Travel Information, Dining Recs, Tips, & Tricks Mega Thread

Working in New Brunswick, Canada for the next few weeks. Anything interesting here? I imagine mostly outdoorsy activities, but ideas wouldn't hurt.

Working in New Brunswick, Canada for the next few weeks. Anything interesting here? I imagine mostly outdoorsy activities, but ideas wouldn't hurt.
Ouch.

Now that that's out of the way, are you in St. John? Have time to skip over to Nova Scotia at all?

Well, looks like I'm off to sunny Dubai once more this winter. Didn't think I would ever go back, but lo and behold we are building another yacht there.

Ouch.

Now that that's out of the way, are you in St. John? Have time to skip over to Nova Scotia at all?

Moncton. Only time to get out would be weekends. Thinking Prince Edward Island and potentially Nova Scotia next free weekend though.

Moncton. Only time to get out would be weekends. Thinking Prince Edward Island and potentially Nova Scotia next free weekend though.

If you can hop to NS for a day, I highly recommend hitting the Bay if Fundy to ride the tidal bore. Super unique experience.

Ooof. Not much in Moncton. Magnetic Hill for the optical illusion. There are all kinds of festivals going on town and in the countryside.

PEI is quaint. Cows, Anne of Green Gables. Good lobster.

I second doghouse doghouse in getting over to Nova Scotia. You need to see the tides at the Bay of Fundy. Halifax is a nice city to boot

Yeah, it's a little futher to Halifax or I would definitely have suggested that too. Great town, if you have the time hit it up for sure. You can also participate in the tuna flat world championship races. Basically you are going against old watermen with arms the size of my thigh with packs of Marlboro Reds rolled in their sleeves. And they will annihilate you.

Are you all Canadians? i expected zero replies when I threw out my original post.

Can someone explain the poor/slow restaurant service? This is my first time in Canada and while most things don’t seem very different than the US, the restaurant service is more than likely terrible relatively speaking. I might wait 20 minutes before anyone even takes my order.

Oh, went to Greenwich in PEI yesterday. Lovely beach there. Cows was good too.

No, I'm 'Merican. I've just been there a bunch.

Thruth Thruth is Canadian.

But I would suspect the service is because NB is bumfuck, not because its Canadia.

Is it? Some places in NB seemed to have a East Coast/New England feel to it, so it didn't occur to me I might be out in the backcountry. But I supposed I should have known after I ate at this place last night.

d25d234325c7399b79229369f2d91f64.jpeg

My experience is that Murkans have a different notion of what service is - especially with food.

Dinner tonight: hostess gave our table for 8 to another party, so we sat at a table for 6 with 2 extra chairs. Over 30 minutes before the waiter came to take our order of appetizers. I think we spent as much time at the restaurant as we did in the office after lunch.

On the plus side, I'm supposed to go to Warsaw next in a month. I suppose I should check out the shoes there?

Well I'm off in 2 weeks. Lisbon, train Porto, fly BCn, train Toulouse, train Paris, fly Aberdeen, - hire car then drive to Dunbar, York, Oxford, train London. And places in between all of them.

Any tips? Insider knowledge ? Cheap eats?
I’ve lined up free jazz in the park in Lisbon from what I can gather

Ms. Fxh has to tour aerobus factory in Toulouse!.

Haven’t packed yet , need to do a test pack as only taking cabin baggage after the big haul. Sending cargo hold case with wedding gear from Heathrow to Aberdeen by special luggage courier company before heading off to Lisbon and eu. Packing least worn old suit etc.

Last thing I have to book is train from Toulouse to Paris. All the rest is sorted. I have used booking.com as much as possible as it allows free cancellation up to a week or so before. Works well as it’s allowed me to change itinerary a few times already. And change Accommadation. I’ve minimised 2 night stays and worked it so we stay in one spot and do day trips instead.

Last edited:
I have used booking.com as much as possible as it allows free cancellation up to a week or so before.

I see Booking.com come in my searches for grand hotels a lot, but I always go direct to the hotel. Am I missing something?

If you're into Jazz, maybe visit Jamboree in Barcelona. They host a jam session each Monday night, which is usually nice. Cheapest beer in Barcelona, as far as I remember. Don't know about the other nights, depends on the artist I guess.

Which spots? I can help in Paris, London, a bit of Scotland (not Aberdeen unfortunately).

The house of trembling madness pub in York is excellent for beer, atmosphere, and pies or charcuterie

I see Booking.com come in my searches for grand hotels a lot, but I always go direct to the hotel. Am I missing something?

As fxh notes, it allows you to book accommodation without actually having to pay anything, and without any cancellation fees.

I've used it in Japan a couple of times now and it's been excellent, without any problems at all.

If you're into Jazz, maybe visit Jamboree in Barcelona. They host a jam session each Monday night, which is usually nice. Cheapest beer in Barcelona, as far as I remember. Don't know about the other nights, depends on the artist I guess.
Thanks for that. Only in BCN for two nights- its the only place we are doing the quick tourist thing. I'm taking a bullet proof vest, a gun, hiring an armoured car and 2 body guards - going on the experience of others.

It's mainly been cheaper than going direct but the big advantage is that generally you don't have to pay until checkin/out - not always - and you can cancel up to 24 hours prior without penalty. It means I can plot out an itinerary - book accommodation and then alter it if needed without worry. Plus they work as an intermediary if you have problems.
NB: I do not search for "Grand Hotels"

Which spots? I can help in Paris, London, a bit of Scotland (not Aberdeen unfortunately).
Aberdeen I know -my brother lives there - works for a USA small oil equipment supplier and is a muso
Paris - I'd like to hear any good tips- I don't have much interest in the usual tourist shit except galleries etc. London - we are staying in Cromwell Road ( Chelsea?) any tips?

Aberdeen I know -my brother lives there - works for a USA small oil equipment supplier and is a muso
Paris - I'd like to hear any good tips- I don't have much interest in the usual tourist shit except galleries etc. London - we are staying in Cromwell Road ( Chelsea?) any tips?

Where in Paris are you staying? The Musee d' Orsay is probably my favorite, and the Musee de l'Orangerie is fantastic as well. Obviously the Louvre is the 300 lb gorilla in the room, but it has some awesome shit. I can maybe give better eating tips if I know where you are.

London, you can tube all over. Cromwell Rd is Kensington mostly. You are right up on Harrods and a million tea and cake shops for the Arabs. But Chelsea is around the corner, could catch a Blues match at Stamford Bridge if you didn't hate sport. I'd head west toward St James and cruise all the gentlemens shops. It's like nirvana for people such as us. Jermyn St has all the shave and shoe stuff, plus shirt makers. St James St has the cigar and wine spots. Also can pop into Dukes for a martini or Red Lion for a pint. If you fancy buying any shirts I can let H&H know you are coming and give you some one to talk to (or you can just stroll in, they are very friendly). One spot I always recommend, and it would be right up your alley, is Gordon's Wine Bar on Villiers St. If you don't do anything else I mention, do this. Sell nothing but wine and stinky cheese in a medieval cellar. I would make a point to eat at The Footman off Berkeley Square and spend an evening in Sheperd Market just hanging out. Can eat at the Polish/Mexican restaurant, and then just cruise around the circle, it's like it's own little city within a city. Other places I fancy are Mews of Mayfair for Sunday roast, it's in a back alley in Mayfair, the Lyric in Soho (Thee Captain from FNB turned me on to this), the Windmill for hanging with tailors, and the Iron Duke next to Claridges I just learned about from a tip from my driver last April.

For attractions, the two things I've always liked most are Temple Church, which has Templars buried in the floor, and surprisingly good, the Tower.

Thanks for that. Only in BCN for two nights- its the only place we are doing the quick tourist thing. I'm taking a bullet proof vest, a gun, hiring an armoured car and 2 body guards - going on the experience of others.
Guess that is not youtube-based experience? I've been there at least 10-15 times, anything between three days and 6 weeks at a time, last time in spring 2016: Never had any problems. The area to the right of las ramblas (coming from plza Catalunya) is a bit rough a night, some parts behind the Olympic port as well, the city beach at night, etc. but that's like pretty much any larger city I guess. Wouldn't worry about a thing.

e. Considering doghouse doghouse mentioned Berkely Square, I can highly recommend Benares. Excellent Indian food and if you go during the day it is (was?) dirt cheap as well.

My office mates in Barcelona have zero problems, and right on plaz. Catalyuna too. Though they are also clearly Spanish and Catalonian - I gather the locals are getting pretty fed up with Airbnb tourists etc. (As are we in Edinburgh!)

Aberdeen's been somewhat quiet of late, but the good times are going to return.

Well I'm off in 2 weeks. Lisbon, train Porto, fly BCn, train Toulouse, train Paris, fly Aberdeen, - hire car then drive to Dunbar, York, Oxford, train London. And places in between all of them.
Lisbon and Porto are lovely.

In Porto the port lodges on the other side of the river are must see. Have lunch at Taylor’s. Very nice scoff with appropriate ports to go with it in a very nice dining room. Tawny ports from the Symington group Graham’s etc are a good tasting too. Bridge across the river Douro is rather high if you don’t like heights may be best to get transport across rather than walk.
https://www.taylor.pt/en/visit-taylors/port-cellars

Can mano in Barcelona for very cheap eats. Good fish. Gets busy. Queues. But time it right and it is good. Downmarket caff rather than restaurant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom