Why we don't like the clothes we don't like...

Maybe if the sleeves are slimmer, the length might look fine. But I like the jean stacking.

So I take that you are not a fan of Rick then?

But the idea is you are buying a piece of art that took some ingenuity to produce and some abstract atheistic idea to appreciate. Think of Picasso vs Terence Koh. Not the best analogy, but you get the idea.

This holds true for anything, be it ties or denim. Difficulty should not supersede, nor replace, the aesthetic (though it certainly may complement). There is an argument to be made for the aesthetic of Picasso. There needs to be an argument made for the aesthetic of those shoes (or any article of clothing for that matter...especially with regards to SW&D since it's all aesthetics there...I refuse to acknowledge ninjagoth as a sartorial tradition). Difficulty shouldn't factor into your decision to wear it because by wearing it, you are passing on items which are equally difficult to manufacture. The reason you pass on those others items is the reason you wear that particular outfit (be it an 11 fold tie or dropcrotch pants made of snow leopard fur and shark teeth).

First picture:
There are a couple of issues with that fit (though it's still pretty solid/conservative-for-swd). Sleeves are too long (minor aesthetic preference) and I dislike the shirt poking out from under the jacket...makes it seem like the jacket is too short (medium aesthetic preference). Most of all, I dislike that the pants and the shoes blend together completely. It's almost as if he is wearing a onesie from the waist down. I'd feel the same way about someone wearing a shirt and tie that are the same shade.

Second picture:
Can't see much going on with the pants (though I probably wouldn't like it from what I can tell). I do like the top half a lot though.

I see that long sleeved leather jacket look a LOT and it drives me nuts. For me, that is a great example for Chorn Chorn 's thread. I just cannot bring myself to like such a ridiculous looking sleeve. Might be because I have shorter arms than my shoulder size woukd require and thus always have to have my sleeves altered lest I end up looking ridiculous like that.

I was having some fun with that earlier. Don't tell anyone.

Spoke too soon. Seems I've been banned again. Man, you can't even make fun of one dickhead in a camo suit these days without getting recognized. The nicenicks have completely overrun the joint.

I don't get the wannabe vibe from it, but agree about it being harsh on the eyes and tacky.

That much discordance (the informality of camo with the formality of a suit) will always interfere with the aesthetic.

I was having some fun with that earlier. Don't tell anyone.
Link?

FWIW, he had an outfit on there beforehand where he was wearing only the SC with very bright Walts and some Nikes.

I thought it could appeal to some, and thought the camo blazer alone could be fairly cool in the right circumstances.

FWIW, he had an outfit on there beforehand where he was wearing only the SC with very bright Walts and some Nikes.

I thought it could appeal to some, and thought the camo blazer alone could be fairly cool in the right circumstances.

I know, I commented on that one as well...

The worst part is that he's going to be using those image for promotional materials.

Ok, just what in the fuck is there to like about this:

http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2013/07/31/edward-green-henley-lsw/

Edward Green – Henley (LSW)
hen1.jpg

Edward Green – Henley (LSW)
Posted by TP
The Henley is one of Edward Green’s newest models. We chose to release it in a combination of dark oak antique and midnight navy suede which gives it a unique contrast and very wearable with many shades.

(888 last, $1180.00)

While I'm on my Leather Soul jag, this is a fucking Park Avenue. Fuck you and your 'attorney' shoe:

http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2012/08/03/alden-shoe-attorney-shoe-in-black-calf-lsw/
bas1.jpg

Designed specifically for our many local attorney clients who make the walk from Downtown Honolulu to district court, we present to you, the “Attorney Shoe.”

For an everyday, workhorse dress shoe, we thought the perfect choice would be a classic perforated tip oxford on the Plaza last. Alden’s deep burgundy dress calf works nicely with navy, charcoal grey, olive, tan…pretty much any color you can think of. The oiled flex single leather sole provides comfort for walking while still maintaining a dressy profile.

Just because you are not an attorney doesn’t mean this shoe isn’t for you! We could have easily called it the “Every Man Should Own It Shoe!”

Nothing wrong with that name. It's a very conservative and comfortable shoe that could work for an attorney or anyone needing a black oxford.

Probably very comfortable because of the flex sole. My Alden loafers are super comfortable and are great for long walks.

Also, it's a punchcap, so it's closest AE model would be the Fifth Avenue
You know what I meant!

Generally, the only shoes I like which mix materials are this kind:

3010-Edward-Green-Galway3.jpg

There is a lot about Suit Supply that I like. I definitely like the way they look on people. I don't think I'll ever buy anything from them because nine tenths of their models are wearing sunglasses.

Back to the original topic, I don't like monk strap shoes because they are a lie. The buckle and strap are as useless as those on engineer boots. They are loafers with tacked-on bric-a-brac. Dishonest representation.

Same on my dubmonks. Because of the stiffness of the leather right now, they can be worn unbuckled, but they are floppy as all getout. I seal them using the buckles.

All of my monks have functional buckles but I suspect that 90% of the ones you might see walking around are below the collective standards of the forum.
All of them I've seen have had functional buckles as well, but their ability to make any difference in regards to shoe fit was dubious at best, even with several holes in the straps.

That's not true. On many quality shoes the buckle and strap are real. They are on my Aldens, anyway.

I have some EG monks that I can't even get on without undoing the buckle, and do up again to keep them tight, as if they were laced shoes. Indeed they feel and fit more like oxfords than loafers.

There is a lot about Suit Supply that I like. I definitely like the way they look on people. I don't think I'll ever buy anything from them because nine tenths of their models are wearing sunglasses.
:LOLguy: I have walked past their london shop often, but never gone in as I don't feel trendy enough.

I can't put my finger on that green thing. At first, I thought it was the Cobra logo from GI Joe. Then I thought it was the Hydra logo from Avengers. This is perplexing me.

I dislike whole cut shoes. They have do depth, no dimension to them. It's a slab surface.
I've read about motorcycle design, where they mention that a bike is fairly flat and need to be visually broken up to visually add depth, and I feel the same about shoes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom