Tweed Jacket

Makeup? One two or three buttons ? Hacking pockets? Ticket pocket? I need more info.

Two button, yes and yes. 4 button cuffs. Par for the course on my tweedish stuff.

Was kind of a spur of the moment call. I just has planned on checking out some tissue, but fuck it.

I’ve owned a lot of tweed jackets over the years, of varying weights and densities. I think I’ve come to understand some of the different characteristics- such as Donegal versus Harris. But I’ve never really seen a tweed primer on the different tweed houses and their pros/cons. Does such a thing exist or can one of you outline it here?

I’ve owned a lot of tweed jackets over the years, of varying weights and densities. I think I’ve come to understand some of the different characteristics- such as Donegal versus Harris. But I’ve never really seen a tweed primer on the different tweed houses and their pros/cons. Does such a thing exist or can one of you outline it here?
Despite my hatered for the author, this is not a bad introduction for the beginner:
https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/tweed-guide-harris-history-styles-patterns/

Ordered up a little Alsport II yesterday from Poole.

520019_fs.jpg

Nice. Loud, but nice

That Blue P&H Donegal is beautiful, I've been meaning to do it for years. Not sure it would work as just a jacket though, only as a suit, which has put me off 'pulling-the-trigger'.

Lovely tweed. Jacket or suit. Horses for courses. YMMV

That gun and then Donegal is nice, though I still like the light Moon untweed I posted a few weeks back - at least for my climate. Here is one of their MtM Harris jackets:
FFE9C9D8-91A0-419F-90D3-C150BFE8065F.jpeg
83A94212-CE41-4FF7-89CB-B52C38EE3088.jpeg

Alright, I had enough. You just teased me to kop a vintage Harris tweed jacket off the Bay. Has many chances to fit like crap so not sure I will keep it (rtw, not respoke, I'm not a big timer like you guys), but who knows...

^
Said was often seen wearing Tweed.
Naturally. And a Rolex Day-Date. Though this is certainly my favorite coat of his. I love how he tones it down here with the roll neck (or with a V-neck jumper as above), though I must admit that the PS is too British/toffee for my taste.

116E3257-3108-4D70-8BD4-0A8AB9EAB384-2103-00000204F43CCC5B.jpeg

Edward-Said.jpg

said_011015.jpg

Last edited:
The jois of thrifting..

This jacket came with this repair on the elbow (I was aware of it before buying) but I wonder what your views are on putting an elbow patch in there or just leave it be
IMG_20171126_105735.jpg

Sure the jacket was well loved. i noticed a couple of reweaving spots plus the repair.

Here's a forward fitting for a tweed thing I'm having made. Bit snug round the chest but that's being fixed. I'm okay with having great tits anyway. Tissue is Moons.

z5MxYMo.jpg

UostOeM.jpg

I almost picked up this Saxony tweed beast today. Belted action-back, extremely heavy tweed. No context to wear it in, of course, and I'd feel too much like an Austrian hunter even if I did.
20171129_124712.jpg

Last edited:
I almost picked up this Saxons tweed beast today. Belted action-back, extremely heavy tweed. No context to wear it in, of course, and I'd feel too much like an Austrian hunter even if I did. View attachment 26502

Good call. Bellows pockets on a giacca are a pain in the ass. Had one once and never again.

It's certainly a short jacket - but I'm also a very short man. The 'correct' length kinda drowns me. Although I don't have Craptom's stature, I do at least have an 'obscure seat' so there'll be no freezing.

Here's a forward fitting for a tweed thing I'm having made. Bit snug round the chest but that's being fixed. I'm okay with having great tits anyway. Tissue is Moons.

I agree that it's a bit short - even if you're a bit short, I still think that the jacket would benefit from being a bit longer. As long as the front is cut away at the bottom, it will still look good at the front and will also look sensible at the rear.

I also think that the buttoning point is a bit too high and that it would benefit from being a bit lower.

Then again, I'm not a tailor, so I could be entirely wrong!

I agree that it's a bit short - even if you're a bit short, I still think that the jacket would benefit from being a bit longer. As long as the front is cut away at the bottom, it will still look good at the front and will also look sensible at the rear.

I also think that the buttoning point is a bit too high and that it would benefit from being a bit lower.

Then again, I'm not a tailor, so I could be entirely wrong!

We'd have to look at a full body picture to judge. If he's short with stumpy legs sure a short jacket and high buttoning point would benefit him. How short is too short depends on the physique.

The jois of thrifting..

This jacket came with this repair on the elbow (I was aware of it before buying) but I wonder what your views are on putting an elbow patch in there or just leave it be
View attachment 26411

There are enough second hand tweeds around to avoid those with repairs. I would definitely put leather patches on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom