What Are You Wearing Today?

In the denim thread, people are talking about how they started out with denim and are moving into Classic Menswear from that point. I somehow started out with ties (I'm an obsessive collector and cataloger and as an adult that obsession settled on ties) and moved into Classic Menswear from there. There are few things more pleasing to me than an elegant tie dimple.

Unfortunately, not all my dimples come out so beautiful, and I try to tie my ties only once. Today's example (the shirt is has blue microstripes):
DSC_0067 (2).JPG

If I do want a really good dimple, I generally will, after pulling the wide end of the blade through the final loop, will pull it out again about 3 inches and insert my finger through the area above the knot created by the blade and the knot itself in order to straighten out the blade before tightening. I then dimple below the knot and tighten with my finger in place above the knot until my finger is touching the knot, at which point I remove it and tighten completely.

^^ The best combo yet. The tie brings out the elegance out of the jacket and the shirt. I love the beauty of simplicity.

If I wear a tie without a jacket, I almost always wear it with my sleeves rolled up for two reasons:

a) It frames the shirt and tie better...you have a boundary created by the revealed skin of your arms as well as the horizontal line of the rolled up sleeve against the skin.
b) Though it still looks incomplete without the jacket, it at least signals that the jacket isn't being worn because it was forgotten on your desk chair.

Provided the shirt is fitted and you've got a good body shape (as jackets excel hiding less than ideal shapes), it can look good (better imo than a dress shirt and trousers sans both jacket and tie). If all the elements are nice and/or expensive, you won't look like a cellphone salesman either.

tienojacket.jpg

Wearing a tie but no jacket in summer makes you look like a guy who took his jacket off because it's hot. I never quite understood what the problem with this is.

I think it is that the tie is clearly part of an outfit which derives more from tradition than practicality. Without the jacket, you've half an impractical outfit (with the most impractical part still included), so if feels incomplete. This is one of the reasons why I think the rolled up sleeves works a little better here: it makes the incompleteness seem a bit more intentional.

This thread is like 3/4's me, so I'm assuming all of you go to work naked and Pauly only gets dressed to go to the gym.

DSC_0079.JPG

I get dressed for work but I go to the gym naked.

First ever WAYWRN photo. Kinda blurry. I'll do better tomorrow.

This is pretty much it; I'm consulting part time right now and doing most of my work from home so if I have to go in to the office, this is what I wear. I am brand-Goddamned-new at this so I have six identical shirts and slacks -- fitted blue Oxfords and charcoal flannel, respectively -- and four sportcoats from GW that I've had tailored.

I usually roll without the tie but I have a lunch thing today.

I can see now that I need to get the trousers slimmed and hemmed. They feel great; they look terrible. Stupid giant quads.

BlueJacket_zps3de7ecd6.jpg

Nice fist. It appears the left sleeve is longer than the right sleeve. Also I would probably lose the tie bar.

My left is a full inch longer than my right, so I feel your pain. Seems like both sleeves are a little long though.

If you had to have six identical shirts that you intend on wearing without ties, blue ocbd's would indeed be the right choice.

Royal Navy :slayer
Royal Navy doesn't have yellow, does it? Though your knowledge of regs is pretty impressive. If only there was some sort of live feed where we could quiz you.

Chorn, did you post on SF?
Yeah, I'm Claghorn. A true SFer is not recognized by the quality of his fits, but by the quality of his bathroom fit pics.

Nice fist. It appears the left sleeve is longer than the right sleeve. Also I would probably lose the tie bar.

Keys are in the fist. Old-school military habit to close the fist if anything's in it. Weird to see it in a pic; I noticed it, too.

I'll have the sleeves checked by my tailor. Funny, she didn't say anything but she only took it in.

EDIT: My wife just reminded me that I separated my left shoulder attempting some high-speed commando shit a few years back. I wonder if that has jacked up my arm length. I'll have my tailor measure both arms.

If you had to have six identical shirts that you intend on wearing without ties, blue ocbd's would indeed be the right choice.

I found them on sale at Marshall's for $3.99 apiece, marked down from $45 (Arrow) so I bought every one they had in my size. I got them tailored for $10.00 apiece since I brought them in as a set. They have sewn-in collar stays but then you can't have everything. At least, not in a $14 shirt.

Ominous.

I see you still have a penchant for plunging necklines (I believe I once made a mildly snarky remark about a malfunctioning shirt button):dave:

Haha. It happens when I have a big neck, not as constricting.

I wish I have a better camera to capture the details. The pants are actually navy and wool. It's hard to capture the texture with my shitty phone.

Can't really criticize as it's an entirely different aesthetic. Now, if it were those pants where the pant seat drops to the knees (sort of popular here last year....bloody awful), then I might criticize.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason behind all the black? Is that just what Yohji works with?

Can't really criticize as it's an entirely different aesthetic. Now, if it were those pants where the pant seat drops to the knees (sort of popular here last year....bloody awful), then I might criticize.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason behind all the black? Is that just what Yohji works with?

I take it that you do not like drop crotch.

The pants are actually dark navy, I failed to capture the texture with my crappy phone.

Yohji does use colors (Shah's fits and women's). I do not know his interpretation of using non-colors, but I feel that black channels one's inner darkness. In addition, to skillfully create a fit using different shades of black, IMO, takes trial and error, confidence, and the appreciation of the designers themselves. I love when black is paired with white, reminds me of the ying and yang philosophy.

Not even gonna lie - often when I look at Shah I think he looks like a Mullah more than a fashion victim.

Is that what they are called? But yeah...they seem pretty...not good.

Shah's fits are generally good/interesting.

Balancing blacks seems tough but rewarding. Also something which might require a DSLR...

JetBlast That suit is sharp as fuck. I'm not sure if I agree about the collar. On the other hand, I'm not sure if I disagree either.

crat I don't think lavender goes with that shade of jacket and white pants.

JetBlast Son, anyone wearing that snazzy of a suit is most definitely not a loser. You'd have to be stuck in my dead-end, insanity inducing, nothing of a life to really get a picture of what a loser truly is.

Didn't you at one point, had a bunch of RL cashmere sweaters for sale in MC for sale subforum?

On another note, the SO actually prefers me dressing this way as opposed to gothninja.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom