What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
I started watching Jack Ryan. One and a half episodes in. I haven't followed Clancy's novels since I was in school but this show doesn't seem to be following any of the existing storylines save using some of the characters.

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Ratings
fortitude was kind of a letdown. it was good in that more crazy shit happened but bad in that they really didn't advance the plot at all. and only 4 episodes it was ridiculously short.

dennis quaid is in great shape for an older man.

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
On Boxing Day I watched David Suchet as Poirot in ‘The ABC Murders’ repeat on ITV3.

Later that evening BBC showed the new John Malkovitch Poirot - starting with Part1 of their version of ‘The ABC Murders’. I don’t rate Malkovitch. I have always considered him an overrated, pretentious type.

Malkovitch does not seem to have a French/Belgian accent. He has a beard not a moustache. He is an isolated figure whose career is in decline. Inspector Japp is retired and dies early in the episode. The police have taken against Poirot and are now hostile towards him. Sets are shabby and much play is made of the rise of fascism and antagonism towards foreigners such as Poirot. I was not impressed.
Peter Hitchins didn't think much of the Beeb's Poirot either:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/...es-real-mystery-Poirot-pay-BBC-insult-us.html

Kingstonian

Ratings
Peter Hitchens is correct. This BBC past was dark with shabby, poorly-lit buildings. Nobody seemed to have proper electric lights. Fascists were everywhere and the dislike of foreigners was supposed to chime with a Brexit Leavers outlook. Trains from London to Doncaster do not cross the Ribblehead viaduct, though it does look very nice on telly.

I prefer the established ITV Poirot with a cosy, rose-tinted view of the past - great buildings and cars and all the swells having a great time, being waited on hand and foot. ITV took the correct approach not dwelling on the grisly but treating murders as an intellectual exercise for the ‘little grey cells’.

Top Bottom