Why Is Health Care In America So Fucked Up?

Journeyman

Supporter
i'm dying to see the two sides on this one
Those costs seem insane.

I've taken my children to the emergency room of a local, private hospital on a few occasions, mainly for potential broken bones. From memory, it's cost $190 each time and that included a physical examination, X-ray and bandaging or splinting. Admittedly, there were no complex issues such as concerns about medication or other complications that had to be considered.

I could have taken them to the emergency room of a public hospital but that's a few kilometres further away and we would have had to wait longer. However, if we'd done so, it would have been absolutely free.

Pimpernel Smith

Rambo

Fucked Walker In The Face
Supporter
Hence, medical insurance should be compulsory for those who work and can afford it, for those who can't the insurance is provided by the state as safety net.
no, not hence. not hence! this is the absolute worst conclusion to take away from this article. mind you, we're in the middle of a pandemic wherein half of the population can't actually work.

Pimpernel Smith

no, not hence. not hence! this is the absolute worst conclusion to take away from this article. mind you, we're in the middle of a pandemic wherein half of the population can't actually work.
Someone, somewhere needs to pay for the production of all the medicines, doctors, nurses and associated services at hospitals. The NHS demonstrates that the cradle to the grave system is not that great compared to comparable nations in mainland Europe.

As regards, the current situation, then of course, there should be massive government support and intervention. You will see that in the US and elsewhere as the death tallies mount.

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Pimpernel Smith Journeyman fxh i'm dying to see the two sides on this one

I don't need to tell you that ALL of that here would be FREE to the patient.

I could do some research to estimate a cost of the episode here but it would take a while and I'm still busy.

I can tell you that in about a week The Australian (Federal)** Government will be setting up a Medicare Claim Item for COVID-19 GP run clinics. I know it will reimburse GPs about $125aud for one test. I've done a bit of work on it and its probably a fair bit above the actual cost to GPs as it likely to take less than 10 minutes. (But there extra costs, consumables, masks etc and security guards, + nurse who will do most work and possibly rooms extra away from usual waiting rooms etc.).
Edit:: I just remembered they will also grant up to $150,000 one off to the clinic for capital costs etc.

I don't have a figure but I'd estimate the lab test is in the order of somewhat less than $50aud a pop. Then there is mailing and ringing people with tests and some admin and data work.

So I'd guess that the true TOTAL cost to Gov - the single payer - is $200aud - $250aud. Not a lot more.

By next week - there will also be a Medicare reimbursement item for GPS for phone and video consults for ALL items - which doesn't exist at all now. So that will dramatically lower the number of people going to GP clinics. Thus freeing up clinics for testing etc.

** THE Australian Government here funds GPs through medicare, a time and episode based system of reimbursement) but the States fund hospitals. In my state on a Casemix - Unit Cost basis. With Capital costs separate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom