WDYBT: What Did You Buy Today

Classic Cordings cut.

However, it does not look like a safari jacket to me. No belt. Only three pockets. Not the sort of thing Hemingway wore in Africa.

It has something going around the back:

Capture.PNG

Not a big fan of elbow patches, but overall this a good aesthetic a different vibe to average linen jacket.

Just took delivery of these from Harvie & Hudson:

IMG_1369.jpg

Decided to give them a try as the pink gingham I wanted from T&A is €275. These were GBP 220 for all three with courier.

View attachment 35285

Decided to give them a try as the pink gingham I wanted from T&A is €275. These were GBP 220 for all three with courier.

Harvie and Hudson were the most reasonably priced of the Jermyn Street crowd that offered decent shirts( that did not shrink or have collars with tips that turn in after a wash).

However, their prices seems to have gone up dramatically. Used to be 3 for around £100 not that long ago. I always liked the big navy and blue striped ones, butcher stripe possibly though they called them football shirts in the shop.

Ede & Ravenscroft used to offer traditional Made in England shirts that were good value in the sale (Rayner & Sturges) but now they don’t specify country of origin.

Last edited:
Harvie and Hudson were the most reasonably priced of the Jermyn Street crowd that offered decent shirts( that did not shrink or have collars with tips that turn in after a wash).

I've got the fine and dandy Harvie & Hudson orange/green/blue tattersall on today. A good look with a navy blue blazer.

You have to be careful with the tattersall/Viyella look. It's a thin line between cash strapped aristo-casual drinking claret fireside in the great hall to farmer Giles on his way to the cattle market.

Honest, hard-working son of the soil versus effete, parasite?

Just avoid any tie with gun dogs or pheasants and you will be OK. Plain wool or tweed tie is fine.

Order pending. Will post picks once they get here.

Never had chairs this expensive before, hopefully don't disappoint.

Last edited:
Retail. lol
well there should be a 6-8 week lead time. take a look through this thread on slick deals. they found an authorized dealer for under $1k in california that will ship directly from HM:

read through to the end

Got a couple of office chairs: Herman Miller Aeron and Eurotech Ergohuman.

Nice - hope they feel comfy.

The office where I previously worked had Herman Miller Mirra 2 chairs:

I thought that they were absolutely fantastic and by far the most comfortable office chair I have ever used. Interestingly, though, they only seemed to suit about 50% of the staff - half the people loved them, but about half said that they were uncomfortable, the seat was too long, the back needed to come in more, or various other complaints.

Then we moved offices and had to leave them behind. I would have absolutely loved to have taken one with me.

View attachment 35285

Harvie & Hudson as much as you may want it, falls into the mid-range, but high quality. A canny buy. And I know diplomats who sport Harvie & Hudson before other ranges. It says you cannot be bought.

So away with your pretence and BS.

Harvie & Hudson as much as you may want it, falls into the mid-range, but high quality. A canny buy. And I know diplomats who sport Harvie & Hudson before other ranges. It says you cannot be bought.

So away with your pretence and BS.

We can't all reach the dizzying non-iron Malaysian shirt utopia you inhabit.

Got a nice pair of navy Brax cords from Henry Bucks on sale, so it was a nice surprise. Will put them away for next winter.

Also purchased a 1960's black cashmere Lyle & Scott v neck jumper. L&S is always so unique in how they used to have the jumpers knitted and made, and they were always so consistent.

Also purchased a stunning silver teapot. Makes the best tea ever. I am a tea connoisseur so l always insist on the best equipment to make my tea. Tea connoisseurs like my grand mother, myself and others wouldn't use anything else. Would never use a teabag or use a china pot etc, l do it my grandmothers way, and l use the exact rare silver plated teapot she used to have, but l now l have her one and my own. It's true fair dinkum aussie icon.
Robur teapot 1927 patented.jpg

Last edited:
Nice - hope they feel comfy.

The office where I previously worked had Herman Miller Mirra 2 chairs:

I thought that they were absolutely fantastic and by far the most comfortable office chair I have ever used. Interestingly, though, they only seemed to suit about 50% of the staff - half the people loved them, but about half said that they were uncomfortable, the seat was too long, the back needed to come in more, or various other complaints.

Then we moved offices and had to leave them behind. I would have absolutely loved to have taken one with me.

They might be comfortable, but they are very unattractive.

I am in the hunt for a new office chair, and as usual I am looking at things like this.
Chesterfield office chair 5.jpg Chesterfield office chair 4.jpg

This is absolute perfection!!!
Chesterfield office chair 6.jpg

I've always been into grand chairs. I used to have a HUGE chair like the one at the top, but it was such a nuisance to use, it looked great and l played the part, but it was too big. None-the-less, l am tempted to get another one. I want a chair a BIG daddy would have.

Ideally l would want my office chair to be made in England and stuffed with horse hair.

I saw this the other day. My dream couch stuffed with horse hair, but ouch, the price brought tears to my eyes.
Chesterfield horse hair couch.jpg

Last edited:
Got a nice pair of navy Brax cords from Henry Bucks on sale, so it was a nice surprise. Will put them away for next winter.

Also purchased a 1960's black cashmere Lyle & Scott v neck jumper. L&S is always so unique in how they used to have the jumpers knitted and made, and they were always so consistent.

Also purchased a stunning silver teapot. Makes the best tea ever. I am a tea connoisseur so l always insist on the best equipment to make my tea. Tea connoisseurs like my grand mother, myself and others wouldn't use anything else. Would never use a teabag or use a china pot etc, l do it my grandmothers way, and l use the exact rare silver plated teapot she used to have, but l now l have her one and my own. It's true fair dinkum aussie icon.
View attachment 35342

View attachment 35342
“ I am a tea connoisseur”

Me too. Decent sized mugs that don’t get cold quickly like bone china.

Good quality strong tea. ‘Red label’ is often a good indication. Assam type tea - but it does not have to originate in India.

Fresh boiling water. Allow to brew until a nice colour with a decent tannin hit.

They might be comfortable, but they are very unattractive.

I am in the hunt for a new office chair, and as usual I am looking at things like this.
View attachment 35344View attachment 35347

This is absolute perfection!!!
View attachment 35348

I've always been into grand chairs. I used to have a HUGE chair like the one at the top, but it was such a nuisance to use, it looked great and l played the part, but it was too big. None-the-less, l am tempted to get another one. I want a chair a BIG daddy would have.

Ideally l would want my office chair to be made in England and stuffed with horse hair.

I saw this the other day. My dream couch stuffed with horse hair, but ouch, the price brought tears to my eyes.
View attachment 35349

Chesterfields and Queen Anne chairs are the way to go.

“ I am a tea connoisseur”

Me too. Decent sized mugs that don’t get cold quickly like bone china.

Good quality strong tea. ‘Red label’ is often a good indication. Assam type tea - but it does not have to originate in India.

Fresh boiling water. Allow to brew until a nice colour with a decent tannin hit.

what is the red label tea you talk about?

Definitely decent sized mugs, l am definitely a mug man. Would be nice to do cup and saucer to be fancy, but they are too small and l am a `mug man' at heart.

Coffee is too over the top. I frown upon coffee drinking, it seems a touch low brow to me. I will occasionally do a coffee, but l love a great cup of tea.

So hard to find decent tea. Even old favoured brands are no longer good.

Chesterfields and Queen Anne chairs are the way to go.
Queen Anne is tops mate. I have Queen Anne furniture.

what is the red label tea you talk about?

Definitely decent sized mugs, l am definitely a mug man. Would be nice to do cup and saucer to be fancy, but they are too small and l am a `mug man' at heart.

Coffee is too over the top. I frown upon coffee drinking, it seems a touch low brow to me. I will occasionally do a coffee, but l love a great cup of tea.

So hard to find decent tea. Even old favoured brands are no longer good.

Queen Anne is tops mate. I have Queen Anne furniture.
Red label was a blend originally made popular by J Lyons. Then other companies followed suit with similar named blends. Gold label is sometimes better but not always

J Lyons was taken over in the 1970s. It used to be a big deal Lyons corner houses selling tea and cakes were very popular.

View attachment 35285

the orange one is to cut wood on your garden?

You can get similar at 6 euros on your chinese bazar and I am sure both comes from the same factory since all “handmade in England” is made on Naples on the best cases and China on the rest...

the orange one is to cut wood on your garden?

You can get similar at 6 euros on your chinese bazar and I am sure both comes from the same factory since all “handmade in England” is made on Naples on the best cases and China on the rest...

You're right there, I noticed that Joseph Turner, had the exact same shirt for GBP 99 for 3.

Have no doubt they're all coming from the same Chinese sweat shop either in country, Malaysia or those Tuscany hills.

To be fair, there's no label stating Made in England and they're reasonably well made. You pays your money and take your chances, unless you go to T&A.

You're right there, I noticed that Joseph Turner, had the exact same shirt for GBP 99 for 3.

Link?

To be fair, there's no label stating Made in England and they're reasonably well made.

This does frustrate me. I'm happy that, in Australia, we have strict "country of origin" labelling laws so a company must always state where a product is made and can't simply say "overseas".

Of course, that still doesn't around the old dodge of making most of something in China or Pakistan, and then shipping it to Italy or somewhere similar for the finishing touches to be added so that it can be labelled "Made in Italy".

This does frustrate me. I'm happy that, in Australia, we have strict "country of origin" labelling laws so a company must always state where a product is made and can't simply say "overseas".

Of course, that still doesn't around the old dodge of making most of something in China or Pakistan, and then shipping it to Italy or somewhere similar for the finishing touches to be added so that it can be labelled "Made in Italy".

I am intrigued that the protectionist EU has tolerated this kind of thing. For several years I've noted lots of clothing items filled to the brim with QC check stickers and yet no country of origin. There was one time when almost every item carried a Made In... label. Now it's almost they're too embarrassed to tell you.

Link?

Or as for many many years leading USA brands manufactured in Saipan - a USA colony - using shipped in lowly paid Chinese labour - but then labled Made In USA. Its stopped now. Can be similar for Guam, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa

Or as for many many years leading USA brands manufactured in Saipan - a USA colony - using shipped in lowly paid Chinese labour - but then labled Made In USA. Its stopped now. Can be similar for Guam, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa

Make America great again.

Trump is the best!

Bought 6 although only 5 were available and had a refund of some Cordings shirts in the recent sale. They arrived on Monday and wore one for work. It looked good, mainly because I knew the look I wanted. Those country shirts work best in larger checks, otherwise they're pretty much indistinguishable from the Viyella I'm off to the cattle market look which is crap.

Brushed cotton helps as well, you can tolerate higher temperatures than the 80/20 cotton wool mix.

Sam Hober Forest Green Grenadine.
GGT-16.jpg

+ 4 seasons of Star Trek Enterprise (T'Pol the Vulcan, nuff said)

Ordered two pair of custom MTM cotton trousers from my tailor; one white pair and a pair in navy. Was going to order W Bill cloth but decided to make do with the Dugdale instead.

Had a good time this arvo: spoke to my custom trouser tailor for ages about all types of things, talked to my bespoke tailor, talked to my bespoke shoemaker and talked to all the boys at Henry Bucks. Btw, everyone was amazed at my navy BIG John Lobb shoos, they were highly polished and looked STUNNING today....they had high levels of WOW factor and were eye poppingly beautiful.

Last edited:
Bought a pair of moleskin trousers by Hoggs of Fife to wear around the house. Pretty comfortable, well constructed and good value for about 50GBP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom