What Are You Wearing Today?

^^^

Good from the ankles up. Your shoo game still needs lots of work.

I don’t disagree, but I love my Rossi & Carusso Durban boots for traveling - particularly air travel. Comfy, well built and decently looking, and super easy to get in and out when going through security

1668286729695.jpeg

998B13F6-C5DD-458B-86F9-C536A71D58CF.jpeg

Cheap suit, but I’m still dressed better than most of the guys at this awards banquet. Some of the ladies are doing much better, in cocktail attire.

Also note the colour coordination between knit tie, silk pocket square and bloodshot hangover eyes.

Just showing the colour scheme. Just a nice warm weather combination.

- Silvano Lattanzi shoos
- Gallo tailoring line sox
- custom cotton white trouser
- local bespoke shirt made to be worn untucked

Today's clothes 2.jpg
Today's clothes.jpg

Gratuitous winter gorp-core. Yes, gorp-core is an actual subset of SWD. But I wear it for function too.

-28C (-18F) with -38C (-36F) windchill. Snowing. I'm out throwing hay and watering the critters.

Light to mid-weight frigid weather rig. Small amount of down for the temps. A parka for these conditions is going to have 350g (12 oz.) fill weight of down at a minimum and that is getting the borders of becoming Michelin Man puffy with higher loft down. Or you go Canada Goose style big but not so puffy with lower lofting down from 650 to 700 fill power.

Old school + new school mix. I was wearing the base layers and R1 in the house.

Skookumbrand anorak with WindPro fleece lining, 90/10 polyco Teflon shell (same fabric as Canada Goose uses) & wolverine ruff. MTM.
Huber Dachstein 4-ply wool toque. Single layer. Warmer than a cashmere 4-ply single layer to me.
Foehn 800 fill power stretch fabric RDS down hoody, 100g (3.5 oz) down weight. Good to -10C on its own.
Patagucci MARS MixMaster soft-shell pants with R1 grid fleece lining. Light, bulletproof and warm.
Patagucci MARS R1 grid fleece top. Best synthetic next to skin or first miidlayer ever. Most flexible fleece layer out there.
Wool-X 200 gsm merino base layers.
Steger Cordura, shearling, moose hide & rubber mukluks. Barefoot.
Surplus Austrian army Goretex, kevlar, leather, Primaloft gloves. Just on the edge of being not warm enough.

tempImageJodbkv.png

1465.jpg

tempImageOPOJqe.png

1671511072194.png

s-l500.jpg

tempImageO3ydzs.png

86291.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I'm out throwing hay and watering the critters.
I assume that is hours in the cold? What would you wear, approximately, for a 15m walk outside? Because I had the impression that people there dress like this even for walking to the parking lot. Was a hugely disappointing experience.

I assume that is hours in the cold? What would you wear, approximately, for a 15m walk outside? Because I had the impression that people there dress like this even for walking to the parking lot. Was a hugely disappointing experience.
yes, that is for beaucoup time outside. It is -32 with a -41 windchill as I write this. I went outside to feed the cats in my sleepwear with a fleece jacket and Birkenstocks.

1671541679544.jpeg

I'll wear normal clothes with merino base layers, a wool jumper, trousers and a parka when I go to work and I have a 15 minute walk from my parking lot to office, though I could park underground but I don't. If I was wearing a suit or sport coat, I'd wear an overcoat, probably my camelhair polo coat.

1671541725289.jpeg

I wear this for short periods outside at home. But not to drive the 30km to the city for work.

1671541540642.jpeg

As long as your extremities (head, hands and feet) are properly insulated you stay warm. I'll probably wear one of these.

photo-4-jpg.109

J5QhWbd5TPud6T6hrWz0

For here, -40+ temp or wind-chill is an extreme cold warning but in Toronto they get the same warning at -30. At -40, exposed skin can freeze in minutes. Torontonians overdress. You see nothing but big Canada Goose parkas downtown at -20C.

Last edited:
I went outside to feed the cats in my sleepwear with a fleece jacket and Birkenstocks.

1671541679544.jpeg
This is precisely how I imagined „winter Canadians“ until a few weeks ago. Relieved they do exist!
Torontonians overdress. You see nothing but big Canada Goose parkas downtown at -20C.
I went to Manitoba as well and they did seem more normally dressed. Though many seemed to worry I wasn’t warm enough. I was wearing my regular –3to+7c winter clothes, with basically just one extra cashmere layer. At night with a bit less than –20 and some wind my nose and thighs were really cold after ~20min of brisk walking, but not too bad (yet). Should get merino long johns and something for my face for the next time. Record low was supposed to be –33 around 9am. I was strolling outside that morning around 11 for at least 25min, 100% sunny and no wind, which was not uncomfortable at all and somehow actually nice. It was an interesting experience over all. At lady I met into ultramarathons claimed for practice she would easily go running at –50. She did seem quite tough.

This is precisely how I imagined „winter Canadians“ until a few weeks ago. Relieved they do exist!

I went to Manitoba as well and they did seem more normally dressed. Though many seemed to worry I wasn’t warm enough. I was wearing my regular –3to+7c winter clothes, with basically just one extra cashmere layer. At night with a bit less than –20 and some wind my nose and thighs were really cold after ~20min of brisk walking, but not too bad (yet). Should get merino long johns and something for my face for the next time. Record low was supposed to be –33 around 9am. I was strolling outside that morning around 11 for at least 25min, 100% sunny and no wind, which was not uncomfortable at all and somehow actually nice. It was an interesting experience over all. At lady I met into ultramarathons claimed for practice she would easily go running at –50. She did seem quite tough.
I grew up in Winterpeg. Is that where you were? Where did you stay? We'd be outside all day in -40 as kids. When I was in high school I'd wear a hoody with a leather letterman jacket over it, jeans, no long underwear and leather high tops. But that was when I was 10 feet tall and bulletproof.

-40+ absolute temp without wind is not bad at all. I am always colder in -40+ windchill.

This morning was -38 with a -42 windchill, so hardly any wind. I wore my merino base layers, wool toque, jeans, a light down sweater and a windproof breathable shell. Shearling lined ankle boots. Perfectly comfortable walking all over downtown.

You would benefit from base layers. 200 gsm top and bottoms will do the trick and they are thin to fit under even slim fit clothing as long as you are not wearing ball huggers. Pick up a merino or synthetic snood. You can wear it as a neck gaiter to insulate your face and it converts to full head covering if required.

100962011_1.jpg

I grew up in Winterpeg. Is that where you were? Where did you stay? We'd be outside all day in -40 as kids. When I was in high school I'd wear a hoody with a leather letterman jacket over it, jeans, no long underwear and leather high tops. But that was when I was 10 feet tall and bulletproof.

-40+ absolute temp without wind is not bad at all. I am always colder in -40+ windchill.

This morning was -38 with a -42 windchill, so hardly any wind. I wore my merino base layers, wool toque, jeans, a light down sweater and a windproof breathable shell. Shearling lined ankle boots. Perfectly comfortable walking all over downtown.

You would benefit from base layers. 200 gsm top and bottoms will do the trick and they are thin to fit under even slim fit clothing as long as you are not wearing ball huggers. Pick up a merino or synthetic snood. You can wear it as a neck gaiter to insulate your face and it converts to full head covering if required.

100962011_1.jpg
just move to fucking Antarctica and get it over with already.

100962011_1.jpg
Very helpful, thanks. Yes Winnipeg, stayed at the Inn at the Forks, that is also where I took the morning walk, at the riverside. Was at Fort Garry hotel before, like it better I think, but only spent a night and didn‘t even see the bar, no breakfest etc

just move to fucking Antarctica and get it over with already.
can't buy a ranch there.

I can also tell you how to dress well in +40C without looking like someone on Cops in a ripped wife beater and basketball shorts from my years in the rain forest.

Horses for courses. YMMV.

Very helpful, thanks. Yes Winnipeg, stayed at the Inn at the Forks, that is also where I took the morning walk, at the riverside. Was at Fort Garry hotel before, like it better I think, but only spent a night and didn‘t even see the bar, no breakfest etc
The Fort Garry is a nice old former historic Canadian Pacific Railway hotel.

can't buy a ranch there.

I can also tell you how to dress well in +40C without looking like someone on Cops in a ripped wife beater and basketball shorts from my years in the rain forest.

Horses for courses. YMMV.
I’m dying to see your Brazil in the summer outfit.

Wearing the hell of out the new Aero jacket while I’m off work. Fits like a glove. I also got a pair of custom Railcar jeans with an added inch to the cuff for a slight boot cut.

A1F3C33A-CF69-4A1C-90F3-7918A9E10CC0.jpeg
CF5CD488-3D1F-4D15-9820-2256AB6B2B52.jpeg
8A5ED501-363E-45C1-8950-4489A5655950.jpeg

* Bone 15 oz wool trousers (MTM)
* Navy reefer jacket (bespoke)
* thin light gray cashmere turtleneck (Ballantyne)
* medium brown wholecut oxford quarter brogues (Edward Green)
* dark gray english style cap (Borsalino)
* white linen pocketsquare worn boldly with three points sticking right out today (Sam Hober)
* blood red silk/wool sox (Viccel)

Acting like a real lad today. Mixing with many people later in the evening. Could have done a light blue turtleneck and a Gill cashmere houndstooth cap and reached absolute perfection, but l feel care free today and am letting it all hang out. Could have worn a paisely pocketsquare for utter sophisication, but l intentionally wore a big white one, right in everyone's face, sitting in my pocket all high and mighty. Why? Because l feel cheeky today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom