Travel Information, Dining Recs, Tips, & Tricks Mega Thread

Kingstonian

Never been to Bilbao. I hear it is a workers city. Galicia next door is lovely. Rains a lot, but Santiago de Compostela is great, as is Corunna. Great fish restaurants and the tomb of Sir John Moore:-

‘Not a drum was heard
Not a funeral note
As his corps to the ramparts we hurried
Not a soldier discharged his farewell shot
O’er the grave where our hero we buried’

Great to see the place as it was a poem my father used to quote along with ‘the seven ages of man’

San Sebastián is on the to do list, but might stay across the border in France.

Pimpernel Smith

Never been to Bilbao. I hear it is a workers city. Galicia next door is lovely. Rains a lot, but Santiago de Compostela is great, as is Corunna. Great fish restaurants and the tomb of Sir John Moore:-

San Sebastián is on the to do list, but might stay across the border in France.
I had visions of it being a dockers town with a sleazy side a bit like the song:

But it's really very pleasant in the centre and I noticed the price of apartments there are not cheap. It clearly rains a lot there and it was raining when I arrived.

Going from San Sebastian to Biarritz might be a good trip. I'm not sure whether Biarritz has deteriorated like lots urban France.

ballmouse

Visiting London for a few days next month. Is it worth biking in the city?

Also, general recommendations are welcome.

QuandoDio

London is often a death trap for cyclists. Still, cyclists are everywhere. Depends on where you are I guess.

What do you intend to do in London?

ballmouse

At the moment, I’m going to miss work, see a friend whose visa is expiring Dec 31, and use some flight upgrades that expire.

So honestly I don’t have plans per se. might be nice to see some shops and whatnot I didn’t bother visiting as I was a poor student when the pound was 1.6x the dollar.

And yes, drinking a proper English bitter would be probably be on the menu

Kingstonian

I would not be confident cycling but I know a lot of cyclists who are happy to ride a bike even in central London. Site seeing would be easier using public transport or walking.

If you want clothes shops, Jermyn Street is a good bet.

Good beer guide will highlight decent pubs in your area. Wetherspoons is very cheap and the one on Chancery Lane is nicely appointed, respectable clientele etc.

Fwiffo

Supporter
I would not be confident cycling but I know a lot of cyclists who are happy to ride a bike even in central London. Site seeing would be easier using public transport or walking.

If you want clothes shops, Jermyn Street is a good bet.

Good beer guide will highlight decent pubs in your area. Wetherspoons is very cheap and the one on Chancery Lane is nicely appointed, respectable clientele etc.
Weatherspoons is a chain. Shouldn't you recommend a proper pub that has been there since time immemorial?

Kingstonian

Weatherspoons is a chain. Shouldn't you recommend a proper pub that has been there since time immemorial?
Proper pubs in a suitable area are in the Good Beer Guide. No point recommending somewhere on the wrong side of town.

Top Bottom