Why we don't like the clothes we don't like...

Nor do I, but the navy shells Carmina has are exception making lovely.

Hallo CM!

But there's got to be a reason why you dislike them, even if it's just post hoc analysis. I probably dislike bengal stripes because they are an inversion of what my eye has come to expect, prompting a negative reaction from me (a deviation from what is expected might not do this, but a bengal stripe is in direct contrast)

I hate faux pocket squares. More than half of the PS I see on the street are these strips of satin or silk glued onto paper. Even worse are those sewn into the jacket pocket. Why this is done I have no idea. Seems like it makes the jacket less versatile.

As far as why I dislike it (outside of lacking appropriate depth): the PS is clearly the most unnecessary element of classic menswear...faking a superfluous element is ridiculous.

I'll keep a tally over the next few days, but I think maybe closer to 2/3s are faux pocket squares. I know I saw four today (and no real ones). And then one actually sewn into the jacket.

At a bar a girl once came up to me and pulled out my pocketsquare, exclaiming with surprise that it was a real pocketsquare. Needless to say, I did not offer to buy her a drink.

Well you'd think you'd learn that no matter how fine the silk, a Drakes pocket square is no substitute for a condom.

Not in the wild, but on a mannequin at E-Mart (imagine a giant Target which carries name brands and has a huge grocery section). The gold thing is the tag. The atrocious thing in the pocket is the faux square. Also, it's sewn in.

photo(13).JPG

AE "granite" calf, wtf?

2 out of 10 on explaining why you dislike it.

Seen a lot of that kind of "texturing" on brands pushed by Kohls, Aldo, and the like. :annoyed-76:

Yup, basically looks like a dirty black shoe. I think the idea might be interesting...I've seen, I think from AE, a cloudy gray shoe that looked alright. But it was clearly a casual shoe.

...because when the color block of the shirt ends at the same point as the color block of the jacket, it creates the sense that it is a single item (we know it isn't, but part of our brain will register it as such at first glance). Imagine an overlarge shirt with a single, broad 10 inch strip of color descending down the middle...uchhhh

As odd as it is to wear an overcoat without a jacket, provided the overcoat is slim enough, I bet it would look better with an untucked shirt than a regular jacket would have.

In addition, I suppose the unclean lines of the end of the shirt aren't pleasant. With it tucked, you have the straight line of the pant waist as well as the belt creating a color border which clearly doesn't extend to the jacket.

[EDIT] Also, that's the kind of analysis I was hoping to encourage in this thread. That being said, I am also totally ok with you guys posting stuff you don't like and me trying to figure out why you don't like it.

probably inspired by the italian brands like santoni, sutor mantellasi, etc..? whatever- it's off putting.

speaking of which... the untucked shirt under a sc look is fucking horrible.

tfi_lance-reddick.jpg

Worst look ever, represents laziness.

How do we draw the line between laziness and nonchalance?

It's in the eye of the viewer, so what one person may see as laziness or sloppiness another may see as sprezz; I guess the goal is to increase the odds that your outfit is perceived in the latter light rather than the former. Part of that will be factors external to the clothing--confidence, existing knowledge of the wearer, physical attractiveness, etc--but part of it will just be aesthetics; the above look isn't aesthetically pleasing for the reasons outlined in the previous post.

If 80% of the people you see on the street figure your narrow end of the tie being longer than the wide end to be sprezz, be it intentional or unintentional, you've succeeded. Only 20%, you've failed.

I was talking about sartorial nonchalance as a whole (or rather, how to balance it with the fact that you clearly give a damn), not just with regards to untucked shirts. The far right is just awful; it actually gives the impression of a bunch of clothes heaped on the floor. The middle one has too much of an "I'm too cool for school vibe to it." A little asymmetry is fine, but it doesn't work here because there are way too many other items/colors/lines. The picture on the left looks the best of the three. I'd say in its context, it works.

None of those really address the issue with the untucked shirt with a jacket though. That doesn't work aesthetically for an entirely different set of reasons.

I dislike overly narrow leg opening in general in a suit. The suit is designed to create a slightly triangular torso...overly narrow leg openings take the taper all the way to the ground which looks a little odd...off balance.

Stacking is caused by pant width not leg opening? If anything, a narrower leg opening will increase stacking.

How do we draw the line between laziness and nonchalance?

It's in the eye of the viewer, so what one person may see as laziness or sloppiness another may see as sprezz; I guess the goal is to increase the odds that your outfit is perceived in the latter light rather than the former. Part of that will be factors external to the clothing--confidence, existing knowledge of the wearer, physical attractiveness, etc--but part of it will just be aesthetics; the above look isn't aesthetically pleasing for the reasons outlined in the previous post.

If 80% of the people you see on the street figure your narrow end of the tie being longer than the wide end to be sprezz, be it intentional or unintentional, you've succeeded. Only 20%, you've failed

In the picture above, the shirt and the jacket are too formal for it to be untucked, which makes the look completely sloppy.

I agree, though I'd argue that even with a less formal jacket and an ocbd shirt, it would look off unless the jacket extended at least an inch or so past the shirt.

This was brought to my attention by acidboy in another thread, and I'm not even sure whether I dislike them or not...

But I just don't get Norwegian Split Toe, nor why it can be considered at more formal style.

I like split toe shoes.

Mainly because I have enormous Goddamned feet. The military has destroyed my feet. I joined the Army with size 9 feet. I now have 10.5 EEE feet; my arches are gone, most of my toenails are gone, and I've had multiple fractures in both feet to the point where they've flattened out like flippers. My AE Ashtons actually look good; the split toe makes my feet look . . . not streamlined, but rather the opposite. Purposeful. Reinforced, almost. I'm afraid of what my feet will look like in a balmoral, frankly.

I like split toe shoes.

Mainly because I have enormous Goddamned feet. The military has destroyed my feet. I joined the Army with size 9 feet. I now have 10.5 EEE feet; my arches are gone, most of my toenails are gone, and I've had multiple fractures in both feet to the point where they've flattened out like flippers. My AE Ashtons actually look good; the split toe makes my feet look . . . not streamlined, but rather the opposite. Purposeful. Reinforced, almost. I'm afraid of what my feet will look like in a balmoral, frankly.

My size brother from another mother! Let me know if you need help picking out shooze.

My size brother from another mother! Let me know if you need help picking out shooze.

I just want dress shoes that don't make it look like I'm wearing swim fins. I'm open to suggestions. Maybe a "Fat Feet" thread?

I don't not like Alden's, as many of you have probably put together. But photos like this piss me off beyond measure.

Reasoning:

One of the big justifications behind paying for cordovan is that is ages well. This is negated when your leather starts out looking like black kiwi fruit.

It's the process and the artistic skills that go into the those above that make them expensive. Not my cup of tea, but just saying.

The difficulty required to produce an object is reflected in the price of the object, but it shouldn't be reflected in our decision to buy it.

I had to.

But the idea is you are buying a piece of art that took some ingenuity to produce and some abstract atheistic idea to appreciate. Think of Picasso vs Terence Koh. Not the best analogy, but you get the idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom