This Week In Science & Technology

"It's not a China problem" yes it is. Wholesale plagiarism is what they are all about. same with researchers and students from the Middle East. Plagiarism is not unethical. "It is a compliment to the author"

To steal a book is an elegant offense.

It's an incredible animal.

Indeed it is.

screen-shot-2015-05-04-at-8-53-50-am-2.png

Canadian lobsters bring signs of the apocalypse

4 blue lobsters, 1 yellow, 1 albino lobster have been caught in the last 2 weeks in the Maritimes

Lobster catches across the Maritimes this season have, despite the odds, proven to be very colourful.

Four blue lobsters, a yellow and an albino lobster have all been caught in the last two weeks.

While chances of catching a yellow lobster are ten times less frequent than blue ones, the odds of catching an albino lobster are one in 100 million.

It's really interesting to think about all the "science" that we currently accept as fact that will be exposed as utter bullshit in 20-200 years.

Is this just a general comment or something relating to cat urine and mouse mind control?

General comment. I think stuff like toxoplasmosis is really cool (provided I or a loved one never get it, of course). Fascinating to think how much of an illusion free will is sometimes.

It came to mind after an argument with a co-worker who said that people should have to have a license to raise a child. Which is ridiculous (can you see bureaucrats like me deciding who should get to reproduce?). He then backed down to "they should have to take a class". Which is also ridiculous. Parenting advice from fifteen years ago is outdated (and we have an obscene amount of kids with peanut allergies to show for it, among other things), and the shit we'd teach now would undoubtedly be found to have a bunch of holes in it.

It's really interesting to think about all the "science" that we currently accept as fact that will be exposed as utter bullshit in 20-200 years.
Maybe sooner than that. Yesterday I was presented with the article on
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/28/magazine/can-the-bacteria-in-your-gut-explain-your-mood.html?_r=0
which shows established scientists being openly hostile and critical to something that is proving very real. The comment I was given that science ultimately ends up proving what folklore already knew. Ask a normal human if gut bacteria will affect their temperament and they'll concede it probably will. Some scientist that thinks they know it all, resists the notion.
People always look back at radiation, trace minerals, and other toxic quack cures as though people were stupid, oblivious to the similar folly going on in the modern day.

(humblebrag) My dad's been at the control center for Horizons for the last couple weeks as his team worked on two instruments. He keeps sending me pictures of scientists (he's a project manager with a liberal arts PhD, so not quite a scientist) reacting whenever they receive new data. Basically excited space nerds looking at numbers.

unnamed.jpg

(Father Chorn is in this picture)

Some of them are not just space nerds, but business nerds. One of the guys in the picture started basically sort of a scam where you pay money to his company and he names a star or moon or planet after you; he's making millions. IAU called him out on it and he told 'em to fuck off.

(humblebrag) My dad's been at the control center for Horizons for the last couple weeks as his team worked on two instruments. He keeps sending me pictures of scientists (he's a project manager with a liberal arts PhD, so not quite a scientist) reacting whenever they receive new data. Basically excited space nerds looking at numbers.

View attachment 7273

Some of them are not just space nerds, but business nerds. One of the guys in the picture started basically sort of a scam where you pay money to his company and he names a star or moon or planet after you; he's making millions. IAU called him out on it and he told 'em to fuck off.

Has to be the guy all the way on the right...

View attachment 7273

How things have slipped clothing wise. Heres the Mercury 7 mob:

Mercury_Seven.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom