want politicians who are not condescending and arrogant. The average person doesn't like snobs who talk down to them and lecture them, and l think that is why Labor lost last week. People are sick of being called "knuckle draggers" and stupid because some politicians think they know better than everyone else. Calling much of Queensland rednecks because they voted more conservatively this time around is also inappropriate. People are sick of this type of ilk. What we really want is politicians who can act normal and behave with manners and not treat the public with contempt.

I'm confused about the three posts above. Hopefully some diversity will make it into parliament and/or cabinet by 19th May.

Diversity means nothing. What we really want is good moral principles and to treat each other well. Some diversity is good and other diversity is bad, so it is not an important issue. The key thing is behaviour and sustainable societies where creativity and free enterprise occurs. But if diversity includes ratty and immoral ideals, then FORGET IT!!!

I don't buy into any of that group think promoting the modern thinking. What l am about is promoting being good people and following tradition laid down for us by Gods. We were given a blueprint as a way to live, so lets not let this modern thinking take us away from that, because if we do we end up with a messed up and confused society that we do today. People are so confused these days that they no longer know how to act and behave./

Last edited:
Personally l think this diversity that is often promoted is superficial nonsense. It doesn't matter what a person looks like, what really matters is how a person thinks and how they contribute to the society. Who cares what race and colour people are, that's just shallow and insignificant imo. What really matters is the positive things a person has to offer, AND their character!!!

See...the modern thinking takes people away from the real issues. It's not about the appearances, it's about the substance imo.

Australia is a successfully multicultural society, though that is not reflected in parliament:

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...ast-diverse-in-australia-20171204-gzy1la.html

I don't think most aussies don't care about identity politics because they voted for two white men to lead the country, and most also voted for a party dominated by white men where few women now serve in. I think only the vocal minority put importance on superficial things like race and sex etc, however most people imo don't care about those types of things in politics. The most important thing we need in parliament is good people, so what sex or country a person is born in is meaningless when compared to having a person in parliament with a good heart.

A good heart > outside appearances

Last edited:
Australian Climate for those who have NFI

1559532009415.png
1559532019213.png

^Poor bastards. As much as kangaroos can think, they're probably thinking, "What the f&%^ is this white stuff?!?"

We're from North America. We expect animals to be smiling like Disney cartoons.

The photo of a huntsman spider in Australia attempting to eat a pygmy possum was posted to the Facebook page Tasmanian Insects and Spiders. Photograph: Justine Latton
1560849311152.png
1560849327430.png

Midsomer Murders in The Northern Territory?

I don’t think so. Barnaby and his sidekick do not have to drive five hours from Causton to the scene of the crime.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...disappeared-Outback-town-dozen-residents.html

Apart from his disappearance, there is no explanation of how he got a Woolworths chicken. I assumed you would have butcher your own meat in a place like Larrimah.

He seemed to be a creature of habit/set in his ways. Also lazy if he would not walk a couple of hundred yards to the pub.

One of the strongest indicators that Paddy had met with foul play was a cooked Woolworths chicken in a wrapper dated December 16 which was found in his microwave (pictured). The chook had been bought by a tourist and given to Paddy the last evening he was seen at the pub

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom