WDYBT: What Did You Buy Today

No, l don't want to forget about this. Please tell me more, educate me about cords. It's o.k to burst my bubble. Please tell me everything you know.

regards,
Shooey.

It's not necessarily about their cords, though the first and last time I looked at them (years and years ago) they had a ridiculous amount of plastic/elastic in them (like 20% or something). Don't know if that is standard or still the case.

According to the elders, they were a respectable producer under their real name Leineweber. Like a hundred years, or even longer, ago. Now, they just use cheap contract manufacturing from North Africa etc. So not only do they not produce in Germany, they also do not own any manufacturing facilities elsewhere (as far as I know). So basically they just slap their brand on stuff they source where ever it is cheapest.

But what puts many people off is that they are generally known for garments like this

Style Mike S
or this
846707_7965920_23_4_6_AB.jpg

So that's in a nutshell what's wrong with them, I guess. Understandably, some people don't want to be associated with this.

However, if I were you, I wouldn't care too much about what random people opine on the internet. If you like their cords, that should be sufficient imho.

I ordered a 3sixteen t-shirt, even with a coupon code it was close to $50 shipped. I had to see what the fuss is all about in the high-end t-shirt market (even though this would be considered mid-level). It’s damn nice, but there is still no way they can justify that sort of price. Has a slim, vintage 50s cut and a bit of heft to it - can’t see any tattoos through the fabric, which is rare in a white t-shirt. I’m very happy with it, but won’t be buying any more.

According to the elders, they were a respectable producer under their real name Leineweber. Like a hundred years, or even longer, ago. Now, they just use cheap contract manufacturing from North Africa etc. So not only do they not produce in Germany, they also do not own any manufacturing facilities elsewhere (as far as I know). So basically they just slap their brand on stuff they source where ever it is cheapest.

I checked their website again and saw no mention of made-in-Germany, so this is always a tell tale sign the clothes are manufactured in a cheap country. I then checked my cords and was shocked to see made-in-Tunisia printed in small letters. I won't be buying anymore, especially for $350 cords made in Africa. I like things made in traditional manufactured countries, ie, made-in-England, made-in-Germany, made-in-U.S.A, made-in-Australia, made-in-Scotland.

I nearly ordered custom cords or tweed trousers instead, but l thought made-in-Germany cords would be a good buy. güero güero , lucky you pointed it out to me. I want quality and good bang for my buck. The Brax cords are good, but l always desired even better ones, and more heavy. Instinctively l know there is better out there.

Last edited:
Shooey - I'm no expert but from what I've seen and felt (no smutty jokes please) Brisbane Moss has the nicest cords on many levels, fabric, feel, and colour.

I haven't been able to figure out why some cords attract dust and fluff etc and some don't.

I checked their website again and saw no mention of made-in-Germany, so this is always a tell tale sign the clothes are manufactured in a cheap country. I then checked my cords and was shocked to see made-in-Tunisia printed in small letters. I won't be buying anymore, especially for $350 cords made in Africa. I like things made in traditional manufactured countries, ie, made-in-England, made-in-Germany, made-in-U.S.A, made-in-Australia, made-in-Scotland.

I nearly ordered custom cords or tweed trousers instead, but l thought made-in-Germany cords would be a good buy. güero güero , lucky you pointed it out to me. I want quality and good bang for my buck. The Brax cords are good, but l always desired even better ones, and more heavy. Instinctively l know there is better out there.
In case you still want them: Let me know and I can most likely get them to you far cheaper. As far as I remember, they the sell for at most 100-120€ but go down to about 60€ depending on brand/season/model etc. So 100-200 AUD, but not more.

I haven't been able to figure out why some cords attract dust and fluff etc and some don't.

I have a beautiful midnight blue fine wale cord jacket (looks like velvet from a distance) that is a fluff/lint/dust magnet.

I often wondered if the number of wales per inch is a factor, the finer the wale the more of a crap magnet it is.

It certainly attracted me!!!!

Shooey - I'm no expert but from what I've seen and felt (no smutty jokes please) Brisbane Moss has the nicest cords on many levels, fabric, feel, and colour.

Yes, l was trying to remember that name.

In case you still want them: Let me know and I can most likely get them to you far cheaper. As far as I remember, they the sell for at most 100-120€ but go down to about 60€ depending on brand/season/model etc. So 100-200 AUD, but not more.

At those prices l may take you up on that offer. I do like cords, but l don't want to pay too much for them either.

If you see the Brax `Luis' model on sale, please let me know.

I have a beautiful midnight blue fine wale cord jacket (looks like velvet from a distance) that is a fluff/lint/dust magnet.

I often wondered if the number of wales per inch is a factor, the finer the wale the more of a crap magnet it is.

It certainly attracted me!!!!
I think it’s “a” factor in some. Most of my wide wale (low no per inch) don’t attract much fluff or any but I also have narrow wale (high no’s) that don’t either. That said, generally narrow wale does seem to be the worst at attracting stuff but I wonder if that is because they use inferior no name cord.

i have a few cord shirts. They never seem to attract fluff. I wonder if it’s because they’ve been washed a lot. A female clothing friend blames some chemicals they use for finishing and reckons washing removes it.

Has anybody had wool corduroys?

Not wool corduroy per se but a wool-blend ( for wool: read cashmere). Cashmere and cotton from Zegna I think. I prefer my Brisbane Moss- It is Beefier whilst soft enough for my needs. Oh and I have some RTW Incotex cords from over 15 years ago still going strong.

Brisbane Moss make killer corduroy and really crap moleskin, IMO.

I am not a fan of moleskin in trousers at all tbh. I know it has its fans and is traditional but for whatever purpose, I find a better alternative to dour moleskin.

I have 2 3sixteen tees. The fabric is tremendous

It’s nice and beefy, though maybe I was expecting too much. I like the fit, even if it shrinks a little in the wash.

I guess I’m on a t-shirt kick now. Tellason are doing a first responder discount, so I ordered a few of theirs.

I am not a fan of moleskin in trousers at all tbh. I know it has its fans and is traditional but for whatever purpose, I find a better alternative to dour moleskin.
I like moleskin. It is like a Winter version of chinos. It won’t attract comment from most, whereas corduroy may well do.

It’s nice and beefy, though maybe I was expecting too much. I like the fit, even if it shrinks a little in the wash.

I guess I’m on a t-shirt kick now. Tellason are doing a first responder discount, so I ordered a few of theirs.

Ordering more Tellason tshirts today. they really are in the sweet spot of price versus quality and fit. Good length, soft, slim (but pocket ensures they aren’t confused with underwear) and comfortable. Sleeves are short and tight.

What would you pair it with? My wardrobe is very Brooks Brothers.

what you did was right. It's kind of like what you would do with another wedding tie. Is your shirt bleu or white? Will work with both. Try it mit pink

This could be you except for the fagotty collar safety pin

1594771033563.png

this is a blue glen plaid I think
1594771174592.png

That lighting is pretty terrible tbh, it looks very grey. It is probably best to keep it simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom