What Are You Wearing Today?

Summer tie days:

IMG_0002.jpg

Nice jacket. You will have no peace trying to keep it clean. Public transport is out of the question (not really an issue in North America).

But you knew all this anyway.

Nice jacket/ length. Nit picks but a different tie or a different shirt would be optimal ( or my preference, NO tie). Skip the PS entirely or white linen.

Dropbear Dropbear Its hard to tell but it looks like you have wide shoulders and slim waist? and a long torso and shorter legs? in that case the standard part fix is shorter jackets, nipped in a bit at waist and HIGH rise trousers. In your case it probably wouldn't hurt to have your jacket sleeves a bit TOO short.

I suspect what is also happening - due to wide shoulders and long torso that the jacket looks better buttoned up - but when you unbutton it swings way off Front/back balance and looks super LONG at front.

Dropbear Dropbear Its hard to tell but it looks like you have wide shoulders and slim waist? and a long torso and shorter legs? in that case the standard part fix is shorter jackets, nipped in a bit at waist and HIGH rise trousers. In your case it probably wouldn't hurt to have your jacket sleeves a bit TOO short.

I suspect what is also happening - due to wide shoulders and long torso that the jacket looks better buttoned up - but when you unbutton it swings way off Front/back balance and looks super LONG at front.

All of this is true.

I don’t know why my tailor is always reluctant to take more off the sleeves.

If you recall, I got rid of my regular length jackets after everyone here called them ‘bum freezers’. I added an inch to the total length to cover my bum.

All of this is true.

I don’t know why my tailor is always reluctant to take more off the sleeves.

If you recall, I got rid of my regular length jackets after everyone here called them ‘bum freezers’. I added an inch to the total length to cover my bum.

It’s an awful fit man. Look at all the extra cloth bagging around your left chest. That’s the side with your arm straight so you can’t blame it on movement.
I’m wearing a jacket which fits me well and it comes to the top joint of my thumb. Yours is past your thumb so approx two inches longer than mine (I’m over six feet).

Remember you pay your tailor to work for you. Either he does the job right or you fire him and get someone else to do it. You’re the boss apple sauce!

Last edited:
Following your advice, I’m ditching the tailor I’ve been going to the last ten years. He and his son are super nice, but it seems they are best at doing military uniform alterations. I want to be able to get measured and pinned once and pick up the jacket in a week all done. Not have to go in for a fitting in a week only to say ‘don’t stop Martin, keep taking the sleeves up and the torso in’.

I got the name of the shop the local StyFro crowd go to, so I’ll try them next. Actually, our own MFDoom might go to someone close?

But you do have to ask for it, know what you want and insist on it. A lot of these town tailor types tend to be very cautious and conservative in their alterations.

But you do have to ask for it, know what you want and insist on it. A lot of these town tailor types tend to be very cautious and conservative in their alterations.

That certainly can be the case. I used to go to a tailor who was properly trained and could actually make a suit himself, but insisted on long sleeves and trousers. I used to have to keep on urging him to pin up my jacket sleeves and trouser legs bit by bit - he'd pin them, and I'd ask for him to take them up a bit more, and he'd move the pins a bit (but less than I'd asked), I'd ask him for a bit more, and we'd go through the process a couple more times before I was happy.

That happened every single time and although he did a great job - and was very affordable, too - the whole routine was so frustrating that I ended up changing tailors!

For things like trouser hems pin them up yourself. Or get your missus to help.
I often take mine in to the tailors either pinned or using paper clips and just tell him to take them up to that length if I don’t have time to fart about getting changed.

Last edited:
That certainly can be the case. I used to go to a tailor who was properly trained and could actually make a suit himself, but insisted on long sleeves and trousers. I used to have to keep on urging him to pin up my jacket sleeves and trouser legs bit by bit - he'd pin them, and I'd ask for him to take them up a bit more, and he'd move the pins a bit (but less than I'd asked), I'd ask him for a bit more, and we'd go through the process a couple more times before I was happy.

That happened every single time and although he did a great job - and was very affordable, too - the whole routine was so frustrating that I ended up changing tailors!

This is exactly what I am experiencing, but also with chest and waist. I feel that the default is to simply take one inch off everything. After that, it’s a half inch at a time. It’s frustrating because I’m usually in a rush and just want to get in and out. But when I see what most Americans regard as a well fitted trouser or jacket, I understand why they’d be cautious.

These guys may not be making suits, but they are the go-to place for military uniform alterations - something that is very precise but also requires some art in balancing the various requirements.

Anyway, I picked-up the cigar linen suit jacket from them yesterday and it came out a lot better. I also spoke to them about doing the cream jacket again and they said bring it it (nice, as I don’t still have the receipt).

Here’s a thought - buy clothes that fit in the first place!
Obviously sleeves and trouser legs often need a tweak which is an easy fix, but you looked like you were swimming in that jacket.
If a jacket or trousers can’t be fixed with the above, plus maybe a nip at the waist, then you’re talking more major surgery and it’s just not worth it as proportions are then thrown off. After having made my own share of mistakes I live by the rule now that if anything greater than the above is needed, it’s not for me and I keep it moving.

Here’s a thought - buy clothes that fit in the first place!
Obviously sleeves and trouser legs often need a tweak which is an easy fix, but you looked like you were swimming in that jacket.
If a jacket or trousers can’t be fixed with the above, plus maybe a nip at the waist, then you’re talking more major surgery and it’s just not worth it as proportions are then thrown off. After having made my own share of mistakes I live by the rule now that if anything greater than the above is needed, it’s not for me and I keep it moving.

That would rule-out OTR for me, and I’m just not willing to spend on MtM or bespoke for casual jackets.

Great suit. Nice fit!

Did you post recently asking if you should get the jacket to that suit here on on SF?

Thanks man. I’m going to wait until it gets a few wrinkles before making a decision on whether it needs any final fit tweaking.

Yeh, I had the trousers already and asked here about getting the jacket when it went on sale recently. I’ll mostly wear them as separates but damn I do love the full suit.

Thanks man. I’m going to wait until it gets a few wrinkles before making a decision on whether it needs any final fit tweaking.

Yeh, I had the trousers already and asked here about getting the jacket when it went on sale recently. I’ll mostly wear them as separates but damn I do love the full suit.

Looks great!

Always dry clean the pant/jacket together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom