What happened today that neither pissed you off nor made you happy but is nevertheless noteworthy?

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Ratings
I make it a habit to walk quick enough past subway stairs or any stairs to avoid assisting. Too many potential liability issues. What if the stroller breaks? What if she drops her end? You get pushed by someone and drop yours?
:no:

Monkeyface

Monochromatic Clothing Troll
Supporter
Ratings
I make it a habit to walk quick enough past subway stairs or any stairs to avoid assisting. Too many potential liability issues. What if the stroller breaks? What if she drops her end? You get pushed by someone and drop yours?
I've never thought of it like that, but I have my broken back as an excuse now. To be fair, I really shouldn't be carrying any stuff.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
I noticed in the past couple of years people are using mankind again. I remember when I was in uni that term was frowned upon and humankind or peoplekind never quite took off.

I think I'll use it today. It'll match my 20th century anti feminist costume- navy blue tie, white shirt, charcoal grey suit and white square.

LelandJ

Chicken Testicle Enthusiast
Ratings
You prefer the hands free shopping pouches that hangs the baby in front? That's why we have so many retarded kids. I don't blame them though - you'd be developmentally disabled if you had to stare at your mother's chest for the entirety of your formative years.
Train stop with $3M apts:

subwaykid.jpg

Thruth

thicker but more pliant than horsehide
Ratings
http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/22/asia/everest-climbing-deaths/index.html

"It seems that people have this warped idea of vegans being malnourished and weak," Dr Strydom said in March. "By climbing the seven summits we want to prove that vegans can do anything and more."

well, maybe not, dead vegan. Her vegan husband is suffering from altitude sickness as well but has not succumbed yet and will probably get to hospital.

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Ratings
Saw that here - the 2 x Oz climbers - one can't help but feel sorry for them on the death and illness - from what I know - which is 2/5ths of SFA - diet has nothing to do with altitude sickness.

But I thought altitude sickness is like "the bends" and is fairly preventable by being - dare I say it - prepared, proper equipment and exercising caution and sense.

And whilst I recognise that Americans call anyone who has ever worked in a university above cleaner level "Professor" - in Australia, and the civilised world, she was not a professor - she's a lecturer.

Last edited:

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Ratings

LelandJ

Ratings
I have some good friends brainwashed with veganism, one because his wife is animal rights nut and the other he thinks it's good for his health (although he smokes camel lights).

Thruth

Ratings
Saw that here - the 2 x Oz climbers - one can't help but feel sorry for them on the death and illness - from what I know - which is 2/5ths of SFA - diet has nothing to do with altitude sickness.

But I thought altitude sickness is like "the bends" and is fairly preventable by being - dare I say it - prepared, proper equipment and exercising caution and sense.

And whilst I recognise that Americans call anyone who has ever worked in a university above cleaner level "Professor" - in Australia, and the civilised world, she was not a professor - she's a lecturer.
Not much is known about who is predisposed to altitude sickness, which occurs above elevations of 8000 feet. Having spent extended time with groups of people between 8000 and 13000 feet, someone invariably fell ill and it was not necessarily the less fit people. Of course this is the minor version with flu-like symptoms and lethargy

The most severe form, acute (high altitude) mountain sickness, AMS, can result in cerebral & pulmonary edema which Strydom and her husband had respectively.

Exertion, dehydration, not eating at that elevation, even with supplemental oxygen, can lead to AMS in susceptible individuals.

Interestingly though, the need for iron is key to hemoglobin production and oxygenation of tissues, organs and muscles (myoglobin)

Who may have lower iron you ask? Women, vegetarians

There is no definitive science on directly linking veganism to AMS though

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
Ratings
I have some good friends brainwashed with veganism, one because his wife is animal rights nut and the other he thinks it's good for his health (although he smokes camel lights).
I like the vegan diet, especially the raw vegan diet, but l am under no illusions about the diet. 99.9% fail on such diets sadly, l know this because l keep a close eye on things. Vegans are a funny lot of people (especially raw vegans), and many live in delusion. Many raw vegans are very hardcore people, but l have never fit into the mold, l am a very unusual raw vegan by any standards and my thinking is very unusual.

Last edited:

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
I just had a conversation with a coworker next to me. He asked me whether I watched Jungle Book. I asked whether that is the movie where the boy goes against the animals...or was it the natives...or the white people. Then he said I'm getting it confused with Tarzan. What's the difference? It's some bloke running around in loin cloth against stuff. He said one of them (Tarzan?) was the one where he was against the diamond mine in Congo. Congo? So he was against the Belgians I say. He doesn't like waffles. Stella Artois was offensive to him.

Then he said he watches movies either on Netflix or gets them on Blu-ray from the library. I ask why he borrows movies from the library - that's for poor people. They ought to do a check on his income before he checks anything out. He's wasting all of our tax dollars stocking up movies for him to check out when he can obviously afford other avenues. Then he says his taxes are going up - and I said, you wonder - people like you making libraries buying movies so you can watch it for free.

Then he says he watched Ben Hur as well. And I ask why - did he expect a different outcome from the 1960s version? Did Christ escape crucifixion this time around? Did Moses make an appearance too? Why watch or remake something that you already know the ending to. Then he said Morgan Freeman was in it. So I ask him was he in it as an African or Roman - because at that time it's one and the same. Then he said how big was Rome? Why's it so small now? Well I said for one thing it was older than Tanzania where he's from. And when you have a bunch of Italians running a bunch of things, eventually it becomes so bloated in bureaucracy, mafia and general laziness that it'll implode.

Thruth

Ratings
I just had a conversation with a coworker next to me. He asked me whether I watched Jungle Book. I asked whether that is the movie where the boy goes against the animals...or was it the natives...or the white people. Then he said I'm getting it confused with Tarzan. What's the difference? It's some bloke running around in loin cloth against stuff. He said one of them (Tarzan?) was the one where he was against the diamond mine in Congo. Congo? So he was against the Belgians I say. He doesn't like waffles. Stella Artois was offensive to him.

Then he said he watches movies either on Netflix or gets them on Blu-ray from the library. I ask why he borrows movies from the library - that's for poor people. They ought to do a check on his income before he checks anything out. He's wasting all of our tax dollars stocking up movies for him to check out when he can obviously afford other avenues. Then he says his taxes are going up - and I said, you wonder - people like you making libraries buying movies so you can watch it for free.

Then he says he watched Ben Hur as well. And I ask why - did he expect a different outcome from the 1960s version? Did Christ escape crucifixion this time around? Did Moses make an appearance too? Why watch or remake something that you already know the ending to. Then he said Morgan Freeman was in it. So I ask him was he in it as an African or Roman - because at that time it's one and the same. Then he said how big was Rome? Why's it so small now? Well I said for one thing it was older than Tanzania where he's from. And when you have a bunch of Italians running a bunch of things, eventually it becomes so bloated in bureaucracy, mafia and general laziness that it'll implode.
Browbeating the Tanzanian?

Thruth

Ratings
Racist? He's Indian from Tanzania.
Browbeating and using sarcasm on Tanzanian Indians is racist, Racist. It is also against Justin & your Liberal values. Very Kelly Leitch. I think you are becoming Conservative.

Racist. Racist. Racist. Racist. Racist. Racist. Racist. Racist. Racist. Racist. Racist. Racist

Conservative. Conservative. Conservative. Conservative. Conservative. Conservative. Conservative. Conservative. Conservative. Conservative. Conservative. Conservative.

Welcome to the club

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
Fwiffs, Fwiffo, Fwiffmeister, Fwiffasaurus Rex. It is obvious.
Call a spade a spade. I'm born in Toronto. My experience with the country is Central Canada. I'm an establishment character and a monarchist. 3/4 of the government is Liberal. Hence I am........

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
I went to buy Korean pop/boy band posters and stickers for my surrogate daughter's friend. I just had three acronyms to go by for each band, and the shop girl kept trying to tell me which is which - they all looked the same to me.

Then whilst a bunch of teenaged girls were queuing at the till, she insisted wrapping and gifting all of my items one by one using the time to hit on me - asking where I lived, where I worked, what I like. Nothing like a teenage or barely uni shop girl hitting on a grown man in business attire.

Of course I gave her my usual answers. "Why are you the one who gets picked to come here?" "Because I had two glasses of wine for lunch and nothing to do for the rest of the afternoon at work." Hopefully that wasn't leading her on.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
The grown man bit would be one opinion only
Is that flattery? Does that mean I still look young enough that an 18 year old would fancy me?

When I came into the shop, I interrupted her conversation with someone that her dream is to go to South Korea by herself. She professed she didn't know the Korean language so I had to bite my tongue not inadvertently tell her about the blatant misogyny there.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings

Duke of Edinburgh - still in a tie with a white pocket square at age 95 for Easter. I have to say he's doing a lot better than my grandfather did at 94.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
There are so many people that deserve to be alive in her stead. Such is life.
Life. Death. Judgement on whether a person deserves to live. Did you not get your pick of the Easter eggs this weekend?

I'm positive Lindt and Cadbury are running 70% off sales now.

OfficePants

Supporter
Ratings
Life. Death. Judgement on whether a person deserves to live. Did you not get your pick of the Easter eggs this weekend?

I'm positive Lindt and Cadbury are running 70% off sales now.
I do not. I leave easter eggs to believers. Those that are worthy often get the short stick.

Last edited:

Thruth

Ratings
American-based owner of top top Canadian cookie brand, kills production. Canadians in a tizzy. IMHO, the oatmeal chocolate chip version is better and still available. Horses for courses. YMMV.

Arnathor Arnathor Fwiffo Fwiffo ?

IMG_7799.PNG

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
I don't understand the uproar. For one thing I was never addicted to baked goods that live in a box for years. I remember my father bought it when he started doing grocery shopping after taking early retirement but he stopped buying it after awhile. His joke was dads should like it.

It's like the difference between French's and Heinz. I don't even use ketchup much if at all so I couldn't tell you it tastes differently if I tried.

Thruth

Ratings
I don't understand the uproar. For one thing I was never addicted to baked goods that live in a box for years. I remember my father bought it when he started doing grocery shopping after taking early retirement but he stopped buying it after awhile. His joke was dads should like it.

It's like the difference between French's and Heinz. I don't even use ketchup much if at all so I couldn't tell you it tastes differently if I tried.
Exactly Fwiffs. It is an issue for the poors not elites.

I am sure Arny will tell us he prefers these cookies:

IMG_7804.JPG

Or maybe these:

IMG_7805.JPG

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
What happens when he starts dating a brown woman?

I don't see it as a class thing. For 150 calories or whatever that Dad's cookie is, you can eat so much better and I'm not even talking about fruits or organic things. A piece of real cheese is so much more satisfying, or an authentic madeline.

Arnathor

The Hamiltonian Hung Like a Horse
Supporter
Ratings
I have never purchased Dad's, if I ever buy cookies it is The Decadent from President's Choice.

The above post is very much to my liking too.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
Last week I went to the footy game by myself when none of my mates wanted to make it down to the stadium on a Friday night. During half time one of the seasons holders tapped me on the shoulder. I was a little startled as I haven't went to a game with him for years, and he wasn't in his usual section. Good to know people still recognized me.

Last night I went to the footy game by myself because my date ditched me and on my way back to the flat I bump into my dentist and his mother who practices and lives a few blocks away from my parents 40km away.

I'd expect this if I lived in a village of ten thousand but never expected it in a city of six million.

Monkeyface

Monochromatic Clothing Troll
Supporter
Ratings
Last week I went to the footy game by myself when none of my mates wanted to make it down to the stadium on a Friday night. During half time one of the seasons holders tapped me on the shoulder. I was a little startled as I haven't went to a game with him for years, and he wasn't in his usual section. Good to know people still recognized me.

Last night I went to the footy game by myself because my date ditched me and on my way back to the flat I bump into my dentist and his mother who practices and lives a few blocks away from my parents 40km away.

I'd expect this if I lived in a village of ten thousand but never expected it in a city of six million.
Dude, this stuff happens so much more often than one would expect. I've met people on the other side of the world. One time I randomly ran into the same person six times in four different countries in the span of a few months. By the sixth time it was just too weird.

LelandJ

Ratings
Dude, this stuff happens so much more often than one would expect. I've met people on the other side of the world. One time I randomly ran into the same person six times in four different countries in the span of a few months. By the sixth time it was just too weird.
You might have a stalker.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
Apparently our lives are so intertwined and we're so comfortable with each other that it's impossible to explain me to any potential boyfriend, suitor, husband.

Top Bottom