What Are You Wearing Today?

Dude - do you even ride?
I haven’t for years. And this leather is a mid-weight not really up for riding anyway.

we try and support our members going through mid-life crises
Your indulgence is appreciated, as always. Turning 50 was actually a very liberating experience - I can buy the shit I wanted as a kid but couldn’t afford, and not give a shit about what strangers think. There’s actually an interesting and long thread on TFL called ‘over 50 and wearing leather jackets’ which covers a range of insecurities to outright childhood regression and everything in between.

For me, it hits the sweet spot of the joy of having something custom made to fit me and not some standard deviation of a typical human male body (similar to how MC types feel about bespoke suits, I guess) and made by an actual craftsman/woman and not a factory, that is so durable it will outlast me and probably my kids as well.

I haven’t for years. And this leather is a mid-weight not really up for riding anyway.

Your indulgence is appreciated, as always. Turning 50 was actually a very liberating experience - I can buy the shit I wanted as a kid but couldn’t afford, and not give a shit about what strangers think. There’s actually an interesting and long thread on TFL called ‘over 50 and wearing leather jackets’ which covers a range of insecurities to outright childhood regression and everything in between.

For me, it hits the sweet spot of the joy of having something custom made to fit me and not some standard deviation of a typical human male body (similar to how MC types feel about bespoke suits, I guess) and made by an actual craftsman/woman and not a factory, that is so durable it will outlast me and probably my kids as well.

Turning 50 what? Not years, surely?

Turning 50 what? Not years, surely?

Closer to 52 now. Senility has set in, so I have the maturity of a 15 year old … on a good day. Case in point ….

Yeah can you believe how lying to the public and being a part of the great coronavirus conspiracy make you look so young?

My Chinese Communist Party handlers give me access to the secret Wuhan biolab rejuvenating drugs made from all the horse dewormer we’ve been denying the west access to.

95 degrees outside, but I’m indoors with the AC cranked and breaking in this bad boy.

View attachment 44859
Dude - do you even LIFT?
giphy.gif

John Molloy
The Strike Gold
Dayton Boots

No cinch backs were harvested for these jeans.

Baggy, wide leg, flood length, and nipple-reaching rise do not apply.

662D1EDF-5C0D-4319-A3EE-F96FDFFE59C0.jpeg

9944A3E4-F079-4F2E-B010-3805C4E81EB3.jpeg

3DDD7AE6-C0C8-44A5-A030-2B130EE53CC2.jpeg

6A2A5A13-4D21-4AEC-AEA8-341AD76532BF.jpeg

I got a lemon

I have like 20 of these at work, they are actually great for hard jobs. I think I am down to one F350 which is for moving the skid steer and mini excavator around. The 150s have gotten so capable I quit buying 3/4 tons almost completely.

I have like 20 of these at work, they are actually great for hard jobs. I think I am down to one F350 which is for moving the skid steer and mini excavator around. The 150s have gotten so capable I quit buying 3/4 tons almost completely.
Great engine, 4x4 and work capacity. Three starters, the wipers never shut off syndrome, backup camera continuous malfunctions, doors have to slammed to shut, tailgate opens when it wants to plus a number of other post-warranty irritating malfunctions.

Great engine, 4x4 and work capacity. Three starters, the wipers never shut off syndrome, backup camera continuous malfunctions, doors have to slammed to shut, tailgate opens when it wants to plus a number of other post-warranty irritating malfunctions.

Fucking bummer. Sounds like the robots were drunk the day they made yours

sounds like a regular ole ford to me

that really sucks

Out of all the leather jackets you’ve posted I like this one the least. Just doesn’t work for me for a number of reasons.
My personal view with leathers is that if you stick with the classics (perfecto / A2 / B3 / cafe racer / trucker etc it’s hard to go wrong but when you start to get ‘creative’ you’re on thin ice and this one is just some sort of weird seventies hybrid.

Out of all the leather jackets you’ve posted I like this one the least. Just doesn’t work for me for a number of reasons.
My personal view with leathers is that if you stick with the classics (perfecto / A2 / B3 / cafe racer / trucker etc it’s hard to go wrong but when you start to get ‘creative’ you’re on thin ice and this one is just some sort of weird seventies hybrid.

It’s a classic Rockafella half-belt pattern, originally produced by Levi’s in 1937. 🤷‍♂️

It’s a classic Rockafella half-belt pattern, originally produced by Levi’s in 1937. 🤷‍♂️
OK wrong decade (still looks seventies - ish to me 😁) but the ‘classic’ styles we know which I mentioned above are all WW2 and beyond. I would guess that leather jackets in terms of style were in a new and experimental phase in the thirties when they were just trying anything hence why it looks like a hybrid to me. Similar to A-1 jackets which some people like due to valspar repro popularity and drakes fanbois but I don’t for the same reason. They look like a mish mash of styles till they later settled down with the much more stylish A-2.

All just opinions of course and the only one that matters is yours not mine!

OK wrong decade (still looks seventies - ish to me 😁) but the ‘classic’ styles we know which I mentioned above are all WW2 and beyond. I would guess that leather jackets in terms of style were in a new and experimental phase in the thirties when they were just trying anything hence why it looks like a hybrid to me. Similar to A-1 jackets which some people like due to valspar repro popularity and drakes fanbois but I don’t for the same reason. They look like a mish mash of styles till they later settled down with the much more stylish A-2.

All just opinions of course and the only one that matters is yours not mine!
I’m not a Fedora Lounge vintage purist or anything, so I don’t think it matters that much - but most people would say the 1930s were the hey day of civilian leather jacket design. That’s when a lot of the original manufacturers laid down the classic patterns - half belts, campus, aviators, Cossacks, Hercules, Grizzlys, etc.

C075F1AD-ED6A-48E0-A118-144AFD6EBF90.jpeg

The motorcycle jacket didn’t really arrive on the market until post-war though. Bucco were around in the 30s, but didn’t come up with the J100 (“cafe racer”) until the 50s. Then there’s the J24 and Perfecto style in the 40s/50s that were copied by Sears Robuck.

I’m not against motorcycle jackets - I own one. I’m not really into military/bomber jackets at all.

1668277893119.jpeg

Being damn tacky in Puglia.
Trousers are Cerrato and jacket is Panico. Shirt is Golia. 100% Neapolitan. Extra pounds is all me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom