Really? They all use specific software to game environmental regulations?

They all game environmental regs and any other reg they think saves them money and they can get away with. And if a lawsuit is cheaper, fuck 'em, let them die. But regulations are always intrusive. So are lawsuits, I guess.

Need a historical reference?

http://fordpintoethics.webs.com/

Actually, let me go one step further and say that in large Corp Murikah (!), the only responsibility is to the shareholder. Period. Their one goal is to maximize shareholder return. Period. Lawsuits and regulations are simply costs of doing business.

You and I see laws as something to be followed, because a felony conviction means you lose certain rights and become unhireable. However, Corporations are never prosecuted in that manner; the worst that happens involves fines (at least, if you're not Enron), and some loss of face. Even then, among your peers in corporate Murikah, they're all playing the same game and are sympathetic to each other's plight. And business goes on.

from what i read prof. dr. winterkorn did not step down

not yet

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

from what i read prof. dr. winterkorn did not step down

Maybe some lower level manager will eventually have to fall into his (hopefully virtual) sword. Most likely the head of development.

In Europe nothing is going to happen to the car manufacturers. Too much jobs at stake, plus in France the state has a big share in them and in Germany some state governors are on the board of directors. Merkel and others will demand a "total clarification" and that will be the end of it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they all did something to get around it.

Me neither. There used to be an US TV show about car manufacturers in the 90's(?), and apparently for fixing an issue with a car even a $1.00 part is a big deal. So imagine the costs for an extra catalyst to pass the test properly. They are talking about 15 million VW cars alone world wide.

Either way, compared to what BP has done to the Gulf of Mexico and the coal power plants blow into the air on a daily basis, any Diesel car is clean.

I thought of you when I typed that.

:truestory:
I still get goosebumps thinking about the old roadrangers. I don't really keep up on the technology now.

VW have been bit naughty and I've been expecting something like this for a while.

Crank-starting it? What the heck were you driving - a Ford Model T?
Not quite - it was a Citroen DS. The crank hole is hidden behind the number plate. Essentially when they built them they ran out of money by the time they got around to designing the engine, so they just dropped in a 1930s donk in it and left the crank starter. The previous year's model also had a knob on the dashboard so you could manually adjust the timing. Imagine that in a computer car today!

Not quite - it was a Citroen DS. The crank hole is hidden behind the number plate. Essentially when they built them they ran out of money by the time they got around to designing the engine, so they just dropped in a 1930s donk in it and left the crank starter. The previous year's model also had a knob on the dashboard so you could manually adjust the timing. Imagine that in a computer car today!
how old are you? lol

The DS was made until 1975 and still could be crank started
True - though in all honesty the higher compression on the later engines didn't make them at all suitable for cranking. I tried it once on a DS21 - that's how I lost my arm.

Not quite - it was a Citroen DS.

Beautiful car. I didn't know it could be cranked.

The father of one of an old school friend has one that he proudly drives around every Bastille Day. I'll have to mention the crank-starter to him when next I see him.

I THINK YOU MIXED UP CITROEN DS AND AVTOVAZ 2105

1298400885_p1060651.jpg

I THINK YOU MIXED UP CITROEN DS AND AVTOVAZ 2105

1298400885_p1060651.jpg

LKP LKP , I like how you gave your car a bit of a German touch by adding the extra Hella lights.

Back on topic: It seems that the German ministry of traffic knew about the possibility of emission test manipulations for some time. But they had no clue that software was actually used in new cars.

Is this as stupid in practice as it sounds? The ministry of traffic had no idea software was used in cars???

This particular software to manipulate the test results being actually used in new cars.

VW CEO Winterkorn is on his way out, the main shareholders are backing off. He could be resigning within this week.

I wonder if all the owners of now not so clean VW Diesel cars will have to pay higher road taxes for the past years...

That's an analysis by "The Guardian" and is just a suggestion.

There are roughly 32 million cars in the UK and still several coal/ oil power plants, so I wouldn't trust those numbers.
I still maintain that England is a Conspiracy of Cartographers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom