USA - the lone superpower

Fwiffo

Comes off as a condescending prick
Supporter
Can the U.S., a beleaguered superpower, still play leader of the free world?

"Can an aging superpower still control the course of events in eastern Europe, where Russian troops are massing along Ukraine's border?

It's tempting to write the Americans off.

After all, sanctions didn't make Russia leave Crimea in 2014. And the U.S. position has deteriorated since then on multiple fronts, at home and abroad.

Nowadays the U.S. is preoccupied with China. It not only left a fight with the Taliban, it pleaded for its foe to protect U.S. personnel on the way out of Afghanistan."

Makes it almost sound worse than the British at 1960.

"And, this year, America's own democracy was nearly wrecked by internal divisions."

That's every year since the 2010s started.

Pimpernel Smith

Tone Deaf Daddy
Can the U.S., a beleaguered superpower, still play leader of the free world?

"Can an aging superpower still control the course of events in eastern Europe, where Russian troops are massing along Ukraine's border?

It's tempting to write the Americans off.

After all, sanctions didn't make Russia leave Crimea in 2014. And the U.S. position has deteriorated since then on multiple fronts, at home and abroad.

Nowadays the U.S. is preoccupied with China. It not only left a fight with the Taliban, it pleaded for its foe to protect U.S. personnel on the way out of Afghanistan."

Makes it almost sound worse than the British at 1960.

"And, this year, America's own democracy was nearly wrecked by internal divisions."

That's every year since the 2010s started.
Funnily enough I got asked if I wanted to work for one of the Russian companies on the US sanction list today, the sanctions are specific and limited, but I don't fancy $300,000 fines and 20 years in jail. Especially if it turns out later it is for offshore Arctic, shale, deepwater, Russian claimed Caspian sea regions, or the Black Sea shelf. I'll give it a miss.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Funnily enough I got asked if I wanted to work for one of the Russian companies on the US sanction list today, the sanctions are specific and limited, but I don't fancy $300,000 fines and 20 years in jail. Especially if it turns out later it is for offshore Arctic, shale, deepwater, Russian claimed Caspian sea regions, or the Black Sea shelf. I'll give it a miss.

You're not leaving mate. You sound quite comfortable there.

That said if you ever get yourself senior enough on a sanctioned company to be on a sanctions list you'd best develop relations with your friendly Swiss or Cayman banker.

Pimpernel Smith

Tone Deaf Daddy
You're not leaving mate. You sound quite comfortable there.

That said if you ever get yourself senior enough on a sanctioned company to be on a sanctions list you'd best develop relations with your friendly Swiss or Cayman banker.
I meant they wanted us i.e. the company to work for them.

Fwiffo

Supporter

Synopsis of this exhibition: https://www.saatchigallery.com/exhibition/america_in_crisis

Themes: Rising water levels, Police violence against minorities and people of colour, Poverty, Political violence, Racial tensions

p0bls07h.webp

And the one symbol of hope: a Latino family in the growing middle class of the suburbs of Chicago

Fwiffo

Supporter

“Without naming names, the message was clear: Washington does not have the might or the right to act as the world’s police.”

“When the Soviet Union fell in 1991, some thinkers believed that the Western liberal model had prevailed for good: Democracy had won a global victory and it was only a matter of time before the authoritarians of the world fell in line.

’It gave the United States the ability and the possibility to do whatever it saw fit on the world stage,‘ Fyodor Lukyanov, a Russian foreign policy analyst who heads a body that advises the Kremlin, wrote last year. ‘There were no external restraints left.’

Fast forward 30 years — through financial crises, several heavily criticized U.S.-led invasions and administrations that departed from many foreign policy norms — and Washington’s place in the world looks quite different.

In 16 countries surveyed by the Pew Research Center in spring 2021, on average just 17 percent of people said the U.S. was a good model for democracy, and 57 percent said it used to be.

International faith in the Western model took a hit following the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in 2003 and the financial crisis of 2008. But Donald Trump’s election dismayed long-standing allies and shocked enemies in a way few previous events had done, particularly his criticism of the very institutions on which postwar American power had been built, and his promotion of the conspiracy theory that he won the 2020 presidential election, which he lost.”

Fwiffo

Supporter

"President Joe Biden looked to reassure Middle Eastern leaders on Saturday that the U.S. would continue to be heavily involved in the region as it looks to counter growing influence from China, Russia and Iran."

'The United States is not going anywhere,'"

Top Bottom