What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Fwiffo

Supporter
I started watching Jack Ryan. One and a half episodes in. I haven't followed Clancy's novels since I was in school but this show doesn't seem to be following any of the existing storylines save using some of the characters.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Tidelands was just ok.

Perfume is off to a good start. The dubbing is awful, so I switched to subtitled German.

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Supporter
fortitude was kind of a letdown. it was good in that more crazy shit happened but bad in that they really didn't advance the plot at all. and only 4 episodes it was ridiculously short.

dennis quaid is in great shape for an older man.

Pimpernel Smith

On Boxing Day I watched David Suchet as Poirot in ‘The ABC Murders’ repeat on ITV3.

Later that evening BBC showed the new John Malkovitch Poirot - starting with Part1 of their version of ‘The ABC Murders’. I don’t rate Malkovitch. I have always considered him an overrated, pretentious type.

Malkovitch does not seem to have a French/Belgian accent. He has a beard not a moustache. He is an isolated figure whose career is in decline. Inspector Japp is retired and dies early in the episode. The police have taken against Poirot and are now hostile towards him. Sets are shabby and much play is made of the rise of fascism and antagonism towards foreigners such as Poirot. I was not impressed.
Peter Hitchins didn't think much of the Beeb's Poirot either:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-6539113/PETER-HITCHENS-Heres-real-mystery-Poirot-pay-BBC-insult-us.html

Kingstonian

Peter Hitchens is correct. This BBC past was dark with shabby, poorly-lit buildings. Nobody seemed to have proper electric lights. Fascists were everywhere and the dislike of foreigners was supposed to chime with a Brexit Leavers outlook. Trains from London to Doncaster do not cross the Ribblehead viaduct, though it does look very nice on telly.

I prefer the established ITV Poirot with a cosy, rose-tinted view of the past - great buildings and cars and all the swells having a great time, being waited on hand and foot. ITV took the correct approach not dwelling on the grisly but treating murders as an intellectual exercise for the ‘little grey cells’.

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Supporter
Anyone watched You or Watership Down?
You is awful. Tried it out for 2 eps.

I just dont know why we needed another Watership Down remake so i never bothered. If you do watch it let me know how it is.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
I’ve downloaded Watership Down on the kids’ iPad but haven’t watched it. I liked the old one as a kid.

Kingstonian

Yes im just starting on S5 now. Highly recommend you go back and watch from the beginning.
Will do when it comes round.

George Cornelius played by Patrick Malahide used to be Chisholm in episodes of ‘Minder’ a more light hearted series. Tempus fugit.

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Supporter
Decided to rewatch The Wire. It really is the best. Im skipping through the annuing characters like Bubbles and Ziggy so far

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Supporter
anyone watching the new season of True Detective? is it any good?

Kingstonian

Midsomer Murders. Episode where ten over cricket format is causing issues. Unlikely scenes of cheerleaders and fire shows at the local cricket ground. Death by cricket ball. Seemed a bit technical for a non cricket audience too.

Also two other episodes featuring Miss Whiplash characters in local villages.

Journeyman

Supporter
A third season? Didn't even know there was one.

I thought the first season was great, but gave it partway through the second as it just didn't grab me.

The Ernesto

I'm struggling with it. Slow and ponderous, which is fine if the main characters are compelling. It's also using the same procedural and time devices as the first, as in old case being re-opened, switching back and forth between three time periods.

I'll stick with it for now.

Pimpernel Smith

Watched the Netflix outing that is Bruce Springsteen on Broadway. It started with him admitting it was all an act, the persona of the working man, the so called Jersey shore scene, some of us had sussed this out sometime ago. But it sounded clever. No further revelations, just an act, little vignettes on Clarence Clemons, his Mum and Dad. Apparently, the biggest moment of bonding with his Dad was when he said you treated us good, I treated you bad, make sure you don't make the same mistake with your kids.

Nothing enlightening there: the power of being on the road of a world tour and those experiences.

I came away feeling my lack of attention to Springsteen since The Ghost of Tom Joad, is wholly justified. I've missed nothing except some botox, plastic surgery, hair transplants and some deep Elvis Presley jet black hair dye.

Roll on David Byrne when he goes on Broadway.....

The Ernesto

Watched the Netflix outing that is Bruce Springsteen on Broadway. It started with him admitting it was all an act, the persona of the working man, the so called Jersey shore scene, some of us had sussed this out sometime ago. But it sounded clever. No further revelations, just an act, little vignettes on Clarence Clemons, his Mum and Dad. Apparently, the biggest moment of bonding with his Dad was when he said you treated us good, I treated you bad, make sure you don't make the same mistake with your kids.

Nothing enlightening there: the power of being on the road of a world tour and those experiences.

I came away feeling my lack of attention to Springsteen since The Ghost of Tom Joad, is wholly justified. I've missed nothing except some botox, plastic surgery, hair transplants and some deep Elvis Presley jet black hair dye.

Roll on David Byrne when he goes on Broadway.....
In one respect it's curious to think people wouldn't realise it's an act, they are literally performers telling creative stories.

I remember seeing a piece a while ago discussing the millstone Tom Waits created for himself with his performance character.

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Do people think Springsteen goes around in the same pair of black engineeers boots, black jeans and sleeveless shirt all the time and at home.

OTOH I have seen him at his daughters horse riding competition or something in some godawful suit that didn’t fit and had enough material pooling on his shoes to make another suit. Maybe he should stick to the black jeans.

Kingstonian

Part one of three part documentary on Britain and Europe on BBC “ Inside Europe Ten Years of Turmoil” Interviews with various insiders - Tusk, Junkers, Osborne senior civil servants etc.

Obvious conclusion was EU will not concede what UK wants as all other members will be looking to cut deals too.

Cameron was relying on Liberal Democrats to block referendum promise after the election but unexpected clear majority government removed that excuse.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
The Punisher season two, zzzzz. Formulaic plot and 2D characters. I liked the first season, but this was ridiculous.

Pimpernel Smith

Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes.

On Netflix and the best documentary on Ted Bundy I've seen. You get a clear sense of how difficult it was to find a killer in the days before DNA sampling, computer databases, fax machines and even the concept of serial killers.

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Supporter
two new british shows - flack and curfew. curfew looks REALLY interesting but its only one episode in. flack looks like it could be fun and stars sookie stackhouse.

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Supporter
finished true detective season 3. what a god awful payoff for all that time shifting bullshit. some good performances but man, what a waste of time overall.

Scherensammler

The Punisher season two, zzzzz. Formulaic plot and 2D characters. I liked the first season, but this was ridiculous.
+1
Frank Castle appears to have some hidden healing powers, too. Does he have something like that in the comics?
When he said goodbye to the girl he had deep cuts in his face, however in the last scene his face was totally unmarked...

The Ernesto

finished true detective season 3. what a god awful payoff for all that time shifting bullshit. some good performances but man, what a waste of time overall.
Hugely missed opportunity. All the tools were there, but they couldn't quite get the job done.

Pimpernel Smith

Queen of The South, excellent telenovela style production.

Given up on the final series of Peaky Blinders, wears a bit thin and so far fetched that the style alone isn't enough to substitute for a believable plot and storyline.

Kingstonian

“They shall not grow old” - Peter Jackson documentary on BBC, coloured film of World War 1 with sound. Really brings it all to life. Different voices of the men involved, from all ranks and regions, relate their experiences as you see footage of what they are describing. Powerful stuff.

Kingstonian

Deutschland 86. Episode 1 - East Germans selling arms to South Africa to help country’s finances.

German with English subtitles. Stylish. Not sure how it will pan out.

Kingstonian

Brand new Midsomer Murders. A craft brewery opens in the an old monastery where a monk was boiled alive centuries ago. Real ale enthusiasts oppose the new enterprise and its offerings. Features a dreadful new pathologist - a real harpie. As it is on main ITV, not ITV3, there are no adverts for mobility scooters, cheap cremations and other old age pensioner stuff.

Top Bottom