What happened today that neither pissed you off nor made you happy but is nevertheless noteworthy?

Uoside: I somehow managed to log into an old Hotmail account I thought was long lost years ago.

Downside: they wiped all my old emails last July due to inactivity. No great loss, just pics of ex’s and old family correspondence

Stop trusting the cloud.

I’d long since given up hope of ever being able to get into that old account, after a gazillion failed password attempts. But now that I am back in, I’m remembering some of the old stuff that should be there but isn’t

I’d long since given up hope of ever being able to get into that old account, after a gazillion failed password attempts. But now that I am back in, I’m remembering some of the old stuff that should be there but isn’t

I have e-mails going back to 2003. I'm not really sure I'll ever go back and check any of the archives. I was storing it myself on my own computers and now have transferred it online. A lot of times I simply use it to check when was the last time I bought or purchased something and what e-mail account I used to recover my account name and password. Beyond that it's a bit painful and embarrassing to go through all my correspondence with my lady friends and the things I was infatuated with at the time.

No but where I was working spent millions on Y2K

The IT consultants made a killing back then. Most, if not all of them, knew nothing would happen and rode the wave bigly on their grand a day plus expenses.

And to think all I was doing was watching Ricky Martin ring in the new year and anticipating the next release from N sync.

Yesterday was Victoria Day in Canada. I worked most of the day. I had a call with my peers and my boss at 1300 and then afterwards ran to the airport. As I was getting out of the airport train I was getting my electronic boarding pass ready and noticed an e-mail saying the conference we had out on the west coast was cancelled. The days looked funny (I was not going to be there Thursday anyway) and so I rang my boss and he said all able bodies have been dispatched to put out some fire in another subsidiary somewhere else. I spent the next 20 minutes on the phone with the corporate travel agency trying to get refunds or credits for everything. Then I took the airport train straight home and then bought a train ticket to come back out to the village I work in that evening.

This job gives my life movie like moments sometimes.

This is strange... I disappeared from the global org chart. In fact, all of Americas is missing...hopefully that's simply an oversight.

This is strange... I disappeared from the global org chart. In fact, all of Americas is missing...hopefully that's simply an oversight.

1EE946ED-4D76-4121-AC00-05B142E83FE2.jpeg

Watching this puts everything in life into a new perspective. Makes me think of the old days where my dad and my brothers might just be sitting around watching the TV and stumble onto something like this and just watch the whole thing. Oh, I watched everything at 2x speed. It's quite long, so I'd recommend that.

Going to an outdoor wine tasting after work in a suit and tie in 30c weather with humidity bringing it into the mid 30s or higher. Also got to see winemakers do a pour and then grab a towel and wipe the sweat off their foreheads. Same with the chap in between playing country tunes on stage. Water was being sold at a premium because for some reason the organizers never accounted people might need to hydrate with their alcohol consumption. I reckon I could have snuck in a case of water and made a tidy profit.

I was at a cooking demonstration last night. This must have been some kind of beginner class. People had never tried rapini before. They needed steps to make roasted potatoes tossed in oregano, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Some bloke there kept getting confused because the chef did a few steps in advance like boil the pasta, or put in garlic after the meat instead of before so he was persistent trying to understand why step 4 was before 3 or 7 was before 8. This is the same man who put up his hand and asked what braising is. I wondered how these people ever feed themselves.

I was at a cooking demonstration last night. This must have been some kind of beginner class. People had never tried rapini before. They needed steps to make roasted potatoes tossed in oregano, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Some bloke there kept getting confused because the chef did a few steps in advance like boil the pasta, or put in garlic after the meat instead of before so he was persistent trying to understand why step 4 was before 3 or 7 was before 8. This is the same man who put up his hand and asked what braising is. I wondered how these people ever feed themselves.

I always think the art of cooking as something you're either born with or you ain't got. You can learn the rudiments and mechanical process, but you've either got it or you haven't. My Mum's got it, one of my offspring has got it, my missus hasn't and me? You gotta' be joking, I would much rather eat out every night of the week. Eating out can be a great event, better than a concert or night at the opera, but you have to do it right. Take the right amount of time over your sustenance and the service has has to hold court as you do, because it's your stage too.

You can do it, and I've done it for years in a row, every night sustained and with never a desire to eat in, but sadly not for several years now.

I always think the art of cooking as something you're either born with or you ain't got. You can learn the rudiments and mechanical process, but you've either got it or you haven't. My Mum's got it, one of my offspring has got it, my missus hasn't and me? You gotta' be joking, I would much rather eat out every night of the week. Eating out can be a great event, better than a concert or night at the opera, but you have to do it right. Take the right amount of time over your sustenance and the service has has to hold court as you do, because it's your stage too.

You can do it, and I've done it for years in a row, every night sustained and with never a desire to eat in, but sadly not for several years now.

I used to enjoy eating out all the time. My fridge was empty. It still is - as I only buy what I cook and I am on the road most of the time.

My sensitivity to salt in my old age and the fact that my brother had a baby meant 90 minutes at a restaurant with moderate levels of noise is all I can afford.

I wouldn't say I have it. I just started following recipes - most for hours at a time - and I made some interesting meals. As I cooked more some of the principles seemed the same across cuisines - malliard reaction, brown onions first then garlic for a short while, leafy herbs at the end or as garnish instead of in the beginning. Once you've made it a few times you can start freelancing and adapting the recipe or using the same principles to make something sitting in your pantry. Of course the most challenging is making something ethnic not knowing how it originally tastes.

Since then I have been wary of going to middling or chain restaurants where I can see something and I already know with a bit of time and effort I can make better.

My room has her scent and she wasn't even over last night. I left at 530.

Someone is blasting Mariah Carey’s Fantasy at 2200 on a Sunday.

Somehow this Uber driver decided to bypass the highway and end up in some rural area. We drove for a half hour with intermittent mobile service. I was wondering if he knew when to turn to rejoin civilisation.

I had an Uber driver who had a playlist of The Weeknd and Post Malone. I thought his music player skipped because there was an echo but actually he was singing during the entire 35 minute ride.

I got another Uber driver in VA - clearly a transsexual who was starting hormone replace therapy because he sounded like he was going through puberty again. In a dress with makeup. Car was a mess but there was a rainbow princess tiara in the back. He had his right hand on his mobile and drove with his left constantly staring at his mobile. I actually felt unsafe in start and stop traffic as he would frequently weave into the shoulder. He took a call and then explained he only takes calls from his mother and his fiancee.

I reckon if you want to be a woman and you have make up on and are in a dress you would do something about your hairy tattooed arm and your hairy legs.

Two days after we change to daylight savings time ahead of everyone else in North America my mobile says your time zone has changed. I open my eyes wider trying to wake up from my hotel bed and wondered which country I am in.

Two days after we change to daylight savings time ahead of everyone else in North America my mobile says your time zone has changed. I open my eyes wider trying to wake up from my hotel bed and wondered which country I am in.

Isn't that the drink and not DST?

A girl I was involved with in ‘89/‘90 just got arrested for murdering her mother. Judging by the newspaper reports, she may get off - cause of death hard to determine because the body wasn’t discovered for a full month.

She was smart and stunning (swimsuit model) back then, but made a series of bad choices and life did not treat her well.

yeah no shit.

did she get into drugs?

Yeh. Heroin, prostitution, couple kids and a failed marriage with some religious dude trying to rescue her, lost custody and access to her own kids and then a string of abusive relationships.

We kept in touch online, but when we were in the same country I kept some distance from the inevitable drama. Not that I didn’t have my own flavor of drama in those days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom