Tweed Jacket

Yeah, I think a bag or cap or something smaller for that pattern.
Were I crazy rich, I would absolutely be making heavy use of this reflective fabric.
However, wouldn't most flash photography light the stuff up? If I could unassumingly pose for group photos, and then have the image showing me in an eerie glow, that would be wonderfully obnoxious.

yep, they are dashing off madly in all directions with most of their weaves.

this donegal reminds me of A Starry Night
navy_donegal_web_1_1_1.jpg

a herringbone donegal

herringbone_donegal_web_3_1.jpg

this one will have people trying to pick lint off your jacket
navy_boucle_stripe_web_2_1.jpg

I don't know whether that's a stroke of genius, or utterly horrendous.

To do it justice, they should have taken a photo with all of the lights turned out bar the spotlight at the back, just so as to show us how the "Lumatwill" outfit glows.

Best I can do.

IMAG0296.jpg

In this case, the hi-vis capability would work against you, because it would make it easier for me to run you over.

^ I'm a big fan of cycling but I would have to agree that anyone cycling in a pair of plus-fours whilst wearing a pair of mauve socks is almost asking to be run down.

I know those Chaps Magazine Tweed run folks are a bit too Fedora Lounge.
But.
I think they have a point.

At least here in Australia any normal type activity will quickly get turned into a macho testosterone laden yobbo male SPORT.
With a capital fuckin S.
Even the women join in.

So that a bike riding idea becomes SPORT. COMPETITIVE. where the usual school yard bullies emerge and spend enormous effort making sure they compete with newbies or people at least 3 levels below their own ability in order to be able to WIN.

So the clothing is TECHNICAL and expensive and the bikes HIGH tech - crabon - so no one can just be like say Amsterdam, and ride on normal bike with normal clothes on normal days in a normal way at normal speeds.

No.No.No.
Even on bike commuter paths in the morning its dominated by blokes and their macho women counterparts, in Lycra, crabon racing bikes speeding in an effort to do a Personal Best on the way to fuckin work. Along with scowls at normal people and shouts of "Passing on your right"

Fuck them. They have spoiled enough of Australian life. Now they've spoilt the simple bike ride.

I'd rather talk to the nerdy tweed set in purple socks and plus fores any day.

I know those Chaps Magazine Tweed run folks are a bit too Fedora Lounge.
But.
I think they have a point.

At least here in Australia any normal type activity will quickly get turned into a macho testosterone laden yobbo male SPORT.
With a capital fuckin S.
Even the women join in.

So that a bike riding idea becomes SPORT. COMPETITIVE. where the usual school yard bullies emerge and spend enormous effort making sure they compete with newbies or people at least 3 levels below their own ability in order to be able to WIN.

So the clothing is TECHNICAL and expensive and the bikes HIGH tech - crabon - so no one can just be like say Amsterdam, and ride on normal bike with normal clothes on normal days in a normal way at normal speeds.

No.No.No.
Even on bike commuter paths in the morning its dominated by blokes and their macho women counterparts, in Lycra, crabon racing bikes speeding in an effort to do a Personal Best on the way to fuckin work. Along with scowls at normal people and shouts of "Passing on your right"

Fuck them. They have spoiled enough of Australian life. Now they've spoilt the simple bike ride.

I'd rather talk to the nerdy tweed set in purple socks and plus fores any day.

Tell us how you really feel.

I'll start on you and your tacky yachting wanker mates if you don't watch out.

The throat tab? There is also a functional button on the other side, which causes a slight bump - more noticeable in the pics than real life.

That must be it, it's just seems a little irregular on your right shoulder.

Yeah, the mirror reversal threw me for a bit. I like the fabric and buttons. It's just odd seeing tweed on a tall slender person in a slimmer cut. I'm so used to seeing it baggier.

Happy Zombie Wednesday

Thoughts on this Hunters of Brora special run Sherland tweed? 360g or 10/11 ounce. For jacketing. Was commissioned by jerry Browne on SF. He has been trying to sell remaining stock since 2014

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Would look similar to this jacket of Vox but his isn't Sheltland
image.jpg

The sky blue is always iffy to me as it really isn't as earthy as every other color. Of course it goes great with a blue shirt as seen above.

would prefer country suit in it

As would I. He doesn't recommend it for suiting. Might that be that Shetland is not suitable for trousers? It is kind of loose and spongy, no? Works with the structure of a jacket but not trousers?

As would I. He doesn't recommend it for suiting. Might that be that Shetland is not suitable for trousers? It is kind of loose and spongy, no? Works with the structure of a jacket but not trousers?

yes thats a problem

but the pattern to me is more suit than jacket

Last edited:
Anyone here is a size 42ish Regular ish? I want to unload some of my vintage tweeds. They will be cheap.

Thoughts on this Hunters of Brora special run Sherland tweed? 360g or 10/11 ounce. For jacketing. Was commissioned by jerry Browne on SF. He has been trying to sell remaining stock since 2014

Looks lovely, and if I were you, I'd go for it.

In fact, I might look it up and see about getting some myself, although winter-weight jackets don't get much wear here in Australia.

Looks lovely... although winter-weight jackets don't get much wear here in Australia.

Alright, alright - winter-weight jackets don't get much wear here in Australia if you live somewhere sensible like sub-tropical Brisbane, as opposed to Melbourne or Hobart.

Even in Melbourne, you'd probably only need to wear heavier winter clothing for a month or so, wouldn't you?

Mmh it's been a high of 10C most days this week. Remember that's the high reached for say 30 minutes at 3pm. So it's around 8c or 9c most of the day and 7c at morning and evening commute. And for some reason I need never understand Australia forecasts never mention wind chill factor. Which lowers temp considerably. In addition our rain is real rain not a constant gentle mist like UK and Ireland. So combine low temperature, with wind chill and rain and it gets rough.

The problem is heated transport and offices are too hot mostly. So a tweed is sensible walking to the train or tram or along the street but impractical inside offices or cars or often the train.

I tend to see tweed jacket as a substitute for an overcoat with say cord trousers. But you'll probably have to remove it in side.

No idea how you'd wear a tweed suit here. Seems like an impractical affectation. Real tweed that is. In that the occasions you could wear it in a useful way are too informal for a suit and the tweed is too rustic for occasions justifying a suit.

That said I have quite a few Harris tweed jackets and other real tweeds including a donegal. The donegal is nice but wears so warm it has to be regarded as a short overcoat. To be honest I think most tweeds should be treated that way mostly. But seeing I don't wear jumpers or cardis or vests it doesn't work for me really. But I still wear them and probably 76.7% of the time accept I'm in shirt only on top inside.

For thoughts and discussion:

I quite like this, but I'm not sure about the colour. Maybe the background is throwing me but it seems to be in between a true beige and rust. I think the check makes it bold enough for a sportscoat without being gaudy, but I'm struggling to think what trousers I'd pair it with besides grey - or indeed if that's a problem.

JKTSB3AB018_639_DEFAULT.jpg

This is a bit more subdued but maybe would be better as a suit rather than a jacket, and I have no occasion to wear a tweed suit. Though somehow the slanted pockets seem less obtrusive on this pattern.

JKTSB3AB018_622_default.jpg

The top one is best by a (country - fnar fnar) mile or at least 1.609344 kilometres.
It is in the Advanced Class - but aren't we all there now?
It will go with everythink.
Except the Canonic Grey perhaps. Although it would work with Melange Grey Flannel.

Wear it with navy, brown any sort, brown cords. Dark light, tan, navy cords, burgundy cords. Navy worsted. Brown flannel trousers. Off white jeans. Cacky green cords (not that ANYONE would have those!)

You could even wear it with jeans. If you are the sort of tacky who wears a sportscoat with jeans.

Is it a rough rustic tweed or a faux smooth tweed?

Thanks old bean. Usually my first instincts are correct and I liked the first one straight off. It's real rough tweed too not faux tweed, also with back belt, working throat latch, action back...

JKTSB3AB018_639_02.jpg

Yes I figure it goes well with grey tweedy pants, also navy cords - and would possibly give me an excuse to buy a pair of burgundy cords which surprisingly I do not yet own. Russell Street Russell Street will appreciate the decent pattern matching as well.

Up close it looks nicely in between rough old proper tweed and Italian faux city tweed.

I like them both, but the first one really is lovely. Good selection.

For thoughts and discussion:

I quite like this, but I'm not sure about the colour. Maybe the background is throwing me but it seems to be in between a true beige and rust. I think the check makes it bold enough for a sportscoat without being gaudy, but I'm struggling to think what trousers I'd pair it with besides grey - or indeed if that's a problem.

JKTSB3AB018_639_DEFAULT.jpg

This is a bit more subdued but maybe would be better as a suit rather than a jacket, and I have no occasion to wear a tweed suit. Though somehow the slanted pockets seem less obtrusive on this pattern.

JKTSB3AB018_622_default.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom