What's New with the Foo?

As I've suggested above, he's a Wolfian wet dream, status-seeking through brands.

Tragicomic.

And a self-appointed expert in all the finer things, pontificating and sharing his wealth of knowledge with the uneducated plebs when it amuses him.

I’ve owned a bottom tier Tele, a Jaguar reissue and a Jazzmaster copy. At my skill level, I don’t think the difference in brand/model is even noticeable.
Eh, I'd give yourself more credit than that, even a layperson can feel the difference in quality. That being said, the gap between top and bottom quality has closed so much compared to 20 or 30 years ago, it's a much different value proposition.

Crap guitars used to be terribad, but now all of then are pretty serviceable.

And a self-appointed expert in all the finer things, pontificating and sharing his wealth of knowledge with the uneducated plebs when it amuses him.
For me, he's showing exactly the opposite. Where is the curiosity to seek out new interesting things? It's living life as a Lifestyle mag.

The custom shop Tele is distressed. While the custom shop are incredibly well set up (for the most part), they are not particularly friendly instruments to play. Some makers will focus more on ergonomics, making guitars that play like butter (I play bass, not guitar, but seek the latter generally speaking). As suggested, starting with cheap banged up instruments gives you the appreciation for the better designed/built ones, and (hopefully) some skills to take advantage of them. I’ve been playing and collecting basses for 20+ years, and I can say most of my instruments are well above my skills - I collect them and love them and every now and then I have a moment where I go “fuck this sounds amazing!”, but they are few and far apart. I can’t imagine how you get to that when you start with a 5k guitar…

The custom shop Tele is distressed. While the custom shop are incredibly well set up (for the most part), they are not particularly friendly instruments to play. Some makers will focus more on ergonomics, making guitars that play like butter (I play bass, not guitar, but seek the latter generally speaking). As suggested, starting with cheap banged up instruments gives you the appreciation for the better designed/built ones, and (hopefully) some skills to take advantage of them. I’ve been playing and collecting basses for 20+ years, and I can say most of my instruments are well above my skills - I collect them and love them and every now and then I have a moment where I go “fuck this sounds amazing!”, but they are few and far apart. I can’t imagine how you get to that when you start with a 5k guitar…

I'm still pretty dumbfounded any new guitar cost 5k. I remember when crossing the 1K barrier was something. When Les Pauls hit 2,500 bucks I thought it was criminal.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it here before, but my dad was a professional musician when I was born, bass player. He has a 1962 J Bass you would drool over.

Of course he got a fucking Telecaster Custom Shop!

this might be his most pretentious picture yet. all the disparate elements of "coolness" coming together to make it look like something that was put together by an interior designer to look like a middle aged man's play room but "stylish".

this might be his most pretentious picture yet. all the disparate elements of "coolness" coming together to make it look like something that was put together by an interior designer to look like a middle aged man's play room but "stylish".

That guitar strap matches with the cowboy shoes some of you put on him. Nice eye!

Life as a lifestyle mag.

I wonder how much he dropped on that Tele; when I picked up my first one, I started with a Squier., easy to learn on.

Did he bang the body just so it looks like a vintage thirst?

I'd probably guess for what I've learned about Foo so far that it's possibly a Master built one (meaning you choose which Master builder will work on it), and that can add 20%-40% more to the price

I'd probably guess for what I've learned about Foo so far that it's possibly a Master built one (meaning you choose which Master builder will work on it), and that can add 20%-40% more to the price

You’re the guy with his head in a vice?

I prefer the scene of the other faker whose hand is hammered.

That should be done with all the untailoirs, specially Tanga and Burgos.

I am more like the one who menaces the bankster in the house of DeNiro with I will break
your head, will stay 5 years in prison and when I´ll go out will break your head again in case you
are out of the hospital yet.

That’s me, that´s the way I work, u know, because I am brainless.

Love that scene

Is that a new, but "pre-distressed" guitar?

The website has a link for one that's not chipped and is GBP300 cheaper, so it looks as though it costs more to get one that's been battered so that you can pretend to be cool while you play it, even though you are deeply uncool.

Is that a new, but "pre-distressed" guitar?

The website has a link for one that's not chipped and is GBP300 cheaper, so it looks as though it costs more to get one that's been battered so that you can pretend to be cool while you play it, even though you are deeply uncool.

yup, it's new, pre-distressed guitar, and it's an add-on that you choose and pay for.

This pre-distressed lark is an interesting phenomenon, needs a bit of a discussion.

Without venturing too far into the wild and wooly world of psychosis, there's clearly a subconscious need to give some sort of depth to these people's existence that is currently lacking.

Without venturing too far into the wild and wooly world of psychosis, there's clearly a subconscious need to give some sort of depth to these people's existence that is currently lacking.
Leaving aside personal pathologies, this phenomenon goes back to at least the Romantic period. English aristocrats use to build ruins (follies) on their estates

I'm intrigued by it...

That bespoke western shirt thread is the most fun I've had on a forum since the early days of eGullet.

That bespoke western shirt thread is the most fun I've had on a forum since the early days of eGullet.
There’s many a grea Foo thread.

but the full on most amusing iGent thread is by the bloke who ran into , er, um the American guy who had the expensive style blog and sold a bit of stuff. I forget his name. Will?..

he ran into him somewhere in Italy pestered him to share a drink and got caught short of cash. Still makes me laugh.

There’s many a grea Foo thread.

but the full on most amusing iGent thread is by the bloke who ran into , er, um the American guy who had the expensive style blog and sold a bit of stuff. I forget his name. Will?..

he ran into him somewhere in Italy pestered him to share a drink and got caught short of cash. Still makes me laugh.
Yeah, Will from ASW (SOLD to Kirby Allison).

That was a real agent tale. Will was a gent about it and apparently took care of the pest's bill and his etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom