What happened today that neither pissed you off nor made you happy but is nevertheless noteworthy?

I just said f*ck it and upgraded myself to business class for 500 EUR. Then I'll just expense it as..I don't know, checked bag fee.

Food. I just don't care about it. My wife loves to cook, my best friend is a very successful chef and I am appreciative of everything they do but I do not enjoy eating. I like to cook, I like the science and method of the kitchen, I enjoy making things for other people but I rarely eat unless socially obligated. I'm just nonplussed, baby.

You may approach the bench.

Easy, breezy, beautiful,

Hossoso

Hygiene. Some people get off on it. The inefficient wallow in it. I shave, shower, brush and wash every day like the rest of you but there is nothing enjoyable about it. It is routine, mundane. Nevertheless... noteworthy.

A 6ft plus tall Italian man with long hair bent over to kiss me on each cheek when I shook his hand to bid him goodbye.

Second time in the past three months Italians have surprised me in greetings and salutations.

A 6ft plus tall Italian man with long hair bent over to kiss me on each cheek when I shook his hand to bid him goodbye.

Second time in the past three months Italians have surprised me in greetings and salutations.
Don't go to Spain then...

I'm at the VIE airport at 8 on Saturday. At least a handful of gents here wearing a tie. Some in suits.

Last night I went to an Italian restaurant and saw two in black tie.

Last edited:
I'm at the VIE airport at 8 on Saturday. At least a handful of gents here wearing a tie. Some in suits.

Last night I went to an Italian restaurant and saw two in black tie.

tongue in cheek - you don't come around a lot, huh ...

tongue in cheek - you don't come around a lot, huh ...

Where? I go to Munich a lot but that's all for work. It'll be the last place I choose for a holiday. Funny I don't hold the same sentiment for London in spite of being there even longer and more times than Munich.

Where? I go to Munich a lot but that's all for work. It'll be the last place I choose for a holiday. Funny I don't hold the same sentiment for London in spite of being there even longer and more times than Munich.

yeah, that's what I said. munich has a lot to offer. different strokes. nothing to lose sleep about.

btw, if you remember a few of the places/establishements you visited in vienna, this could be quite entertaining, if you could share and don't mind to do it.

yeah, that's what I said. munich has a lot to offer. different strokes. nothing to lose sleep about.

btw, if you remember a few of the places/establishements you visited in vienna, this could be quite entertaining, if you could share and don't mind to do it.

Saint Stephen Cathedral
St Ulrich
Votivkirche
Wiener staatsoper - waltzed right in to a group tour and/or some kind of matinee
Kärntner Straße
Burgtheater
Franziskanerkirche
Schönbrunn Palace
Natural history museum and the square with Maria Theresa
Burgtor
Hofburg palace - actually from the front and then strangely I walked to it from the back and found out it was the same place
Walked by the under construction parliament and rathaus and some winter skating fair in front of it.

Places to eat
Waldviertlerhof
Gasthaus stafler
Strasser Brau (chain?)
Ulrich - next to the St. Ulrich church
Brandauers Bierbögen
Schwabl Wirt
D'Landsknecht

On the last night it rained so we went to some place called Mario's so I could indulge in buffalo mozzarella.

On the last night it rained so we went to some place called Mario's so I could indulge in buffalo mozzarella.

ad hoc - this one? https://www.mario-hietzing.at/en

the plachutta family is an ambassador for the typical viennese beef kitchen like tafelspitz - you name it. they run five or six places in vienna. mario's, named after their son, is the first venture into another kitchen style. it is right around the corner of their first venue -

hietzinger bräu - https://www.plachutta-hietzing.at/en

ad hoc - this one? https://www.mario-hietzing.at/en

the plachutta family is an ambassador for the typical viennese beef kitchen like tafelspitz - you name it. they run five or six places in vienna. mario's, named after their son, is the first venture into another kitchen style. it is right around the corner of their first venue -

hietzinger bräu - https://www.plachutta-hietzing.at/en

Yes. That's it. We sat at the bar area. After about 2100, people started lighting up all manners of cigarettes and cigars around us. It made me tempted. I had the buffalo mozzarella from apulia and Überbackene Zitronentarte mit frischen Erdbeeren - which I think is a lemon tart. Wasn't really hungry with all the wine. I'm naturally wary of chains and franchises especially around tourist areas. Thanks for the backdrop. I'm sure it won't be my last time to Vienna if I continue to be in this firm.

Today an attractive young girl, told me that I look like Hugh Laurie from his House days. Probably because I dress funny and have a funny accent.

Today an attractive young girl, told me that I look like Hugh Laurie from his House days. Probably because I dress funny and have a funny accent.

Your hair is holding up better than Mr. Laurie.

Tell her she has lupus

I diagnosed her with Lyme disease and myopia, then gave her one of my pills before telling her how smart I am. Probably should’ve just shagged her.

My conference for my current firm in Munich is literally two buildings over from where I used to work. Could be some awkward moments.

My conference for my current firm in Munich is literally two buildings over from where I used to work. Could be some awkward moments.

you can always talk about nazis. you seem to be an expert. germans love this ..., still ...

A595B473-33A7-4CF7-B600-DF6B8020AE4B.jpeg

you can always talk about nazis. you seem to be an expert. germans love this ..., still ...

I had a German colleague from my previous company (not Bavarian). He worked for an Italian insurance firm. There was an Austrian asking for rights to administer something and he was repeatedly denied. Finally he said, "The last time we let an Austrian administer something in our country it was a disaster."

We had Our Man In Munich on witnessing a test go all wrong, say, well the only thing that can top this I walk into the office and you're having a party to celebrate Hitler's birthday, for it was indeed his birthday. Needless to say, it didn't go down very well and they rang they office and complained.

We had Our Man In Munich on witnessing a test go all wrong, say, well the only thing that can top this I walk into the office and you're having a party to celebrate Hitler's birthday, for it was indeed his birthday. Needless to say, it didn't go down very well and they rang they office and complained.

You can't even name your son Adolf in Germany. I'm not sure anyone who isn't a right wing nationalist nut has anything good to say. If anything I always detect a profound sense of shame when it comes to the war.

You can't even name your son Adolf in Germany. I'm not sure anyone who isn't a right wing nationalist nut has anything good to say. If anything I always detect a profound sense of shame when it comes to the war.

Western Germany was always regarded as an ally and in the UK on the experience of the squaddies and those who had worked there in the 70s and 80s as a country that had created wealth for all with very little noticeable underclass compared to countries like the UK. No one really considered the crimes of Nazi Germany as something that the present Germans had to account for. Indeed, the Nazis policies ultimately laid waste to the country and their women through the rape revenge of the Soviets. So no one considered it relevant despite the Fawlty Towers attempt to make comedy from it.

Now something has changed and the blame lies with Merkel and her desire to import a strong anti-Semitic class.

you say this like its a bad thing?

you say this like its a bad thing?

For the Germans? I reckon it isn't good. They made a lot of innovations in pursuit of world dominance. Tiger tanks - prelude to modern tanks, V2 rockets - prelude to rockets for NASA, MG42/FG42 - prelude to M60. The allied victors pilfered their technology and made it their own postwar.

hold on. just so i'm clear on this - you're saying that the germans should not be ashamed of the nazi's?

Let me flip the narrative around. The firm I work for and the firm I used to work for were around since the 19th century. If you read the corporate history with the black and white photographs the business grows, opens up international offices, etc. Then some calamity like a world war happens. Germany loses and they retreat back to serving their domestic market. Then during the interwar years they start expanding again and another world war happens and the same shrinkage occurs after the country loses. I'm not sure that it is fair to be on the losing side of history twice and have to rebuild every time.

Let me flip the narrative around. The firm I work for and the firm I used to work for were around since the 19th century. If you read the corporate history with the black and white photographs the business grows, opens up international offices, etc. Then some calamity like a world war happens. Germany loses and they retreat back to serving their domestic market. Then during the interwar years they start expanding again and another world war happens and the same shrinkage occurs after the country loses. I'm not sure that it is fair to be on the losing side of history twice and have to rebuild every time.
Yes it is when youre nazis.

of course you can ..., but then, if america wouldn't have entered WWII, my family would still live in transylvania. ps: hold on, what was your grade in history.

of course you can ..., but then, if america wouldn't have entered WWII, my family would still live in transylvania. ps: hold on, what was your grade in history.

Can you imagine it, like a rework of Johnny Cash's A Boy Called Sue, I deliberately called you Adolf to give you a hard time at school and to make it very difficult to find a job....just to toughen you up and make you the man you are today!

IMG_20190328_1047276.jpg

There are two things in this picture that were or are part of my life.

Apparently I'm a good speaker. My 15 minute presentation will now need to be adapted for a 900 person town hall.

As we made our way from lunch at home to the opera house I noticed more than the usual amount of roads closed for the baseball game and an unusual amount of turban wearing Sikhs. After a block I deduced from the police presence there must be a parade or some cultural event. My mother, lagging behind my torrid walking pace, then asked how much further the opera house was and whether the parade would be in the way. I said look for the highest concentration of white people aged 55 and above and you'll know we're there. Lo and behold that's what happened as we were within a block.

Uoside: I somehow managed to log into an old Hotmail account I thought was long lost years ago.

Downside: they wiped all my old emails last July due to inactivity. No great loss, just pics of ex’s and old family correspondence

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom