What Are You Wearing Today?

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
Unfortunately, Englishness requires keeping up appearances. So not taking your jacket off in sweltering heat, still less removing your tie. In cold weather, no knitted garments are permitted in the office.
Not always, there's also the dishevelled English aristo country look, often imitated but best carried off when you actually can't afford to heat your stately pad or by pretend Irishmen one meets at the races, such as Peter O'Toole.

The Italians have a similar concept for keeping up appearances, not sure what it is called.

Untermensch

Ratings
Not always, there's also the dishevelled English aristo country look, often imitated but best carried off when you actually can't afford to heat your stately pad or by pretend Irishmen one meets at the races, such as Peter O'Toole.

The Italians have a similar concept for keeping up appearances, not sure what it is called.
He said office, not country house. Knitted garments are allowed in academia, the universities not being, of course, Town.

Also, O'Toole a pretend Irishman? You've done it there.

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
He said office, not country house. Knitted garments are allowed in academia, the universities not being, of course, Town.

Also, O'Toole a pretend Irishman? You've done it there.
He was born in Leeds, as his birth certificate does attest to. The Connemara birth myth is very attractive, especially to fellow plastic Irish folk and drinkers as myself:

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Ratings
Home Alone. Low 12C overnight. Top 23C @ 4pm.
Usually I only wear white socks with jeans and chinos but today I'm cleaning the wardrobes and have all my white socks soaking in Oxyclean/Napisan.

5.jpg
6.jpg

1.jpg
7.jpg

Last edited:

Journeyman

Supporter
Ratings
^I probably wouldn't pair that tie with that shirt, fxh fxh - the wide stripes in the shirt and the wide stripes in the tie are a bit too similar (albeit different in colour, of course).

Also, I think that you forgot to brush the dandruff off your jacket before you took the pic! ;)

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Ratings
^I probably wouldn't pair that tie with that shirt, fxh fxh - the wide stripes in the shirt and the wide stripes in the tie are a bit too similar (albeit different in colour, of course).

Also, I think that you forgot to brush the dandruff off your jacket before you took the pic! ;)
I didn't mean to pair the 2. But my excuse is I left home early and wasn't thinking. I think it's the colour(s) of the tie vs shirt more than width stripes that doesn't work. That tie works best with a plain white shirt. My fav is the trousers - nice Canterali. They do all the right things

Re dandruff - I'm triggered that you would shame me on a public forum.

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
Ratings
Top cashmere from head to toe tonight. Feeling really warm and snug. It's very cold outside.

* cashmere tracksuit pants (derek rose) - dark grey
* cashmere turtleneck (hermes) - orange
* cashmere v neck jumper (lyle & scott) - black

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
Ratings
Are you wearing the v-neck jumper over the turtleneck?
Yes. I often do the v neck and turtleneck look and the cardigan and turtleneck look. When it gets really cold i'll also do woolen thermals (pants and top) underneath everything as a base layer, AND sometimes l am also known to use a 2 ply cashmere v neck as a second base layer with all my other layers and a tweed coat on top with an overcoat. I feel the cold so l need to do these things.

Last edited:

Great White Snark

Ratings
Yes. I often do the v neck and turtleneck look and the cardigan and turtleneck look. When it gets really cold i'll also do woolen thermals (pants and top) underneath everything as a base layer, AND sometimes l am also known to use a 2 ply cashmere v neck as a second base layer with all my other layers and a tweed coat on top with an overcoat. I feel the cold so l need to do these things.
Jesus Christ man don’t you live in Australia?
I thought all you criminal class descendants would have been made of sterner stuff than to be wrapping yourselves up in layers and layers of clothing when it gets a little crisp in the air.

Ratings
Jesus Christ man don’t you live in Australia?
I thought all you criminal class descendants would have been made of sterner stuff than to be wrapping yourselves up in layers and layers of clothing when it gets a little crisp in the air.
l know a few aussie blokes who have started to feel the chill in their bones as they get older. Some of them aren't softies either, they are real blokes.

Top Bottom