Tweed Jacket

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Ratings
I’ve owned a lot of tweed jackets over the years, of varying weights and densities. I think I’ve come to understand some of the different characteristics- such as Donegal versus Harris. But I’ve never really seen a tweed primer on the different tweed houses and their pros/cons. Does such a thing exist or can one of you outline it here?

FriendCustomer

Awful Tie Aficionado
Ratings
I’ve owned a lot of tweed jackets over the years, of varying weights and densities. I think I’ve come to understand some of the different characteristics- such as Donegal versus Harris. But I’ve never really seen a tweed primer on the different tweed houses and their pros/cons. Does such a thing exist or can one of you outline it here?
Despite my hatered for the author, this is not a bad introduction for the beginner:
https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/tweed-guide-harris-history-styles-patterns/

Thruth

thicker but more pliant than horsehide
Ratings
That Blue P&H Donegal is beautiful, I've been meaning to do it for years. Not sure it would work as just a jacket though, only as a suit, which has put me off 'pulling-the-trigger'.
Lovely tweed. Jacket or suit. Horses for courses. YMMV

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Ratings
That gun and then Donegal is nice, though I still like the light Moon untweed I posted a few weeks back - at least for my climate. Here is one of their MtM Harris jackets:
FFE9C9D8-91A0-419F-90D3-C150BFE8065F.jpeg
83A94212-CE41-4FF7-89CB-B52C38EE3088.jpeg

rdiaz

Ratings
Alright, I had enough. You just teased me to kop a vintage Harris tweed jacket off the Bay. Has many chances to fit like crap so not sure I will keep it (rtw, not respoke, I'm not a big timer like you guys), but who knows...

viaattovannucci

No Custom Title
Ratings
^
Said was often seen wearing Tweed.
Naturally. And a Rolex Day-Date. Though this is certainly my favorite coat of his. I love how he tones it down here with the roll neck (or with a V-neck jumper as above), though I must admit that the PS is too British/toffee for my taste.

116E3257-3108-4D70-8BD4-0A8AB9EAB384-2103-00000204F43CCC5B.jpeg

Edward-Said.jpg

said_011015.jpg

Last edited:

rdiaz

Ratings
The jois of thrifting..

This jacket came with this repair on the elbow (I was aware of it before buying) but I wonder what your views are on putting an elbow patch in there or just leave it be
IMG_20171126_105735.jpg

Dakuan

Ratings
Here's a forward fitting for a tweed thing I'm having made. Bit snug round the chest but that's being fixed. I'm okay with having great tits anyway. Tissue is Moons.

MES

Ratings
I almost picked up this Saxony tweed beast today. Belted action-back, extremely heavy tweed. No context to wear it in, of course, and I'd feel too much like an Austrian hunter even if I did.
20171129_124712.jpg

Last edited:

Dakuan

Ratings
It's certainly a short jacket - but I'm also a very short man. The 'correct' length kinda drowns me. Although I don't have Craptom's stature, I do at least have an 'obscure seat' so there'll be no freezing.

Journeyman

Supporter
Ratings
Here's a forward fitting for a tweed thing I'm having made. Bit snug round the chest but that's being fixed. I'm okay with having great tits anyway. Tissue is Moons.
I agree that it's a bit short - even if you're a bit short, I still think that the jacket would benefit from being a bit longer. As long as the front is cut away at the bottom, it will still look good at the front and will also look sensible at the rear.

I also think that the buttoning point is a bit too high and that it would benefit from being a bit lower.

Then again, I'm not a tailor, so I could be entirely wrong!

rdiaz

Ratings
I agree that it's a bit short - even if you're a bit short, I still think that the jacket would benefit from being a bit longer. As long as the front is cut away at the bottom, it will still look good at the front and will also look sensible at the rear.

I also think that the buttoning point is a bit too high and that it would benefit from being a bit lower.

Then again, I'm not a tailor, so I could be entirely wrong!
We'd have to look at a full body picture to judge. If he's short with stumpy legs sure a short jacket and high buttoning point would benefit him. How short is too short depends on the physique.

Top Bottom